Unit Optimization Thread

Morgan

Kisaragi's personal skill gives him +4 speed and +8 luck when he Waits, so that can cover him for enemy phase.

Anyway, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about doubling/not being doubled - the fastest builds can run Swallow Strike to double even clones of themselves, assuming that the amount of speed needed is still 5. Speed-focused builds can reach frankly ridiculous thresholds. (+Spe/-Def Azura!Kinu!Kanna as Nine Tailed Fox with Beaststone+ hits 50 iirc and 55 with Swallow Strike, without taking tonics, etc. into account) Obviously the high speed kids are going to have significant advantages. There's no way around that.

It's a little too soon to determine what speed would be ideal, but for now I probably would put the threshold to about 33/34 to be safe. That will protect you from enemies who have 38/39 speed, which can be reached through moderate modifiers + fast class (ex. Trueblade Camilla!Shinonome) or high modifiers + slower class (ex. Azura!Kinu Basara).

Thankfully, even with the lower speed mod, Kisaragi does have a few classes that would put him in this 'safe' zone. Even if his -2 mod is maintained, Holy Bowman gets to 35 if Positive Thinking is used, Holy Lancer gets to 34.

You see the huge problem behind the bolded part though right? Holy Bowmen (aka Snipers) have to have a devastating Player Phase to make up for the fact that they will most likely be locked to 2 range and therefore have no Enemy Phase. Waiting gives him literally no Player Phase, and can't be used synergistically with any of the initiate battle skills like the various Strikes.

Edited by Bovinian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see the huge problem behind the bolded part though right? Holy Bowmen (aka Snipers) have to have a devastating Player Phase to make up for the fact that they will most likely be locked to 2 range and therefore have no Enemy Phase. Waiting gives him literally no Player Phase.

Yeah, I mostly focused on the caps when I was taking a look at the stats. Didn't consider the classes as much, so my bad.

Trueblade could work. He'd need an A+ with Hisame to get it, (or be mothered by Hana) but the speed cap is even higher. (33 -> 37 with -2 speed) It is kind of tough to work with him though. A smart player seeing an enemy Kisaragi on the field would ignore him mostly so that he can't take advantage of his personal skill, if they can't double him outright. I do think that his skill would work better ingame, but in other settings I don't know.

You see the huge problem behind the bolded part though right? Holy Bowmen (aka Snipers) have to have a devastating Player Phase to make up for the fact that they will most likely be locked to 2 range and therefore have no Enemy Phase. Waiting gives him literally no Player Phase, and can't be used synergistically with any of the initiate battle skills like the various Strikes.

But, I thought the Proximity shot skill was buyable?

Can't you give him Proximity shot to make up for that?

Yeah, I mostly focused on the caps when I was taking a look at the stats. Didn't consider the classes as much, so my bad.

Trueblade could work. He'd need an A+ with Hisame to get it, (or be mothered by Hana) but the speed cap is even higher. (33 -> 37 with -2 speed) It is kind of tough to work with him though. A smart player seeing an enemy Kisaragi on the field would ignore him mostly so that he can't take advantage of his personal skill, if they can't double him outright. I do think that his skill would work better ingame, but in other settings I don't know.

It's a pretty good skill if he wants go to the dodgetanking route, since +4 Speed and +8 Luck translates to +10 Avoid as well as making it harder for him to be doubled/critted. All Trueblades already have that inherent +10 Avoid and have access to weapons that grant an additional +20 Avoid, so if he can get some breakers he'd be pretty hard to hit. But it's true that if people don't go for him he'll just be kinda there doing nothing.

But, I thought the Proximity shot skill was buyable?

Can't you give him Proximity shot to make up for that?

I guess...to be honest I've been ignoring that skill because if it becomes widely available there'll be almost no reason to use any class other than bow users...

Edited by Bovinian

Alright then, so far let's see we have...

I'm still saving Hinoka for someone.

Saizou x Sakura/Orochi

Subaki x Oboro

Asama x Orochi/Sakura

Nishiki x Rinkah?

Ugh, so undecided. Oh!

And of course Kamui x Takumi. <3

Alright then, so far let's see we have...

I'm still saving Hinoka for someone.

