21st May Magazine Leaks/Previews

Lushiris

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boys and their waifus ... ^^

You wanna talk about your favorite horsemen fanaticism ?

Stahl and Kieran are coming to my mind. :Cyas:

Intelligent Systems, wut are you doing?

As if Awakening weren't baffling enough in its own right; I just don't understand. The series' progression since FE11 has been absolutely bizarre.

• Take out weapon weight in FE12/13, replace it with static battle stat boosts/penalties. I'd bet that most weapons have attack speed penalties. Why not just bring back the thing that actually made sense?
  • Take out second weapon triangle, but replace it in spirit with something even more illogical. Magic as a sole weapon type is already a step back...now we have to make Bows even worse to shoehorn Magic into a second triangle? Throwing weapons could be interesting, but tying the two triangles together is absurd. Imagine if Swords -> Dark in GBAFE (but Dark magic is barely even a thing anymore, so oh wellllll). The overlapping triangles are absolute nonsense.
  • Even if "Dark magic" returns, variant types of magic will likely be class-based weapon locks going forward. This is terrible for class diversity, since Magic has lost its diversity nearly entirely.
  • Take out weapon durability; except for healing staves/items. What about siege tomes? Are they just straight-up gone? Maybe this would work if fighting were tied to some sort of fatigue stat, but their "rethinking of weapons" feels like it's not going to work out gameplay-wise.
  • Add Casual Mode, follow it up with "I can't lose" mode.
This all sounds like stuff a bad ROM hacker would come up with...

You wanna talk about your favorite horsemen fanaticism ?

Stahl and Kieran are coming to my mind. :Cyas:

Lol I don't speak about it here

Intelligent Systems, wut are you doing?

As if Awakening weren't baffling enough in its own right; I just don't understand. The series' progression since FE11 has been absolutely bizarre.

• Take out weapon weight in FE12/13, replace it with static battle stat boosts/penalties. I'd bet that most weapons have attack speed penalties. Why not just bring back the thing that actually made sense?
  • Take out second weapon triangle, but replace it in spirit with something even more illogical. Magic as a sole weapon type is already a step back...now we have to make Bows even worse to shoehorn Magic into a second triangle? Throwing weapons could be interesting, but tying the two triangles together is absurd. Imagine if Swords -> Dark in GBAFE (but Dark magic is barely even a thing anymore, so oh wellllll). The overlapping triangles are absolute nonsense.
  • Even if "Dark magic" returns, variant types of magic will likely be class-based weapon locks going forward. This is terrible for class diversity, since Magic has lost its diversity nearly entirely.
  • Take out weapon durability; except for healing staves/items. What about siege tomes? Are they just straight-up gone? Maybe this would work if fighting were tied to some sort of fatigue stat, but their "rethinking of weapons" feels like it's not going to work out gameplay-wise.
  • Add Casual Mode, follow it up with "I can't lose" mode.
This all sounds like stuff a bad ROM hacker would come up with...

Except Weight has always been a poorly implemented system, as was the con system which needlessly nerfed characters mostly the female ones.

Magic diversity hasnt really existed that much in the first place other then an incredibly forced double magic triangle which was near pointless to begin with, sure light and dark magic had their occasional times they stood out but for the most part they didn't.

Just because you can make OK hacks doesn't make you an expert, your arrogance astounds me, are you trying to say you're superior to IS? Because that's pretty much how this post is coming off. Yeah its impressive what you've done with ROM Hacks but its gone to your head obviously.

WAIT BUT.

Sonic ahem, Ryouma is Hoshido's leader.

And I will take Fire Emblem If : Nohr.

That means I'll have to kill him.

And when he'll be dead... CAMILLA WILL BE MINE. \o/

Hahahahaha, get rekt Ryoumeh, go back with your Tails. :Soldier:

Yes, you'll be able to put your spoon into this Lobster's insides.

Lol I don't speak about it here

I know your secrets ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Except Weight has always been a poorly implemented system, as was the con system which needlessly nerfed characters mostly the female ones.

