Would you have been happier if all three routes were one game? (spoilers)

Pepper

If IS and Nintendo had all three paths as one game with you having to play both routes to unlock the golden path cause lets be honest the third route is one, but the point is would this been a much better solution to how Fates currently is being sold?

Cause people I know are kinda like if their selling the golden path then it makes them feel like beating the other two routes is kinda point less cause it feels like the enjoyment of earning you happy ending like other games is nullified.

So how do you guys and gals feel on this?

Edited by eclipse

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. . .yeah. Keep it all on one cartridge, so I don't have to use up precious memory card space!

. . .and since not everyone knows the ending (LIKE ME), I'm going to put a small spoiler warning in your topic title.

EDIT: Anyone attempting to spoil me because of what I just said will be dealt with accordingly. :P:

Edited by eclipse

Well. . .yeah. Keep it all on one cartridge, so I don't have to use up precious memory card space!

. . .and since not everyone knows the ending (LIKE ME), I'm going to put a small spoiler warning in your topic title.

EDIT: Anyone attempting to spoil me because of what I just said will be dealt with accordingly. :P:

Not having 32gb SD card.

My question is if it wasn't all in one cartridge to begin with, how the hell did the third path get leaked already?

Can anyone who got the game digitally confirm whether or not there was some sort of download process when you picked the choice? I'm genuinly curious as to how this works.

The only beef I have is that I just wish that you had to unlock the third route by finishing the other two routes first. That just seems to fit better with me for some reason.

That's the main beef most people are having right now.

I would've been fine with Fates basically just being the third path where you don't pick a side and the story happens from there. But the question is, would Fates being just one game and one storyline have improved on the quality of the story that we would've gotten as a result? Would resources spent on making and programming two stories and two games have been well-spent making everything else better? That is the big question for me.

Well, if it saves us money then I don't think anyone would object to that.

But 3 games for the price of two isn't so bad

Agreed with this one.

Edit: Ok, who the hell put a spam warning on this message? All I did was agree with the comment. My gosh.

Edited by Sentinel07

My question is if it wasn't all in one cartridge to begin with, how the hell did the third path get leaked already?

Hacking… from what I've heard from secondhand (actually, much further removed than just secondhand) reports, it got literally stolen off Nintendo's servers.

Hacking… from what I've heard from secondhand (actually, much further removed than just secondhand) reports, it got literally stolen off Nintendo's servers.

Some anon from /feg/ made a fool of Nintendo and stole the third path and DLC too by hacking the eShop.

Yes, I would be happy to spend less money.

Though, if I were developing a game, and wanted to make extra money while pleasing the fans at the same time, I would've only made the 3rd path DLC.

Here's my 3 major problems with the concept of paths and how Intellegent Systems messed things up in my opinion:

1) The game is advertised as a game about choice, so why is an entire half of a game locked behind a paywall?

2) To make matters worse, there's also the 3rd route "DLC" that should be in the game in the first place.

The reason these 2 are problems brings me to number 3:

3) Not only was a double pack planned BEFORE the release of the game, making the concept of it being 2 games locked behind a paywall worthless because we know for a fact that there's to be another version of the game with both Hoshido and Nohr already unlocked, but the third path was announced before the release of the game, meaning Intellegent Systems knew it was going to be there from the getgo. I seriously hate DLC practices like this, and to me, only shows that the company is trying to make a cheap buck off of something that should already be in the game in the first place.

An example of great DLC practices are with Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4, where all this DLC was planned after the game's release, because the DLC was an afterthought, and not important to the game's development.

You simply do not lock the full experience via a paywall. You don't require the Roy, Ryu, and Lucas DLC for the whole experience, you don't require that x 1.50 of new content that the Mario Kart 8 DLC gives you to have the full experience. DLC should enhance the experience, not be an integrel part of it.

To me, the alternate route you buy and the third route are not DLC, but rather locked content that you have to buy just for the sake of making the game a bit more expensive.

Edited by Nexas

Here's my 3 major problems with the concept of paths and how Intellegent Systems messed things up in my opinion:

1) The game is advertised as a game about choice, so why is an entire half of a game locked behind a paywall?

2) To make matters worse, there's also the 3rd route "DLC" that should be in the game in the first place.

3) Not only was a double pack planned BEFORE the release of the game, making the concept of it being 2 games locked behind a paywall worthless because we know for a fact that there's to be another version of the game with both Hoshido and Nohr already unlocked, but the third path was announced before the release of the game, meaning Intellegent Systems knew it was going to be there from the getgo. I seriously hate DLC practices like this, and to me, only shows that the company is trying to make a cheap buck off of something that should already be in the game in the first place.

An example of great DLC practices are with Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4, where all this DLC was planned after the game's release, because the DLC was an afterthought, and not important to the game's development.

You simply do not lock the full experience via a paywall. You don't require the Roy, Ryu, and Lucas DLC for the whole experience, you don't require that x 1.50 of new content in the Mario Kart 8 DLC gives you to have the full experience. DLC should enhance the experience.

To me, the alternate route you buy and the third route are not DLC, but rather locked content that you have to buy just for the sake of making the game a bit more expensive.

You nailed it Based Nexas.

You simply do not lock the full experience via a paywall. You don't require the Roy, Ryu, and Lucas DLC for the whole experience, you don't require that x 1.50 of new content that the Mario Kart 8 DLC gives you to have the full experience. DLC should enhance the experience, not be an integrel part of it.

IS see each route as full game, putting Hoshido and Nohr together will increased the price of the game from standard one. If one only wanted to play only Nohr or Hoshido, they felt it will be unfair to force them to pay for the other version so they had separated release for the Fates. Revealed in a Famitsi's interview with the developer.

