Fears for If?

Mr. Myrmidon

What are the things that you guys REALLY don't want to happen in If? For me, I hope that the characters will be less one noted and anime trope - ish like in Awakening. I'm hoping for some good depth and character development. (I'm hoping Intelligent Systems will pull this off well, but meh)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the things that you guys REALLY don't want to happen in If? For me, I hope that the characters will be less one noted and anime trope - ish like in Awakening. I'm hoping for some good depth and character development. (I'm hoping Intelligent Systems will pull this off well, but meh)

My fear is a unit's statistics will be too good to the point that it renders the weapon debuffs useless. I also fear that pair up will still be unbalanced.

Yeah I'm hoping pair up is nerfed too. It look nerfed in the trailers, but who knows?(we didn't know what support levels the units have.) As for the stat thing, it might sadly be grossly unbalanced again(though not as bad.) But, I looked at Joker's stats in the Dengeki Nintendo spread, and for his level, they didn't seem too OP

My fear is that I'll go crazy waiting for the game to come out in the US.

I hope we're not forced to kill off Camilla the other siblings of the opposite route. I'd like the option to spare them, at the very least.

Hmm... I'm more worried about this for Hoshido due to it's simpler objectives, but map design is one thing I'm concerned about. If it's all just open fields, that would definitely kill some of the enjoyment.

I fear that the in-game "choices" are going to be very few in numbers, and I really hope I'm wrong about that. I want to have some drastic story changes.

I hope that there will be tons of character customization options, but I think it'll end up being only be a few more than Awakening.

Weapons not being unique, with every weapon just looking the same for all classes and models, from bronze through silver. This may make it more simplistic for fanart and cosplay purposes, but...

Same as Tsunami, I wanna be able to choose to spare them. ;;

But I'm also really really hoping that this game avoids the godawful grinding that FE had.

I'm fairly confident the story will be far more competent than awakening, but I really want to one day see a FE that doesn't shove its non-main-characters off as background characters after their first chapter. It's always been one of my gripes with FE that usually when that character you really like just becomes irrelevant after their recruitment. >:

I'm also still concerned for the prevalence of skills vs stats...

Basically I don't want this damn game to be another awakening.

But I also agree with BlizzardWolf on the "Choices" thing. And honestly I don't have a lot of hope for that aspect... IS hasn't shown themselves to be proficient with this type of narrative at all.

Edited by Ritisa

I agree with you, goodperson707.This community is unbelievably toxic. As far as "flaws" I don't think there will be too many with this game. The only real issues will probably be opinionally based. However, I have this really weird feeling that the endings won't be very well received.

Hmm... I'm more worried about this for Hoshido due to it's simpler objectives, but map design is one thing I'm concerned about. If it's all just open fields, that would definitely kill some of the enjoyment.

Speaking of level design, I'm curious if the FE7 weather mechanics are returning given Nohr's harsh weather. Also, FOW maybe?

I agree, Monado Boy. One of my biggest gripes with Awakening was how god awful and bland a good chunk of the maps were in terms of terrain and strategical use.( the ship and harbor maps were cool though, and all the maps looked good.)

The choices won't be that good, the story won't be that good, the issue with conflicting morals will be resolved with a Dark God from Nowhere becoming the antagonist that both parties must defeat, no actions have revelant consequences to the end game, hard mode will be easy and lunatic will be insane again, everyone becomes pals on lategame and the Hoshido and Nohr leaders reach childhood friendship level of chummyness in the epilogue.

Yes, I am pessimistic.

Edited by Rapier

For Hoshido I'm not really worried because I know what to expect.

For Nohr I'm worried it's going to be too easy. As long as using a single character to tank the entire game doesn't work like it does in Awakening, that should be good enough.

I'm also afraid healers won't be able to defend themselves again. They put that in RD and took it out for all the games afterwords. Why?

I hope weather returns.(but I hope it isn't tedious like the Border Sands) Fog of war could be cool, too. We have seen a snowy village in the trailer, so maybe snow could have some practical effects?Also, maybe you could use Dragons Vein to alter the weather or maybe even in conjunction with the weather.(maybe cause an avalanche or mudslide?)

i liked a large portion of the map designs only problem was that that a good amount of the ones i like are not in the main story and needed a child character to get to or to complete the game. Also you likely to be overlevled by then.

Edited by goodperson707

I fear choices will be only be morally black or white, or that they don't even affect anything.(Emmeryn's death, anyone?) Im praying that the choices you make will change the opinions of your allies on either side. (If you make too many big decisions they don't like, they will leave. Or their supports levels with you will slightly rise)

The choices won't be that good, the story won't be that good, the issue with conflicting morals will be resolved with a Dark God from Nowhere becoming the antagonist that both parties must defeat, no actions have revelant consequences to the end game, hard mode will be easy and lunatic will be insane again, everyone becomes pals on lategame and the Hoshido and Nohr leaders reach childhood friendship level of chummyness in the epilogue.

Yes, I am pessimistic.

There a being pessimistic and there is being unrealistically pessimestic. You couldn't have been more over the top even if you had tried.

I hope weather returns.(but I hope it isn't tedious like the Border Sands) Fog of war could be cool, too. We have seen a snowy village in the trailer, so maybe snow could have some practical effects?Also, maybe you could use Dragons Vein to alter the weather or maybe even in conjunction with the weather.(maybe cause an avalanche or mudslide?)

Border Sands wasn't weather based it was sand as terrain. The weather mechanic for FE7 was cool but was used what like twice with one of those being the tutorial chapter that explained it? It was honestly just an excuse to lengthen the chapter by limiting movement. FOW would be nice though.

I'm really worried about difficulties Awakening had a unbalanced ramp up between Hard and Lunatic, hard mode was playable lunatic almost encouraged grinding. Although in the new game grinding is supposedly hard on Nohr so maybe itll be close to FE10 hard mode. But hey there's pheonix mode so I'm doubtful of balance.

There a being pessimistic and there is being unrealistically pessimestic. You couldn't have been more over the top even if you had tried.

Well that's pretty much what Awakening was ( and for the record despite my issues with it I enjoyed Awakening.)

If looks like it's having genuine effort put into it, so it's really up in the air about what could happen

I hope that, if they bring supports back, they do a few things with it.

Nerf it! This is one of my biggest gripes. Up until Awakening, it boosted your stats a bit but wasn't second world.
Make less people support each other. In Awakening, everyone can support everyone. But before that, you could only support a select few people.
And just write it better. With less people supporting, it should be easier.

Honestly, I just hope they don't bring back marriage or babies or any of that.

(Rapier)If is getting a top notch writer, so I doubt that the story and choices will suck. Also, this game seems to be going for themes of symmetry and gray moralities. The endings will probably bloody, so I doubt the sides will be on any semblance of good terms.

Edited by Mr. Myrmidon

Well that's pretty much what Awakening was ( and for the record despite my issues with it I enjoyed Awakening.)

If looks like it's having genuine effort put into it, so it's really up in the air about what could happen

I know but still. With the reports of a new writer and the focus being on choice. That type of negativity Rapier put out is incredibly toxic and should be relegated to jokes and not a serious discussion.