Magic diversity hasnt really existed that much in the first place other then an incredibly forced double magic triangle which was near pointless to begin with, sure light and dark magic had their occasional times they stood out but for the most part they didn't.

Just because you can make OK hacks doesn't make you an expert, your arrogance astounds me, are you trying to say you're superior to IS? Because that's pretty much how this post is coming off. Yeah its impressive what you've done with ROM Hacks but its gone to your head obviously.

I'm not saying that I could do better. I'm saying that I've seen enough bad ideas in my years of ROM Hacking and watching people make ROM hacks that I can call them when I see them. Call that "arrogance" if you wish. I've got more experience with game design than you, buddy.

Weight was a fine concept in GBAFE; it went to hell when they started basing attack speed off of strength. Then, at that point, you might as well get rid of it altogether because you've already. If there's a balance problem, change the numbers! It's easy enough to give females equal CON, or to reconsider the weight stat of individual weapons to rebalance the system without scrapping it needlessly.

Magic diversity is worse now than it ever has been. If you want to make multiple magic types more meaningful and improve diversity, add more tomes! The ranged triangle is alright as a concept; the overlap, and further nerfing bows, makes it utterly baffling.

This isn't hard, guys. It really isn't. I'm just sick of seeing this series swirling down the toilet.

Edited by Arch

God that was... Interesting. Honestly i wonder what would of happened if smash bros didn't come to the west. Cause the assumption some people seem to be operating on is that fire emblem always or must follow the same combat formula and that any changes must add to the formula not take away or change it. It also is a bit funny that people complain about causal which is there to make the game more accessible when also clinging to a formula that at least in part most likely never changed much past the GBA games because of accessibility and to not alienate IS's new fans. Honestly this is not rom hacking they can change the formula as much as they like and this is not a balance patch this is a new game. New games normally aren't freaking balance patches with new characters and story stuck on as afreaking afterthought.

And yah that sounds a bit like arrogance to me, but what do i know i don't make rom hacks

Edited by goodperson707

If it's not arrogance, it's certainly overbearing...

I'm entitled to the free expression of my opinion. If you don't agree with it, fine.

BwdYeti and I agree on basically every point here; two of the top fan game developers in this community are saying that these sound like bad ideas. Hopefully IS proves us wrong, but it feels like FE14 will be a hit/miss. The series is clearly in a state of transition, and has been ever since FE11 (it's the starting point for what I refer to as "New Fire Emblem"). You can see the progression if you analyze closely.

The integrity of the gameplay hasn't felt like a focal point of the series for a while; it's only about selling copies of the game. Perhaps they'll sort this mess out with the next few games, but my hopes for FE14 have definitely been dashed by these recent details.

Edited by Arch

God that was... Interesting. Honestly i wonder what would of happened if smash bros didn't come to the west. Cause the assumption some people seem to be operating on is that fire emblem always or must follow the same combat formula and that any changes must add to the formula not take away or change it. It also is a bit funny that people complain about causal which is there to make the game more accessible when also clinging to a formula that at least in part most likely never changed much past the GBA games because of accessibility and to not alienate IS's new fans. Honestly this is not rom hacking they can change the formula as much as they like and this is not a balance patch this is a new game. New games normally aren't freaking balance patches with new characters and story stuck on as afreaking afterthought.

And yah that sounds a bit like arrogance to me, but what do i know i don't make rom hacks

Wasn't FE supposed to come to NA anyways due to the success of Advance Wars? \

He's also entitled to tell you he thinks your opinion is stupid and criticize it.

Have I done anything to infringe on that right? No? Okay. I've argued my points, if you don't agree then you don't agree.

I have my opinions, they are informed by my experience. Disagree if you like, but attacking my character goes beyond simple disagreement.

Edited by Arch

Wasn't FE supposed to come to NA anyways due to the success of Advance Wars? \

maybe but it wasn't really my point, it was more a lead in, to the real argument i mainly meant the keeping the formula almost the same for most of the series after FE 6 which most likely was partly for the new fans from the west and the advertisement from smash bros everywhere,