On the topic, I will be happy. But since I'm too used to buying expensive shits from Japan, buying them separately here is not really that much of a deal breaker. Hell even if there no discounts, 120 is still way cheaper than the SE version I imported which is 160. >.>

Edited by Awakener_

IS see each route as full game, putting Hoshido and Nohr together will increased the price of the game from standard one. If one only wanted to play only Nohr or Hoshido, they felt it will be unfair to force them to pay for the other version so they had separated release for the Fates. Revealed in a Famitsi's interview with the developer.

I don't like the "It would be more expensive" argument, as in this case, picking just one choice don't give the player the full experience. Of course it's going to be cheaper, it's not the full game. To be honest, it feels even more unfair to not provide the player with the full game, but I guess that's just me. That's like packaging Super Smash Bros. which just the multiplayer, and then the single player is all DLC.

Of course, you're free to disagree, but I feel my point still stands.

I don't like the "It would be more expensive" argument, as in this case, picking just one choice don't give the player the full experience. Of course it's going to be cheaper, it's not the full game. To be honest, it feels even more unfair to not provide the player with the full game, but I guess that's just me. That's like packaging Super Smash Bros. which just the multiplayer, and then the single player is all DLC.

Of course, you're free to disagree, but I feel my point still stands.

Oh no, I just paraphrasing from that interview on why they did a separate release if anyone is confused.

Having the Golden Ending be in the default game wouldn't make other routes any less pointless. You still have an ending with a way sunnier conclusion for the war between the two kingdoms.

Obviously, the way around this is NOT having a Golden Ending. Whether a "Both Kingdoms must be brought to heel" route, or pulling an Arthas.

Oh no, I just paraphrasing from that interview on why they did a separate release if anyone is confused.

Ah, my bad for being hasty then. Regardless, I still gave what I felt, and I guess that's a good thing.

Well. . .yeah. Keep it all on one cartridge, so I don't have to use up precious memory card space!. . .and since not everyone knows the ending (LIKE ME), I'm going to put a small spoiler warning in your topic title.EDIT: Anyone attempting to spoil me because of what I just said will be dealt with accordingly. :P:

Major SPOILER

Are you ready?

Are you sure you are ready?

Really really ready?

100 percent sure ready?

Ok here goes!

After conquering both Nohr and Hoshido, Awakener_ and Azura settle down happily together and crowned as the King and Queen of the united continent of Nohrshido. Not bad right?

spoiler

:P

Edited by Awakener_

I disagree. There are plenty of games that do chop off ridiculous parts of games to make DLC. I do not believe FEFates is one of them.

As far as I can tell, FEFates is capitalizing on the Pokemon structure, not the DLC moneygrubbing phenomenon. Hoshido and Nohr are akin to Ruby and Sapphire, but taken up to eleven in terms of having completely separate plots and structure, even moreso than R&S did. But the principle remains the same: you have different recruitable units in both versions of Pokemon and both versions of Fates, you have to cooperate with other people or buy the other cartridge in order to get the best of both worlds, and the separation of the two parts has an actual function for the gameplay: it helps force you to pick a side. Would we have Hoshido and Nohr emblems to add to our banners if choosing between the two was basically a glorified difficulty level switch in game based on dialogue choice? I doubt it. Nobody has "Good" or "Demon" badges for Soul Nomad (which is admittedly a much less popular game, but I don't think that's the only deciding factor here).

Also, you're assuming we'd be able to get all of the same content squashed into one game if they had decided to put it all on the same cartridge. I really don't think that's true either. As far as I can tell, the intention is for a person to play both sides of the conflict to get to know all of the characters, then play the third path once they have all of their emotional investment made in the other paths. What this means is, the writers were able to get all of the necessary character development out of the way in the divided paths, then work on the third path with the understanding that people would have the character development down. That gives a writer the freedom to work on plot instead of character defining moments. It's no wonder the third path has the best story: it can rely on the world-building the other two paths already laid down in order to focus on said plot. Complaining about that is like saying "The third movie in that trilogy was the best, they shouldn't have even bothered making the first two." You wouldn't have the finale if you didn't have two movies of setup.

And finally, FEFates was a LONG project. They've been working on this thing for years. They have put a ton of time and money into this. They have put a ton of writing, animating, and testing into this. They put a ton of characters and a ton of brand-new characters, weapons, and systems into this. To have three plotlines selling individually obviously projects a greater profit. To have a greater profit predicted gives the team the freedom to deserve more money to work on the project, because they are counting on it making more back. I can't imagine they would have let the game develop for so long and expand to be huge enough to functionally be three separate games--which it is, make no mistake; it is not "here is one game you're buying three times," it's three different stories, regardless of how much you like them--if they didn't have the projection they presumably did. So if they squashed Fates into one game, we wouldn't have two separate sets of classes and two full casts of characters and two different stories with a grand, interwoven climax. We'd have "Nohr +1."

There are games I get angry about the DLC practices of. Fates isn't one of them. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

It doesn't really bother me that this game is expensive, although I am bothered that I have to pick a side at all. I most definitely wouldn't be as satisfied if I didn't get Special Edition, even if the contents are the same (they're not; only Special has both Cipher cards and the art book).

I think Fire Emblem if did what it wanted to, even though this isn't what I'd have wanted: to make the player pick a side.

As for the pricing, I think it's fine. They were serious when they said each game is about Awakening's size. Even if you don't count the shared portions, all three together is still equivalent to about 2.5 times Awakening or Radiant Dawn.

Personally speaking, I'm willing to spend 3~4 times as much on Fire Emblem compared to my second favourite series (Kirby). That makes the game (10K yen combined) feel underpriced to me, actually.