Saizou x Sakura/Orochi

Subaki x Oboro

Asama x Orochi/Sakura

Nishiki x Rinkah?

Ugh, so undecided. Oh!

And of course Kamui x Takumi. <3

Saizou x Orochi is a good choice, for reasons I've already explained. Gurei has a really high Mag growth and it would be a waste not to use him as a mage. For the Copycat Healer set, I want him to marry Matoi and A+ Deere, but with another wife and another buddy I'm sure you can turn him into an aggressive unit rather than a supportive one.

If Hinoka is already taken, than yes, Subaki x Oboro is a good pairing, since it gives Lance Fighter and lets Matoi inherit a Herb Merchant skill.

For Asama, Orochi is already taken(if you want her to go with Saizou) and Sakura is such a good mother for Foleo on the third path I really can't see her mother anyone else. If you're playing Hoshido, though, I'd still give Mitama a different mother than Sakura, not only because Mitama's mods and growths just scream that she should be a physical unit, but also because Sakura would pass her Peg Warrior, and you already have enough of those. I think a better mother for Mitama would be Setsuna. Mitama would make a really good Holy Bowman or a War Priestess. Plus, she has really good mods and growths, having a +3/36,7% in Str and +5/51,7%(!!!) in Spd.

I think Kinu should be a fast attacker, and Hana would be the best option for this. She gives good Str and Speed to Kinu, plus abilities like Astra and Vantage are always welcome. Hana can also pass Miracle, which would help Kinu to take another hit and retaliate.

You're doing Kamui x Takumi? Have you already decided what secondary class you should give Kamui? I was wondering if there's any Nohr class that might help Takumi a lot...

Edited by Soen

If I treat the following as fixed pairings, what do you think would be the best pairings for the remaining Hoshidans on the Hoshido route? On the Invisible Route:

Tsubaki x Hinoka ---> Hinoka!Matoi, +1 Str, +0 Mag, +2 Skl, +0 Spd, +0 Lck, +3 Def, +2 Res; Classes: Pegasus Warrior/Samurai/Lancer

(+Mag/-Def)Kamui (Dark Mage secondary) x Hinoka!Matoi ---> Hinoka!Matoi!Kanna, +1 Str, +4 Mag, +2 Skl, +2 Spd, -1 Lck, +0 Def, +3 Res ; Classes: Nohr Princess/Dark Mage/Pegasus Warrior

What should I then do with the rest of the Hoshidans/shared?

1. Jakob

2. Silas

3. Saizou

4. Asama

5. Tsukuyomi

6. Hinata

7. Takumi

8. Nishiki

9. Ryouma

So a couple questions that came up yesterday and I am wondering if we have new info.

1) What class does Belka!Lutz get, considering the discovery that Nyx!Eponne gets spellcaster.

2) How do buddy/marriage seals work when both characters have the same base class? What about when their secondary class overlaps with the other's base?

3) Does villager get transferred over with buddy/marriage seals?

What is the most beneficial secondary class for Ryouma to have? Might as well pass him something he'd like on the runs where I S him with Femui.

Do you know your Femui's asset/flaw?

Ryouma can get a lot of good offensive classes through A+ supports (Bowman Takumi, Ninja Saizou, Cavalier Silas) and marriage (Lance Fighter Oboro, Oni Savage Rinka).

I'd go for something a bit more exclusive: Fighter. Berserker and Hero still seem to be strong units with great caps, and without Kamui's influence, they will be in low supply in the Hoshido route. He gets access to both as well as Axefaire and Sol, none of which he can get through anybody but Kamui.

A+ him with Saizou and run a hero with some combo of the following:

Axefaire/Swordfaire/both

Copycat Puppet

Sol/Astra or Breaking Sky (if married Oboro)

Counter and/or Ogre Strike (if married Rinka)

Swallow Strike/Line of Death/Vantage

Edited by anachronism89

What should I then do with the rest of the Hoshidans/shared?

