Genei Ibun Roku #FE E3 Trailer

Two things are really annoying me.

First, it seems like Akaneia's the only world that's being treated like it exists.

Secondly, despite the fact that it's going with Akaneia only and seemingly lowest common denominator, people in the West seem to be acting like "Caeda" and "Cain" are entirely new characters, if not outright ignoring them.

As hesitant as I am to agree with him, there seems to be some truth in feplus's words when working off of these trailers.

Edited by Leon of Nohr

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when we were told who was writing it, my hopes went back up. Then this trailer happened. I hope that this is going to be one huge deconstruction because the trailer is pretty embarrassing to look at.

I don't even know what to say to this. I can not categorise this at all. Sure, I know about idols and stuff but I have still no idea what the trailer is supposed to express other then that the game will in fact feature idols.

I guess the only thing left for me to wonder is how does the game even play? This seemed to be a mere collection of cutscenes.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm reasonable. Unlike most posters, who force themselves to be optimists and focus on whatever positives they can find, I call a spade a spade. And this game looks to be a complete trainwreck.

You are free to enjoy this lazy otaku-pandering if that's the sort of thing you enjoy. Good news for you is that I won't be making any more posts on this subforum since my expectations are now in the negative.

Edit: In light of eclipse's post, I have changed my mind. I plan on actively contributing to this subforum throughout the week. Expect lots of calm, reasoned criticisms that conform to the site's rules.

The problem is that your judgment is pre-emptive, negative, and condescending; that's what bothers people. I don't agree with forcing oneself to be optimistic either, but I'm sure most people don't like to have unreasonable accusations hurled at things they like. Perhaps when the game comes out, you'll have turned out to be right; the game would turn out to be pandering dressed up as a game. However, until then, your negativity will just sour peoples' buzz about the game while having them think less of you :/

Just trying to explain the backlash you got.

Anyway, I find the trailer to make the game look pretty cool. I'm not going to get a Wii U for it, but I would watch an LP of it. Not much else for me to say, other than that I'm cautiously optimistic about the game itself.

Edited by Tessie Spoon

Anyway, I find the trailer to make the game look pretty cool. I'm not going to get a Wii U for it, but I would watch an LP of it. Not much else for me to say, other than that I'm cautiously optimistic about the game itself.

Now I am really confused. I could swear the trailer consisted entirely out of cutscenes.

Edit:

There was gameplay in the other trailer so we have a general clue. For now, they seem hellbent on presenting a certain image for the game.

Damn ninjas.

But thank you for the info.

Edited by BrightBow

I was guilty of preemptively judging the game too (mostly on how it looks more like Persona then original SMT like the teaser implied), but now i'm a bit more optimistic since its its own thing and Atlus and IS are working on it with the director of Radiant Historia. I mean thats a dream team if I ever heard one.

at this point the only hope i could have for this game is that it's so ridiculously ANIMEEEEE to try to make some kind of meta, self-aware point about how fucking creepy idols are and how excessive this subculture has become.

that's an extremely unlikely scenario though.

Edited by Irysa

Okay, that other trailer did not help at all. Still mostly cutscenes but more in-game models. There were very few scenes involving lifebars which looked like extremely generic Final Fantasy style gameplay and far more scenes of a player character (?) directionless wandering around in generic environments. Still not sure what to take of any of that other then that.

I would get all these cutscenes if the trailers were story-heavy. But if the focus was on story, why weren't there any subtitles? (well, other then for the generic phrases popping up on the screen every now and then but there aren't any for the actual dialog) I mean, the second trailer is preceded by an ESRB rating, so clearly this is meant to be seen by an international audience. And I'm pretty sure there wasn't a lot of dialogue anyway, and not delivered in a way that made it sound like I was really missing something.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm still not optimistic about this game. It barely has any FE elements in it, and I don't really like how Tiki is portrayed as a loli. Can't speak for SMT, as I've never played any of those games, but from what I hear, this game doesn't do that series much justice either.

It's coming to the point where even if this game did have amazing gameplay, it would still be a major turn off for me because of all of the generic anime themes.

