Hoshidan Spells

cuervo_1398

I thought we were supposed to get all 12 zodiac signs for spells, but when I check the spells on the main page, it seems to be missing the pig spell and the dog spell. Am I missing something or is there not spells for these signs?

Ahaha, I can't imagine what a 'ultimate pig' spell would look like in the game.

I knew that Hoshidian spells would relate to the chinese zodiac ever since I noticed the ice rat and fire ox spells.

Makes me wish Nohr's spells had some mythology or zodiac theme to it...

Don't underestimate pigs my friend, ever play LoZ windwaker? The giant pig in that game deals the most damage in the game.

On the Nohr tomes most of the higher level tomes do have a mythological basis and i believe all of them except Excalibur are Norse based.

Ahaha, I can't imagine what a 'ultimate pig' spell would look like in the game.

I knew that Hoshidian spells would relate to the chinese zodiac ever since I noticed the ice rat and fire ox spells.

Makes me wish Nohr's spells had some mythology or zodiac theme to it...

You mean besides Fimbulvetr, Yggdrassil, Brunhilde, Ragnarok and Ginnungagap?

7/10: No doggies and piggies

The weapon/item codes that Vincent posted in the weapon thread don't contain anything on the last two zodiac spells, so I guess they don't exist (yet).

You mean besides Fimbulvetr, Yggdrassil, Brunhilde, Ragnarok and Ginnungagap?

Yeah, I know that, but what about "Fire" "Nosferatu" "Thunder", etc?

All of Hoshido's primary weapons have the Zodiac theme to it, save the joke/odd weapons, like Paper or Rainbow Sage's spell.

Nohr's does have that Norse feel, but again, not all of the spells are in keeping with it.

Edited by Leif

Do you really think they would get rid of or even rename Fire and Thunder? I could be wrong but i believe fire and thunder is in every single fire emblem game. Only game on the main site sidebar (so including tear ring saga,ect well akaneia saga definitely had thunder i don't know if it has fire but i would guess that the enemy mages had the spell) that doesn't have those spells is Genei Ibun Roku #FE and that already had its own spells to draw on, and is a completely different kettle of fish than other fire emblem games.

Fire and thunder are major staples of the series they are as likely to remove those as get rid of iron weapons.

Do you really think they would get rid of or even rename Fire and Thunder? I could be wrong but i believe fire and thunder is in every single fire emblem game. Only game on the main site sidebar (so including tear ring saga,ect well akaneia saga definitely had thunder i don't know if it has fire but i would guess that the enemy mages had the spell) that doesn't have those spells is Genei Ibun Roku #FE and that already had its own spells to draw on, and is a completely different kettle of fish than other fire emblem games.

Fire and thunder are major staples of the series they are as likely to remove those as get rid of iron weapons.

Of course they wouldn't get rid of it.

I thought it would be cool to rename some of the default/buyable tomes after Norse Mythology people/locations. Wasn't suggesting that they change it; it just would have been cool to have a little more flavor text to separate the Nohrians and Hoshidians even more.

Yeah, I know that, but what about "Fire" "Nosferatu" "Thunder", etc?

All of Hoshido's primary weapons have the Zodiac theme to it, save the joke/odd weapons, like Paper or Rainbow Sage's spell.

Nohr's does have that Norse feel, but again, not all of the spells are in keeping with it.

Setting aside the image of attempting to conjure a spell from a piece of paper, I found the Paper spell especially funny because the word for paper is 'kami', pronounced the same as the word for 'God' that appears in the name of all the zodiac spells. The fact that this perfect double entendre will be lost in localization makes me upset.

A hypothetical Pig God spell though... I can imagine it looking something like Ganondorf's final smash

...On a note, Mjolnir.

...Wonder, will they call it Thorhammer in the English release to troll?

Awakening already called it Mjolnir.

