Do you think Aqua is going to be good at combat?

Espinosa

The sole fact that she's wielding lances gives me that eerie feeling we will finally have a dancer that's capable of taking some punishment and also dishing out damage of her own. So far this has been unprecedented in the FE universe afaik.

Considering that she's likely to be a required character in every chapter that results in a game over if she dies, I really hope that she's at least competent if not necessarily especially powerful.

Edited by capmalachi

Her stats at lv 1 are hp 16 str 5 mag 2 skl 8 spd 8 luck 6+4 (due to a skill) def 4+1 and res 7+1 (i assume due to her weapon) from one of the scans

Make of that what you will. Plus she's a songstress so dancer precedent may not apply completely. But those stats seem combat dancerish to me.

Edited by goodperson707

Miccy was still a glass cannon at least on easy mode

Micaiah was both easily doubled and easily OHKO'd, so it's the last character I would cite.

Those stats look like a decent hybrid between a dancer and a myrmidon... or maybe that's a stretch, but still 5 str is better than what we saw on Feena and Olivia... a little bit. Her growths and specifics of upgrading weapons might turn out more crucial.

Micaiah was both easily doubled and easily OHKO'd, so it's the last character I would cite.

If she's OHKO'd, it doesn't really matter whether or not she's doubled, you know?

If she's a unit refreshers that's good at combat, that's almost counter-productive because you can't dance and attack at the same time.

Didn't Aqua have kinda terrible base stats in that … one image shown of her at base or something? Let me try looking for said image again.

EDIT: Found it, somehow.

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/fami1405-3.jpg

Base Aqua seems to have the same base HP as base Olivia and … maybe slightly higher everything else? Not sure if it's enough to make a difference, but maybe those bases aren't shit for how early she shows up?

Edited by Sunwoo

If she's OHKO'd, it doesn't really matter whether or not she's doubled, you know?

If she's a unit refreshers that's good at combat, that's almost counter-productive because you can't dance and attack at the same time.

She's often OHKO'd and often doubled, sometimes both.

Good combat can never be counterproductive. If she dances somebody, she will be exposed to the enemies when the enemy phase begins, and beging able to take hits lets her survive, while being able to defeat enemies allows her to level up quickly and maintain a certain level of durability. You can also use turns where dancing isn't turn-shaving (sorry, I happen to think from this perspective) to feed her kills for self-improvement.

Didn't Aqua have kinda terrible base stats in that … one image shown of her at base or something? Let me try looking for said image again.

Another user cited her base stats a few posts above yours.

Another user cited her base stats a few posts above yours.

My brain doesn't work when I'm sleepy

I'm guessing the question then is whether those bases are good or bad for when we get her. If she shows up in like chapter 1 or 2 I think it'd be passable, but lol if her join time is anything like Olivia's.

My brain doesn't work when I'm sleepy

I'm guessing the question then is whether those bases are good or bad for when we get her. If she shows up in like chapter 1 or 2 I think it'd be passable, but lol if her join time is anything like Olivia's.

I do hope she's an early-joiner before the route split.

Those stats look like a decent hybrid between a dancer and a myrmidon... or maybe that's a stretch, but still 5 str is better than what we saw on Feena and Olivia... a little bit. Her growths and specifics of upgrading weapons might turn out more crucial.

Feena had 1 Strength which is pretty laughable. Her Speed and Skill being on par with the two aside, her Def and Res is way above theirs. I'm sure Aqua will be more than decent.

Besides...lances.

Feena had 2 str with a 60% growth. Not that most people would bother using her for combat anyway, but I'm sure many would be very fond of a 60% str growth Aqua. Feena had 16/5/0 bulk; Olivia had 18/3/2. Aqua's 16/5/8 (some of which she owes to her equipment - 1 point?) is comparable to the other two physically, and her resistance is noticeably higher and resembles some of the other dancers we know from past games.

A lot depends on her join time and what the game itself is like (enemy density, power, etc.). Remember Sylvia from FE4? She had 28 HP (though everyone was really healthy in that game).

Feena had 2 str with a 60% growth. Not that most people would bother using her for combat anyway, but I'm sure many would be very fond of a 60% str growth Aqua. Feena had 16/5/0 bulk; Olivia had 18/3/2. Aqua's 16/5/8 (some of which she owes to her equipment - 1 point?) is comparable to the other two physically, and her resistance is noticeably higher and resembles some of the other dancers we know from past games.

A lot depends on her join time and what the game itself is like (enemy density, power, etc.). Remember Sylvia from FE4? She had 28 HP (though everyone was really healthy in that game).

Well, not that it's a clear indicator or anything, but good base stats (promoted units aside) tend to mean that characters will be capable. Dancer's in general also have good speed, so I'm not worried about her being doubled. But too many times have I leveled my Dancer's only to have their Def remain in their single digits at max level, so I'm hoping that Aqua at least will have better Res, if not Def growths as well. What other Dancer's have had that much Res to begin with?

And yeah, but this is also the game where the first mage you get has like 30 HP and the first thief closes in on 20 base speed.

Edited by Val'air

I want to know not only is she good in combat, but can she remain that way late-game? Which is to say, will Songstress get a promotion/extended level cap with combat-appropriate stat caps? I'm not expecting a singing Halberdier or something, but Awakening's Dancer had STR and DEF caps equal or below the pure magic classes.

Without knowing either her growths or having a good sense of what the stat averages at any given point in the game look like yet it's pretty impossible to say, e.g. those base stats would be great in FE6, but pretty bad in Tellius (assuming the start of both).

I expect she won't die to a sneeze like Olivia did, due to her greater plot importance and earlier join time, but beyond that who knows.

Well, not that it's a clear indicator or anything, but good base stats (promoted units aside) tend to mean that characters will be capable. Dancer's in general also have good speed, so I'm not worried about her being doubled. But too many times have I leveled my Dancer's only to have their Def remain in their single digits at max level, so I'm hoping that Aqua at least will have better Res, if not Def growths as well. What other Dancer's have had that much Res to begin with?

And yeah, but this is also the game where the first mage you get has like 30 HP and the first thief closes in on 20 base speed.

Feena and Olivia are probably the only two dancers that don't end up growing a lot of res given a sufficient number of levels. Elphin and Lalum could probably grow a little more, but when you remember how tiny the average growth in resistance in their game is, it's actually more of a blessing than a curse too (even if Bolting still means danger). But yeah, their res stats don't start out very high at base.

And we've had plenty of examples of frail lords by now - Micaiah is the obvious one (if you even want to call her a 'lord'), then there's Lyn and Eirika who you wish were a little bulkier. Eliwood, Roy and SD!Marth are quite fragile for people who do efficiency runs on harder difficulties, but end up just bulky enough if you spend enough time in chapters to feed them kills and watch them really grow. I suppose Leif could be cited here, but FE5 isn't a game played by units' stats really, so Leif's other strengths and qualities motivate investing resources into him so that it's not such a problem anymore.

Ike9 started pretty fragile as well. (Didn't stay that way, but neither did Eirika.)

But dancer-types are a bit different. Arguably they should be kind of fragile, to make up for the utility they had. I mean, if a super-tanky character could also give a turn to your best offensive unit, that would be rather ridiculous. If not as ridiculous as giving turns to your four best offensive units.