Character Designs

hauteclere

I neither agree nor disagree with anyone yet. We simply haven't seen enough of the artwork to know if they really are better or not. Here's what I think so far:

I liked Robin's design better than either Kamui's. The eyes on the sleeves was an excellent touch, really added a feel of menace, and the muted purple was good too.

I like Marx better than Frederick, he's definitely a high point.

I like Leon's design, but it is exactly the same as dark knights in awakening, so there's really no change.

I like Camilla's design. Heresy, I know, but if you think about it, it is actually more practical than Pegasus knights' have been in the past, at least it covers the midriff with armor(http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/b/b2/Catria_NM_Background_2.png/revision/latest?cb=20120721081819), but it is still inferior to Minerva's (http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/c/c3/MinervaDS.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090213133437). As for wyvern knights, it's certainly better than Vaida's as well (http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/5/53/Th_vaida.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080828003043).

Ryouma's design is pretty cool.

Takumi, on the other hand, is incredibly bland.

No opinion on Hinoka.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge fan of the Tellius character designs and nothing since has really done it for me nearly as well. I'm not going to hate on Kozaki too much (although I will hate on whoever was responsible for armour in Awakening), and I am kinda warming to him with time. I think I like what I've seen better than Awakening overall, so far, but with only ~10 of the characters having remotely decent artwork so far it's too early to say for sure.

-I was never a fan of Robin's strange coat, so Kamui's armour is a step up for me, thigh holes or not. Kinda hope the barefoot thing will be explained but if it isn't, whatever.

-Marx probably has my favourite Kozaki design to date. I love his hair, his facial expressions, and the black-and-gold armour. Just badass. I have nothing bad to say here.

-Camilla I'm less down on than some people, aside from being I'm all aboard the hate for the panty window or whatever it is. I like her hair, headpiece, and overall look.

-Leon... armour! On a mage! I love it. He actually looks like a mage in an army instead of some wandering scholar who found his way onto a plucky band of heroes. Rest of his design's cool too.

-Elise is the real sore spot of Norh to me, and the cast as well. She's ludicrously short (sometimes I think character designers don't get the memo that women are mostly done growing in height by age 12-13, and I'll be surprised if Elise is much older), the hair is just far too goofy, and I do not like the dress.

-I love Ryouma's armour, both the colour scheme and the little touches we see on it. I do not like his hair, it's too "anime" for me.

-Hinoka is the bland skinny girl we've seen hundreds of times before, version Short Hair. Meh. Armour's pretty cool I suppose?

-I like Takumi. He's interesting. He looks very different design-wise from his siblings, both the colour scheme and the outfit. It's not an overall favourite but it draws my attention in a good way.

-Sakura's outfit invokes a religious figure which is neat for a healer. I like what she has going on with the sleeves, and her hair. She's literally the first design I've liked in this recent chain of little sister healers the series has had since Path of Radiance.

-I wasn't too fond of the initial shots of Aqua we got, felt a bit too "mysterious waif" for lack of a better term. But a lot of that is facial expressions, I think? The overall design is fine, and I like her a lot better in her more recent design with a more determined look.

-Elise is the real sore spot of Norh to me, and the cast as well. She's ludicrously short (sometimes I think character designers don't get the memo that women are mostly done growing in height by age 12-13, and I'll be surprised if Elise is much older), the hair is just far too goofy, and I do not like the dress.

I'm just hoping this is perspective. (as in, she looks short because of the camera angle.)

Seconded that the Tellius art was really good.

I like Aqua's "black" design significantly more than her "white" design. I can't put my finger on why, but I do.

Edited by dragonlordsd

Definitely a big step up from Awakening for the most part. The only designs I hate/dislike are Camilla and Leon. Especially Camilla, she is the worst design I've ever seen in the series, even worse than the ridiculous armor in Awakening. Leon just looks too much like a blonde Marth for my tastes and I still don't get men wearing a headband/tiara the way those two do.

Ryouma is my favorite of the bunch by far. He just looks...COOL. Even with that long crazy hair. And he's hot. :D Hope he's just as cool personality-wise!

Edited by Anacybele

For the males, I honestly love Marx and Leon's design. They really got the whole "attractive charming prince" thing going with those two. Ryoma and Takumi, not so much. I still prefer Takumi's design over Ryoma's since he looks a bit more uh, plausible, but that pineapple hair on top of his ponytail is ruining it for me.

As for the girls, I am completely in love with Elise's outfit, I really hope we can make our F!Avatar wear something similar to it, though I agree that Elise's hair does look pretty wacky. Sakura's outfit is cute too, but it isn't really cute enough for me. Hinoka is just a standard pegasus knight for me, and I don't think I have to repeat what most think of Camilla's outfit. Though I do really like her hair.

I love male Kamui's design. I actually like the bare feet.

Female Kamui's design is okay, but her thigh holes are stupid and unnecessary.

