How would you feel if in Zelda U they gave you the option to play as a female Link?

You know, I prefer to ignore this whole reincarnation/timeline bull, just like I prefer to ignore the 'personality' that Link seems to have. :p

The only Zelda where you can't ignore Link's 'personality' is in SS... or ST ? I never touched that one.

You know, if you can play as a FemLink, well, does it mean that Zelda will be a dude or what ? Hm, it could be problematic when you think about it.

Edited by B.Leu

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL THE FEMALES

Realtalk if there were a female Link it doesn't mean that there has to be a male Zelda, since they're not even an official couple aside from maybe SS and ST. Not that I wouldn't mind a male Zelda, it just wouldn't be necessary if Link was female. ~o3o~

I'm actually against this now because I now have more reason to believe that the hero is always reincarnated as a male and the goddess as a female after my playthrough of Wind Waker. Boys being dressed in the hero's clothes and Ganon looking for girls with pointy ears. It's pretty obvious what is what now.

If this detail did not exist, then I would have been fine with the change. Before I approved of the change to Link, but I was always against having Zelda change. Now I think the two characters should stay how they have always been.

Edited by Rabbattack

I'm actually against this now because I now have more reason to believe that the hero is always reincarnated as a male and the goddess as a female after my playthrough of Wind Waker. Boys being dressed in the hero's clothes and Ganon looking for girls with pointy ears. It's pretty obvious what is what now.

If this detail did not exist, then I would have been fine with the change. Before I approved of the change to Link, but I was always against having Zelda change. Now I think the two characters should stay how they have always been.

Well, this changes...absolutely nothing, actually.

People are only people. Just because the hero of old was male and the people made traditions based off that doesn't mean the hero can't be reincarnated in a girl. Same goes for Zelda since Ganon, powerful as he may be, is not a god.

Just because Link has so far always reincarnated as a male, it does not mean that he is incapable of reincarnating as a female. It's possible to reincarnate as the opposite gender, as a member of another race, and even as a different species. Even then, the matter of Link and Zelda's reincarnations/descendants has no bearing on the tradition of Outset Island or why Ganondorf was specifically looking for a girl with pointy ears. Those on Outset Island had 12-year-old boys dress in the hero's clothes to specifically honor the Hero of Time, who was male himself. The elders on the island wished for the youths to find courage just as the Hero of Time had.

As for the "girls with pointy ears", Ganondorf was specifically looking for Princess Zelda, as he wanted the Triforce of Wisdom and knew she had it. Whether he truly believed the two Zeldas were one and the same or not I don't really know, but that's irrelevant to him. Fact of the matter is, these connections are to the Link and Zelda of Ocarina of Time specifically, not to their predecessors. Of course, it's not as if anyone in WW would know about any of the previous incarnations, since very few legends managed to survive the flood.

these are laughably weak excuses for Link and Zelda to never change, to be completely honest.

Just because Link has so far always reincarnated as a male, it does not mean that he is incapable of reincarnating as a female. It's possible to reincarnate as the opposite gender, as a member of another race, and even as a different species. Even then, the matter of Link and Zelda's reincarnations/descendants has no bearing on the tradition of Outset Island or why Ganondorf was specifically looking for a girl with pointy ears. Those on Outset Island had 12-year-old boys dress in the hero's clothes to specifically honor the Hero of Time, who was male himself. The elders on the island wished for the youths to find courage just as the Hero of Time had.

As for the "girls with pointy ears", Ganondorf was specifically looking for Princess Zelda, as he wanted the Triforce of Wisdom and knew she had it. Whether he truly believed the two Zeldas were one and the same or not I don't really know, but that's irrelevant to him. Fact of the matter is, these connections are to the Link and Zelda of Ocarina of Time specifically, not to their predecessors. Of course, it's not as if anyone in WW would know about any of the previous incarnations, since very few legends managed to survive the flood.

these are laughably weak excuses for Link and Zelda to never change, to be completely honest.

Im pretty sure they both will always be Hylian, from what has been shown in the past 18 Zelda games. Gender could be changed, although very unlikely, but I don't see them making a Goron hero, this would upset fans more than female Link, it would also be a very dumb choice tbh. Reincarnation may work differently in the Zelda universe too, especially when considering that it is only mentioned to happen for the three big characters. I'm not against the idea, I would like to see female Link. What I should of said is that I don't see it happening with what's been established in the previous 18 Zelda games.