Does it bother anybody else that Male!Kamui is getting much more coverage?

It didn't bother me in Awakening until Smash came out and female Robin was literally an asterisk on Male Robin's spotlight. he got the amiibo, the teaser, coverage. Female just felt like an afterthought and I fear the same for Kamui.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ But female Kaimui is already on the Boxart. For the harder game no less.

I get the issue of representation but this is making a mountain out if a molehill

Yes I know, but the first post is a similar complaint regardless of the context

It really doesn't bother me that male Kamui is getting more coverage, and it wouldn't have bothered me if female Kamui were the one who got more coverage. With regards to these things, I really don't care which gender gets more coverage - the only thing that could possibly annoy me is consistency.

EDIT: By consistency I mean something like in the case of SSB, where Villager, WFT, and Robin were all playable as both male or female but each had a default gender. It would annoy me if people referred to Villager and WFT solely by their default genders (male, female) while making an exception solely for Robin by acting like female was Robin's default gender. That's more of an OCD thing than anything else, though.

Edited by Sunwoo

This conversation seems to be headed more into the relatability of a male protagonist over female like Red Fox mentioned earlier. I honestly think IS just showcased the male more just because. None were really put off by the latest Infamous game when it switched from a male lead to a female.

So? This promotional material is hardly about Kaimui its about the game play and introducing ot elaborating on new or different characters, the one place where it matters to have both is in the customization area which is where they did have both. And yes it matters much much more that she is on one of the covers cause that is one of the biggest parts of the game that people actually remember.

Hardly about Kamui? What? Have you even been looking at all of what we seen so far? It's pretty obvious that Kamui is shown a lot. Specifically, the Male version.

And Female Kamui being on the box art is pretty nice. Can't believe I forgot about that. -_-

Edited by Kamui-of-Nohr

While it's not a massive deal (unlike cases where M/F protags don't have equal value ingame cough Ubisoft cough Syndicate cough 75-25 split) there is a larger issue of society seeing male as default and in most cases where the protag is variable gender, far more often than not the male is shown as the default.

However, it is also entirely understandable if they only had one run through and all the screenshots were from that. I'm not going to vilify IS for this, at any rate.

Crotch window on the other hand can go fuck itself

Edited by Thor Odinson

^^ But female Kaimui is already on the Boxart. For the harder game no less.

I get the issue of representation but this is making a mountain out if a molehill

No, it is not. One thing is that I don't see anyone making a mountain out of it (some of us are annoyed but no one is treating it like something offensive). But the point is that it sucks to have your side feel ignored. Many male gamers won't really understand this due to the large majority of male leads and prioritizing of male leads in marketing, but it sucks to play as the girl and always see the boy everywhere else. It gives an impression of the male being default and female being alternate when they should be equal.

Also Thor Odinson's post above, though I don't agree with the idea of, "Well it may have been one playthrough and they didn't want to do another." If marketing is your job, do your fucking job and don't be lazy about it. "One run" is not an excuse here.

Seems a bit nitpicky, though ultimately have we seen a lot of Kamui, period? I'd say Male Kamui has the lead by about two stat screens; really, not a whole lot.

And with the massive popularity of Female Robin (especially among the Smash Bros. fanbase), I'm okay with this.

Nope. Doesn't bother me at all. I usually prefer male characters over females, so I'm happy about it. Do people really prefer M Kamui, though? The few polls I've seen where male and female Kamui are pitted against each other, F Kamui always wins by a landside.

I thought this was going to be a thread about FemKamui's thigh hole.

At the very least, F Kamui is the most predominantly discussed character of both Kamuis due to her odd aesthetics in her artwork. The M Kamui is just kinda there and no one really brings much out in terms of him.

Edited by almi23

It doesn't bother me, I prefer playing as a guy 99% of the time anyway. This is a silly thing to complain about.

