lol

I don't even play FF, but I don't have access to the newer ones? Should I play the older games from before their betrayal of Nintendo?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

2. 2. Which is better?

• FF10
    • FE10
  3. 3. Which is better?

4. 4. Which one is better?

5. 5. Which one is better?

I enjoy mostly the gameplay and the VGM/OST...

For me to enjoy a game with (nearly) no OST would be a game with a very strong gameplay element like Minecraft.

Edited by Naughx

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say I'm the kind of gamer that falls right in the middle between "casual" and "competitive". I usually want to enjoy something just for the sake of enjoying it.

I'd say I'm the kind of gamer that falls right in the middle between "casual" and "competitive". I usually want to enjoy something just for the sake of enjoying it.

I'd say I fall around here too, sometimes i'm more casual with series other times I really love a challenge.

Final Fantasy V > Final Fantasy IV

Thoughts?

It most probably is, though I never got into FF5 as much as I theoretically should. The game has a class system, meaning I'd waste hundreds of hours of my life doing different playthroughs of it because of the sheer number of ways to play through the game.

How are V or IV anywhere near terrible if I may ask you.

Can we start with the battle system? There is a huge reason X's is considered one of the (if not the) best in the series, and it starts with IV.

I tolerated IV just to say that I could. I did not enjoy IV. IV is the main reason why I will never play V or VI, because quite frankly I have had enough of that crap for one lifetime, thank you very much.

Can we start with the battle system? There is a huge reason X's is considered one of the (if not the) best in the series, and it starts with IV.

I tolerated IV just to say that I could. I did not enjoy IV. IV is the main reason why I will never play V or VI, because quite frankly I have had enough of that crap for one lifetime, thank you very much.

How is the battle system even anywhere near bad though? Also I highly disagree with X being one of the best, X-2 had a better battle system because it perfected what the traditional ATB formula did.

Also how can you judge V and VI off of IV? That is completely illogical.

X completely abandoned the ATB system in favor of a more traditional turn based system which worked for X, but it didn't feel very Final Fantasy.

Edited by Jedi

The ATB Bar in IV seemed a bit slow and prone to random pauses from my experience. The ATB Bars in V and VI fill up a bit faster and more smoothly in comparison iirc.

Edited by Carmine Sword

I'm not a fan of the ATB system either (except in X-2 where it seems to be relatively functional), but I'd still advise you to try out V and VI. Everyone should quite frankly experience the games at least once, even if they happen to dislike IV.

You never did any Final Fantasy V playthroughs because you were too busy doing Final Fantasy VI challenge runs, right Espinosa?

I don't play FF6 anymore and haven't touched it for years, so there's no reason to not get into FF5 other than me being afraid I'll get dangerously addicted to it since I know it has that kind of potential.

FF4 is the most simplistic one of the SNES FF triumvirate... The next two added quite a lot of depth into the series.

Edited by Espinosa

I remember watching those FFVI challenge runs as a kid. I had no idea what game I was watching or what was going on, but it sure looked cool! lol.

But yeah, V and VI have a lot more meat to them than IV does, so to speak.

I honestly got confused for a second when I saw this poll because I thought both options said Final Fantasy

Aaaand another poll I can't really vote for because I haven't played any Final Fantasies and only played one of the FE games listed... joy.

How is the battle system even anywhere near bad though? Also I highly disagree with X being one of the best, X-2 had a better battle system because it perfected what the traditional ATB formula did.

Also how can you judge V and VI off of IV? That is completely illogical.

X completely abandoned the ATB system in favor of a more traditional turn based system which worked for X, but it didn't feel very Final Fantasy.

I have only ever played one game that pulled off the ATB concept well. Of course, it was not a Final Fantasy.

"Not feeling very Final Fantasy" is extremely subjective, by the way. I, II, and III didn't have it, but I suppose one could consider those more as experiments. Still, personally my first Final Fantasy games were Tactics Advance and X . . . and I don't think I ever actually got around to actually completing either? (FFTA is breakable enough that that doesn't particularly matter, though.) Still, Final Fantasy for me is more thoroughly defined by games like III and XI moreso than IV or VII.

The ATB Bar in IV seemed a bit slow and prone to random pauses from my experience. The ATB Bars in V and VI fill up a bit faster and more smoothly in comparison iirc.

I'm not a fan of the ATB system either (except in X-2 where it seems to be relatively functional), but I'd still advise you to try out V and VI. Everyone should quite frankly experience the games at least once, even if they happen to dislike IV.

See, you guys are completely missing my problem with ATB. My problem was not that it was too slow at all, my problem was that it deprived me of time to actually think and plan out my turns! My problem was "Okay, so Kain will be ready before Rydia and Rosa, so . . . wait, crap, everybody's bars are full already, crap crap crap I'm wasting the time of multiple units trying to figure out and input the actions for one of them." It was just not a fun time at all! Especially with all the other games I could be playing, I would basically need to be compelled at gunpoint to put myself through an experience like that ever again.

See, you guys are completely missing my problem with ATB. My problem was not that it was too slow at all, my problem was that it deprived me of time to actually think and plan out my turns! My problem was "Okay, so Kain will be ready before Rydia and Rosa, so . . . wait, crap, everybody's bars are full already, crap crap crap I'm wasting the time of multiple units trying to figure out and input the actions for one of them." It was just not a fun time at all! Especially with all the other games I could be playing, I would basically need to be compelled at gunpoint to put myself through an experience like that ever again.

I see where you're coming from and I'd definitely prefer a completely turn-based system myself. I do wish more older Square titles with ATB incorporated the wait option that actually gave you time (though iirc it didn't always work all that properly in the games where it was present).

It's just that I was able to suppress my dislike of ATB when playing V or VI because there certainly is stuff to be enjoyed there. But if it's a deal-breaker for you, I can't blame you, it's not the most well thought-out system out there.

EDIT: Yeah, wait was only effectual when you were selecting a command from the sub-menus (magic etc.). I wish they'd extended it into the battles throughout.

Edited by Topazd

What? Oh man you didn't get anywhere near the bad parts of the story! There's just so much...where do I begin? I mean did you even get to:

Your father is sin Tidus.

For me the gameplay was mind numbingly simple. At first I had fun with the game play, but then I learned how to properly use all my abilities, and it was stupidly simple from there.

Also why did every enemy past a certain point have 1000 and 1 immunities? It would have been easier just to list what I could hit them with.

Yeah i know the story because i actually watched my boyfriend (at that time) play through the rest of the game. Gods, what ass that was. I was all "how could you stand it?" He was like "ehhh. It wasnt THAT bad. But imma go play FF9 now."

FF8 is the game i hate beyond all else. Fuck that shit and the horse it rode in on. I honestly do not like the majority of that series. Its not that much fun for me.

Is it too late to talk about FFIV? Did I miss that bus? Well Imma talk about it anyway.

When it comes to the original SNES version of FFIV, to be honest, I don't think there's much value or point in playing it these days, not when there are games like FFV, VI, VII, IX, and hey, FFIV DS, which is my favorite FF game.

The DS part really does make all the difference. It's so much better in every possible way, even in story and especially in game play. The augment system takes what was a simple and, comparatively bare-bones RPG and adds way more depth to team building and strategy. The only real issues I have with the system are that the game doesn't explain certain things about it(give X character a certain number of augments to get new augments later on, which isn't necessary to know unless you're specifically trying to get the most out of them to break the game in half in new game + playthroughs, but still) and it's difficult to experiment with in a single playthrough, which is main reason I prefer the job system(not FFIII's) but augments are a close second.