Theory: Kamui's choice simbolizes IS's situation

saifors

So this suddenly popped up in my mind, about how the choice that Kamui has to make, is kind of simbolizing a choice that Intelligent Systems is trying to make, and with how much they've been showing confidence in their writer (which would mean it's a good writer), this theory might not be too farfetch'd.

So I was thinking, what if there's more to the whole "Nohr is for veterans" and "Hoshido is for newcomers".

I don't mean just difficulty-wise, but also story-wise, it's been time and time again shown that Hoshido is all happy and positive, while Nohr is all dark, so what if the choice Kamui tries to make is the choice IS is trying to make, think about it, Hoshido signifies the casual crowd and Awakening, continuing on this path would lead to financial success without much of a hitch (easier difficulty and from a story perspective there are no internal conflicts), on the other hand you have Nohr, the FE veterans, side with them and your success isn't guaranteed, it's a minority (signified by less characters) and it'll be an uphill battle (the higher difficulty, and a much harsher setting), and the only thing you can hope for is that you're able to make it grow and eventually take over Hoshido in your rise to glory.

To help the case of Hoshido being more like awakening: it's eastern styled, and Awakening is much more japanese and anime than most FEs.

What do you guys think?

If you have anything to add to this theory I'd love to hear it.

Edited by saifors

[...] it's a minority (signified by less characters) [...]

We're not sure about this. Just because they showcased more Hoshido-exclusive characters in pre-release promotion materials doesn't mean that Nohr would have less characters.

It's an interesting theory, but how does the third path fit into this? I also don't think that IS is having any moral struggle with how FE should be set up, but seeing how well each version sells before deciding what direction to take FE in. Less, "What's the right side?" more, "What's gonna put the bread on the table?".

EDIT: Oh my god I just noticed the tags. Nice one.

Edited by Honey Bunny

Hmm? Actually if you think about it the Nohr path is at least partly you reforming the Nohr kingdom, which if Nohr = veterans? Does that mean we are supposed to try to fix the dark-side of the veteran side? and if the ending is positive are they saying that we at least have to try to coexist with the awakening crowd? bonus points if we have access to the world map at the end of Nohr.

Hmm? Actually if you think about it the Nohr path is at least partly you reforming the Nohr kingdom, which if Nohr = veterans? Does that mean we are supposed to try to fix the dark-side of the veteran side? and if the ending is positive are they saying that we at least have to try to coexist with the awakening crowd? bonus points if we have access to the world map at the end of Nohr.

Damn. I know you didn't mean it, but that feels like a stealth shot from IS towards the veterans then.

Loving the tags of the thread though.

This is the greatest theroy I've heard all day.

The third route is obviously representive of IS trying to make more fans like myself. ie Start with Awakening but goes back to play the other games, whilst representing the classic fans who are willing to coexist with the filthy casuals.

The third route is the literal peaceful coexistance amongst all the fans route.

But hey thats just a #gets shot#

Edited by MCProductions

Damn. I know you didn't mean it, but that feels like a stealth shot from IS towards the veterans then.

I don't mean any insult. Yeah it could be kinda a stealth jab at the veterans if it was intended by IS but i would assume that since the reform is probably removing Garon&co that it is more referencing the bad parts of the veteran part of the fandom which as much as i don't like that it exists it most certainly does to an extent.

I guess that the peace loving Hoshido is a bit of a insult, but if Hoshido has a dark side as well i see less of an insult but more that the dark side of the veterans needs fixing more than the dark side of the new and casual players as i guess the veterans are a bit more important to IS. Though if the dark side of Hoshido is only seen on the Nohr route i will laugh a bit at the implications that the problems with Hoshido/awakening is only seen by veterans. lol that would be a masterful stealth insult imo

I don't mean any insult. Yeah it could be kinda a stealth jab at the veterans if it was intended by IS but i would assume that since the reform is probably removing Garon&co that it is more referencing the bad parts of the veteran part of the fandom which as much as i don't like that it exists it most certainly does to an extent.

I guess that the peace loving Hoshido is a bit of a insult, but if Hoshido has a dark side as well i see less of an insult but more that the dark side of the veterans needs fixing more than the dark side of the new and casual players as i guess the veterans are a bit more important to IS. Though if the dark side of Hoshido is only seen on the Nohr route i will laugh a bit at the implications that the problems with Hoshido/awakening is only seen by veterans. lol that would be a masterful stealth insult imo

You know, its already been implied this is the case that Hoshido's problems are only seen in Nohr. If so, this starts something worse. Nohr soldiers verbally insulting Hoshido troops as filthy casuals

It's not really a symbol, it's actually designed to function that way. They're doing this to figure out what people want from the series. The fact that it's split into different games is a function of this, not a factor.

So if I buy Special Edition, what kind of message am I sending to IS?

