Unit Optimization Thread

Morgan

I know I'm not the best at this stuff, but I would still very much appreciate some insight on this: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55355&p=3883650

I can't figure out how to make Midoriko considerably good for PvP and also not knowing what class to pick for benefiting Kaze.. I already know what to do with her for gameplay though (gotta rack up some cash).

Edited by Elif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm not the best at this stuff, but I would still very much appreciate some insight on this: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55355&p=3883650

I can't figure out how to make Midoriko considerably good for PvP and also not knowing what class to pick for benefiting Kaze.. I already know what to do with her for gameplay though (gotta rack up some cash).

Midoriko married to Shinonome could run a set of Swallow Strike(Logbook or from mother), Breaking Sky, Extravagance, a faire, and maybe Line of Death to help her offensive ability or Lethality to troll. (Flamboyant + Hoshido + Lethality could work nicely) Extravagance gives 10 damage if she uses a Gold Coin, and Line of Death is another flat 10 damage, though it's not so good defensively. Extravagance might cancel LoD's negative effects out though, since it has the unit take 10 less damage.

Personally, I think she works best as a high speed support unit giving debuffs from shurikens. Speed is her biggest asset, so instead of trying to patch up her weaknesses, I would play on her strengths and give her a role that suits her abilities. She'll either cut the enemies' stats to size, or she'll have really good offense regardless thanks to her doubling ability. 42 speed as an Elite Ninja (if she is mothered by Azura or Setsuna. It'll be higher if she's mothered by +Spe Avatar) can double lots of things, and avoid getting doubled from other high speed builds. 42 as a benchmark protects her from 46 speed and below, which is mostly just reached by certain Kinus and Kannas. Giving her a Quick Draw Katana for enemy phase brings it up to 47, which means that practically nothing is going to double her. Not even Azura/Setsuna!Kinu with Swallow Strike. The only thing that I think is able to do so would be a +Spe Azura/Setsuna!Kinu!Kanna as Nine-Tailed Fox with Beaststone+ and Swallow Strike.

Shinonome gives her Defense and Speed Seals, Kaze can opt to pass Strength Seal, and an A+ with Ophelia can also give Magic Seal. She could run a set with multiple seals to make her an even stronger debuffer.

Edited by HeoandReo

I'm planning in doing RyomaxFemui but I'm not sure if I should go with fighter or with rod knight as a secondary class for. Wich would be better in terms of stats and abilities?

Also I'm thinking about having her asset being resistance and her flaw being skill.

Edited by Yari

I have a weird idea for a non-Tsubaki x Hinoka pairing for Hinoka….

Asama….

You see, Asthma has a +2 strength mod and Hinoka has a +1 strength mod, so that would be +4 strength…. also, Asama has a high strength growth, Hinoka's is almost as high, and Mitama has a surprisingly high strength growth for a priest….

So you could turn Mitama into a Falcon Warrior with a good strength mod and a good strength growth… she'd have a pretty bad magic modifier (-3-1+1 = -3), but she'd carry a +4 strength mod (relevant when maxed out)… now she just needs to marry someone with the Lance Fighter class or have Hinoka pass down Lancefaire to her or something like that…

She'd retain her staff rank to as a Falcon Warrior…

I can see this work out pretty nicely. Hinoka could pass down Breaking Sky or Lancefaire.

It'll be until it releases in English, unfortunately. Getting them day one when they come out but still.

And damn I wont lie, Hinoka!Hisame is really tempting. Because both of those sound interesting and I'm into useful, but semi-weird pairings.

And that he looks really good with red hair too imo.

Sophie is tempting though too. Because I don't have a parent for her.

Oh. I tought you already had the game. My bad.

Hinoka!Sophie could work as a fast tank in Hoshido if you keep her as a Great Knight. Pass down Breaking Sky, wich coupled with Luna, Mirror Strike, Diamond Strike and Swallow Strike can make her really reliable on both the offence and the defence.

Baisically what astrophys said. It'd probably be her best shot, unless you want her to really be a money maker why can't she have Anna as a mother though

Midoriko married to Shinonome could run a set of Swallow Strike(Logbook or from mother), Breaking Sky, Extravagance, a faire, and maybe Line of Death to help her offensive ability or Lethality to troll. (Flamboyant + Hoshido + Lethality could work nicely) Extravagance gives 10 damage if she uses a Gold Coin, and Line of Death is another flat 10 damage, though it's not so good defensively. Extravagance might cancel LoD's negative effects out though, since it has the unit take 10 less damage.

