Media Create: Fates sold more than Awakening (Sales for Week 2 Up)

For a first entry, Lords and similarly important characters only.

Except Chrom. He'll get his chance another day.

Do we really have enough unique lords with variable weapon options, for lords only? even with important characters we kinda have a tome and bow deficit and too many swords and Corrin seems the type to have multiple fighting styles so any tome option he/she has would probably be overshadowed by a Dragon-stones option and possibly a purposely overpowered fully upgraded Yato as well. I guess adding the siblings from fates adds some much needed tomes/bows and mounts but then fates has too many reps but then that would not surprise me. Edited by goodperson707

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we really have enough unique lords with variable weapon options, for lords only? even with important characters we kinda have a tome and bow deficit and too many swords and Corrin seems the type to have multiple fighting styles so any tome option he/she has would probably be overshadowed by a Dragon-stones option and possibly a purposely overpowered fully upgraded Yato as well. I guess adding the siblings from fates adds some much needed tomes/bows and mounts but then fates has too many reps but then that would not surprise me.

Yeah we kinda don't. That wasn't really a serious response tbh. How many actually popular bow users are there though? Lyn has bows as a secondary weapon choice, but none of the primary bow users in the series really stand out as fan favorites in my mind.

What makes it inferior? That's simply an opinion. And I've seen more whining and negative emotions from the side that doesn't want censoring.

And the "it's optional" argument is overused. Sure, it's optional to ever go into or clean up those couple of ratty, beat-up looking rooms in your house. But if you give a people a complete tour of your house, no matter how pristine everything else is, those rooms will bring it all down. Another example: sure, you don't need to sit in the corner drinking gin and chewing tobacco at that party, but you really start getting the impression the party has become something very different from what you liked before.

Have you played the game? It's not as bad as you think it is, and I was someone who wanted censorship after hearing about all the fanservicey pre-release stuff like FE Amie (and still want it for the incestuous undertones). I think it's a given that it'll be toned down in the localisation, but it's really not that bad? You can say "it's optional but it's still in the game so it's garbage!" but seriously, I have not touched the hot springs or the accessories (mostly because they just cost so much) and only did Amie once, and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything because support points can be accumulated so easily anyway.

[spoiler=]

It's like complaining about some food you don't like being set up at a party you're at.

"Why is that there?" you ask. "I hate that food."

"It's for the people that want it," says your host. "Something similar was really popular at my last party so I wanted to do it again."

"But it's disgusting. I like your parties but you better take that food out next time because I don't and won't eat it."

Not the best analogy but yeah.

Yeah we kinda don't. That wasn't really a serious response tbh. How many actually popular bow users are there though? Lyn has bows as a secondary weapon choice, but none of the primary bow users in the series really stand out as fan favorites in my mind.

I know it wasn't serious but seeming to take semi serious comments completely seriously is fun for me. And on Bows yeah you have a point i have trouble thinking of non fates one i can think of besides lyn. Shinon is an option but i don't think he has Japan popularity and just having bows is a bit of a problem. But from my understanding of the likely game mechanics Chrom Lucina could have a Bow option could she not. But from fates we have the Bowshido Sibs considering that every sib has access to bows, 3 of them as a base promotion. The Nohr sibs do the same for tomes 3 of them at base and 1 through reclassing. A bit of a funny parallel tbh younger sibs base access, oldest sib reclassing.

Do we really have enough unique lords with variable weapon options, for lords only? even with important characters we kinda have a tome and bow deficit and too many swords and Corrin seems the type to have multiple fighting styles so any tome option he/she has would probably be overshadowed by a Dragon-stones option and possibly a purposely overpowered fully upgraded Yato as well. I guess adding the siblings from fates adds some much needed tomes/bows and mounts but then fates has too many reps but then that would not surprise me.

It doesn't have to follow the games 100%. If we are using Hyrule Warriors as an example, many characters use weapons they never did in the series proper including a few things that don't even qualify as weapons (a harp, seriously?). I could see them using Fates as the primary source for characters and setting and have guest appearances of important characters from other games in the series. So it would be like Fates but... actually, just like Fates.

For a first entry, Lords and similarly important characters only.

Except Chrom. He'll get his chance another day.

Just make the movesets based on "classes", rather than the character, with some characters. That would allow them to include many secondary characters by making them share a single moveset.

Some very minor characters could also pop up as just generic unplayable npcs, like the various minor generals in DWs. Just throw their name and some characteristic on top, like say, making Kain and Abel or Kent and Sain just generic red and green cavaliers, in full face helmet, with their names writing on top. That would allow them to be used as allies or antagonists in the various scenarios, without actually making them as characters.

Yeah, Media Create has over 300,000 sold for the games, though also, Famitsu sales bring the game up to over 350,000 sold.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073471

I'm assuming those numbers are mainly believe that the Special Edition is separated into two Fire Emblem games. It would match up.

But I thought Japan rated Hoshido higher? o.O

Either way, though, awesome! ^^ FE just keeps moving up! (I just hope that all the fanservice wasn't the reason for the good sales...) Hopefully IS can afford to make a Wii U FE now!

You are underestimating the Yaoi fangirls power!

But, anyways FE lives for another day, now it's more popular than ever, but now enough with the 3DS, they better be making a Wii U game, in the vein of Tellius!

Having had some time to think about things, I'm honestly surprised with the level of sales and I'm glad for Nintendo/Intelligent Systems for trying Fates.

A crude estimate of 175K copies for Hoshido and another 175K for Nohr still makes each version a stronger opener than every pre-Awakening game (sans the games with missing data).