Edited by Upside-DownFish

To ask a general question. Why are they fighting in the first place? What's the in-story justification for destroying FE enemies like Aversa and Gangrel? Who's the bad guy and what do they want? When they finally answer those question with something except for a vague ''heroes and destinies'' line then I think I can properly begin to get hyped for the game.

I like the game and want it to succeed, but I need a bit more of a push than a few colorful trailers.

Edited by Raguna

I'm still not optimistic about this game. It barely has any FE elements in it, and I don't really like how Tiki is portrayed as a loli. Can't speak for SMT, as I've never played any of those games, but from what I hear, this game doesn't do that series much justice either.

It's coming to the point where even if this game did have amazing gameplay, it would still be a major turn off for me because of all of the generic anime themes.

That's FE1 Tiki. She actually was young. And this isn't a crossover, it's a mix of ideas.

at this point the only hope i could have for this game is that it's so ridiculously ANIMEEEEE to try to make some kind of meta, self-aware point about how fucking creepy idols are and how excessive this subculture has become.

Basically what I said with more words. I don't think they expect us to take this seriously. They will build an image then there will be one huge deconstruction in the actual game..... I hope. But then I look at Persona 4 and see that Atlus has the capacity to actually make this game a thing with not a single drop of self awareness.

That's FE1 Tiki. She actually was young.

Yes I was aware of that. I was more referring to her saying "onii-chan" to the main character dude.

And this isn't a crossover, it's a mix of ideas.

Which ideas are they mixing though: Generic Anime 1 and Generic Anime 2, or Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei? At this point it's becoming hard to tell.

Edited by Upside-DownFish

That's FE1 Tiki. She actually was young.

While true, let's be honest with ourselves. Tiki is of legal age while looking and acting like a child. Nowi is of legal age while looking an acting like a child.

Remember how tastelessly Nowi was designed and implemented? Remember how Nowi catered to the "loli" crowd in a way FE1 Tiki or FE8 Myrrh didn't? Now imagine what SMTxFE Tiki will bring us. This is an M-rated game. A game with overt sexualization. A game that shows off panty shots in its introductory trailer. A game that panders to anime fans.

I hope you're ready for Nowi cranked up to 11.

I wouldn't put this past Atlus. I'm actually starting to be seriously convinced that's what they're doing.

I can't imagine that such a parody is even possible anymore.

I occasionally tend to note the near identical outfits between Nowi and Strawberry from No More Heroes specifically because NMH actually was parodying the otaku subculture, with the protagonist being an otaku who masturbates to animes about sexualized little girls, with Strawberry being a character in one of those in-universe shows. And IS created such a character completely unironically and with the added bonus of allowing the player to marry and impregnate her. They went beyond parody with a completely straight face. If this is reflective of the state of affairs in the current industry, it seems impossible to me to still find ways to actually exaggerate that subculture.

Edited by BrightBow

Knowing the FE connection now makes me slightly more interested, but still, the over the top anime/j-pop aesthetic is a major turnoff. It's like tasting overrefined sugar in high doses.

Even Persona 4 doesn't go anywhere near this level in that regard. Dancing All Night looks like it will, but I'm pretty sure that's intended to be a dumb guilty pleasure game.

kinda feeling weird on the combo of Chrom, Caeda & Cain lol but damn. damn damn damn damn DAMN. this game keeps looking better & better. I think I'm in the vast minority when I say this (I haven't been keeping up with peoples thoughts on this one) but this game looks phenomenal. I understand how it can be off putting for fans of both/either or franchise, but I still think it looks great. I suppose I'm just a sucker for happy bubble gummy pop-like scenery like the ones shown thus far... also Saori Hayami as Caeda ahh ~

kinda feeling weird on the combo of Chrom, Caeda & Cain lol but damn. damn damn damn damn DAMN. this game keeps looking better & better. I think I'm in the vast minority when I say this (I haven't been keeping up with peoples thoughts on this one) but this game looks phenomenal. I understand how it can be off putting for fans of both/either or franchise, but I still think it looks great. I suppose I'm just a sucker for happy bubble gummy pop-like scenery like the ones shown thus far... also Saori Hayami as Caeda ahh ~

I think we'll be getting a mixture of various FE games in terms of the mirages.

