How would you feel if in Zelda U they gave you the option to play as a female Link?

That's like making Paper Mario female. It wouldn't make sense.

As much as there can't be a male Zelda, there can't be a female Link, they're both reincarnations of the first Hero and Zelda and gender-tied.

And don't come at me with Link being "linked to the player" and an "avatar" or something, Link is an established character, eventhough he doesn't have an influence on the story in dialogues.

Merely how you interprete his character is up to the player, which is why he's mute in all games.

If anything, they should do it like the Witcher 3 did with Ciri, creating an entirely new character like for example Link's sister, which could lead to some interesting co-op gameplay.

But you can't change the rules for the sake of calming some SJWs or something.

I'm sorry the creator of the series disagrees with you? Shigeru Miyamoto has literally stated that Link is meant to be the player, which is why he never has dialogue and no real personality. Need me to dig up a quote for you?

And calling bs on the "gender-tied" reincarnation. It's possible to reincarnate into a different gender, race, and sometimes even species.

None of this has anything to do with SJWs, I just want to be able to play as myself for once in one of my favorite series. Is that too much to ask?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any reason to do so, but at the same time no reason not to so might as well (It's like with the LGBT supports in FE, People are going to whine and moan whether it's in the game or not).

Do I think Nintendo would actually go through with. Lol no. Nintendo are the masters of being nailed, bolted, and riveted in their ways, and even moreso for their character designs.

I'd be against it.

Maybe have it be Queen Zelda and her son, in that case? Instead of the usual unnamed and unseen King.

I take it you haven't played Wind Waker or Minish Cap, then. Also, technically Zelda is the queen of Hyrule in Twilight Princess, but the whole "Twilight taking over the realm" stuff happened before she could be coronated. Curse you, Stephanie Meyer!

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Imagine this

Link

But with boobs

That's literally all a female Link would be

There's no need to drastically change Link's appearance to make him a girl, and it wouldn't somehow make Loz the most generic shit ever. Seriously you act as if making Link a girl as an option is the worst thing ever that would ruin the series when all it does is finally give players more of a choice of what gender they want to play as.

This is mainly why I DON'T want a female Link, see. A female Link would look so similar to the original male that it would feel redundant. At least the Pokemon protagonists actually have a lot of differences between their designs. Heck, sometimes hair color is even different between the boy and the girl!

Now if Nintendo made a female Link look more different from her male counterpart and be given a different name and all just like in Pokemon, I'd be fine with it.

That's just the thing, though, Ana. It's basically just saying that the chosen hero and heir to that legacy doesn't always have to be male, since each Link is their own character anyway. There is no one Link, just a collection of traits that could fit just about anyone.

I take it you haven't played Wind Waker or Minish Cap, then. Also, technically Zelda is the queen of Hyrule in Twilight Princess, but the whole "Twilight taking over the realm" stuff happened before she could be coronated. Curse you, Stephanie Meyer!

It's actually because I love the hell out of Wind Waker. King of Red Lions best character

Edited by algae

This is mainly why I DON'T want a female Link, see. A female Link would look so similar to the original male that it would feel redundant. At least the Pokemon protagonists actually have a lot of differences between their designs. Heck, sometimes hair color is even different between the boy and the girl!

Now if Nintendo made a female Link look more different from her male counterpart and be given a different name and all just like in Pokemon, I'd be fine with it.

Just look at the concept art from Hyrule Warriors. It's not that hard to make a female design for Link that looks different from the male Link. And unlike Pokémon you, the player, are meant to be Link, so making another character defeats the purpose.

There shouldn't be choice. The next incarnation of Link should just be female. It's only fair.

I'd so be down with that. Too bad Zelda U's Link is a dude so far as we know :x

You guys do realize that of it was implemented it would be optional. The only problem I see with this is if Nintendo decided to do another thing like Spirit Tracks and have Link and Zelda have heterosexual feelings for each other.

This is mainly why I DON'T want a female Link, see. A female Link would look so similar to the original male that it would feel redundant.

That's a terrible reason. Female Link would have to look similar, making her a different character would be a bad idea as the whole point is to represent the player.

Female Link is not a separate character. It's like choosing a gender when starting a game of Pokemon, but the boy/girl you didn't choose doesn't appear at all during the game. You're not forced to be a girl it's am option.

I was just thinking about how link could better represent the player, this was never meant to be a social justice warrior thread.

This probably wouldn't happen, but I'd definitely like this feature implemented, not for me though.

Edited by Rabbattack

Imagine this

Link

But with boobs

That's literally all a female Link would be

There's something I could say in response to this, but I think it's inappropriate. I'm just going to type these three sentences instead, and assume that most people will get the idea. I am so polished and mannerly and sophisticated and subtle.

this reminds me....what if they had zelda save link like one of the zelda CD-I games? <w<I doubt it's official, but there was also an entry in the Nintendo Adventure books where Zelda saves Link. I think he gets trapped in a giant crystal or something. I thought it was a great book when I was something like 8.

Ya fuck that purple text is supposed to be in the quote box.

Edited by Severlan

Just look at the concept art from Hyrule Warriors. It's not that hard to make a female design for Link that looks different from the male Link. And unlike Pokémon you, the player, are meant to be Link, so making another character defeats the purpose.