...What is wrong with not wanting blatant fanservice in an SRPG that, historically, has had little to none of it? It's just sexualization for the sake of it, and it definitely leans much more in one way than the other. Are some people so perverted that they cling to sexual pandering in virtual entertainment, and don't want it to be taken away no matter what?

Fanservice is largely what sold Awakening. You know why the tumblr crowd latched onto the game so hard? It's not because they suddenly started enjoying the concept of SRPGs, it's because the game had a very expansive feature that caters specifically to their "shipping" obsession. Are you seriously confused as to why people don't like you for crying to have completely optional content removed from a game that already has it? The only thing "forced" on you is Camilla in cutscenes. Ideally the game would be rated "Mature" and if you cannot handle seeing some fairly mild sexual themes in a game of that rating, then you probably aren't of age (be it physically or mentally) to be playing it in the first place. Shaming someone over liking sexually suggestive content is pretty low, I'd be fighting just the same if you were somehow offended by the existence of Pheonix Mode, another entirely optional feature that you don't have to experience if you don't want to. Lobbying to have largely optional content removed simply because you don't enjoy it is extremely petty, fans will always speak out against those pushing for this type of thing.

The extreme ease and casual mode is why Awakening sold well. Here's the cold, hard reality: Everyone that posts on a forum is better than the average person playing a strategy game. People struggled on Normal/casual. It sold well because it was the easiest and most user-friendly, and it was marketed heavily unlike every other FE game.

Blaming fanservice is just being naive. You don't reach nearly 2 million sales on just fanservice these days.

I'm kinda disappointed in the sales, was expecting at least 400k since there more 3DS owners in Japan now since Awakening.

300k is one of the highest in Japan, period. The only games that sold more than that in the past couple of years is Pokemon and Smash Brothers. The average top-selling game hits maybe 100k at best.

The extreme ease and casual mode is why Awakening sold well. Here's the cold, hard reality: Everyone that posts on a forum is better than the average person playing a strategy game. People struggled on Normal/casual. It sold well because it was the easiest and most user-friendly, and it was marketed heavily unlike every other FE game.

Blaming fanservice is just being naive. You don't reach nearly 2 million sales on just fanservice these days.

Easy mode has existed in plenty of localized titles and it has always been very true to its name. It may as well have been the same thing. I'm sure the great marketing had plenty to do with it, but the way so many talk about the characters and "shipping" it's pretty obvious a fair chunk of them were lured in by formal "marriage" being tacked onto the support system. That in itself was "fanservice".

I'm also really not blaming anything. I've been with the series for over a decade now and have no problem with the way things have gone. The only new thing I can't stand is the now /very/ Westernized fanbase calling for things they don't like to be removed or drastically changed, absolutely zero grasp of how little the Japanese industry cares. Bitter veterans proclaiming the series dead are nothing compared to people who actively try to strip the game of content it already features, especially when that content is optional. The party food analogy mentioned earlier was perfect. Just please stick to tearing apart Western devs for not walking on eggshells, they seem pretty willing in their attempts to satisfy the insatiable. I've already given up on that side of the industry.

300k is one of the highest in Japan, period. The only games that sold more than that in the past couple of years is Pokemon and Smash Brothers. The average top-selling game hits maybe 100k at best.

What about MH4 and MH4U? (1,715,060 and 1,446,289 in first week)

Also, Youkai Watch 2 (1,316,707)

....Yeah, it is off topic, sorry.

300k in first week is quite good for FE.

That sounds like this includes the international sales.

Easy mode has existed in plenty of localized titles and it has always been very true to its name. It may as well have been the same thing. I'm sure the great marketing had plenty to do with it, but the way so many talk about the characters and "shipping" it's pretty obvious a fair chunk of them were lured in by formal "marriage" being tacked onto the support system. That in itself was "fanservice".

There's a very clear difference between "easy" and "casual mode." Awakening was the first game outside of Japan that got that, and you heavily overstimate the tumbler fanbase to convert into sales. They're a loud minority, just like this forum. We're not making the snakes on the plane with all this shouting.

Monster Hunter is the equivalent of Madden or Fifa in basically being an institution. Youkai Watch is the next Pokemon in huge popularity. Those are the 1% exceptions in an otherwise dying market of gaming in Japan that's not mobile.

Wow. Looks like I really have to look up some numbers about how many people with a 3DS there are in Japan.

Nintendo 3DS Tot. sales: 9,843,136

Nintendo 3DS Tot. sales: 6,908,523

New Nintendo Tot. sales: 581,767

New Nintendo 3DS XL Tot. sales: 1,432,802

Shamelessly stolen from Siliconera and Media Create Sales

Edited by Random Person

I think the series need another "Awakening" type of burst in popularity if the series truly want to go hand to hand with some of the Nintendo's top franchise. Nintendo please make next FE game to sold 5 millions or the series will be cancel, the threat as before Awakening to IS.

I think the series need another "Awakening" type of burst in popularity if the series truly want to go hand to hand with some of the Nintendo's top franchise. Nintendo please make next FE game to sold 5 millions or the series will be cancel, the threat as before Awakening to IS.

I hope you aren't serious.

Or do you want FE to die?

SRPG as genre isn't as popular as other games in Nintendo franchises.

I hope that Nintendo will never go Square Enix/Capcom/Sega route. *6 millions copies sold in first week. This game is failure!*

I hope you aren't serious.

Or do you want FE to die?

SRPG as genre isn't as popular as other games in Nintendo franchises.

I hope that Nintendo will never go Square Enix/Capcom/Sega route. *6 millions copies sold in first week. This game is failure!*

Pretty sure he was joking about Awakening being such a success in spite/because of being developed under a similar criteria.