My Personal Fears for Fire Emblem If/Fates

~Silver

I made this thread in hopes that I'm not the only one with said fears for Fates release... and even then, I've only two fears, lol.

1. The Dub. We got a glimpse of it at E3, and I cringed. Like, I actually cringed at how bad the lip syncing was. Just no. Please. No.

2. I've noticed, even during the release over 'dere in Japan, that units will pop in when the battle becomes 3D. Like, when two units engage one another, I've noticed sometimes, mostly with mounted units, a fighter takes a second or two to appear. It doesn't take long, but the fact they aren't there to begin with just... bugs me.

I've taken a break from Fates literally because my ears hurt from playing a lot due to many of the female characters' voices.

I'll take a mediocre dub over that any day.

Edited by Thane

FE: Awakening had some 'dumby' voice dubs as well, but to each his own I guess.

Japanese's voices are overall nice cause doesn't sound like they want to exaggerate their character's personality, just sounds more serious and fun enough to enjoy it. But about english voices in that game ... sounds quite embarassing at times, like trying to get out of the line to be honest, :/

That's the impression I myself had with Awakening, but we didn't listen the whole cast from Fates. Better wait, though one could easily expect from these kind of weird dubs of japanese voices. I don't know why I feel overall unfittable with so many japanese to english dubs, talking about some animes, videogames, etc ... is just only me? :'/

There's only so much that can be done regarding matching the lip flaps while also keeping the line accurate. It's not going to be perfect, but I'm sure it's the best they can get it while keeping the meaning.

I thought Awakening's was great, though, I admittedly haven't see a lot of the original Japanese voices, in part because I can't take Olivia's some of the females' voices for that long. I doubt Fates' will be bad by any means.

If I had any fears, it'd be even more minor than those, like:

Liam O'Brien not being Lazwald.

Odin not at any point saying: "My tome hand twitches".

Honestly, I thought it was pretty good, maybe you're simply used to japanese voices? And because of that, hearing in another languange may sound weird.

And in regards to the lip syncing, remember, it was trailer; so it' so only natural that the lips don't match.

I made this thread in hopes that I'm not the only one with said fears for Fates release... and even then, I've only two fears, lol.

1. The Dub. We got a glimpse of it at E3, and I cringed. Like, I actually cringed at how bad the lip syncing was. Just no. Please. No.

2. I've noticed, even during the release over 'dere in Japan, that units will pop in when the battle becomes 3D. Like, when two units engage one another, I've noticed sometimes, mostly with mounted units, a fighter takes a second or two to appear. It doesn't take long, but the fact they aren't there to begin with just... bugs me.

I noticed that in the Treehouse footage, but I didn't see that issue in this IGN demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqo-VIRLpx8

I don't want units "popping" into existence either during battle transitions.

I noticed the unit popping issue.If you go to the accessory shop, you'll notice that 3D models in general take a while to load.

I didn't see it happen with mounted units. Rather, the problem is mostly with the support unit. The support units appear after the screen transition is complete. It didn't bug me too much.

I do remember someone saying that the "popping in" thing just happened in Treehouse because they haven't fully worked out the kinks yet. Not sure about the Japanese version's glitches, though I'm hoping it'll be fixed for the Western release.

As for voices, it's just that I'm so attached to voice actors like Mamoru Miyano, Miyuki Sawashiro, etc. that anyone else would pale in comparison. Even so, I did like the English voices in Awakening, especially regarding female voices that were all "awaawawawa" and squeaky in the Japanese version but toned down in English. (Other things I liked included the use of cheesy critical quotes, Gregor's accent, etc. etc.) Thought that both Morgans had weirdly low voices, though, so I hope the Kannas get more childish ones.

My bigger concerns are over support-related things, mostly how Awakening took supports and changed their meanings (Chrom and Sumia's pie supports, for one) and how the confessions just had lines that were over the top cheesy (Gaius comes to mind here). There were also some event tile/onsen lines that I particularly liked, so hopefully Fates will stay more true to the original text.

Edited by tokyobeam

I noticed the unit popping issue.If you go to the accessory shop, you'll notice that 3D models in general take a while to load.

I didn't see it happen with mounted units. Rather, the problem is mostly with the support unit. The support units appear after the screen transition is complete. It didn't bug me too much.

Wait, you have the game and you still notice that issue?! UGH.

Do you have a physical or digital copy? Would the digital cause some lag? I'm not very techno-savvy when it comes to those things.

Haha, good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has little pet peeves already.

And thing is, they're not necessarily big things, like the sudden appearance of units or even the bad DUB's can be ignored, but... still, it'll make me go, "Ughh," when I see them.

There's only so much that can be done with matching lip-flaps.

And really, after a couple re-watches, the only thing from the trailer that seemed "ugh" was Kamui's crit quote; everything else was pretty good. Awakening's dub (though considering how little actual voice acting there was) was very good.