I'm looking forward to it quite a bit too, though I can understand why others are put off by it. The game is weird - its style is nothing at all like Fire Emblem - but I'm not expecting anything familiar now, so I'm excited to see what they do with it. It looks like it could be a lot of ridiculous fun, if done right, and I'm hoping the Fire Emblem elements will add some interesting touches to the story, even if it isn't exactly faithful to the series.

Remember, this is Anime school logic, lots of things are allowed.

I'm totally not salty because I'd be sent home if I showed up to work like that :P:

Two things are really annoying me.

First, it seems like Akaneia's the only world that's being treated like it exists.

Secondly, despite the fact that it's going with Akaneia only and seemingly lowest common denominator, people in the West seem to be acting like "Caeda" and "Cain" are entirely new characters, if not outright ignoring them.

As hesitant as I am to agree with him, there seems to be some truth in feplus's words when working off of these trailers.

Er. . .Chrom exists?

Well, when we were told who was writing it, my hopes went back up. Then this trailer happened. I hope that this is going to be one huge deconstruction because the trailer is pretty embarrassing to look at.

I think they're working on polishing things - the developer's blog showed off one of the stages. It's possible that the battle system's being revamped or something.

I don't even know what to say to this. I can not categorise this at all. Sure, I know about idols and stuff but I have still no idea what the trailer is supposed to express other then that the game will in fact feature idols.

I guess the only thing left for me to wonder is how does the game even play? This seemed to be a mere collection of cutscenes.

Here's what I got from it (off the top of my head):

- The mirages can talk to people in the real world

- The mirages are something LIKE the FE characters, but not exactly. Notice how their faces are obscured?

- Not all mirages are friendly (hello Aversa and Gangrel)

- There's some sort of magic that changes Shibuya - there's a brief scene where Tsubasa summons a bunch of flowers

- Tiki somehow exists in both worlds

- Likewise, the Shibuya gang can cross over into her world, too

What this tells me is that the mirages are a prelude to two worlds that merge. I'd probably have more info if I bothered to translate what the characters are saying (besides Tsubasa's brief voice clips).

IIRC, SMT is perfectly capable of having side commentary in addition to the main story. I, too, would be thoroughly amused if that's what the developers release.

Okay, that other trailer did not help at all. Still mostly cutscenes but more in-game models. There were very few scenes involving lifebars which looked like extremely generic Final Fantasy style gameplay and far more scenes of a player character (?) directionless wandering around in generic environments. Still not sure what to take of any of that other then that.

It would help if you could read what the gameplay images had. Granted, it's not much, but there's hints as to how you'll fight. . .

Any news on what the dialogue of the trailer is?

I can do MAYBE half of it. . .when I'm not busy. It'll probably contains some errors. I am NOT SoC-level of translation!

---

Oh, right MY opinion of the game. Some stupid clothing designs aside (zipper panties and Maiko), I'm curious to see how it pans out. The release date for the game is still a ways off. I have just enough faith in the staff that they'll produce something interesting.

EDIT: Impressions from the dialogue:

- At one point, Itsuki forcefully asks Tsubasa to sing (might be an early-game hint regarding Tsubasa herself)

- Caeda's quite polite. Chrom seems to trust Itsuki quite a bit.

- Interestingly enough, Kiria's mirage wasn't shown. She mentions something about mirage masters.

- Maiko probably wants to be thought of as a big sister (ugh no)

- Tiki ACTS like her FE1 self.

- I wonder if some of those flashes right after the Avex announcement are hints as to combo attacks

- I still wanna know who the person in gold is!

Edited by eclipse

Oh, right MY opinion of the game. Some stupid clothing designs aside (zipper panties and Maiko), I'm curious to see how it pans out. The release date for the game is still a ways off. I have just enough faith in the staff that they'll produce something interesting.

Which one is Maiko? I'm terrible at remembering names, but that one doesn't sound familiar to me. Someone new to this trailer?