1. Jakob

2. Silas

3. Saizou

4. Asama

5. Tsukuyomi

6. Hinata

7. Takumi

8. Nishiki

9. Ryouma

Ryoma x Kagerou creates the best unit in the game, probably, not considering Kamui, or any of Kamui's children. Kagerou!Shinonome has the following growth and mods:

HP: 43,3% Str: 53,4%/+5 Mag: 0%/0 Skl: 36,7%/+2 Spd: 43,4%/+1 Luck: 35%/+2 Def: 35%/-2 Res: 31,6%/0

He has access to Breaking Sky, Astra, Lethality, Flamboyant, Lance/Sword/Kunaifaire, Defence/Speed/Strength Seal, Copycat Puppet, Puppet Break and if you A+ Kisaragi(Siegbert is better, but you said Hoshido so I'm not considering Nohr) Prescient Victory, Raven Strike and Soar. Choose your set.

For the others:

Jakob x Rinkah

Silas x Felicia

Saizou x Orochi

Asama x Setsuna

Tsukuyomi x Sakura

Hinata x Oboro

Takumi x Mozume

Nishiki x Hana

Do you know your Femui's asset/flaw?

Ryouma can get a lot of good offensive classes through A+ supports (Bowman Takumi, Ninja Saizou, Cavalier Silas) and marriage (Lance Fighter Oboro, Oni Savage Rinka).

I'd go for something a bit more exclusive: Fighter. Berserker and Hero still seem to be strong units with great caps, and without Kamui's influence, they will be in low supply in the Hoshido route. He gets access to both as well as Axefaire and Sol, none of which he can get through anybody but Kamui.

A+ him with Saizou and run a hero with some combo of the following:

Axefaire/Swordfaire/both

Copycat Puppet

Sol/Astra or Breaking Sky (if married Oboro)

Counter and/or Ogre Strike (if married Rinka)

Swallow Strike/Line of Death/Vantage

I tend to go for +Str focused builds. Maybe +Str -Mag. I don't intend to run magic much. +Str -Res was my go-to build in awakening, but with the HP nerf I think I'd need that bit of magical durability. While -Mag still hits it, it doesn't hit it as hard.

I'll probably A+ Saizou on Hoshido, yeah. However, I want to A+ him to Marx on Invis for, uh, reasons. What would be something he'd like from Cavalier?

Edited by Thor Odinson

So, I am currently trying to figure out my pairs for the 3ed route, and I am wondering. Which of the route 3 only pairings are particularly good? I want to know which are worth considering, and which characters are best still paired within their own faction.

I am already planning to at least have 2-3 pairs amongst the two royal families, thus initiating Operation: "Ship my way to lasting peace".

Pairings I am already probably going to go with are...

• Kamui x Azura
  • Zero x Nyx (despite how appealing it would be to have Nyx marry Tsukuyomi and thus allow Not!Tharja to become her final form, Nyx!Eponne is just too close to being an ideal option to pass up)
  • Odin x Luna (look, I just ship Owain x Severa too hard not to do this one)
  • Leon x Sakura (Hey, actually good magic stat and will lead to a good healer/support Foleo)
  • Ryoma x Camila (Looks pretty solid stat wise)
  • Xander x Hinoka (again, looks pretty solid, Hinoka can pass down lance fighter skills and such)

Beyond that I am not sure what other 3ed route pairings are worth considering. Thoughts?

Edited by TheWerdna

For the others:

Jakob x Rinkah

Silas x Felicia

Saizou x Orochi

Asama x Setsuna

Tsukuyomi x Sakura

Hinata x Oboro

Takumi x Mozume

Nishiki x Hana

and presumably Kaze x Aqua?

These pairings overlap significantly with my intended. I was wondering if you could explain your choices a bit further, especially as contrasted to my pairing below. At first glance, it looks like you focused on creating a few outstanding pairings while I went for a whole bunch of just above average ones.

Jakob x Orochi

Silas x Hana

Saizou x Sakura

Asama x Setsuna*

Tsukuyomi x Felicia

Hinata x Aqua

Takumi x Mozume*

Nishiki x Rinka

Kaze x Oboro

Ryoma x Kagerou*

Tsubaki x Hinoka*

*These pairings are identical

In particular, I'm wondering the reasoning behind Jacob x Rinka, Silas x Felicia, and Kaze x Aqua. But I'm also wondering where my pairings particularly suck.