Personally, I think she works best as a high speed support unit giving debuffs from shurikens. Speed is her biggest asset, so instead of trying to patch up her weaknesses, I would play on her strengths and give her a role that suits her abilities. She'll either cut the enemies' stats to size, or she'll have really good offense regardless thanks to her doubling ability. 42 speed as an Elite Ninja (if she is mothered by Azura or Setsuna. It'll be higher if she's mothered by +Spe Avatar) can double lots of things, and avoid getting doubled from other high speed builds. 42 as a benchmark protects her from 46 speed and below, which is mostly just reached by certain Kinus and Kannas. Giving her a Quick Draw Katana for enemy phase brings it up to 47, which means that practically nothing is going to double her. Not even Azura/Setsuna!Kinu with Swallow Strike. The only thing that I think is able to do so would be a +Spe Azura/Setsuna!Kinu!Kanna as Nine-Tailed Fox with Beaststone+ and Swallow Strike.

Shinonome gives her Defense and Speed Seals, Kaze can opt to pass Strength Seal, and an A+ with Ophelia can also give Magic Seal. She could run a set with multiple seals to make her an even stronger debuffer.

Thank you sooo much! This was very helpful!

So according to this, are you saying I should choose the +Mag/-Lck? And also what secondary class would be recommended? I'm so sorry for all these questions ahh.

@Soen - thank you so much!!!

Edited by Elif

so I was wondering what works good for a magical soleil since so far I know her only magical moms are orochi,elise,nyx,and felicia. Orochi and felicia stand out to me especially orochi as she is a source of tome faire and felicia and elise since maid skills are great for healing

although im not to bright on using orochi as a mother for her since her only bad mod is really abysmal (-3 speed) so yeah any good suggestions?

Edited by ShotaLordNoctis

I'm planning in doing RyomaxFemui but I'm not sure if I should go with fighter or with rod knight as a secondary class for. Wich would be better in terms of stats and abilities?

Also I'm thinking about having her asset being resistance and her flaw being skill.

Fighter all the way. Ryoma has no reason to be a Rod Knight. The asset/flaw is ok, if what you want is a tanky Kamui.

Thank you sooo much! This was very helpful!

So according to this, are you saying I should choose the +Mag/-Lck? And also what secondary class would be recommended? I'm so sorry for all these questions ahh.

@Soen - thank you so much!!!

If you want to go +MAG, then -STR is the best option. -LUK has become really harsh from Awakening. As a secondary class I'd suggest Peg Warrior, mainly for Swallow Strike.

So I take it no one is yet aware which 3ed route only pairings are worth considering or not?

The 3ed route only pairings are as follows

• Tsubaki x Nyx
  • Tsubaki x Luna
  • Saizou x Belka
  • Saizou x Charlotte
  • Asama x Elfie
  • Asama x Belka
  • Tsukuyomi x Elfie
  • Tsukuyomi x Nyx
  • Hinata x Luna
  • Hinata x Pieri
  • Takumi x Elise
  • Takumi x Camila
  • Nishiki x Pieri
  • Nishiki Charlotte
  • Ryoma x Elise
  • Ryoma x Camila
  • Arthur x Setsuna
  • Arthur x Kagerou
  • Odin x Orochi
  • Odin x Kagerou
  • Lazward x Orochi
  • Lazward x Hana
  • Benoit x Rinka
  • Benoit x Oboro
  • Leon x Sakura
  • Leon x Hinoka
  • Xander x Sakura
  • Xander x Hinoka
  • Flannel x Rinka
  • Flannel x Hana

In the third route I intend to try and do as many of these as are viable, but I am sorta bad at figuring these out. Which ones do you guys think are worth considering, and which characters are better off left to be paired with people from their own factions.

I plan on doing the same kind of thing on my playthrough. I haven't looked especially in-depth, but here are a few of the pairs that stood out to me:

Lazward x Hana: Great physical stats (R.I.P. Defense, though), and Samurai's a really nice supplement for Merc and Ninja. Lazward's other option is Orochi, which... eh? Maybe a Basara based on the hybrid stats, but lack of Lancefaire hurts (note that she can't even S rank Shinonome to get it)

Asama x Effie: Crazy high strength, nice speed, and the only negative stat is Magic. There's not a lot of inherent synergy between Priestess, Merchant, and Knight, but luckily Mitama can A+ with Soleil for Merc and (Female) Kanna for... well, whatever you want.

