VC influences

dragonlordsd

So, the folks at intelligence are clearly huge Valkyria Chronicles fans, as Code Name:Steam is essentially a direct copy of the gameplay. Now it looks like they're taking a lot of ideas from the series and applying them to FE as well.

Personally, I think that it's a good idea for them to learn from other series, but at the same time, I hope they can incorporate the new stuff well, and make sure the game still stays... well, Fire Emblem.

Thoughts?

So, the folks at intelligence are clearly huge Valkyria Chronicles fans, as Code Name:Steam is essentially a direct copy of the gameplay. Now it looks like they're taking a lot of ideas from the series and applying them to FE as well.

Personally, I think that it's a good idea for them to learn from other series, but at the same time, I hope they can incorporate the new stuff well, and make sure the game still stays... well, Fire Emblem.

Thoughts?

How is it like Valkryia @IF

What ideas are you thinking of, idly? (I only played like an hour of VC2, gameplay seemed interesting but I couldn't stand the writing.)

Regardless I really doubt if is in danger of becoming more VC than FE, so I don't see much to worry about. If IntSys can take some good ideas from other series and implement them well in Fire Emblem, more power to them.

I heard that Valkyria Chronicles had a shitty plot. To the risk of causing a nuclear war, I want to ask: is that true ?

I can see the similarities between VC and Code Name Steam but what differences are there compared to FE:if? Can you give us more examples?

I heard that Valkyria Chronicles had a shitty plot. To the risk of causing a nuclear war, I want to ask: is that true ?

I've only played the first and finished the first one and I don't recall a nuclear war ever occurring at all. The plot just takes inspirations from Europe's world war 2 fronts using the Darksen as an inspiration of destroying specific races and a bit of random fantasy elements with the Valkyria descendants.
Edited by kingddd

As a huge fan of VC, I can definitely see the influences. The Nohr Hater Skill is very similar to the Darscen Hater or Rosie Hater Skills in VC. Some character designs remind me of VC, but that's about it tbh unless you want to count having unlimited Weapon/Ammo Uses with the exception of the Tank Lances in VC and having limited health uses.

In terms of what elements I want to see from VC, I would like to see a casual/phoenix mode that acts like VC2 which leaves your units inactive for a few battles, that way the player gets the consequence of unit defeat without turning on Classic.

Honestly, I'd love to see an Advance Wars with VC Story Elements. I'd also like to see Valkyria Chronicles 4 explore a FE: IF style of storytelling with multiple paths etc.

Actually after Atlus is done with SMTxFE, they need to make Valkyria Chronicles x Advance Wars. Atlus does have access to Sega IP after all...

I've only played the first and finished the first one and I don't recall a nuclear war ever occurring at all.

The bit about a nuclear war was me joking. Along the line of 'to the risk of enraging the fanbase'. :p

Though the Valkyria, Valkyrias ?... Are apparently a metaphor for nuclear weapon, in fact, I think that one of them go kaboum.

Codename Steam felt like XCOM + VC for me.

Regarding the X-hater skills, that could be a VC influence, though also one from D&D where Rangers could pick a Hated Monster species and they would receive a combat bonus against that particular type of monster.

I do like it though, new features can be nice.

Yeah, I meant about personal skills and class skills.

Additionally, all of the skills that have been announced so far don't behave like normal fire emblem skills, but are like Valkyria Chronicles skills, in that they focus much more on buffs and debuffs.

Also, they're adding in more landscape related tactics.

Edited by dragonlordsd

Ah, I misread from being tired (thanks, school!). Sorry about that.

Yeah, all these new skills might be able to make characters with relatively lower stat growths more useful or at least allow for the creation of scenarios where some characters are more useful than others and we can avoid the character spam in New Mystery

Though the Valkyria, Valkyrias ?... Are apparently a metaphor for nuclear weapon, in fact, I think that one of them go kaboum.

Apparently all Valkyria had some kind of ability to blow themself sky-high like a person shaped nuke, so it is kinda there.

You're a terrible person for not knowing about a game you haven't played and I hate you.

The plot is pretty serviceable, if basic. It's a small country vs empire scenario, much like many Fire Emblem titles, but it's set in a fantasy version of WWII era Europe. Some of the themes explored aren't executed very well but most of it is well done. I can't speak for the sequels but I'd highly recommend the first game. Also like Fire Emblem, one of its selling points is a large cast of diversified characters.

Edited by NekoKnight

Personally I feel the 3rd game is the best one, but it's only in japanese though an english patch does exist for a bit of work.

Valkyria Chronicles is a series I've spent a lot of time with since Day 1... and the similarities are not any deeper than other SRPGs would be I guess! I've played all three, and the plot for one is the best in my opinion. Three was okay, two was a bit of an experiment for a different demographic.

Codename Steam is much more like Sakura Wars than Valkyria Chronicles, even down to the steampunk setting and steam usage and how it effects ammo + movement (where as in VC they were two different things).

Perhaps they pay homage though in the form of various things, such as the Great Knight named Gunther, a class called Lancer (to be fair that was just how Vincent translated it), the Darcsen-hater equivalent pointed out above, etc.

But then when you sit back to look at the differences, you'll probably see there are more of those than there are similarities.

Personally I feel the 3rd game is the best one, but it's only in japanese though an english patch does exist for a bit of work.

I've always been afraid that the 3rd game is secretly terrible, and Sega knows it, and that's why they've never released it in English. Because the other games have done really well, and it never made sense for them not to localize it.

@Kirokan: I haven't played sakura wars yet, so Idk about the similarities.

I know there are major differences between VC and FE, I just think that a lot of the changes have been very heavily influenced by the ideas that are unique to VC's style.

VC games in general have better plot than the whole FE franchise's.

DID SOMEONE SAY VALKYRIA CHRONICLES?

VC1 is a motherfucking masterpiece, the plot was simple yet effective, the characters were enjoyable, Welkin and Alicia's relationship was great, and the gameplay was something never seen before. The scale of each battle actually felt like a war and the shaded textures really helped give it that old WW2 feel. In many ways, the battles reminded me of FE4. VC2 regressed in a lot of ways, but the core gameplay drastically improved. VC3 perfected everything that VC2 went for, and has probably the best plot in the series. The ending is one of the best I've seen in any game ever.

The skill Nohr hater made me think of Imp Hater and Darcsen hater so fast. I dig it.

The skill Nohr hater made me think of Imp Hater and Darcsen hater so fast. I dig it.

As soon as I saw Nohr Hater, I thought "Oboro is going to be this game's Jane Turner. Make it so, IS!"

As soon as I saw Nohr Hater, I thought "Oboro is going to be this game's Jane Turner. Make it so, IS!"

I haven't really played VC but the skills do seem to be very intriguing to me. I wonder what other crazy things will happen. Possibly unique bosses(as in bosses with actual names, not generic bandit boss #4598583) could have their own personal skill, like Walhart did.

srsly, i love dat sig doe <3

I haven't really played VC but the skills do seem to be very intriguing to me. I wonder what other crazy things will happen. Possibly unique bosses(as in bosses with actual names, not generic bandit boss #4598583) could have their own personal skill, like Walhart did.

srsly, i love dat sig doe <3

All bandit bosses have names tho

I don't see why they wouldn't give bosses unique skills considering some already had them in Awakening (Aversa, Walhart). Maybe a skill that prevents a boss from being just a lump of stats would be interesting.

Never played VC in my life though, but I like the ideas of personal skills so any more influence like that is welcome.