It'd be pretty cool if the Nohrian spells had been named after the Greek Zodiac to counter the Chinese in Hoshido. Then you could fight Hoshido's lobster with a crab.

It'd be pretty cool if the Nohrian spells had been named after the Greek Zodiac to counter the Chinese in Hoshido. Then you could fight Hoshido's lobster with a crab.

Awakening's Mjolnir was originally called Thorhammer.

This appears to be different. (Obviously so, since the Awakening/Genealogy spell is a Legendary, and this is a common "Killer" tome [even if that's a new type for Tomes-- at least common ones]...)

Wonder if it'll be called Thorhammer for maximum confusion and trolling.

Edited by Airship Canon

Of course they wouldn't get rid of it.

I thought it would be cool to rename some of the default/buyable tomes after Norse Mythology people/locations. Wasn't suggesting that they change it; it just would have been cool to have a little more flavor text to separate the Nohrians and Hoshidians even more.

How would they do that though. i am not sure i would want to rename fire and thunder, and besides those spells, Nosferatu, Lightning and excalibur every Base spell (as in has a cost, or is S rank or preference) already has a norse mythology basis. And Nosferatu and excalibur are also in a large amount of games excalibur is in 1/11,2,3/12,7,8,and 13 and you could make a very strong case for grafcalibur from 5, and a less strong argument for rexcalibur from 10 and is in the code for 9. And Nosferatu while often changing what element it is, i believe is in every game but 1/11. Lightning i don't know what to make of, cause i have not seen the animation, is it light magic like or thunder magic like, cause if it is like light magic that gives it a bit of a precedent but not to the others level. So every new Base spell that is not Norse based is pretty much a series staple (besides possibly lightning) so i would say the flavour is already achieved Just not to the extent of the zodiac, but that had the advantage of no staple spells to add, and a concrete number of Zodiac signs to give more incentive to stick with the theme.

I see the Norse inspiration for the Nohrians. However, I would have liked to have seen a more Roman/Greek inspiration for Nohr.

I'm no expert on Asian culture, but it seems to me that Hoshido is a mixture of Japanese and Chinese culture. I thought it would have been cool to see a Roman/Greek mixture for Nohr so it could match Hoshido's Asian culture 'conglomeration'. That way, spells could have been named after Titans or the gods, like Zephyrus instead of Excalibur, Jupiter's Bolt instead of Mjolnir, etc.

More, the Roman Empire pretty much set the standard for Western civilization. My ancient history is rubbish, but I remember learning at least that much about the Romans.

I guess, though, Nohr could be a mix of British medieval and Norse cultures..?

How would they do that though. i am not sure i would want to rename fire and thunder, and besides those spells, Nosferatu, Lightning and excalibur every Base spell (as in has a cost, or is S rank or preference) already has a norse mythology basis. And Nosferatu and excalibur are also in a large amount of games excalibur is in 1/11,2,3/12,7,8,and 13 and you could make a very strong case for grafcalibur from 5, and a less strong argument for rexcalibur from 10 and is in the code for 9. And Nosferatu while often changing what element it is, i believe is in every game but 1/11. Lightning i don't know what to make of, cause i have not seen the animation, is it light magic like or thunder magic like, cause if it is like light magic that gives it a bit of a precedent but not to the others level. So every new Base spell that is not Norse based is pretty much a series staple (besides possibly lightning) so i would say the flavour is already achieved Just not to the extent of the zodiac, but that had the advantage of no staple spells to add, and a concrete number of Zodiac signs to give more incentive to stick with the theme.

Point taken, geez. I just thought it would be cool, like if Fire could have been renamed "Surtr" since he was a giant that guarded the fiery realm of Muspell... but I digress.

Just because some spell names have been in the series for 90% of the games doesn't mean it can't be subject to change. Look at our crazy new weapon triangle, for instance. Or, look how Mage Knights were renamed Dark Knights, even though they were called Mage Knights in FE4,5, and 8. The list goes on...