Saizou x Orochi is a good choice, for reasons I've already explained. Gurei has a really high Mag growth and it would be a waste not to use him as a mage. For the Copycat Healer set, I want him to marry Matoi and A+ Deere, but with another wife and another buddy I'm sure you can turn him into an aggressive unit rather than a supportive one.

If Hinoka is already taken, than yes, Subaki x Oboro is a good pairing, since it gives Lance Fighter and lets Matoi inherit a Herb Merchant skill.

For Asama, Orochi is already taken(if you want her to go with Saizou) and Sakura is such a good mother for Foleo on the third path I really can't see her mother anyone else. If you're playing Hoshido, though, I'd still give Mitama a different mother than Sakura, not only because Mitama's mods and growths just scream that she should be a physical unit, but also because Sakura would pass her Peg Warrior, and you already have enough of those. I think a better mother for Mitama would be Setsuna. Mitama would make a really good Holy Bowman or a War Priestess. Plus, she has really good mods and growths, having a +3/36,7% in Str and +5/51,7%(!!!) in Spd.

I think Kinu should be a fast attacker, and Hana would be the best option for this. She gives good Str and Speed to Kinu, plus abilities like Astra and Vantage are always welcome. Hana can also pass Miracle, which would help Kinu to take another hit and retaliate.

You're doing Kamui x Takumi? Have you already decided what secondary class you should give Kamui? I was wondering if there's any Nohr class that might help Takumi a lot...

Wow, you're helping me so much already. ; - ;

Won't lie, for Kamui I was thinking Mercenary (because it + hero are my favorite classes) or Fighter. And Hoshido. Setsuna Mitama sounds promising.

I kind of wanted to pair Oboro x Subaki just because of shipping reasons, though Hinoka was in second place to pair with Subaki.

and presumably Kaze x Aqua?

These pairings overlap significantly with my intended. I was wondering if you could explain your choices a bit further, especially as contrasted to my pairing below. At first glance, it looks like you focused on creating a few outstanding pairings while I went for a whole bunch of just above average ones.

Jakob x Orochi

Silas x Hana

Saizou x Sakura

Asama x Setsuna*

Tsukuyomi x Felicia

Hinata x Aqua

Takumi x Mozume*

Nishiki x Rinka

Kaze x Oboro

Ryoma x Kagerou*

Tsubaki x Hinoka*

*These pairings are identical

In particular, I'm wondering the reasoning behind Jacob x Rinka, Silas x Felicia, and Kaze x Aqua. But I'm also wondering where my pairings particularly suck.

Heh, you're right about trying to make some units good and leave out others. I really think you can only make a lot of children really good only on the third path, but even then some of the children just aren't that good. It was a little hard to choose some of those pairings, expecially Sakura. Since Sakura!Foleo is so good, I really can't think of who to marry her to in Hoshido, also because she's a magical mother, and magic kids are really few in number.

I left out Kaze becuase astrophys did not ask about him, and I completely forgot about Aqua.

I really can't see Orochi with Jakob well. Both him and Deere are the only units who have access to Rod Knight who I wouldn't have as a Strategist but rather as a Butler(mainly because Butlers' heal animations are so cool). I chose Rinkah because she can give Deere good fightinh skills like Ogre Strike and because her mods are so goddamn awful I didn't know who to pair her with without screwing the child.

I can see where you're going with Silas x Hana. Proc skills galore lol. I chose Felicia because I only had Sakura and Felicia left and Sakura x Silas is shit.

I can see Saizou x Sakura work, honestly. I'd still pick Orochi for higher Mag and Basara, but Sakura is still solid as a mother for Gurei.

I actually thought of giving Tsukuyomi Felicia, but if I did that I would have remained with Silas x Sakura. Strategist!Syalla sounds really cool.

It's true that Aqua can fix Hisame's terrible terrible speed and still give her good Str, but I still see Hisame as a tank, and Aqua being made of wet paper doesn't help that. But since tanks outside of Shura and Blacksmith in Hoshido don't exist, I chose Oboro to give Hisame good stats and skills, like Breaking Sky and the Seals.

I chose Hana for Nishiki because of skills like Astra, Line of Death and Miracle. I feel like Kinu should be a glass cannon and with Hana as a mother she does the job really well.