I'm agreeing with Vitezen; it's less of a symbol and more of an explicit design. They said it out loud that each side is made to appeal to old and new fans.

This actually reminds me of another throey I had, though I never meant it seriously: Hoshido and Nohr represents Japan and Europe, and this game is their attempt to jab at the West for being war-loving (in a political way). Alternatively, they think veteran Fire Emblem fans are evil.

So if I buy Special Edition, what kind of message am I sending to IS?

I'm agreeing with Vitezen; it's less of a symbol and more of an explicit design. They said it out loud that each side is made to appeal to old and new fans.

This actually reminds me of another throey I had, though I never meant it seriously: Hoshido and Nohr represents Japan and Europe, and this game is their attempt to jab at the West for being war-loving (in a political way). Alternatively, they think veteran Fire Emblem fans are evil.

Probably that you're annoyed at having to pick one side. That and you're willing to give FE lots of your cash.

I basically said what Vitezen said earlier, just not as well put. So put me on the, "They were explicit about it already" bandwagon.

Probably that you're annoyed at having to pick one side. That and you're willing to give FE lots of your cash.

Or it's an idealist's dream: The unity of the two sides in the fandom.

EDIT: OF course, it'll probably involve one guy beating the shit out of each side, but they'll be fine.

Edited by ScarletFlame

I'm shaking my head over these tags, but then again, this does sound like it's ripped right out of one of the theories from the time the channel used to be good and not some kindergarten.

It's not really a symbol, it's actually designed to function that way. They're doing this to figure out what people want from the series. The fact that it's split into different games is a function of this, not a factor.

Yeah, I don't think there's anything meta or subtextual about the two factions being aimed at two different types of fans. It's pretty much the point.

I really, REALLY hope they're not going to use sales figures of one version v. the other to determine how to make Fire Emblems in the future. For one thing, I'm excited for what both games have to offer, and wouldn't want either to be the last game in their style. For another, a strategy like that just seems kinda cynical.

My hope is that IS got together after FE:A and asked "what kind of FE should we make next, this kind or this kind?" and someone was like, "why not both????" and that's what they did.

I might not have been too clear on this.

I'm not talking about just plain simple "Nohr for vets" "Hoshido for casuals".

But how the very factions themselves represent the 2 sides of the fandom.

And that Kamui IS Intelligent Systems, in fire emblem character form, both sides represent these 2 sides of the fandom.

And now the choice is: stay loyal to those who brought you up even though it's more risky (Nohr).

Or go to the side Or you go with Hoshido which is guaranteed success in the grand scheme of things even though you leave Nohr (the veterans) in doing so.

Sort of symbolic.

Can't really say how 3rd path would fit into it, as we don't know much about it.

Although if it's go against both it could be like IS saying "screw it, we're making a Paper Mario game instead, that franchise prints more money".

and a everybody comes together would be like IS trying to satisfy both sides of the fandom.

And that Kamui IS Intelligent Systems, in fire emblem character form, both sides represent these 2 sides of the fandom.

This thread is so deep...

I have high expectations for the third path. I want Kamui to pull a Galle with whatever dragon they're worshipping and then just force both Nohr and Hoshido into submission and be like: world peace. :squeezedtangerine:

Heh, if the Nohr route symbolizes reforming the less-than-desirable parts of the FE fandom, then it's going to have to be at least three times the length of the Hoshido route.

By the way, then according to your theory, characters should represent something as well, no? Harold represents the guys who keep dying to those 2% critical chances, if that's the case.

I might not have been too clear on this.

I'm not talking about just plain simple "Nohr for vets" "Hoshido for casuals".

But how the very factions themselves represent the 2 sides of the fandom.

And now the choice is: stay loyal to those who brought you up even though it's more risky (Nohr).

Or go to the side Or you go with Hoshido which is guaranteed success in the grand scheme of things even though you leave Nohr (the veterans) in doing so.

Sort of symbolic.

Can't really say how 3rd path would fit into it, as we don't know much about it.

Although if it's go against both it could be like IS saying "screw it, we're making a Paper Mario game instead, that franchise prints more money".

and a everybody comes together would be like IS trying to satisfy both sides of the fandom.

None of this really stops what we were saying (or what I was saying at the very least). IS very likely isn't making this decision through a moral quandary, but through sales figures. The analogy sort of breaks down once you factor that in. Kamui more closely resembles the consumer than anything else. You buy a version, and whatever you buy is what you're going to get. Either a game made for veterans of the series, or one that's accessible. Kamui chooses between two sides, and whatever side they choose is the side they get. Special edition shows that you're okay with whatever IS does. Third path, and special edition kind of mess with that analogy though.

It would be really cool if what you're saying is true, don't get me wrong, but I'm just too cynical to believe it.