Character Designs

hauteclere

Personally, I think they're pretty great with the exception of Camilla's strange boob belt

So, what are your opinions on the designs we've seen so far? What do you think is done well/what could be done better?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon and Marx couldn't have been designed better; I love them both. I wish Elize's skirt wasn't so tiny. Other than that she's well done too.

Camilla is the worst by far.

As Sentinel07 said, this is a HUGE step up from Awakening. Hoshido is decent, but Nohr is VERY well done.

I like the designs, though there are some that bug me (Elise and Sakura don`t look like they`re wearing any kind of armour). I can dig these new designs, wonder how they will do other characters.

Well, they're both healers. And since when have healers in FE ever worn armor?

I don't particularly like a single one and I'm surprised to see that you guys do, honestly. I know this is very subjective, and I hardly know anything about designing characters or art in general, but to me every character just has way too much going on with their look, and for the most part they end up looking overdesigned. I don't even like the armor or clothing of most of the characters, with Ryouma's weird lobster thing and female Kamui's thigh armor taking the cake. I could talk more about female armor and poses in particular as well, but that's not the game's only problem, since I don't think a single character looks visually appealing, men included.

Most memorable characters in gaming have very simple designs, and are therefore easy to remember; I'm afraid I'll just forget what these characters look like after I stop playing the game.

I don't particularly like a single one and I'm surprised to see that you guys do, honestly. I know this is very subjective, and I hardly know anything about designing characters or art in general, but to me every character just has way too much going on with their look, and for the most part they end up looking overdesigned. I don't even like the armor or clothing of most of the characters, with Ryouma's weird lobster thing and female Kamui's thigh armor taking the cake. I could talk more about female armor and poses in particular as well, but that's not the game's only problem, since I don't think a single character looks visually appealing, men included.

Most memorable characters in gaming have very simple designs, and are therefore easy to remember; I'm afraid I'll just forget what these characters look like after I stop playing the game.

This is actually why I love many of the designs in this game, so I guess we're completely opposite in this aspect. As a person who likes small details in general, I love the fact that the characters' designs are very detailed this time with various ornaments that mesh well together. For example, I really hope that Takumi's outfit in his promoted class would actually look like his TCG design.

That said, there're still some designs that I dislike though: Kamui having bare feet, F!Kamui's thigh, Camilla, Marx and Leon's capes are too short, Takumi's default design.

Edited by Ryo

Pretty good, I'm a little irritated that the Nohr designs all wear black and the Hoshido all wear white, but that's just a personal gripe, I tend to prefer the rainbow of characters past. Overall, better than Awakening and some of the older games, but they're all a little hit-and-miss for me.

It's... improved, since Awakening. I still think most of the female designs are garbage, though. I don't see why F!Kamui had to have those ugly thigh holes, it's so unappealing. Or why they had to give a wyvern rider/dracoknight/whatever the worst armor possible, boob window, battle panties and all. I'm not a fan of Kozaki's female designs, although the dudes looks mostly fine, I guess. Kamui is kind of a mess though.

While I don't particularly dislike the character designs in FE14, I feel you on the overdesigned part. It's something I miss about the more simply dressed characters from the GBA and Tellius games.

I like them but then again I liked most of the Awakening character designs. I guess I didn't really pay attention to the fanservice unless it was directly in your face. The only characters who I actually disliked their designs were Tharja and Nowi and that was mainly because of their overly skimpy clothes.

And for If I really don't like Camilla's design. It just is too much I would have been fine if it was just the top part and she were to be wearing pants. It is kind of a shame that they made a character who seems like she is going to be really interesting and just made her so fanservice-y. I'll still use her and hope that when she gets promoted she gets some more armor.

I like the rest of the siblings's designs and think they are pretty well done. I like what we have seen from Rinka/Linca and I hope we see a portrait of her soon. And I really enjoy the rest of the Hoshido characters. I hope we get see more of the Nohr units, but I do like the Silver-haired Cavalier's design and was really hoping that was a possible Kamui design at first.