I didn't talk about Kaze at all. but I think that Rinkah could make a good mother for Midoriko. Mainly because of Lucky Charm, I feel that Midoriko's role is not fighting, but help you get money. With Easy Life and Smithy Skill, she can help to accumulate money on Hoshido. Besides that, I feel she's made for debuffing the enemy and suites best as a Puppeteer.

Wow, you're helping me so much already. ; - ;

Won't lie, for Kamui I was thinking Mercenary (because it + hero are my favorite classes) or Fighter. And Hoshido. Setsuna Mitama sounds promising.

I kind of wanted to pair Oboro x Subaki just because of shipping reasons, though Hinoka was in second place to pair with Subaki.

Glad to be of help!

I feel that a Bow Knight Takumi would be really OP. Kunaibreaker would also help him to finish off all of those annoying Kunai users.

Why do you both agree on Takumi x Mozume? Won't Mozume be unable to get a new class that way (and thus not efficiently using her marriage seal options), as her secondary Bowman is the same as Takumi's primary?

No, if I'm not wrong she would get Lance Fighter from Takumi. Didn't Subaki get Lance Fighter if he married Hinoka?

Edited by Soen

Why do you both agree on Takumi x Mozume? Won't Mozume be unable to get a new class that way (and thus not efficiently using her marriage seal options), as her secondary Bowman is the same as Takumi's primary?

Oof. I know why I did: I mistakenly copied down Herb Merchant as Mozu's secondary.

A quick fix would be swapping Mozume and Rinka. Mozume get Basara skills from Nish's Spellcaster. Kinu doesn't have that horrid Rinka!Kinu skill. Rinka!Kisaragi's mods aren't bad. Neither Takumi or Kisaragi mind Oni Savage. I'll prod around some more, but for now that would make:

Jakob x Orochi

Silas x Hana

Saizou x Sakura

Asama x Setsuna

Tsukuyomi x Felicia

Hinata x Aqua

Takumi x Rinka

Nishiki x Mozume

Kaze x Oboro

Ryoma x Kagerou

Tsubaki x Hinoka

Very open to feedback. As I see it, Hoshido has three magic moms (Sakura, Orochi, Felicia), two magic dads (Tsukuyomi, Saizou), and two *mebbe but meh* magic dads (Asama, Joker). Joker has a slightly less-bad magic mod, so I'm using him magically and compensating with Orochi's super magic mom powers. As mentioned before, Sakura!Gurei and Orochi!Gurei are entirely comparable, and I think Sakura x Saizou actually benefits the parents more that Orochi x Saizou and Sakura x Tsukuyomi.

Plus, Sakura x Saizou gives me the nostalgia for Jaffar x Nino.

EDIT:

Thanks for the feedback, Soen! I'll look through more thoroughly in a bit.

Edited by anachronism89

I thought that the rules for marriage seals:

1. If different initial base classes, receive each other's initial base class.

2. If the same initial base classes, receive each other's secondary

3. In certain untransferable class cases, like Fox Spirit, it gives their spouse their secondary anyways

Although I suppose I don't know exactly how all the exceptions work…

My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) would be that Mozume would see Takumi's Bowman base class as different that her base class (Villager) and try to inherit it. But she already has it, so its useless.

If she started as a Bowman, not as a Villager, she would be surely able to inherit Takumi's Lancer… a similar example has indeed been confirmed by people reporting this data form their own gameplay experience to this board when I asked them these questions….. that example was Tsubaki and Hinoka, who have matching Pegasus classes and give each other Samurai and Lance Fighter, effectively making their class set become identical (although their mods and growths still differ, and Hinoka also has Dragon's Vein).

Glad to be of help!

I feel that a Bow Knight Takumi would be really OP. Kunaibreaker would also help him to finish off all of those annoying Kunai users.

So thanks to you I got

Saizou x Orochi

Subaki x Oboro/Hinoka

Asama x Setsuna

Nishiki x Hana

Kaze x Rinkah

Ryoma x Kagerou

Takumi x Avatar

Just in case I don't pair Hinoka up with Subaki, any other people she's good at being a parent to?