My bigger concerns are over support-related things, mostly how Awakening took supports and changed their meanings (Chrom and Sumia's pie supports, for one) and how the confessions just had lines that were over the top cheesy (Gaius comes to mind here). There were also some event tile/onsen lines that I particularly liked, so hopefully Fates will stay more true to the original text.

The actual translation complaints concerning Awakening should fall straight on 8-4; from my experience with another game they localized, they tend to make many unnecessary changes. The Treehouse seems like they may offer a more tamer, truer translation.

The actual translation complaints concerning Awakening should fall straight on 8-4; from my experience with another game they localized, they tend to make many unnecessary changes. The Treehouse seems like they may offer a more tamer, truer translation.

Sometimes truer translations aren't exactly good transitions, some games with translations too true to the original Japanese will have jokes that will fall flat overseas etc, I mean some general stuff of course needs to stay the same, but there might be some things changed for the better for the standards in the west.

Sometimes truer translations aren't exactly good transitions, some games with translations too true to the original Japanese will have jokes that will fall flat overseas etc, I mean some general stuff of course needs to stay the same, but there might be some things changed for the better for the standards in the west.

Yes, some changes are good and for the better. But localizers also can get carried away (completely altering a characters' personality, inserting references where there were none, etc.); there's a balance that must be struck.

My pet peeve is people shitting on the dub when we've heard all of about 10-12 lines of it.

Wait until more footage comes out before judging if the dub is good or not.

My main fear for the translation personally is that they won't tone certain things down enough, so as to not piss off the people that actually like the creepy shit.

Also to note: the Japanese supports where, in English, pie was involved, usually involved bento boxes instead. Bento boxes aren't exactly commonplace in North America, so the pie thing was used as a universal substitute.

And, aside from gimping Henry's character (though Henry already lost points for me in the dub because I despise his VA with a white-hot intensity) the translation for Awakening was fine. The game's writing as a whole was a mess, but that's hardly the translation's fault.

Also to note: the Japanese supports where, in English, pie was involved, usually involved bento boxes instead. Bento boxes aren't exactly commonplace in North America, so the pie thing was used as a universal substitute.

They could have made it a pic-a-nic basket.

My pet peeve is people shitting on the dub when we've heard all of about 10-12 lines of it.

Wait until more footage comes out before judging if the dub is good or not.

PREACH.

Odin not at any point saying: "My tome hand twitches".

Same. I need this. "Down, tome hand."

Marx sounding really nasal in the dub is a very big concern of mine. Its bad enough that his accent will be...American English. <.<

Another is Pieri not dropping the third person talk in the English version.

Marx sounding really nasal in the dub is a very big concern of mine. Its bad enough that his accent will be...American English. <.<

Another is Pieri not dropping the third person talk in the English version.

What kind of accent is Xander supposed to have? I'm confused~

I wouldn't worry about Pieri speaking in the third person in English since that tends to be dramatically toned down in localizations. If I'm right, Nowi only did verbally in one of her victory quotes ("Nowi wins!"). The only other times are in text when buying or selling at a shop, which I found good because they did tone it down, which is well appreciated, while also not getting rid of it completely.

...Seriously, we've heard very little.

Do you have a physical or digital copy? Would the digital cause some lag? I'm not very techno-savvy when it comes to those things.

I have the physical SE copy, I also notice the pop-in issue, though I find it very easy to ignore.

I might have an unpopular opinion but I actually liked most of the dub voices except for the voice for kamui that one made me cringe

That's actually the popular opinion. The weebs just whine the loudest; such is the way with vocal minorities.

I have a digital copy and it still happens, but only occasionally and the delay is generally very small. It's not nearly as noticable as it was in the Treehouse demo, so don't worry about it too much.

To be honest I'm more bothered by how the frame rate tends to drop during 2 on 2 battles if the 3D switch is on. (It's like the gen 6 Pokémon games, but a bit less noticable, I guess.)

Physical. At least it's far better than Radiant Dawn where the character portraits cannot load fast enough if you scroll through the unit list quickly when arranging items. Why didn't they buffer it first is a mystery to me.

What kind of accent is Xander supposed to have? I'm confused~

I wouldn't worry about Pieri speaking in the third person in English since that tends to be dramatically toned down in localizations. If I'm right, Nowi only did verbally in one of her victory quotes ("Nowi wins!"). The only other times are in text when buying or selling at a shop, which I found good because they did tone it down, which is well appreciated, while also not getting rid of it completely.

DO NOT FORGET GREGOR

I agree with a lot of people that the Kamui dub was the only one I really didn't like. Hopefully there are better options, not like in Awakening where the Voice 1 option was the only good one for both genders imo

DO NOT FORGET GREGOR

I agree with a lot of people that the Kamui dub was the only one I really didn't like. Hopefully there are better options, not like in Awakening where the Voice 1 option was the only good one for both genders imo

...............................And now I want Xander to have a Russian accent.