I love Marx and Leon's designs. They're perfect.

I like Camilla's face, but her armor looks ridiculous. I hate it, and she will be reclassed to a better outfit if that's possible

I hate Elise's hair and the little hearts on her outfit.

The Jeigan-looking character on Nohr's box looks cool, but he has something that looks like a zipper on the stomach and crotch areas of his armor. It's odd.

I didn't like Ryouma's design at first, but he's starting to grow on me.

Hinoka and Sakura look fine.

I don't really like Takumi's hair.

The white-haired Jeigan is a snappy dresser at least.

Tsubaki looks awesome.

A resounding "ok". The fanservice is a bit overdone and tends to make characters look kinda bland, but some of the designs look pretty cool.

But we haven't seen them all so maybe as more characters get shown the grade will raise.

For the males, I honestly love Marx and Leon's design. They really got the whole "attractive charming prince" thing going with those two.

As for the girls, I am completely in love with Elise's outfit, I really hope we can make our F!Avatar wear something similar to it, though I agree that Elise's hair does look pretty wacky.

...Seriously? I don't think Marx or Leon look like "attractive charming princes" at all.

But for once, someone that likes Elice's design! Sort of. I think she's the cutest little girl in the series so far, it pains me that I might have to kill her since I'm going Hoshido. I even like her hair, I think her pigtails are cute.

...Seriously? I don't think Marx or Leon look like "attractive charming princes" at all.

But for once, someone that likes Elice's design! Sort of. I think she's the cutest little girl in the series so far, it pains me that I might have to kill her since I'm going Hoshido. I even like her hair, I think her pigtails are cute.

I doubt IS would have the balls to have you slaughter the protagonists of the other game, maybe one or two of them, but not a kawaii sister character. (though props to them if they do)

I absolutely adore f Kamui's design, I really wish she was separate unit instead so we can waifu'd her. XD

I find girls without long hair to be unattractive and men with long hair not that of my style, so in turn of that Nohr beat Hoshido in each area of my preferred character traits. Though I find White Aqua > Black Aqua.

Long hair men all the way for me so Hoshido wins by a landslide; Ponytails on guys are especially my thing

No preference on female hair as long as it doesn't look utterly ridiculous

Edited by Thor Odinson

Kamui (M)- Seems stark, I think I like darker styles and darker pallettes, because too much white can make the characters seem bland. I like the coat more than the cape, it stood out more.

Kamui(F) same except also lacy armor, hopefully just artistic design for covers.

Aqua- Her dress and outfit do say a lot about her, a dancer, but a high class one, based on her robes and veils. She is mysterious but that is what they wanted to convey so good character design visually, maybe not plot wise, we will see. I like the black one more, as it departs from the purity look most people have in her place and makes her look darker, and a bit more complicated, or if nothing else, sets her apart from similar characters.

Hoshido

Ryoma- I don't mind the red on White look, but a little odd in how little his armor says about him while also implying he has a shell and scales. If he can turn into a red dragon, all is forgiven, but otherwise, he doesn't seem to have a direction that implies who he is as much as the others.

Hinoka- I love short haired girls, but Hinoka's outfit barely says anything at all about her except that its red and she wears armor. High boots +Short skirt is just plain. She could be a rank and file for all this says, unlike Ryoma who at least looks unique. One problem, is next to Camilla, she doesn't really seem like an older sister in any way. I think the obsession with cute little sister made her look much younger than her younger brother. And while I am sure to adore her character she seems like a design failure.

Takumi- I actually like his a bit, it has enough details to not look completely rank and file, and isn't completely washed out by the red that is his family's colors. It's understated and more relaxed, and it does hint at least a bit at a reserved nature and a distance between him and his siblings. Not great, but at least it looks like character design rather than costume design.

Sakura- Her outfit Does get her character across, if cliche, cute little magic user with cape and hair pin to set her out. Yawn worthy compared to say Lissa, who got to have her own color scheme and a more varied way to portray the same trope, but it is very minimal.

Conclusion- The color red is definig the characters more than their design, and think it could have been minimized as its importance, while keeping the color scheme.

Nohr

Marx- Done well if not amazing, it shows both his upstanding nature but also the dark side of that, his dark "crown" works well in a variety of ways. A dark paladin who means well but cannot achieve his goals is fairly clear, and I think executed brilliantly. Gold on Black and Purple (their colors highlights his character rather than wash it out.

Camilla- I have not mentioned, mostly, the weirdness of the female outfits because thats JRPGs and while they take away from character identity by having to be there, it is frustrating but acceptable. Its the genre. Characters like Camilla though it proves why those things are a problem. She has decent design, hard metal exterior with kind face, but the most noticeable thing about her are her boobs. They only exist there to be seen. Anything that can be talked about with her design is overshadowed for her to be sexy, and that wipes huge portions from a character when ALL the female characters are designed to be a little sexy. Take Aversa, she also looks creepy, has fingernails that look dangerous, tattoos,and dark feathers. She has character in her design. Camilla is sexy, and has a sweet face, something just multiplied to a degree that all the characters mostly have. She isn't bad because she is sexy, but that she has no character design past her hair.

