Starfox Zero

Jedi

I don't see why nowadays it's necessary for all games to have an online component, especially in a game series like Star Fox, where the main focus is on the single player mode.

Also, that small robot is cute.

Amen to the first part.

I hope they don't give that robot a "kawaii" voice in the west..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well yeah its star fox, replay value is its forte

It's been a bit finicky with that since 64, Adventures was of course Zelda like, Assault had some but it was mostly its multiplayer that kept people coming back.

We'll see if Miyamoto can pull this off or if he should take a backseat to developers that don't hamper games doing what they should (looks at Sticker Star),

Edited by Jedi

This news I saw in the direct really hyped me especially with Peppy's "Do a Barrel Roll" line. It's nice to view this on the now up to date graphics and cannot wait for Slippy's return as he is my favorite character.

Edited by Lt_Matilda_Ajan

As hyped as I am to get to use the Walker with 60 frames per sec and a joystick, I can't help but feel slightly let down by the fact that we are back to the original team. I know this was an extremely unlikely scenario to say the least, but considering how much Star Fox 2 I played, I can't help but see them as part of the team and would have loved to finally see them make their official debut after all these years. Unlike Star Wolf, they never got a chance.

Besides, the light ships were the best ones. The longest boost meter and double laser from the go, just what you need under the constant time pressure. I have to give Command at least credit for giving Slippy big guns to offset his lack of agility.

...you know, in retrospect it's kinda weird how Star Fox used to have 6 members, yet Star Wolf only got 4. Of course you don't get to play with more then 2 ships anyway and fighting basically the same boss over and over would be boring, but you'd simply expect the team of evil counterparts to have an equal number of members.

Edited by BrightBow

As hyped as I am to get to use the Walker with 60 frames per sec and a joystick, I can't help but feel slightly let down by the fact that we are back to the original team. I know this was an extremely unlikely scenario to say the least, but considering how much Star Fox 2 I played, I can't help but see them as part of the team and would have loved to finally see them make their official debut after all these years. Unlike Star Wolf, they never got a chance.\

I am very mixedbag about going back to the original 64 team. It feels like they're trying to retconn everything that happened in Command because of its multiple ending arcs and the reception from the very vocal fanbase. Not to mention the overall plot was kind of a mess in Command and the fanbase itself is very divided on how the story should continue but at the same time, I felt the game would have been fine if it continued right after assault instead of just going back to the 64 arc. It felt like a lazy fix to admit that they made a mistake on the cinematics and the story telling at the time and that caused that "reimagining" instead of a continuation.

I was personally fine with krystal and seeing the orbital gate assault stage in Smash 4 with the original team and her not appearing was just odd for me considering that stage took place during the aparoid invasion of Assault.

I am very mixedbag about going back to the original 64 team. It feels like they're trying to retconn everything that happened in Command because of its multiple ending arcs and the reception from the very vocal fanbase. Not to mention the overall plot was kind of a mess in Command and the fanbase itself is very divided on how the story should continue but at the same time, I felt the game would have been fine if it continued right after assault instead of just going back to the 64 arc. It felt like a lazy fix to admit that they made a mistake on the cinematics and the story telling at the time and that caused that "reimagining" instead of a continuation.

I was personally fine with krystal and seeing the orbital gate assault stage in Smash 4 with the original team and her not appearing was just odd for me considering that stage took place during the aparoid invasion of Assault.

Personally I don't see Star Fox in a significantly different light then Mario in regards to continuity. Or maybe my body is simply so ready to go up against Andross and Star Wolf again, that I don't care how that scenario occurs. Whatever the reason, I feel totally at ease with this retelling.

Edited by BrightBow

Personally I don't see Star Fox in a significantly different light then Mario in regards to continuity. Or maybe my body is simply so ready to go up against Andross and Star Wolf again, that I don't care how that scenario occurs. Whatever the reason, I feel totally at ease with this retelling.

So much this.

The characters in SF 64 had unique, interesting personalities that made playing the game fun.

For an example, Peppy, Pigma, and James really spice up the player's immersion on the adventure, especially with how they stand in the plot. Your dad dies, his old friend is on your team, and his other friend betrayed him to side with the big bad. When you arrive at Venom, it's a very dramatic place since there's this buildup and backstory to why you're out to avenge your father and save the galaxy. It's simple, but works so well for a game. (There's other stuff too, like fighting Star Wolf or helping Bill at Katina.)

I honestly think a retcon of sorts is great. The characters in 64 served the gameplay and enriched it. Instead of trying to muddy the story more, why not go back to what made the game and its characters so lovable and memorable from 64?

That being said, I'm beyond hyped for this game. I feel this approach is better than anything I had hoped for.

Love the series, but with the announcement of no online I just realized...I've never played Star Fox in multiplayer.

The game looks great, and I'm pretty hyped for it. I don't mind that it's a reboot as long as the game is pretty great, also a "transforming" amiibo sounds interesting, I sincerely hope they manage to pull it off. Also having watched the Nintendo Treehouse livestream, the stealth segments were actually pulled off quite well from what I could see. Apparently being able to replay levels in any vehicle is possible so that should be quite fun as well.

• 2 months later...

Star Fox Zero has been delayed:

We have been developing Star Fox Zero for Wii U with the aim of releasing it this year. Although we felt that the development had been progressing well, we now believe that we will need a little more time to work on areas such as the unprecedented discovery that we want players to experience in the game by using two screens, and further polishing the level designs and perfecting the tone of the cut scenes. While we have already reached the stage where it would be technically possible to release the title in time for the year-end holiday season, we want to polish the game a bit more so that players will be able to more smoothly grasp the new style of play that we are proposing.

To the people looking forward to the launch of the game this holiday season, I am very sorry.

Star Fox Zero is going to bring new game play and experiences that take it far beyond the framework established by Star Fox 64. All the members of the development team are doing our best so that the final product will not betray your expectations. And the game will not be delayed for a very long time – we’re aiming to launch the game in Q1 2016. Please stay tuned for further announcements.

This is slightly concerning, because now I believe the only thing the Wii U has for November is Mario Tennis. What could come out of this delay might be promising--refined gameplay, better presentation, maybe even some sort of online component--but the now-single November title probably won't give the Wii U anything to stand on. NoA has Yoshi's Woolly World coming out in October, at least; and Xenoblade Chronicles X is out in December for the two regions

I'm just curious whether Kimishima provoked this delay or not

I just kinda wish Nintendo had a good handle on how long their games take to develop. Not as bad as Zelda at least, at least they know the year it will come out.