How good will Gunter be?

Espinosa

In the recentest gameplay video we just saw, Gunter was kicking ass and taking names as your newest Jeigan (not sure if one out of money, or THE Jeigan). He had absurd bulk, taking no damage from enemy attacks and OHKOing with ease, not really doubling anybody and there's one another thing I noticed - he had only 23 HP, which is a little more than the lv. 1 unpromoted MC (who could potentially benefit from assets and/or flaws like the previous two MUs) and the squishy Maid prepromote.

This is generally nothing new if you look back to some of the other recent FEs. In New Mystery (and Shadow Dragon even moreso), you had a lot of characters join roughly within the same HP range, regardless of their class, which cannot really be said about the earlier FEs, say, FE4-FE10. Arran had only a tiny bit more health than his unpromoted team mates (or none if some of them trained really hard in the Prologues), so did Palla or Sirius (likely lagging behind MU and whatever other characters the player has been training).

So an interesting question to ask would be just how well the new Jeigan - Gunter - will perform. Will he last as long as some of the previous ones? Is his role on tougher difficulties comparable to Frederick's?

I don't think we know his individual skill yet - hopefully it's something useful.

I was wondering about that as well. In yesterday's Treehouse footage Gunter had a 'rating' of 56 as a lv3 Great Knight, the exact same rating Corrin had as a level 6 Nohr Prince. It's a shame we couldn't see the actual stats, but if the rating is any indication it doesn't seem like he'll last very long.

He'll probably turn out worse than everyone at some point because IS assumes that no one will like the Jeigan characters and actually want to use them.

I hope that's not the case, though. If I like him, I want to use him without having to grind like crazy.

Edited by Sir Frederick

He has a rating of 56 compared to Kamui's 54.

In Awakening Rating= Strength + Magic + Skill + Speed + Luck + Defense + Resistance

So technically he's 2 stats higher than Kamui at chapter 2, keep in mind though that Great Knights have poor MAG and RES, and Kamui's promotions give him MAG based weapons, so odds are that Kamui has more balanced stats.

He gains 4xp from killing a normal unpromoted enemy, and 12xp from killing a boss (on chapter 2), so he's probably like Frederick, hard to train (especially on the Nohr path), and turns out mediocre at best, but useful as a pair up partner and as a meat shield.

Plus on Lunatic it's probably Gunter Emblem.

Edited by Thunder Sage

He has true Jeigan written all over him. We already have at least one prepromote per route, Xander and Ryoma (Gawd that's gonna take some getting used to) who appear to be very good units, and Nohr has 3/4 sibs as prepromotes. He's gonna suck outside of Fredricking the first 10 or so chapters on Lunatic.

inb4 he's the next Sedgar. As seen in one of the trailers for this game, earlygame MaXander was doing single digit damage to an enemy unit, so he doesn't seem to immediately fill in Gunter's shoes. I think the jeigans closest in quality to Gunter would be FE11!Jagen or FE6!Marcus, pure speculation on my part, but it doesn't seem like he'll be outright outclassed for a while.

Edited by Phantom037

He looks pretty bad. His bases (assuming he joins at level 3) compared to Jakob's are just sad.

UNIT     HP ST MG SK SP LC DF RS
GUNTER   24 10 00 15 08 09 10 04
JAKOB    21 08 06 12 09 10 07 08

His highest weapon rank is C as well. Maybe his personal skill is really good.

Edited by General Horace

He looks pretty bad. His bases (assuming he joins at level 3) compared to Jakob's are just sad.

Maybe he's suffering from the same AIDS that Arran was.

Good God, is whoever playing the game in the Nintendo tree house bad at fire emblem. Losing both a healer and Silas and doing stupid things like letting the Jagen take the boss exp. Also I'm pretty sure that Gunther is gonna be as bad as Fe11 Jagen, also interestingly he starts out with an iron lance not a silver lance.

How does he look bad considering that he beats Jakob in 4 stats and the ones he loses are only a couple of points lower?

Good God, is whoever playing the game in the Nintendo tree house bad at fire emblem. Losing both a healer and Silas and doing stupid things like letting the Jagen take the boss exp.

She's showing off the gameplay, not doing a Let's Play, so why does it matter if she lets the Jagen kill the boss or gets someone killed?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

How does he look bad considering that he beats Jakob in 4 stats and the ones he loses are only a couple of points lower?

Jakob gains exp about 9 times faster. He's also not a whole lot if not at all better than Kamui was at that point.

Who knows though, maybe he'll have a really cool skill or something else that makes him valuable.

Well if you take into consideration both are prepromoted units they both seem really terrible

In Awakening, Freddy had 13 strength, 10 speed and 14 def

In Path of Radiance Titania had 12 strength, 14 speed and 11 defense

In Binding Blade Marcus had 9 str, 11 speed and 9 def

In Shadow Dragon Jeigan had 7 str, 8 speed and 9 def

They live up to the Jeigan archetype more than the Oifey archetype, but at least Joker can be a pocket priest for a while and he debuffs even with 0 damage.

All I want to know is how good the royal pre-promoters will be. In Nohr 3/4 siblings are pre-promoted units, and Ryoma is the only pre-promoted unit in Hoshido. I hope their base stats range from acceptable to good, and have great growth rates, like Sirius in FE12. If that's not the case then it would be massively disappointing... Oh, and please make them join the team fairly early. I don't want any of them to be Gotoh.

Edited by RidellCrimea

The My Castle video showed that Felicia can go all the way to level 40. So I get the feeling Butler is a special class that's going to go up to level 40 as well. I think Gunter could only be up to par if he has some fantastic growths(balanced by the fact he's getting 4 EXP per kill while starting barely stronger than the other units and even at level 3) or has an amazingly effective personal skill.

He has a rating of 56 compared to Kamui's 54.

If that's from the treehouse video Kamui/Corrin was pumped up to level 5 seemingly to prevent gameovers(since he would take 0 damage). The IGN video seems to have what we may expect normally in the game, they had a level 2 Corrin who's quite a bit weaker.

UNIT    HP ST MG SK SP LC DF RS
Corrin  20 10 04 08 07 03 07 02           
Edited by arvilino

She's showing off the gameplay, not doing a Let's Play, so why does it matter if she lets the Jagen kill the boss or gets someone killed?

Yeah true, but it is a game for newcomers. You might as well show how the game is meant to be played and not make yourself look like a semi hipster you doesn't know what they're doing.

We know he leaves after a while for some reasons.

Knowing this :

1. He dies, and this would be the biggest troll in any FE.

Knowing his Japanese VA died, his role may have been greatly reduced (Kinda like Igor In Persona 4G)

2. He'll come back later, and then he'll either have better stats, or will be the same and endsup being absolutey useless.

Jakob also starts 2 levels lower than him. Jakob actually doesn't beat Gunter that much in terms of resistance due to Resistance +2 being equipped if we're talking about actual bases.

Stats - Resistance +2 + additions for everyone's reference:

UNIT     LV HP ST MG SK SP LC DF RS Sw Ln Ax Mg HW Bw St
GUNTER   03 24 10 00 15 08 09 10 04 D  C  D  -  -  -  -
JAKOB    01 21 08 06 12 09 10 07 06 -  -  -  -  D  -  D
Edited by Sakusa

Jakob and Felicia get normal, unpromoted xp, while Gunther doesn't. Considering the former two start with 6 move, have constant 1-2 range, debuff even with a support attack AND can heal, I'd be surprised if they didn't end up being fantastic units. Gunther on the other hand, is indeed looking very underwhelming. We'll see how it goes.

Edited by Cysx