Phoenix Mode.

Jedi

Isn't the permanent death thing one of the things that set Fire Emblem apart from other SRPGs? The fact that your units are not expendable? I can understand making the game more accessible but I don't think this is the way to do it. I feel like they are sacrificing a lot of what made the series great to make it more user-friendly. I realize no one HAS to play in this mode but the fact that it exists cheapens the whole experience

I'd say its gameplay more so separated it. Considering almost no other SRPGs use the style other then like the old Shining Force games and even they differed so yeah.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Famitsu scans leaked today and there was an interview. According to that, if I can sum up the translator correctly, Phoenix mode was added as kind of a way so if players get stuck in the more difficult settings, they can bring the difficultydown, permanently, and still complete the game. I assumed something like this was the case as I guessed Phoenix mode was a way to get newer/less experienced players into the Nohr path as it would be the more difficult. From what I've gained, the creators don't expect anyone to play the entire game in Phoenix mode, but for players to use as a crutch in case they ran into any insurmountable obstacles later in the game.

And even if this wasn't the case, someone said earlier that the inclusion of Casual mode enticed them to try more strategies. While I don't personally think Casual would cause someone to limit their strtegies, Phoenix is a whole new experience and will more than likely originate new innovative strategies and ways to play the game due to how easy the mode would be to experiment with.

We agree.

This is nonsense, right ?

The Phoenix mode is here to "bring down" the diffculty of a higher difficulty mode ... ?

Then, why would you play that difficulty mode in the first place ? That's totally illogical.

At this rate, just try to play in Normal mode, and that would be the same.

People that play Lunatic play it for the CHALLENGE part. Not for being assisted as guys without brains...

This is a contradiction with a higher difficulty's goal....

Mate, I really hope your translation was wrong, because here, I've lost fate in every kind of logic...

Edited by Finn

Phoenix mode is here to "bring down" the diffculty of a higher difficulty mode ... ?

Then, why would you play that difficulty mode in the first place ? That's totally illogical.

People that play Lunatic play it for the CHALLENGE part. Not for being assisted as guys without brains...

How dare I screw around in Lunatic and not for the challenge?

Ub1lWCi.pngrwzJUfg.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

We agree.

This is nonsense, right ?

The Phoenix mode is here to "bring down" the diffculty of a higher difficulty mode ... ?

This is a contradiction with a higher difficulty's goal....

Mate, I really hope your translation was wrong, because here, I've lost fate in every kind of logic...

I actually think this feature was included to try to encourage people to challenge themselves in the game since if they get completely stuck they could just lower the difficulty and not have to restart the entire game again. Well, that's my take on it.

Phoenix mode is like the super guide from DC and Super Mario Bros.Your stuck on the level? No worries, here's this to help you out. Nobody complained about the those.

Actually... a lot of people complained about those, mostly purists, but they were there complaining.

I don't really care about it per se, but it just boggles the mind that there are people out there that even need this mechanic in the first place. I played FE8 when I was in elementary school, and I got through that game with no deaths (sure you can make the argument of grinding, but it's not like Awakening didn't have that either, and the devs felt the need to put in casual mode there too, lol).

I just... how can you be that bad at a game? Fire Emblem really is not that difficult of a game, especially if you're playing on normal/easy. What kind of dumb shit are you doing that gets your units killed every map? I dun geddit.

If someone is having a lot of difficulty with a map I can see it being a handy toggle. After all no one complains in the Elder Scrolls games that you can just lower the difficulty at whim.

People really need to chill.

If someone is having a lot of difficulty with a map I can see it being a handy toggle. After all no one complains in the Elder Scrolls games that you can just lower the difficulty at whim.

People really need to chill.

Same with Bravely Default. Although you can really screw with stuff in that game by cranking up the difficulty and cranking down the encounter rate for a brutally difficult game, or lowering the difficulty all the way and raising the encounter rate all the way for a hilariously easy game.

Same with Bravely Default. Although you can really screw with stuff in that game by cranking up the difficulty and cranking down the encounter rate for a brutally difficult game, or lowering the difficulty all the way and raising the encounter rate all the way for a hilariously easy game.

That's a good example of a game giving you a lot of choice and it not affecting the people who'd just like to play it like a regular RPG.