Benoit x Oboro: Very well rounded except for that crazy high Defense, and pretty much any kid will appreciate Lancer. I also much prefer Oboro with Benoit over Zero. I'm actually not a big fan of either of Zero's options; I'm thinking that I might end up copping out on the route-exclusive pair thing and marrying him to Felicia or something...

Odin x Orochi: Mostly for a Sorcerer with Tomefaire, but Orochi's nice Skill does help with Ophelia's inherent crittiness. This pair is actually somewhat limited class-wise, since Orochi's 3rd route A+ option gives her Dark Mage, and Odin's gives him nothing because he already has Samurai (That is how Buddy Seals work, right? I'm still not 100% sure on everything). That said, Odin's other 3rd-route option is Kagerou, which isn't necessarily bad but I think Kagerou's high strength is best utilized elsewhere.

If you want to go +MAG, then -STR is the best option. -LUK has become really harsh from Awakening. As a secondary class I'd suggest Peg Warrior, mainly for Swallow Strike.

Thank you so much, again! I mainly wanted the +Mag because it also gives that +2 speed haha. I suppose Kaze could benefit from Peg Warrior too then in terms of getting that skill.

Edited by Elif

Oh. I tought you already had the game. My bad.

Hinoka!Sophie could work as a fast tank in Hoshido if you keep her as a Great Knight. Pass down Breaking Sky, wich coupled with Luna, Mirror Strike, Diamond Strike and Swallow Strike can make her really reliable on both the offence and the defence.

Nope. It's just I like planning things like this ahead of time to give me ideas.

Also what's the deal with Proximity Shot? Is it an enemy only skill?

I plan on doing the same kind of thing on my playthrough. I haven't looked especially in-depth, but here are a few of the pairs that stood out to me:

Lazward x Hana: Great physical stats (R.I.P. Defense, though), and Samurai's a really nice supplement for Merc and Ninja. Lazward's other option is Orochi, which... eh? Maybe a Basara based on the hybrid stats, but lack of Lancefaire hurts (note that she can't even S rank Shinonome to get it)

Asama x Effie: Crazy high strength, nice speed, and the only negative stat is Magic. There's not a lot of inherent synergy between Priestess, Merchant, and Knight, but luckily Mitama can A+ with Soleil for Merc and (Female) Kanna for... well, whatever you want.

Benoit x Oboro: Very well rounded except for that crazy high Defense, and pretty much any kid will appreciate Lancer. I also much prefer Oboro with Benoit over Zero. I'm actually not a big fan of either of Zero's options; I'm thinking that I might end up copping out on the route-exclusive pair thing and marrying him to Felicia or something...

Odin x Orochi: Mostly for a Sorcerer with Tomefaire, but Orochi's nice Skill does help with Ophelia's inherent crittiness. This pair is actually somewhat limited class-wise, since Orochi's 3rd route A+ option gives her Dark Mage, and Odin's gives him nothing because he already has Samurai (That is how Buddy Seals work, right? I'm still not 100% sure on everything). That said, Odin's other 3rd-route option is Kagerou, which isn't necessarily bad but I think Kagerou's high strength is best utilized elsewhere.

Thanks for the input :D

If you are going to cop out of the 3ed route only thing for Zero, pair him with Nyx. Due to their complete class overlap, Eponne gets Spellcaster of all things, which gives her a ton of stuff to work with.

The only thing I've figured out so far is that it looks like Leon x Sakura is pretty good for creating a spellcaster Folleo (focus on healer maybe, as he then has access to both faction's healing trees, plus things like tomefaire), as is Xander x Hinoka (Hinoka can pass down Lancer skills, Swallow Strike is from her Pegasus warrior tree is always good, and Xander already gives everything else he needs to be viable anyways)

Edited by TheWerdna

Nope. It's just I like planning things like this ahead of time to give me ideas.

Also what's the deal with Proximity Shot? Is it an enemy only skill?

There's a Proximity Shot item, so I think it's DLC.

