Unpopular opinion!

Coriane

I actually, really, really, like the name Corrin as the default. It makes sense too; (to me at least!) Kamui and Corrin, while they don't start with the same letter, they do start with the same sound, just like Robin's default Japanese name started with an R too. Plus Corrin is gender neutral. I'm not saying it is the default, I just think it would work.

I actually, really, really, like the name Corrin as the default. It makes sense too; (to me at least!) Kamui and Corrin, while they don't start with the same letter, they do start with the same sound, just like Robin's default Japanese name started with an R too. Plus Corrin is gender neutral. I'm not saying it is the default, I just think it would work.

Sure, coming from someone named "Coriane" >.>...

I jest though, I myself don't particularly care one way or the other when it comes to the Corrin's name. Corrin works for me.

I didn't exactly hear anything negative about it.

I was just curious though, what is the name Corrin a reference to? Kamui at least has a demonic association. Does Corrin have the same sort of meaning/vibe?

Edited by Kirokan

Sure, coming from someone named "Coriane" >.>...

I jest though, I myself don't particularly care one way or the other when it comes to the Corrin's name. Corrin works for me.

I knew someone was going to bring that up...but I'm afraid that Kamui is going to be one of those names that everyone pronounces differently and then no one can agree on the pronunciation....and I don't have Japanese friends so I can't even ask how you would say that.

Edited by Coriane

I think it should have stayed Kamui. It fits with Hoshido far better than Corrin does. If I'm right, Garon didn't change Corrin's name when he took him. Kaze and Rinka seemed to recognize Corrin's name at least. How does Corrin fit as a Hoshidoan name?

I was just curious though, what is the name Corrin a reference to? Kamui at least has a demonic association. Does Corrin have the same sort of meaning/vibe?

I have no idea. I actually didn't even know Kamui had that kind of association :P

I think it should have stayed Kamui. It fits with Hoshido far better than Corrin does. If I'm right, Garon didn't change Corrin's name when he took him. Kaze and Rinka seemed to recognize Corrin's name at least. How does Corrin fit as a Hoshidoan name?

That's why I say it's an unpopular opinion...a lot of people like the name Kamui better. I suppose it doesn't really matter, given that we can change the name.

The name Corrin itself doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that Corrin doesn't sound remotely Japanese-inspired in general. You could make the argument that Garon renamed Kamui when he was kidnapped, but the fact that Suzukaze recognized the name "Corrin" implies otherwise... other than that, I don't mind anymore. I never use the base name anyway.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that "Corrin" sounds kind of like kirin.

I thought it was fine no real complaints about it and I haven't really heard anything bad from anyone about it. Although if they really wanted to trip us up they could name him/her Morgan.

Haha...it's not that people have said bad things about the name...it's just no one really seems to like it and/or prefers the Japanese default.

Its literally the least important thing in the entire game. A name doesn't change a character.

I suppose it sort of does for impressions.

Imagine if King Garon of Nohr was like... King Timothy.

It has a whole different vibe, there. xD

Other than that the only issue is the un-Hoshidian sound of it, but really it's not a big deal as you said.

Corrin sounds fine but makes no sense to me. Kamui is alright but I really dislike its correct pronunciation (Kam-oo-ee). I'm probably going to call him/her Kamui (pronounced incorrectly because it sounds better to me, Kam-oo). I'm do wish they would've picked a different gender neutral name though. So many nice ones out there.

Kamui, Corrin... It doesn't matter to me. I won't be using either name.

+1. I'll be using my own names. The name given before I change it doesn't matter. Is his name Kamui or Corrin? Neither, his name is Liam.

I guarantee people wouldn't complain if Nintendo let them name the character Shitface or Fagballs.

Don't really have any complaints about any of the names. Sure, some changes are a bit silly, or don't make sense, and I would have liked more names to remain the same, but I still like all the local names. I'll probably like all of them. Unless it's beyond ridiculous.

Course, it will take a little while to get used to them.

Here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrin

I read about this. Apparently our avatar is the 'core' of vitamin B12.

That got a chuckle out of me.

I guess Corrin isn't that much worse than Robin really... plus his official name will be different as far as I'm concerned, not to mention that I'll give him yet another name either way.

Sadly it still matters though, since almost every decent Fire Emblem community will call him/her that

Corrin is no Hoshidan name though, that's for sure. Considering this and Jakob, I'm starting to feel like quite a few references will be lost in translation. Wonder what they'll name Odin, Lazward and Luna...

Edited by Cysx

That got a chuckle out of me.

I guess Corrin isn't that much worse than Robin really... plus his official name will be different as far as I'm concerned, not to mention that I'll give him yet another name either way.

Sadly it still matters though, since almost every decent Fire Emblem community will call him/her that

Corrin is no Hoshidan name though, that's for sure. Considering this and Jakob, I'm starting to feel like quite a few references will be lost in translation. Wonder what they'll name Odin, Lazward and Luna...

So Corrin isn't his official name? I didn't follow the Treehouse so I'm not entirely sure on this.

Edited by Raguna

This is actually a translation issue tho, he wants to pat her on the head in japan land

Their relationship is borderline incest though.

Edited by DualMix

This is actually a translation issue tho, he wants to pat her on the head in japan land

Yes, but not all of us are in weebland like SoC.

NOT THAT THAT'S A BAD THING.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

The name Corrin itself doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that Corrin doesn't sound remotely Japanese-inspired in general. You could make the argument that Garon renamed Kamui when he was kidnapped, but the fact that Suzukaze recognized the name "Corrin" implies otherwise... other than that, I don't mind anymore. I never use the base name anyway.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that "Corrin" sounds kind of like kirin.

Corrin, in Japanese, reminds me of this, and that's not an association I want.

If that really is the default name, it's going to be changed to something that makes more sense. Like Robin.