If it was anything but a freaking map visuals and an attack screen (or 2) i would agree that it would bother me, but it is hardly in your face' and any thing that actually is about kaimui, like showing off customization they show both. The trailer battles i would say have a point but i don't know the numbers on that. But my main thing is that the most obvious thing that people notice is the cover which surprise surprise has both gender. My main thing is that map sprites on a magazine about non kaimui related material is almost completely irrelevant in the long run

I mean if it was some extensive Kamui gameplay footage being all male forever then yeah, I'd prolly be more bothered, but the recent screenshots was just showing off a bunch of weapons that honestly all fit inside Kamui's inventory anyway and I'm pretty sure switching Kamuis just to do that prolly didn't cross their mind. Femui was featured in some previous gameplay footage as well.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Also Thor Odinson's post above, though I don't agree with the idea of, "Well it may have been one playthrough and they didn't want to do another." If marketing is your job, do your fucking job and don't be lazy about it. "One run" is not an excuse here.

...I really don't expect them to load another save when they're taking screenshots showing of inventory and item descriptions.

No, it is not. One thing is that I don't see anyone making a mountain out of it (some of us are annoyed but no one is treating it like something offensive). But the point is that it sucks to have your side feel ignored. Many male gamers won't really understand this due to the large majority of male leads and prioritizing of male leads in marketing, but it sucks to play as the girl and always see the boy everywhere else. It gives an impression of the male being default and female being alternate when they should be equal.Also Thor Odinson's post above, though I don't agree with the idea of, "Well it may have been one playthrough and they didn't want to do another." If marketing is your job, do your fucking job and don't be lazy about it. "One run" is not an excuse here.

THANK YOU! Finally, another person in this topic gets it. Many others do not understand us it seems.

It doesn't bother me, I prefer playing as a guy 99% of the time anyway. This is a silly thing to complain about.

Silly? I do not see how is "silly" but whatever. You have your opinions and I have mine.

One thing I wish they would do is show more Kamui customization options, for both genders. I know white hair and, in the female's case, headband is canon Kamui appearance but in a game with customization I want to see more than just 1-2 appearances per gender. Especially with mention of the customization being expanded upon.

I'm not really bothered by how Male Kamui is getting much more coverage.

However, I don't think they're (as in Intelligent Systems / Nintendo) saying Female Kamui is any less important than her male counterpart. I don't think they're "ignoring" her either, as she's clearly known to be part of the game.

I don't really think I'm grasping at why this is an issue to some people though... I know Red Fox has stated that it gives the female is just an alternate, but I just don't feel that way. The way I see it, it literally just is the impression, and the game makers are in no way saying that the male is the lead / the female is the alternate. If I'm wrong though, please correct me!

Basically, I just don't understand why it's so bad that Male Kamui is getting more coverage, if we all clearly know that they're equal.

Well, there is the thing where only RobinM got the Amiibo while RobinF didn't. I can't say this is the case with Kamoois since none of them have figures yet, but at least with FE13, despite RobinF's popularity, RobinM got the merchandise. So I do not blame people having concern about this issue.

Well, there is the thing where only RobinM got the Amiibo while RobinF didn't. I can't say this is the case with Kamoois since none of them have figures yet, but at least with FE13, despite RobinF's popularity, RobinM got the merchandise. So I do not blame people having concern about this issue.

The thing about the amiibos is this: consider that both Villager and WFT are playable in both genders, like Robin, and only a male villager and female WFT was made. Even if Robin got a bit more attention with the two genders thing, male Robin was still presented as the default Robin.

I see very little, if ANY, complaints about villager only having the male amiibo and WFT having only the female amiibo, and I see people crying about female Robin not getting an amiibo. As far as I see it, this is more of a matter of consistency and not so much "bias", and it's actually this kind of stuff that bothers me.

Basically, I just don't understand why it's so bad that Male Kamui is getting more coverage, if we all clearly know that they're equal.

If they are clearly equal, then they should be given equal coverage. Basically by not doing this Nintendo/IS is reinforcing age old stereotypes that males are more important than females, ergo sexism.

That would be the general theory behind this thread.

Because the female is better than the male.

Should we get a Kamui amiibo and this happens again, I say we riot.