Leon- Another character that seems to suffer a bit from his palette, but doesn't have so few details as to be defined by it, and so many details it looks like he was painted. Next to marx, his straighter hair and smaller armor makes him look smaller as compared and in some ways lesser, but still has a strong appearance overall. Not a bad character design considering their desire for uniforms.

Elisse- Probably the best character design. Yes the usual cute little sister healer, but she gets more to her palette, like Takumi, and her outfit is more unique than her Hoshido counterpart. She has a bit of pink, she is more covered, she has bows almost secreted everywhere, her skirt is more flouncy all while continuing the dark color scheme. If you play Nohr she is the innocent character in a dark world. She is girly and cute, not just because she is young with a short skirt and a rod, but everything about her outfit and that she is able to look cute in a dark world. I also love how she looks more armored than Sakura, even while looking more innocent in her overall design

Conclusion- Nohr worked much better with what they were given. and did more for their color schemes. Also, doesn't know what to do with older sisters.. But while Hinoka looks bland and oddly young, Camilla has the weird juxtaposition because of her boobs. And sex symbol first for an older sister is really really odd, even weirder as she has no other things to give her character other than her hair. .

Best- Elisse, Marx, Takumi

Worst- Camilla, Hinoka, and Sakura

Edited by 3Comrades

I actually am pretty okay with Hinoka's design. At least, I like her head more than the outfit.

Although I dislike Camilla's design a lot, I just wish the designs weren't so monochrome. (black vs white)

For me, I think the best are Ryouma, Elise, and Tsubaki (only if she really is female. Otherwise...no. Just no). Ryouma and Elise because of what I said before, and I really like Tsubaki because a Pegasus knight with pants! And her hair is lovely. In fact, now that I think about it, she reminds me a lot of Cari (or is it Kari?), Yuma's older sister in Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal with that red ponytail styled the way it is. If Tsubaki is actually male though...yeah, no. I never liked males that looked this feminine. Never was a Lucius or Libra fan either, even if the former was a great unit.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd be happy if Tsubaki was male if only cause we get a male pegasus knight and that opens up the possibility for female warriors and berserkers.

Oh, I wouldn't mind a male Pegasus knight either, but one that actually looks like a guy... Otherwise, I don't really see the point. I also want to see female Peg knights with pants again, like Tellius had (though only the promoted ones got them, it was still something).

js the ponytail visual is actually fairly masculine in terms of both wuxia and samurai designs, which makes sense given Hoshido's overall aesthetic

It's a cultural thing

Edited by Thor Odinson

I actually am pretty okay with Hinoka's design. At least, I like her head more than the outfit.

Although I dislike Camilla's design a lot, I just wish the designs weren't so monochrome. (black vs white)

From the shoulders up, she doesn't have a bad design and love her hair, but compared to her younger brother (and that younger brother compared to the default protags) it feels really odd their places are not switched. She looks like a slightly younger character, than an older one, while he looks barely younger than Ryoma. At least Leon has that younger brother look to him while Camilla does look older. But her lack of character to her outfit, and her lack of ability to define her place in the family (one of her most defining traits will be older sister) I had to rate her lower, but I admit I really like her and love her head design.

js the ponytail visual is actually fairly masculine in terms of both wuxia and samurai designs, which makes sense given Hoshido's overall aesthetic

It's a cultural thing

I have not ever seen a samurai portrayed with a ponytail like that. Besides, Tsubaki is clearly not a samurai. But if a male must have a ponytail, at least make it look more like Shinon has it. Shinon doesn't tie it up/style it in a way that looks so girly.

Edited by Anacybele

Of the eight siblings, Aqua, and both Kamuis, I think Camilla's is the worst. It looks like she was getting dressed normally, but was called onto a battlefield in the middle of her dressing and only managed to put on a corset and her panties (and grabbed a random curtain to wrap around her waist). Female Kamui's thigh holes are just what, and I actually don't like Aqua's design very much. It looks nice upon first glance, but that one legging and the random hole on her side for the white outfit just make me go ???.

I think Hinoka and the two little sisters are fine, although I really wish Hinoka would obtain pants. All of the men are cool, although Ryouma's hair is a little silly. (Also, I for one happen to like Takumi's … ponytail thing. :P: ) I did notice that Takumi has a reverse color theme than his siblings, where he's primarily blue and white instead of red and white, and that's kind of interesting. I wonder if it means something more, though.

I admit Ryouma constantly excited and then dissapointed me based on the fact I kept thinking he was a Taguel.

He is the lone lobster taguel. His people crawled up from the seas to make peace with the humans, only to be greeted with pots and butter. Their population dwindled until he was the only one left.