I *REALLY* want Proximity Shot Bow Knight Takumi.

so I was wondering what works good for a magical soleil since so far I know her only magical moms are orochi,elise,nyx,and felicia. Orochi and felicia stand out to me especially orochi as she is a source of tome faire and felicia and elise since maid skills are great for healing

although im not to bright on using orochi as a mother for her since her only bad mod is really abysmal (-3 speed) so yeah any good suggestions?

I'm theorycrafting a bit with Elise!Soleil at the moment. Elise can pass Swallow Strike from an A+ with Azura, so she is pretty valuable as a mother in that regard. Lazward's A+ options aren't great, but Luna isn't bad from Xander. Modifiers aren't terrible. (1/4/1/1/3/-3/1) -3 defense is pretty bad, but what can you do. Soleil can also pick up Tomefaire from an A+ with Mitama. Just for some ideas for builds: (I'm currently thinking A+ with Mitama and marriage to Lutz)

Offense: Girl Lover, Swallow Strike, Copycat, Luna, faire, filler

Support: Girl Lover, Servant's Joy, Battle Command, Demoiselle/Copycat, Tomefaire, Deadly Breath

Mixed: Girl Lover, Copycat, Snake Venom, Deadly Breath, Swallow Strike, faire

For good uses of Orochi, Gurei and Ophelia both stand out. Gurei has good support/magic builds depending on who he A+s with, while Ophelia gets some more critical hit skills and a higher skill mod to take advantage of it with. Orochi's stat spread means that her kid is going to be really specialized whereever she goes, and Gurei/Ophelia both have great niches with her.

---

I'm also considering that in a situation where Sakura isn't around for Foleo (Nohr route, hanging around Saizou/Tsukuyomi), Felicia would be a good alternative. Modifiers are similar, but Felicia actually has a few small wins, namely in Skill and Res at the cost of cutting his strength down even more. (-3/5/1/0/1/0/4) Sakura gives Tomefaire and Swallow Strike,(by inheritance) but Foleo can get those by himself in third route. He can A+ with Shigure and marry Shara and also pick up Breaking Sky and Sun God from the deal. He misses out on Defensive Formation since he's not free to A+ with Ignis, but that could be picked up from the Logbook.

There's hardly any competition for Shara's hand either - Lutz is the only one who stands out. Most Hoshido males can get Breaking Sky by themselves or from their mother. Shinonome/Kisaragi get it by default, Hisame can get it from Hinata A+ Nishiki, and Gurei can get it by A+ Shinonome, if they can't get it from one of their mothers or their mothers' A+ options. (every Hoshidan first gen and their grandmother has access to Breaking Sky one way or another, so it shouldn't be a difficult affair to sort it out)

Edited by HeoandReo

I'm theorycrafting a bit with Elise!Soleil at the moment. Elise can pass Swallow Strike from an A+ with Azura, so she is pretty valuable as a mother in that regard. Lazward's A+ options aren't great, but Luna isn't bad from Xander. Modifiers aren't terrible. (1/4/1/1/3/-3/1) -3 defense is pretty bad, but what can you do. Soleil can also pick up Tomefaire from an A+ with Mitama. Just for some ideas for builds: (I'm currently thinking A+ with Mitama and marriage to Lutz)

Offense: Girl Lover, Swallow Strike, Copycat, Luna, faire, filler

Support: Girl Lover, Servant's Joy, Battle Command, Demoiselle/Copycat, Tomefaire, Deadly Breath

Mixed: Girl Lover, Copycat, Snake Venom, Deadly Breath, Swallow Strike, faire

For good uses of Orochi, Gurei and Ophelia both stand out. Gurei has good support/magic builds depending on who he A+s with, while Ophelia gets some more critical hit skills and a higher skill mod to take advantage of it with. Orochi's stat spread means that her kid is going to be really specialized whereever she goes, and Gurei/Ophelia both have great niches with her.

I just remembered that Deere is a marriage option for her so I might put that to use. but thanks man but question. where does that mixed soleil get deadly breath from?

I just remembered that Deere is a marriage option for her so I might put that to use. but thanks man but question. where does that mixed soleil get deadly breath from?

That came from her marriage to Lutz in my example - she would get Wyvern from the deal. I figured that since she got Rod Knight from Elise, Lutz would be a more useful husband for her than Deere for the sake of class diversity. (And also for Snake Venom + Deadly Breath to do more damage after battles)

Edited by HeoandReo

There's a Proximity Shot item, so I think it's DLC.

