We have the answer to "is marriage in this game?"

Tackman

I looked through this entire topic and basically saw people getting upset at FE14 doing things that FE4 was doing. Children were in FE4 and I've seen the entire game in action, Fire Emblem 4 was a mess, yet it's considered the greatest game in the series. I wish people would stop complaining about an aspect of one game, while praising the same exact thing in another game in the series.

People don't dislike the child mechanic. (generally)

What they dislike is shoehorning time travel into the plot to accommodate children. (generally)

People also like the way FE4 did it because it's also one of the more famous plot twists in a FE.

Which is:

killing off the first gen and making the player start over with the second gen

Edited by L95

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna be flamed to death and probably treated as a "stupid Awakening fag", but...

WHY NOT.

I mean, human beings and pretty much every living thing on this planet DO have sexual relationships and give birth to kids. It kinda happens. So why not.

I just don't want them to pull out a convenient time travel explanation. Most of Awakening's children were pretty bad introduced because of that, but at least it made a little sense with the story. However, Fates is nothing like Awakening, and I hope that they'll find another way. (My bets and my hopes are on Outrealm [or the likes of Outrealm in Fates] recruit missions, that would end up funny and wouldn't impact the story.)

Edited by Kamikam70

The limited options are most likley talking about Kamui's siblings.

The question is all his siblings or the biological ones only? But then... who knows.

Anyway. I am pretty sure there would be a time skip or outrealm interaction... I hope. You have to admit that Awakening is extremely popular and it is easy to fall back onto the old formula since it bought huge amount of success.

Edited by pradian

I'm gonna be flamed to death and probably treated as a "stupid Awakening fag", but...

WHY NOT.

I mean, human beings and pretty much every living thing on this planet DO have sexual relationships and give birth to kids. It kinda happens. So why not.

People are not upset about children (mostly)

they are upset of the possibility of time travel. (mostly)

I looked through this entire topic and basically saw people getting upset at FE14 doing things that FE4 was doing. Children were in FE4 and I've seen the entire game in action, Fire Emblem 4 was a mess, yet it's considered the greatest game in the series. I wish people would stop complaining about an aspect of one game, while praising the same exact thing in another game in the series.

FE4 didn't use Time Travel and didn't have generic Supports between many fathers and possible child.

Tbh, and feel free to disagree, i kinda dislike the children mechanic as a whole, and if this is true i think that this game is going to be FE 13.5

People are not upset about children (mostly)

they are upset of the possibility of time travel. (mostly)

And I totally agree with (most of) them, as I explained. I'm really hoping for some "magical Outrealm explanation" which wouldn't affect the story.

Tbh, and feel free to disagree, i kinda dislike the children mechanic as a whole, and if this is true i think that this game is going to be FE 13.5

I disagree indeed. I mean, the children are kinda great. But the part I mainly disagree with, whole-heartedly, is "Fates going to be FE 13.5". Just because of KIDS. The games have already proven to be way more than just a copy of the previous one. Don't reduce them to a single feature you dislike.

Edited by Kamikam70

Bleah. This game has been shaking things up enough that there are no real "Awakening 2.0" concerns, but I don't like the idea of this being a series staple rather than something that only shows up every once in a while.

I guess Outrealm stuff could explain it with minimal impact on the story? So that's what I'm hoping for, if this is real. And none of those awkward Awakening-style marriage conversations.

Edited by Othin

WHY NOT.

I just don't want them to pull out a convenient time travel explanation. Most of Awakening's children were pretty bad introduced because of that, but at least it made a little sense with the story. However, Fates is nothing like Awakening, and I hope that they'll find another way. (My bets and my hopes are on Multiverse recruit missions, that would end up funny and wouldn't impact the story.)

You won't be flamed because you aren't really saying anything in direct opposition to what people here have been saying. Obviously people have kids, but those kids come out of the womb as babies and won't instantly grow to adolescence/young adulthood while their parents stay 17 or whatever. From the screenshots it looks like this is the case, and this is what the people here (and apparently you) don't want.

If I'm interpreting "multiverse recruit missions" correctly, that seems like exactly the same thing as what the Awakening children did. We just called it time traveling, but it really was them just coming to the present world from an Outrealm universe where Grima had already destroyed everything.

I think that's what everyone is feeling.

Children: Good

Time Travel: Bad

I just don't see how it's possible to have children without time travel, though.

Dude seriously ?

I can guess you didn't play FE4, did you ?

FE4 proved that including children could be GOOD but in the normal way. Not with time travel stupid things or something like this.

HOWEVER, it is important to underline that a FE game CAN be good even without children. It's not like they must include them. Especially if when they include children, the scenario is compromised.

FE4 SPOILER

The fact is that if it's FE4 like, I would really like to STILL have my units and NOT HAVING ALL OF THEM BURNT WITH FIRE. T_T

Edited by Seo

People are afraid of time travel shenanigans.

