How would you feel if in Zelda U they gave you the option to play as a female Link?

The speculation about female Link in Hyrule Warriors got me thinking... should players be able to choose the gender of Link? Although not likely, I think it would be a great idea, as Link is supposed to represent the player. To do this, the developers even let you name him. Pokemon did this starting in Crystal version, where the main protagonist was similar to Zelda's in the way they represent the player.

Edited by Rabbattack

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't mind the idea, but I know that the Zelda community will make a big fuss about it.

Many people don't like change, even it was implemented, it would be optional. I imagine many of the complaints would come from fangirls who don't want their husbandos ruined or soiled.

It'd be a bit weird from the standpoint that Link while a bit of an avatar for the player is more of a iconic character at this point so it would be interesting to see what they would come up with in the story.

Link also ususally starts the games with some sort of background or personality already established compared to say Kamui or Robin who have zero background whatso ever and start as a blank slate.

Either way I just hope for a damn good Zelda game.

I'd be estatic, personally. Link was always meant to be a stand-in for the player, so finally being able to play as a lady in one of my favorite series would be amazing

Honestly? I wouldn't mind even if Female Link is the only choice. Link is a different person in almost every game, so I wouldn't be against the idea that at some point the legacy was passed to a woman.

Of course, at the end it's all a fanfic written by the Ice King, Marceline and Lumpy Princess.

I personally don't mind the idea, but I know that the Zelda community will make a big fuss about it.

Majority of Zelda fandom wouldnt be that arsed as long as it was like, a choice. Like if you could pick dude Link or lady Link. Its been a point of discussion for years now. Most seem ok with the idea.

Im just not arsed. But i dont like the idea of Link being a lady for the sake of it. Mostly because id rather have playable Zelda in a full on Zelda game first.

i would become erect

and female link cosplayers would have a proper reference, meaning there will be more of them

linking back to my first point

I'd rather have a character like this one I made up several years ago. Similar to Link in a few ways, but still her own person with her own distinct personality and such. I know Link is meant to represent the player, but he just doesn't feel as much like an avatar character as the Pokemon protagonist does since you never choose his gender or anything, only his name and this is how it's been for many years. Pokemon added the female protagonist option when the series was still small. Zelda now has over a dozen games and also a couple spinoffs. It'd feel weird to implement an actual female Link option now.

The reason I say that a second playable character can still have a few similarities to Link is so people that WOULD actually like a female Link option could still be satisfied. It's like a compromise, basically.

Since Link is an avatar character, this is something long overdue. I get why he was male-only originally, but it's outdated now.

And I, of course, would be pretty happy about it.

I don't care that much, but at the very least I'd probably play as a female zelda heroine in the first game she appears in.

Does anyone care if they make Princess Zelda Prince Zelda, or would you rather keep Zelda's gender constant?

I want female ganon now.

I think it'd be weird to just kinda change the canon like that?

Though I guess it's a dif Link every time and we haven't seen a girl link so far, so I'm all for it.

Does anyone care if they make Princess Zelda Prince Zelda, or would you rather keep Zelda's gender constant?

If we were playing as the hero Linkle, I wouldn't mind a Prince Zeldo. However, she is the namesake of the series, so I think that one would be harder to work in well.

If we were playing as the hero Linkle, I wouldn't mind a Prince Zeldo. However, she is the namesake of the series, so I think that one would be harder to work in well.

Yeah I think new names would be in order.

Although something I was thinking that could potentially make this problematic is if Nintendo started doing the avatar system with all their games it would leave little to associate their valuable IPs with. Each game would just be a projection or an avatar of the player. It would be like pick your flavor of avatar in one game you're a tactician, in one you're a pokemon trainer, and in one you're a elf hero. While attractive at first glance I could see it essentially causing Nintendos IPs to become too similar and overuse the formula to death. I just wouldn't want Nintendo to become the "choose your flavor of avatar developer" essentially leading itself to have characters with no personality or defining traits because they are all projections.

Take the reverse scenario of Metroid for instance choosing to be a male or female bounty hunter with the male being Samuel. Now where does that leave Samus's character and one of the defining parts of Metroid?

In fact the more I think about it now. I think I'd prefer either Zelda just having a game being the protaginist or a new lead as a female if they are shooting to have a female protaginist.

Edited by LordTaco42

Maybe have it be Queen Zelda and her son, in that case? Instead of the usual unnamed and unseen King.

Edited by algae

Considering that this Zelda is apparently more 'open-world', well, it's even more possible.

I have no problem with it... And I don't have a WiiU anyways so... :p

In my opinion, if I had encountered this question much more earlier in the history of the series, like, lots of years and games earlier, I'd have agreed on the premise.

However, at this point in time, I'd think it's a little too late, and so if it happened, I'd partially disagree. Partial, because if the purpose of a female Link is to have a playable female protagonist, I'd say that in my opinion it would be a better idea to just make up a whole new character for that, and not simply just grab Link and change his sex.

Since to me, that would just feel cheap. Let her be her own person.

I was just discussing this with a friend today actually. It could work, considering every incarnation of Link is different. I wouldn't mind a female Link, as long as it was either that, or male Link as an option. I wouldn't like the idea if the player could choose which gender, should be one or the other from the get go.

Edited by DragonLord

Honestly? I wouldn't mind even if Female Link is the only choice. Link is a different person in almost every game, so I wouldn't be against the idea that at some point the legacy was passed to a woman.

My thoughts exactly. I mean, every Link is a different person, and anyone truly bothered by a female Link could just, you know, play literally any other game in the series. This isn't like making Mario female or Samus male, since those two are both established as being the same person throughout every game. And as for the idea that all the Links are reincarnations of each other, just look at the Avatar series.

Zelda's a bit trickier, being the title character and all, but she's also a different person every time. Though the "Queen Zelda with either a son or daughter depending on which gender you pick" idea could work. Ganondorf is the same dude almost every time, but the Ganondorf in Four Swords Adventures is apparently a different guy (though I've never played that game myself), and the main Ganondorf is already a reincarnation of Demise, so he operates on the same reincarnation rules as the other two it seems. Also, given how Gerudo genetics seem to work, any biological children of Ganondorf would almost always be female.

So, basically I'm saying that it's entirely possible to make a Zelda game where Girl Link saves Prince Zeldo from Ganondorf's great-granddaughter (who inherited the power of Demise from her ancestor) or something without messing with the lore of the Zelda universe.