Edited by Leif

I see the Norse inspiration for the Nohrians. However, I would have liked to have seen a more Roman/Greek inspiration for Nohr.

I'm no expert on Asian culture, but it seems to me that Hoshido is a mixture of Japanese and Chinese culture. I thought it would have been cool to see a Roman/Greek mixture for Nohr so it could match Hoshido's Asian culture 'conglomeration'. That way, spells could have been named after Titans or the gods, like Zephyrus instead of Excalibur, Jupiter's Bolt instead of Mjolnir, etc.

More, the Roman Empire pretty much set the standard for Western civilization. My ancient history is rubbish, but I remember learning at least that much about the Romans.

I think it's just your typical Fire Emblem-ish culture. Rather then taking inspiration from a single, specific country the way Hoshido is based on Japan, it just wants to be a generic enough fantasy setting. Just as long as it has knights and mages and such, they're good.

We're seeing inspiration from other settings as well. I believe that loup-garous, for instance, were French(even though the "Managarmr" was the name of a Norse wolf).

Fire Emblem has been giving weapons, particularly legendary ones, Norse names for a while now, hasn't it? I think now they're just carrying that tradition to their generic tomes as well.

Edited by Zachmac

Really, all I wanted to do with that comment was make the Crab vs. Lobster joke.

I thought we were supposed to get all 12 zodiac signs for spells, but when I check the spells on the main page, it seems to be missing the pig spell and the dog spell. Am I missing something or is there not spells for these signs?

Makes me wonder why are they using the earthly branches instead of the heavenly stems. Maybe because animals are cooler to use?

Point taken, geez. I just thought it would be cool, like if Fire could have been renamed "Surtr" since he was a giant that guarded the fiery realm of Muspell... but I digress.

Just because some spell names have been in the series for 90% of the games doesn't mean it can't be subject to change. Look at our crazy new weapon triangle, for instance. Or, look how Mage Knights were renamed Dark Knights, even though they were called Mage Knights in FE4,5, and 8. The list goes on...

So Surtur a giant, who i believe has a major role in ragnarok would have the equivalent of a bronze weapon named after him?

Also the "Crazy new"weapon triangle is not that good of an example as it doesn't change anything, all it did was add a new 1-2 weapon type (well semi new knives were similar and most likely the inspiration) and add it and the other 1-2 and 2 weapon to the weapon triangle.(also don't get how it is "crazy" it is just a merger of the existing types and a new type, the prevailing theory from the earlier trailers that bows are strong at range but weak up close was more "crazy" than this) They also added katanas and co but they too follow iron/steel rules as that is a staple of fire emblem. And the Mage knight that is the same as dark-knight was in 2 games that shared the same classes. SS mage knight was really just a renamed gba Valkyrie so they could use light magic. It might be a cool idea to have all the spells have a mythological basis to match a mythological vibe to match Hoshido, but they already pretty much already did that in this game as most of the core spells that are not a staple are Norse based. Also fire and thunder kinda makes sense why they are called fire and thunder as they are just that, weak spells with fire and thunder hardly deserving of a mythological name. Sure rat and ox are equivalent but they summon a rat and an ox so the name basis is self explanatory. And Nosferatu is dark magic so it kinda makes sense for the theme to diverge.

Edited by goodperson707

Thunder is cool anyway.

Well, it is for me, because I always imagine Legend of Legendary Heroes and its 'What I seek is thunder!' incantation.

I also figured Nohr has some Celtic influences in there; thought this is more evident in the music than the naming.

^ what are the heavenly stems?

甲(こう)、乙(おつ)、丙(へい)、丁(てい)... you get the idea. They're usually linked to the classical Chinese elements (fire, water, wood, metal, earth) with a polarity (and so, 5*2=10).

Maybe those aren't distinct enough from the Nohrian magic. But you can say the same between lances and naginatas, or bows and... Japanese bows.