Yeah, compared to Awakening, it seems like a huge improvement, that's why I don't complain much about Camilla.

While I don't particularly dislike the character designs in FE14, I feel you on the overdesigned part. It's something I miss about the more simply dressed characters from the GBA and Tellius games.

Sadly, I don't think we will ever go back to this Golden Age. :/

May someone enlighten me regarding the breast belt? I genuinely like to know why that' there…?

To keep it from bouncing so much.

It's like it has a mind of it's own.

This is actually why I love many of the designs in this game, so I guess we're completely opposite in this aspect. As a person who likes small details in general, I love the fact that the characters' designs are very detailed this time with various ornaments that mesh well together. For example, I really hope that Takumi's outfit in his promoted class would actually look like his TCG design.

That said, there're still some designs that I dislike though: Kamui having bare feet, F!Kamui's thigh, Camilla, Marx and Leon's capes are too short, Takumi's default design.

Details are fine, as are the occasional extravagant character. What I don't like is how everyone just looks like complete, distracting mess. Orochi's got two hair ornaments, one big and one small, a strange hairstyle and a donut-like object on her wrist, while her character portrait has a nonsensical pose. And that's most likely just a small support character.

Once again, this is all subjective, and I don't mind details, I mind how there's so much going on everywhere.

I personally think the details are just right for my taste though, but since this is subjective, some may not agree, which is fine.

Of course. How boring wouldn't it be if all games looked the same?

however, this ruins my waifu hunting

To echo everybody else, it's definitely a step up from Awakening. However, the females still look too fanservicey (and that's disregarding Camilla). Hinoka's skirt side vent and the return of garters, for one (couldn't we just go exclusively with the classic Zetta Ryouki, as overdone that is, or *gasp* give pegasus knights proper leggings?). Sakura's artwork pose is best described as awkward, though that's about it. Elise, though... not only is the skirt too short, but she's in the "backbreaker"/boobs and butt pose. Just... whyyyy? She's fourteen at the oldest.

I'm fine with the men being overdesigned. They're nobility and warriors; it makes sense for their armor to look ornate as long as it still serves its purpose.

To echo everybody else, it's definitely a step up from Awakening. However, the females still look too fanservicey (and that's disregarding Camilla). Hinoka's skirt side vent and the return of garters, for one (couldn't we just go exclusively with the classic Zetta Ryouki, as overdone that is, or *gasp* give pegasus knights proper leggings?). Sakura's artwork pose is best described as awkward, though that's about it. Elise, though... not only is the skirt too short, but she's in the "backbreaker"/boobs and butt pose. Just... whyyyy? She's fourteen at the oldest.

I'm fine with the men being overdesigned. They're nobility and warriors; it makes sense for their armor to look ornate as long as it still serves its purpose.

Bruh, it's important to show us that Kamui's biological little sister has a great ass.

I actually really liked Awakening's design in general, save for some armor and clothing, but I can't stand how the characters look in this game. I wonder why that is...

I like nearly all of the designs. they feels so much more consistent in design compared to awakenings and the styles of each nation are great.

Elise's impossibly stupid hair can die in a fire though Can we trade her for Sakura plz

ngl i'd rather garters than not if they have to do zettai ryouiki; The reason garters exist isn't sex appeal (although they do hold it in this day and age) but rather to just hold things up, and if they have to make her wear shit that isn't properly attached by means of actually being pants/leggings/tights/whatever at least it's holding it there.

But yeah, I like a good number of the dude designs, but not so much female except what I see from Rinka's model (fingers crossed for some bicep action?) and blue cavalier. In fairness, Previous FEs haven't really been good about the whole pegs wearing pants thing, Tellius and Judgral aside, but I didn't like it there either.

For the most part, I love the character design. The "overdesign" feels fine to me: These people are royalty and intricate design and fluff is pretty much expected. Characters like Saizou, Elfie or Linca seems to be much more grounded from what we've seen of them.