I don't really care about it per se, but it just boggles the mind that there are people out there that even need this mechanic in the first place. I played FE8 when I was in elementary school, and I got through that game with no deaths (sure you can make the argument of grinding, but it's not like Awakening didn't have that either, and the devs felt the need to put in casual mode there too, lol).

I just... how can you be that bad at a game? Fire Emblem really is not that difficult of a game, especially if you're playing on normal/easy. What kind of dumb shit are you doing that gets your units killed every map? I dun geddit.

the thing is, difficulty is a weird thing, also normal is quite easy your right about that, however some people might want to have enemies that can actually kill you but not wanting to have to restart just cause your units dies to a lucky crit. Also Nohr doesn't have grinding which means its possible to get halfway through the game and then can't win cause your stats are too low (especially if a new player starts on classic and then losing one of their most trained units) which it seems IS is trying to avoid. They also seem to want to avoid a player running out of weapons As well.

There is a difference between difficulty and character death.

Edited by goodperson707

^^ the thing is, difficulty is a weird thing, also normal is quite easy your right about that, however some people might want to have enemies that can actually kill you but not wanting to have to restart just cause your units dies to a lucky crit. Also Nohr doesn't have grinding which means its possible to get halfway through the game and then can't win cause your stats are too low (especially if a new player starts on classic and then losing one of their most trained units) which it seems IS is trying to avoid. They also seem to want to avoid a player running out of weapons As well.

Well every FE to date has given you the tools to succeeed on every difficulty in the past without needing grinding even Awakening. So I doubt Phoenix mode is there for that reason.

I think personally the new game is so brutal in comparison to Awakening on higher difficulties they felt the absolute need for this mode.

Edited by Jedi

^ i mean more that IS is trying to avoid the possibility of getting stuck halfway through a game, with the preventing all your weapons breaking in awakening and if for example they seem to want avoid any one getting stuck and losing their progress.

to most veterans and even new players yeah its a low possibility especially on normal/easy, but im totally fine with an option to prevent people having to restart on a Nohr file just cause they wanted to try hard classic after playing awakening/hoshido once on Normal and got stuck at the first difficulty spike

Edited by goodperson707

^ i mean more that IS is trying to avoid the possibility of getting stuck halfway through a game, with the preventing all your weapons breaking in awakening and if for example they seem to want avoid any one getting stuck and losing their progress.

to most veterans and even new players yeah its a low possibility especially on normal/easy, but im totally fine with an option to prevent people having to restart on a Nohr file just cause they wanted to try hard classic after playing awakening/hoshido once on Normal and got stuck at the first difficulty spike

Yeah, it's entirely possible. I mean I'm willing to admit I nearly couldn't finish my first FE7 run back when I was 11 because I was new to the series at the time.

Edited by Jedi

I don't like it but not complaining because it's an option. That being said, I'm unlikely to ever play this mode, except as maybe a gimmick to see if I could develop some super weird LTC strategies.

Simply put, I won't touch this mode once I get the game.

It would be funny if Phoenix mode acts like TS mode from Alien Hominid. Once you reach a certain level, you can't advance further, and the game will tell you try again in a harder difficulty.

Edited by Jester Capri

Phoenix mode is going to be fucking awesome

"SIR, WE'RE EXPERIENCING CASUALTIES, WHAT SHOULD WE DO"

"SEND MORE PEOPLE AT THEM, THEYVE GOT TO SURRENDER SOMETIME"

So basically they've become the Imperial Guard from 40K

"SIR, THAT ENTIRE BATTALION OF GUARDSMEN JUST DIED"

"SEND ANOTHER BATTALION"

So basically they've become the Imperial Guard from 40K

"SIR, THAT ENTIRE BATTALION OF GUARDSMEN JUST DIED"

"SEND ANOTHER BATTALION"

Imagine if NPCs had access to Phoenix Mode.

"WE'VE LOST 100 SOLDIERS AND THEY'VE LOST 1. WHAT DO WE DO?"

"DO YOU SEE THEM REGENERATING EVERY BATTLE TURN? NOPE."

never going to touch it, it's probably tedious as hell.

Edited by Gradivus.

My first game was Shadow Dragon. I played on Normal Mode (aka easiest) and ended up getting to a point where my army was filled with generic faceless mooks with horrible base stats, because they never really got a chance to level up and died as soon as I got them, a horribly under-leveled Marth and Jeigan. It got to the point where I could not get pass chapter 22 no matter what I tried because my units sucked and were way way way inferior to the enemy units. I basically had to restart the game from the beginning (and when I did I did much better but was still super scrubby at it).

