Promoting the Dawn Brigade in Part 1

The idea is that you're using everyone in the DB sans Leo, Fiona, and Meg. Everyone considered at least usable in NM/HM. I tend to only get them all to level 17 or so and use the 4 Master Seals on Aran, Jill, Edward, and Nolan. Usually, Master Seals only see their use outside of level 20 in Hard Mode and 17 doesn't feel close enough to 20 to where you'd say screw it, or far enough away to feel like a waste. Have you ever been able to consistently and efficently use the majority of the Dawn Brigade, where every move has major opportunity costs, and keep them balanced and effective for Part 3? Or is just too much of a hassle when others get the job done better and immediately?

Due to the nature of the Dawn Brigade, there's hardly a point in using all of them, rather focus on a select few, usually Sothe, Micaiah, Nolan, and Edward for me.

There's not as much EXP to go around as the other teams in the game so your select few need to take what they can get to be viable in Part 3.

The Crimean Royal Knight chapters seem to suggest otherwise.

Ehh, yeah, I guess. I mostly meant the Greil Mercs.

EDIT: While the CRKs don't have many chapters, they're leveled high enough and have plenty of chances to get some EXP. More than the DB, at least.

Edited by Draco

EDIT: While the CRKs don't have many chapters, they're leveled high enough and have plenty of chances to get some EXP.

How do they have plenty of chances to gain EXP if they don't have many chapters?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

How do they have plenty of chances to gain EXP if they don't have many chapters?

There's plenty of enemies in their chapters, iirc.

Less chances to get EXP than GMs still though

I normally get Nolan and Jill to level 20 before promoting them, and get Aran and Leo to as high a level as I can (usually something pathetic like 14) before promoting them. Lughnasadh > Edward.

In general unlike most other FE10 casual players here I promote my units not before level 20.

The only exception is Edward, because he usually maxes out HP, skill and speed very early. I always give him a bexp. level to increase his strength and defense and then I promote him at level 17 or 18.

Also I always use Leonardo instead of Aran, because he's the only range weapon user of the DB besides Micaiah and Lugnasadh is the best of the legendary weapons of Daein and makes Leo more useful in part 3. If he has reached 15 speed, he'll double most of the tigers instead.

I would only focus on Nolan and Edward to be honest. Aran and Jill might be other viable options if you've got some to spare. Sothe and Micaiah get promoted through story events if I'm not mistaken.

I normally get Nolan and Jill to level 20 before promoting them, and get Aran and Leo to as high a level as I can (usually something pathetic like 14) before promoting them. Lughnasadh > Edward.

Having an extremely low speed base needed for Lughnasadh to be good, requiring tons of BEXP to boost that could better be used on other characters, is not better than Edward.

Focus on a few characters from DB, and use from other groups.

I generally don't have any issue promoting them before part 1 is over (or at least getting them close). That said, I generally stay as far away as humanly possible from hard mode; I also don't bother with Edward (Too much trouble to work with in general), Meg (for obvious reasons), and Jill (Lackluster bases for her level, at least without transfers).

Edited by Levant Caprice

Leonardo is a funny case because with 0 investment whatsoever he is still a pretty useful unit in part 3 and 4. Note I said useful, not strong. Lugh is more useful than Eddie.

Having an extremely low speed base needed for Lughnasadh to be good, requiring tons of BEXP to boost that could better be used on other characters, is not better than Edward.

Focus on a few characters from DB, and use from other groups.

Leo can chip. Eddie is outclassed by Zihark. As others have said, Leo's decent without investment, and giving him an early promo will help his combat without being too much of a hindrance on the rest of the team. Edward is garbage without investment. Leo > Eddie.

Leo can chip. Eddie is outclassed by Zihark. As others have said, Leo's decent without investment, and giving him an early promo will help his combat without being too much of a hindrance on the rest of the team. Edward is garbage without investment. Leo > Eddie.

Leo's USEFUL without investment, not necessarily good. Although Eddie isn't even useful without investment. Your point about Zihark is void, as you don't consider other characters when debating over two specific ones. If given his needed investment, then Edward>Leonardo. However, Lughnasadh (not Leonardo)>Edward. Whether you use Edward is a different story.

Fact of the matter is, Leo has a lot against him too. IE, lackluster bases and bad growths. Without investment he's a good chipper, however chipping does not mark a unit as better, especially if the other has kickass growths and makes better use of his investment. (I bet that was a comma splice)

The units most deserving of investment (and generally are better than those below) are (not including Sothe and Volug for obvious reasons)

Jill>Nolan>Zihark>Aran=Edward(former has better defensive capabilities, latter has better offensive capabilities. Tbh Aran is probably slightly better)>Ilyana(good availability)>Leo>Meg>Fiona.