Marth One-shot Grima through Pavise+

I am OBVIOUSLY NOT trying to keep myself occupied until my copy of If comes in on Monday.

Here's the question...

For people like Czar_Yoshi... do you think there's a way to get King Marth as a Lodestar to get 99 damage on Lunatic+ Grima?

Without the option for barracks and supports...

The maximum STR bonus is "+29" with the Warrior Pair Up, Tiki's Tears, Swordfaire, All Stats + 2, Special Dance, Rally Heart, Rally Spectrum, and Rally Strength.

Am I forgetting something?

Because if I'm not, I guess Marth can't kill Grima in one shot as a Lodestar.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Lessee. . .you're technically forgetting Strength +2, but it won't be as effective as Vengeance.

EDIT: And if you want a slightly higher support level, have Maribelle pass Dual Support+ to Owain.

Edited by eclipse

With Lodestar at 55 Str... and all of those factors together... Give me 96 damage.

I am literally ONE point of damage away from one shotting them as a Lodestar.

The problem with 1/4th damage with Grima is that it rounds down.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Man, Defender could give +1 all around (to Str, notably), but it's not worth removing any other skill for either. Defender doesn't boost the front end if the back end has it only, right?

Edited by Elieson

With Lodestar at 55 Str... and all of those factors together... Give me 96 damage.

I am literally ONE point of damage away from one shotting them as a Lodestar.

The problem with 1/4th damage with Grima is that it rounds down.

Wait, couldn't you give him HP +5 instead of AllStats+2 for extra damage from vengeance?

Waaaaait a second. I think I might have screwed up the math-checking. That's what I get for not showing my work (or checking the nuances on why the amount of power your Great Knight!Marth had going resulted in 102 damage, not 104), I guess.

So we have:

55 Base Str

45 Effective Mt

29 Bonus Str

42 Bonus Vengeance Damage

10 Bonus Aggressor Damage

3 A Swords Bonus Damage (I'm ashamed I missed this, since I'm constantly negating this with Fred in my runs)

This results in 184 base damage. Grima's Def removes 50 of that, bringing it down to 134. Pavise+ cuts that in half, leaving us with 67 (no rounding for Lodestar, but this is a point where the Great Knight version loses damage). Dragonskin cuts that in half again, leaving us with 33.5, which rounds down to 33. Critting multiplies that by 3 to exactly 99 damage.

Fuck yo Pavise+. Grima went down faster than SF pre Fates release.

Now to attempt this feat with Donnel...

While he can use bows to bypass Pavise+, which makes a huge difference, not having Vengeance or Exalted Falchion damage might not make this enough. Let's do the math:

59 Base Str (Warrior Limit Breaker)

19 Mt (Parthia)

26 Bonus Str (Almost the same as Marth's bonuses, but with, plus +2 Str for A Support and -5 Str for no Bowfaire)

2 A Bows Bonus Damage

That's 116 base damage, -50 for Grima's Def. 66 cut in half is 33, which a crit multiplies to, once again, exactly 99. Huh. Well, GG, Grima.

While he can use bows to bypass Pavise+, which makes a huge difference, not having Vengeance or Exalted Falchion damage might not make this enough. Let's do the math:

59 Base Str (Warrior Limit Breaker)

19 Mt (Parthia)

26 Bonus Str (Almost the same as Marth's bonuses, but with, plus +2 Str for A Support and -5 Str for no Bowfaire)

2 A Bows Bonus Damage

That's 116 base damage, -50 for Grima's Def. 66 cut in half is 33, which a crit multiplies to, once again, exactly 99. Huh. Well, GG, Grima.

Guess I know what I'm doing until Fates comes out in the West.

Did you factor in the Ire tile Def bonus?

Great Knight

62 str

45 effective might

27 str bonus (I didn't have special dance on the video)

42 vengeance

10 aggressor

3 A rank swords

189 - 53 Def and terrain = 136

34 x 3 = 102 in the video

Edited by shadowofchaos

Oops, I did not. That's another embarrassing mistake and a better explanation for why your Great Knight deals less damage (also explains how I missed the A Swords on the first pass, since Ire cancels it out). So 131/4 = 32.75, which is only 98 (now that I think about it, I'm reasonably sure I've seen Pavise/Aegis reduce crit damage to non-multiples of 3, so I think the decimals are still factored in until right before damage is dealt, where the numbers are then rounded down; granted that doesn't help you, because 98.25 still becomes 98). Nevermind.

That also leaves Donnel doing 94 (rounded down from 94.5). Like with Marth, I guess it's still technically possible with a Str surge, though.

Bah. Sorry, guys. :/

Where there's a will there's a way!

Not really. No matter how hard you try, you can't make more stats just materialize out of thin air... And that does indeed seem to be what you need to do here.

HOWEVER, if you want to have more fun with Lunatic+ Grima, try Mire-critting him to death with Ricken!Laurent!Morgan. It requires a Barracks Boost but should be doable (calculated it around a year ago, never actually tried it).

The same barracks surge applied to Donnel can also allow the Parthia build to crit for 100.5 before rounding, which is enough. I think he meant "where there's a will there's a way" in terms of actually getting a Str surge to rig onto Donnel, since it's kind of entirely RNG whether one shows up or not. Still, with patience, it should show up sooner or later, especially since he's got months before Fates comes out here (I also imagine the short time frame is why it wasn't practical for the Marth build, otherwise Marth totally could do it).

HOWEVER, if you want to have more fun with Lunatic+ Grima, try Mire-critting him to death with Ricken!Laurent!Morgan. It requires a Barracks Boost but should be doable (calculated it around a year ago, never actually tried it).

Hehe, I tried this with Libra!Owain and was able to Mire-crit Grima for 93 damage (31x3). Libra!Owain has a +4 Mag mod so any Morgan with +8 Mag can do it (maybe even +7, I forget if there was any rounding involved)

The same barracks surge applied to Donnel can also allow the Parthia build to crit for 100.5 before rounding, which is enough. I think he meant "where there's a will there's a way" in terms of actually getting a Str surge to rig onto Donnel, since it's kind of entirely RNG whether one shows up or not. Still, with patience, it should show up sooner or later, especially since he's got months before Fates comes out here (I also imagine the short time frame is why it wasn't practical for the Marth build, otherwise Marth totally could do it).

I've done this to get a STR surge on Mark (Male Morgan) for the Max damage thing...

If you KNOW your barracks will fill up with events when you enter it, save.

Go through them. If no STR surge, go beat a DLC chapter or streetpass battle.

Save.

Go to the barracks. See if STR surge.

If not, rinse, and repeat.

I've done this to get a STR surge on Mark (Male Morgan) for the Max damage thing...

If you KNOW your barracks will fill up with events when you enter it, save.

Go through them. If no STR surge, go beat a DLC chapter or streetpass battle.

Save.

Go to the barracks. See if STR surge.

If not, rinse, and repeat.

So you save before entering if you dont get it restart game go do DLC come back. Right?

Edited by LordTaco42