English Name Thread!

Anacybele

Some misc. names I noticed.

Some I barely got a look at, so be wary of typos.

Castle Krakenburg
First Dragons
Flame Tribe
Nohr Prince class
Dragon Vein
Maid
Iron Kunai

Bronze Club
Oni Savage
Samurai
Bronze Katana
Bronze Shuriken
Skill: Miraculous Save
Chapter 2: Gift of Ganglari

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corrin is not Kamui's localized name. The player said she named it Corrin (after herself?) to give her a closer feel to the character. I'd say she just wasn't allowed to use Kamui, or whatever the real localized name is, for promotional reasons. If memory serves correctly, she says you can name Kamui whatever you want.

btw, the only localized name I dislike is Leo for Leon.

Xander is fine for Marx, so I can dealio, and Kaze/Rinkah for Suzukaze/Rinka are just......laughably pointless.

Why is Marx's name Xander? How do you get Xander from Marx??? Everyone else's names are pretty close.

The same way you get Arran from Brad

Suzukaze to Kaze might just be a space issue

Rinka to Rinkah might be to distinguish the Clans' People from regular Hoshidans?

I'm surprised they didn't show Aqua...

I took a screencap of Orochi's weapon, but I can't make out the kanji, if anyone would like to try?

post-4818-0-86509300-1434498637_thumb.png

Edited by Mysterique Sign

I think it's important to remember that they could still easily change the names since it's still very much a work in progress. Who knows, maybe some feedback will change their minds.

I mean, I don't think it will, and some name shortenings were logical I believe, since a lot of people would have a hard time saying "Suzukaze"; hell, in my language, the sound for "z" doesn't exist, so I prounounce it "Susukase" unless I make a very conscious effort.

Changing Leon to Leo felt like the weirdest one of them all to me.

Edited by Thane

ダークプリンス is now Nohr Prince
グレートナイト is Great Knight
メイド is Maid
鬼人 is Oni Savage
侍 is Samurai

金棒 are Clubs

刀 are Katana

暗器 are Kunai

手裏剣 are Shuriken

Orochi's rat-magic-fan-thing is called 鼠神・子 in Japanese, which means "Rat God - First Earthly Branch."

And finally, the capitol of Nohr is Castle Krakenburg, and Kaze has the skill "Miraculous Save," which appears to function as Miracle for his dual partner.

I didn't catch what 忍 was; did anyone else?

Edited by Aethin

For what it's worth, the Japanese devs still call Kamui by his current name.

Also, "Oni Savage". Ouch, that's a little insensitive, isn't it? Savages, savages! Barely even human!

I mean, I don't think it will, and some name shortenings were logical I believe, since a lot of people would have a hard time saying "Suzukaze"; hell, in my language, the sound for "z" doesn't exist, so I prounounce it "Susukase" unless I make a very conscious effort.

Changing Leon to Leo felt like the weirdest one of them all to me.

btw, the only localized name I dislike is Leo for Leon.

Same. I can even understand the Marx name change to Xander (lol no communism references allowed), but just dropping the 'n' from Leon's name feels kind of weird if not pointless.

Suzukaze to Kaze elicits a groan from me, but it's understandable. Us silly Westerners being unable to pronounce Japanese names. (Makes me fear for several other characters, though...) Rinka to Rinkah is just... stupid. Like, why? Dammit, this is the one that I'm irrationally upset over.

Marx to Xander is weird. I vastly prefer Marx, but I'm willing to give Xander a pass if it's anything like the Liz to Lissa for Awakening in that it has to do with matching up with lips in cutscenes. Given how major a character he is, this seems likely. Leon to Leo is meh. Again, I prefer the former, but whatever. Ryouma to Ryoma is... slightly irking. It's so minor, since the names are technically the "same", but... blah.

Primarily, I have a great fear for the future of the Hoshidan character names.

Wasn't Leon a potential communism reference? ; )

Also, I love clubs and kunais.

I was thinking of using "clubs" myself and "kunais" definitely fit the appearance.

Funny how they're Nohrian weapons that sound Hoshidan though...

For what it's worth, the Japanese devs still call Kamui by his current name.

Also, "Oni Savage". Ouch, that's a little insensitive, isn't it? Savages, savages! Barely even human!

IIRC that's actually a more accurate translation to the Japanese name

Well, eventually i'll get used to that "Xander", it isn't a bad name, but i hope they will not go apeshit again while naming the rest of the Nohrian cast.

Edited by Lawful Angry

Leon was probably changed to Leo due to Lyon already being a character in FE8. Maybe, honestly, I wish they went for a full rename, Leo sounds too simple.

FE10 Leonardo tho

Remember how much people complained about Cordelia's name change? And now no one even remember's what it was

To be fair, Tiamo would make very little sense in the West, given that it's a common phrase a lot of people know even if they don't speak Italian. It's not even a pun, just another thing that ties Cordelia to Chrom.

But I'll admit, it's going to be hard using the English names...I wonder how long time it'll take until they become more commonplace.

ダークプリンス is now Nohr Prince

グレートナイト is Great Knight

メイド is Maid

鬼人 is Oni Savage

侍 is Samurai

金棒 are Clubs

刀 are Katana

暗器 are Kunai

手裏剣 are Shuriken

The rat-magic-fan-thing is called 鼠神・子 in Japanese, which means "Rat God - First Earthly Branch."

And finally, the capitol of Nohr is Castle Krakenburg, and Kaze has the skill "Miraculous Save," which appears to function as Miracle for his dual partner.

I didn't catch what 忍 was; did anyone else?

忍 is basically the "nin" of the word ninja 忍者. It can be meant for something else but this seems the most fitting here and I don't know the entire word for that.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Is it possible for the localization name for Kamui is the adopted name for him? But then again, you can't change your hoshido name then...

Edited by LoboKD001

Wasn't Leon a potential communism reference? ; )

Also, I love clubs and kunais.

I was thinking of using "clubs" myself and "kunais" definitely fit the appearance.

Funny how they're Nohrian weapons that sound Hoshidan though...

Not on its own, haha.

Speaking of weapons, Yatogami is now the Ganglari? I tried looking that up and the closest thing I get it is Gangleri, one of Odin's many nicknames, and it means "the wanderer."