I'd be okay if these characters are only bonuses, but I DON'T want another story with time travel. It'd ruin the drama and the tragedy, something I am looking forward to.

FE4 didn't feature time travel and the mechanic was actually very important both for the plot and the gameplay, while in Awakening it was yes, fun, but not as determinant. Not doing good pairs in FE4 means worse units, while you can still use your strong parent units in Awakening and never use children.

Also while FE4 is a game loved by many (myself included), not everyone agrees it's the best (myself included). The "Best in the series in Japan" is a myth. The fan favorites are FE3 for Japan, and FE7 for America and Europe.

No offense, but by that logic Awakening is FE 4.5.

I enjoy the children, but, as you said, feel free to disagree.

Dude, we are not even getting upset about this since we don't know if yes or no there'll be children.

Also, since Awakening sucked with his scenario and especially with that time travel stupid system, people are just getting afraid that a "time travel thing" will be back to justify children's presence.

And don't say that "FE4 was doing this" because NOPE, FE4 just introduced children in the normal way, where they were just children and just grown normally each year after an other. There was not a time travel thing to justify all this.

No offense, but by that logic Awakening is FE 4.5.

I enjoy the children, but, as you said, feel free to disagree.

Well, other than the fact that they implement children in different ways, there are 8 games between 4 and awakening, and no one between Awakening and Fates. There is difference between using something once in a while and overusing it.

I think involving the children mechanic at all at this point would reek too much of Awakening, given that the game is about Kamui's decision, so it should take place in the span of Kamui's lifetime, but I can see them pulling off this mechanic as long as time travel isn't involved. Still hoping in vain this is fake though.

FE4 had characters that returned in gen2 age.

...but there were only two returning characters from gen 1 so they only had to make two portraits lol. (Finn and Oifey)

I mean... there were a few others... (Alvis, Levin, Shanaan, Trabant) But I get your point

Edited by Phantom037

You won't be flamed because you aren't really saying anything in direct opposition to what people here have been saying. Obviously people have kids, but those kids come out of the womb as babies and won't instantly grow to adolescence/young adulthood while their parents stay 17 or whatever. From the screenshots it looks like this is the case, and this is what the people here (and apparently you) don't want.

If I'm interpreting "multiverse recruit missions" correctly, that seems like exactly the same thing as what the Awakening children did. We just called it time traveling, but it really was them just coming to the present world from an Outrealm universe where Grima had already destroyed everything.

Well, thanks, because burning alive isn't exactly a pleasant thing~

You interpreted it correctly (I'm sorry, I forgot the English name of "Outrealm" at the time, I thought it was closer to the French one "Multivers"), but I differ on something. The Outrealm is a place where all dimensions cross, not the portal from which the children are coming. (I think so, at least.) Also, in Awakening, the Outrealm gate (guarded by Anna's cousin) is full of purely optional missions. And that's what I'm hoping for. I don't want story chapters to recruit the children, I want a "purely optional mission". Because time travel is fun once, but boring as hell when it's the only explication twice in a row.

People don't dislike the child mechanic. (generally)

What they dislike is shoehorning time travel into the plot to accommodate children. (generally)

People also like the way FE4 did it because it's also one of the more famous plot twists in a FE.

Which is:

killing off the first gen and making the player start over with the second gen

FE4 INCREDIBLE SPOIL JUST DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T FINISHED THE GAME

Basically nope, the first gen wasn't entirely killed, as Alvis and Levin were still alive through the 2nd part of FE4. You even find them.

I don't mind children so long as they have a good excuse. I just hope its a bit more balanced, since in Awakening with grinding the children outclass the parents in almost every way

Well, thanks, because burning alive isn't exactly a pleasant thing~

You interpreted it correctly (I'm sorry, I forgot the English name of "Outrealm" at the time, I thought it was closer to the French one "Multivers"), but I differ on something. The Outrealm is a place where all dimensions cross, not the portal from which the children are coming. (I think so, at least.) Also, in Awakening, the Outrealm gate (guarded by Anna's cousin) is full of purely optional missions. And that's what I'm hoping for. I don't want story chapters to recruit the children, I want a "purely optional mission". Because time travel is fun once, but boring as hell when it's the only explication twice in a row.

Well sure I guess everything would be fine and dandy if they were optional missions that were limited to purely fanservice DLC, preferably only accessible after the game has been completed so none of its influence can leak into the main story. But if this leak is to be believed, it doesn't seem like it can be construed as such :/

Ehhhhmmmm i don't know if i want this thing around again..

I will give to this game the "doubts of the unknown" buuut, all this fanservice (again) is something i don't like at all.
It's ok for most of the people because they like it, but i, like a 26 yo man that have followed all the series am disappointed by the route of the series with awakening and now with If.

At least i hope the story and the strategic elements will be better than awakening ..

I'm too old.

Edited by Jenoss