I *REALLY* want Proximity Shot Bow Knight Takumi.

Hehe yes, me too. Proximity Shot Takumi in general would be murder for... just about anything.

Also just out of curiosity I looked up what Deere would get if Hinoka was his mom. And I can pass down something to him from Hinoka's lance fighter tree since I don't believe he'd get that. But the question is... Breaking Sky? Flamboyant?

Hehe yes, me too. Proximity Shot Takumi in general would be murder for... just about anything.

Also just out of curiosity I looked up what Deere would get if Hinoka was his mom. And I can pass down something to him from Hinoka's lance fighter tree since I don't believe he'd get that. But the question is... Breaking Sky? Flamboyant?

I would go for Breaking Sky, personally. Luna isn't bad, but Deere wouldn't say no to a more reliable proc.

Flamboyant may be useful if he is specifically A+ing with Gurei for Lethality abuse.

I know, right? He's shaping up to be the best archer in FE history.

Breaking Sky. Always that. A Butler Deere enjoys every single bit of extra damage he can deal.

I had the thought of utilizing Sophie as an enemy 'debuffer' on account of her personal skill being one of the few out of either generation that affects an enemy's stats.

So would her personal skill stack with, say, Defense Seal for instance, and cause a foe to lose 9 defense for one turn in total? Or is only the highest single debuff per stat applied?

And sorry if the following is a repeat question:
With regards to Buddy Seals and Marriage Seals, if the target of the A+ or S-support has the same base class as the unit initiating that support, does that unit gain access to the other's secondary class instead of its primary class, or does nothing functionally happen due to the overlap?

I've kind of thrown together a Sophie based on he supports I made just based on character personalities (I never aim for optimization on my first playthrough) and I'm suprised at how sound it is! Here's what I got.

Hinoka!Sohpie gives her 3/0/2/2/0/0/2, which seems relatively fine to me. As a Brave Hero maxed out she'd look like:

HP 60

Str 35 (Average growth above 50)

Mag 25 (Terrible growth rate; never hitting it)

Skl 37 (Very nice with a growth of 68 in two different classes)

Spd 34 (Acceptable with a 60 increase)

Luc 31 (Not great, but not bad, sitting at a 50 average)

Def 30 (Not the greatest rate unless in GK which brings it to 63 I believe)

Res 29 (Of which I'm grateful for the modest 53 she gets while in PW)

With an S with Hisame and A+ with Kanna, she'll have access to Cal. Peg. Merc. Sam. and White. So, the skills I'm looking at are:

Flamboyant/Breaking Sky

Luna/Aegis

Hoshido

Vantage

Line of Death

62% proc with Luna versus the 65% on Breaking Sky and the 47% on Aegis. Clearly option two seems more appealing, but I guess it just comes down to which is better in the campaign in terms of damage and not proc rate: Breaking Sky or Luna? Anyone know? Anyone think I should tweak this? Again, this seemed like decent optimization for children who are bred for support rather than, err, optimizing.

Edited by Xylaugheon Daily

Ha, should have figured! I suppose I can grant access to Basara and go:

Flamboyant

Breaking Sky

Aegis

Vantage

Line of Death

70% Breaking Sky and 52% Aegis is sweeter anyway.

And as a HL she'd take a -2 hit to skill, but +1 to strength and +2 to resistance as well as S level lance. Not sure if that beats out Brave Hero, though.

Also, which stance should I go for? I was thinking defensive for the stat boost and guard in case I didn't eliminate my attacker, plus it guarantees she's targeted. Ugh, decisions.

Edited by Xylaugheon Daily

I know, right? He's shaping up to be the best archer in FE history.

Breaking Sky. Always that. A Butler Deere enjoys every single bit of extra damage he can deal.

Alright so

Hinoka!Deere can get these abilities:

Breaking Sky

Swallow Strike

Diamond Strike

Mirror Strike

Aegis

Luna

Battle Command

Tome Breaker

Servant's Joy

Line of Death

Astra

Vantage

Pretty damn good...

Edited by Ebony

soo I was looking at crimson and her entire class set. Im pretty much stuck between what I would want kanna to pick up between luna and pavise but pavise seems more useful here since kanna will at least get dragon fang also looking at what sort of asset/flaw to go here. I want to say +spd/-str but not sure