So thanks to you I got

Saizou x Orochi

Subaki x Oboro/Hinoka

Asama x Setsuna

Nishiki x Hana

Kaze x Rinkah

Ryoma x Kagerou

Takumi x Avatar

Just in case I don't pair Hinoka up with Subaki, any other people she's good at being a parent to?

Mitama and Sophie/Deere are good options for Hinoka to mother. She helps their offensive stats since those kids lean to physical and gives them Breaking Sky + Swallow Strike.

So I take it no one is yet aware which 3ed route only pairings are worth considering or not?

The 3ed route only pairings are as follows

• Tsubaki x Nyx
  • Tsubaki x Luna
  • Saizou x Belka
  • Saizou x Charlotte
  • Asama x Elfie
  • Asama x Belka
  • Tsukuyomi x Elfie
  • Tsukuyomi x Nyx
  • Hinata x Luna
  • Hinata x Pieri
  • Takumi x Elise
  • Takumi x Camila
  • Nishiki x Pieri
  • Nishiki Charlotte
  • Ryoma x Elise
  • Ryoma x Camila
  • Arthur x Setsuna
  • Arthur x Kagerou
  • Odin x Orochi
  • Odin x Kagerou
  • Lazward x Orochi
  • Lazward x Hana
  • Benoit x Rinka
  • Benoit x Oboro
  • Leon x Sakura
  • Leon x Hinoka
  • Xander x Sakura
  • Xander x Hinoka
  • Flannel x Rinka
  • Flannel x Hana

In the third route I intend to try and do as many of these as are viable, but I am sorta bad at figuring these out. Which ones do you guys think are worth considering, and which characters are better off left to be paired with people from their own factions.

Edited by TheWerdna

I thought that the rules for marriage seals:

1. If different initial base classes, receive each other's initial base class.

2. If the same initial base classes, receive each other's secondary

3. In certain untransferable class cases, like Fox Spirit, it gives their spouse their secondary anyways

Although I suppose I don't know exactly how all the exceptions work…

My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) would be that Mozume would see Takumi's Bowman base class as different that her base class (Villager) and try to inherit it. But she already has it, so its useless.

If she started as a Bowman, not as a Villager, she would be surely able to inherit Takumi's Lancer… a similar example has indeed been confirmed by people reporting this data form their own gameplay experience to this board when I asked them these questions….. that example was Tsubaki and Hinoka, who have matching Pegasus classes and give each other Samurai and Lance Fighter, effectively making their class set become identical (although their mods and growths still differ, and Hinoka also has Dragon's Vein).

Oh, then I was wrong. Thank you.

But Mozume!Kisaragi seems so damn good

When you try those sets, could you please tell me how good they actually are? That way I can prepare to when I get the game. I'm expecially interested in Kisaragi as a Dark Prince.

I think Hinoka can turn Hisame into a fairly good Trueblade with Swallow Strike, if you want to make him that. Or you could make him an even better tank with Mirror Strike.

Edited by Soen

I have a weird idea for a non-Tsubaki x Hinoka pairing for Hinoka….

Asama….

You see, Asthma has a +2 strength mod and Hinoka has a +1 strength mod, so that would be +4 strength…. also, Asama has a high strength growth, Hinoka's is almost as high, and Mitama has a surprisingly high strength growth for a priest….

So you could turn Mitama into a Falcon Warrior with a good strength mod and a good strength growth… she'd have a pretty bad magic modifier (-3-1+1 = -3), but she'd carry a +4 strength mod (relevant when maxed out)… now she just needs to marry someone with the Lance Fighter class or have Hinoka pass down Lancefaire to her or something like that…

She'd retain her staff rank to as a Falcon Warrior…

When you try those sets, could you please tell me how good they actually are? That way I can prepare to when I get the game. I'm expecially interested in Kisaragi as a Dark Prince.

I think Hinoka can turn Hisame into a fairly good Trueblade with Swallow Strike, if you want to make him that. Or you could make him an even better tank with Mirror Strike.

It'll be until it releases in English, unfortunately. Getting them day one when they come out but still.

And damn I wont lie, Hinoka!Hisame is really tempting. Because both of those sound interesting and I'm into useful, but semi-weird pairings.

And that he looks really good with red hair too imo.

Sophie is tempting though too. Because I don't have a parent for her.