I've seen that art and imo, it doesn't look much different. And how can you say the player is meant to be Link, but not meant to be the Pokemon protagonist? That makes no sense. You name the protagonist in Pokemon and choose their gender. You choose more for them than you do Link.

You guys do realize that of it was implemented it would be optional. The only problem I see with this is if Nintendo decided to do another thing like Spirit Tracks and have Link and Zelda have heterosexual feelings for each other.That's a terrible reason. Female Link would have to look similar, making her a different character would be a bad idea as the whole point is to represent the player.

Female Link is not a separate character. It's like choosing a gender when starting a game of Pokemon, but the boy/girl you didn't choose doesn't appear at all during the game. You're not forced to be a girl it's am option.

Except the different genders of the Pokemon protagonists often look very different, like I said. Look at Calem and Serena, hardly any similarities. Leaf looks pretty different from Red. Ethan looks quite different from Lyra and Kris. And so on. The only pair of Pokemon protagonists I find to be even a little similar to one another are Lucas and Dawn, and even then, they still have enough differences for me to be satisfied.

Edited by Anacybele

I've seen that art and imo, it doesn't look much different. And how can you say the player is meant to be Link, but not meant to be the Pokemon protagonist? That makes no sense. You name the protagonist in Pokemon and choose their gender. You choose more for them than you do Link.

Except the different genders of the Pokemon protagonists often look very different, like I said. Look at Calem and Serena, hardly any similarities. Leaf looks pretty different from Red. Ethan looks quite different from Lyra and Kris. And so on. The only pair of Pokemon protagonists I find to be even a little similar to one another are Lucas and Dawn, and even then, they still have enough differences for me to be satisfied.

The whole point is supposed to be to have them look similar, I don't know where you're going with this.

Because the Pokemon protags are unique characters. Link is not.

Yes. Edited by Rabbattack

The Pokemon protagonists have no established character whatsoever. The idea that they are less representative of the player than Link is is nonsense, as Link has personality. Regarding a female Link, I'd be fine with that. I'd also be just as fine with it not being a choice, either way. As long as the game is fun and the story is decent, I don't care.

Edited by blah2127

Her outfit design looks different enough from Link to not be too "samey" at least, though she isn't meant to be a totally separate character so it's kind of irrelevant. As for the Pokémon protags, they are pretty superficial avatars, to the point that I have never once felt that they represent myself in any form. It's kind of annoying. They finally allowed customization in X and Y and it was the best decision they ever made, but now it seems like they're limiting it to Kalos only, and honestly that pisses me off more than anything. You finally give us customizable avatars, making us finally be able to really feel like we were part of the adventure, but then you decide you're only doing it for a single fucking region? Goddammit GameFreak.

In the Legend of Zelda, Link is the one chosen by the Goddesses, the one who has the Spirit of the Hero, and no one else is capable of doing the things he does because they don't have that spirit that makes them the hero, You are Link, you're not Aryll or Ilia or anyone else. A female Link would be no different from the male, because she would still have the Spirit of the Hero and still be chosen by the Goddesses. She can't be someone else, because then she wouldn't be Link, and by extension wouldn't be the hero.

Edited by Kon

Yeah, GameFreak limiting customizable trainers to only Kalos is stupid, I agree with that much.

But isn't this female Link actually a different person that's like a sister to Link, and her name is Linkle? I thought I heard that somewhere. I just wish she looked a little more different.

The Pokemon protagonists have no established character whatsoever. The idea that they are less representative of the player than Link is is nonsense, as Link has personality. Regarding a female Zelda, I'd be fine with that. I'd also be just as fine with it not being a choice, either way. As long as the game is fun and the story is decent, I don't care.

Also, this 100%. Link might not have much personality, but he has a little bit. At least a couple times, he's shown to be kinda lazy and enjoy his sleep. lol

There was speculation regarding it but in the end it was only a concept for a female version of Link. The name Linkle was a tentative name, likely used to distinguish the design from the male Link's.

And that little bit of personality does not make him such a fleshed out character that he can't be changed into a female. Nevermind the fact that not even all of the Links are the same person.

Those of you saying that they should create a new female character to play as are really missing the point. People don't want to play as a different character. They want to play as Female Link.

Edited by Jave

I wouldn't mind. But they better have a good explanation as to why there's a female Link.

No, they don't. Link is supposed to be the representative of the player. There should've been a female Link 29 years ago.

No, they don't. Link is supposed to be the representative of the player. There should've been a female Link 29 years ago.

Right, there's that. I don't think much will change in the story except for his appearance then.

I rather let Zelda have a spotlight for once, damn tire of always having to save her. Let her go with Link on his adventure and we have the option of playing in her PoV or Link's.

Though I really don't care much about having female Link in the game for any reasons except appeasing sjw.

Though I really don't care much about having female Link in the game for any reasons except appeasing sjw.

Ugh, what is with this "appeasing SJWs" bullshit whenever the topic of female leads in games comes up? What about appeasing, I dunno, people who want to fucking play as female characters? Like the ever-growing demographic of female gamers?

This response isn't targeted specifically at you, Awakener, but anyone who has said this kind of thing. I've seen a lot of it and it's getting really annoying.