I guess I suck.

It really irks me how some people can't realize a person's first experience with a game series can be pretty brutal even on the easiest difficulty. Especially if you have never played a game in the same type of genre before (SD wasn't only my first FE but my first real SRPG as well). :L

My first game was Shadow Dragon. I played on Normal Mode (aka easiest) and ended up getting to a point where my army was filled with generic faceless mooks with horrible base stats, because they never really got a chance to level up and died as soon as I got them, a horribly under-leveled Marth and Jeigan. It got to the point where I could not get pass chapter 22 no matter what I tried because my units sucked and were way way way inferior to the enemy units. I basically had to restart the game from the beginning (and when I did I did much better but was still super scrubby at it).

I guess I suck.

It really irks me how some people can't realize a person's first experience with a game series can be pretty brutal even on the easiest difficulty. Especially if you have never played a game in the same type of genre before (SD wasn't only my first FE but my first real SRPG as well). :L

My first was FE7, the game that literally told you where to go, who to attack, and what weapon to use. Because of that, I had enough of a foundation such that I was able to tackle the rest of the game.

Still, the rest of the world isn't me, so if the developers feel that this mode is what it'll take to overcome the initial learning curve, so be it. I would've preferred something like Lyn Normal Mode, even if it was the most annoying thing to a non-newcomer.

My first was FE7, the game that literally told you where to go, who to attack, and what weapon to use. Because of that, I had enough of a foundation such that I was able to tackle the rest of the game.

Still, the rest of the world isn't me, so if the developers feel that this mode is what it'll take to overcome the initial learning curve, so be it. I would've preferred something like Lyn Normal Mode, even if it was the most annoying thing to a non-newcomer.

In my case, all my first FE experience had at least one death at one point. (chapter like Dragon's gate, FE8 Phantom Ship, or those damn FalcoKnight in FE4 Finale comes to mind.)

It may due to the fact I'm a completionist of sort and every village destroyed, chest lost, or unit dying meant I had to start over (reason I haven't tried FE11 yet btw.)(Yes I know about the patch but right now I'm not necessary interrested now).

And that I refused to use prepromotes (It was also the general mentality at the time.)

Casual is my ideal mode (The general game experience without the stress), but if I started with FE14 I may be tempted to use it, especially in Nohr.

Even in Casual/Normal, FE12 was still relatively hard (at least for me, and at first try). If Nohr is in the same range, I can see why newcommers (those who started with Awakening mainly) would like to try it.

I'm not sure about the fact it can't be toggled at will.

Though I think it's better that way, because it would makes the other mode less "worthy" otherwise.

And it keeps the idea of Phoenix as a last resort. Something you have to think about twice before using it, before they could regret it afterwards (like when you use Action Replay ).

If you start with Phoenix, I agree it's pretty ridiculous, but I don't think it's how it should be seen. I think even newcommers will at least try with Casual first if they care a little about the gameplay (and we should encourage them to do so : If they feel confident in their skills, let them try with classic and switch to Casual if it's too hard, otherwise try Casual at first. This way , it's actually a great opportunity).

And this way, the mode have all its sense.

Not something you start with because you're a loser, but something you can keep on the back on your mind and who encourages you to try the higher difficulty. (Hell it may even makes me try Classic again.)

It would be funny if Phoenix mode acts like TS mode from Alien Hominid. Once you reach a certain level, you can't advance further, and the game will tell you try again in a harder difficulty.

The developers of the mode from Alien Homonid is literally a shot by making a "joke mode" from the name "thumb-sucker".

They are a shot at their players and to make it fun by letting them screw around.

FE:if developers are not.

Why the hell do people want to punish people who suck at the game even more?

Why are you hoping for that?

What is funny about that?

"There will be no content withheld from players, such as endings, for those playing Phoenix mode." ~Famitsu developer interview

Edited by shadowofchaos

How would you feel about the proposal that Phoenix Mode can't be selected normally, but is "unlocked" (or the game suggests the player to swap to it) if the player game overs enough?

(aka DMC easy automatic)

How would you feel about the proposal that Phoenix Mode can't be selected normally, but is "unlocked" (or the game suggests the player to swap to it) if the player game overs enough?

(aka DMC easy automatic)

I wouldn't be opposed to that at all.