Questions for my first FE5 playthrough

Completed chapter 23.

Two questions:

1. What's with Sety? According to this site http://serenesforest.net/thracia-776/characters/recruitment/ he shall appear as a NPC and is recruitable. However in my case he left the map before I started the chapter. Did I miss something?
  2. What's the point of letting all the civilians escape? I got absolute nothing for it! No item or weapon and there's no 23x.

Well, two things should happen when you get close to the castle: First, the Thracian Dragon Knights should start their attack. Second, Sety should reappear to kill the boss and take his place. So if you kill the boss before Sety has a chance to show up, then he simply won't appear at all.

Otherwise, maybe he also won't appear if you attack or wipe out the Dragon Knights before they can move. Or maybe you need to have Leaf talk to Cyas first.

The thing is that I don't have a thief stave anymore. Will I regret it later?

Wait, you don't have the staff it at all? Because, you can still repair a staff even after it is broken. Although if I read this thread correctly, you already used the Repair on the Thief Staff once and are now without any charges for the Repair Staff, so this would be no longer an option.

Edited by BrightBow

Well, two things should happen when you get close to the castle: First, the Thracian Dragon Knights should start their attack. Second, Sety should reappear to kill the boss and take his place. So if you kill the boss before Sety has a chance to show up, then he simply won't appear at all.

Otherwise, maybe he also won't appear if you attack or wipe out the Dragon Knights before they can move. Or maybe you need to have Leaf talk to Cyas first.

In turn 1 I warped Asvel to the dark mage boss, who killed him. In the enemy phase he also killed the mini boss (paladin with the master lance). There weren't any dracos in this chapter. I'm afraid of that's the answer.

Wait, you don't have the staff it at all? Because, you can still repair a staff even after it is broken. Although if I read this thread correctly, you already used the Repair on the Thief Staff once and are now without any charges for the Repair Staff, so this would be no longer an option.

Yeah, I repaired the thief stave. Thanks to it I could the fight against Rinehart much easier. Probably it would be better to have one more use left instead of stealing the tornado for Asvel.

Repair and thief stave are broken, but I still have some staves (about 10 uses of restore, 5 of silence, 3 uses of sleep, warp and rescue). Only don't have berserk.

Is it to possible to beat this game without him? I mean most of my units are close to level 20 with some maxed stats. Though I know that Holsety is the best magic weapon in this game.

PS: It would be nice, if this recruitment condition was added on this site! I was misleaded in this case.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

In turn 1 I warped Asvel to the dark mage boss, who killed him. In the enemy phase he also killed the mini boss (paladin with the master lance). There weren't any dracos in this chapter. I'm afraid of that's the answer.

That explains that.

As for the Dragon Knights, according to the page for the game's script, the Thracians should show up on turn 2. So I guess that means that they won't show up if the boss is taken out on the first turn.

Yeah, I repaired the thief stave. Thanks to it I could the fight against Rinehart much easier. Probably it would be better to have one more use left instead of stealing the tornado for Asvel.

Repair and thief stave are broken, but I still have some staves (about 10 uses of restore, 5 of silence, 3 uses of sleep, warp and rescue). Only don't have berserk.

I don't think there is anything left that is really worth stealing. What remaining use it would have can probably be substituted by those Sleep and Silence staffs.

Speaking of Sleep and Silence staffs, you might wanna grab a few more of those, just to be safe. Restore staffs are rare, so it's better to disable the enemy mages before they can do anything. That way, you can also easily capture them and take their staffs.

Is it to possible to beat this game without him? I mean most of my units are close to level 20 with some maxed stats. Though I know that Holsety is the best magic weapon in this game.

I don't think he is vital for anything. Besides, while Cyas is not anywhere near as good as Sety, you would not get to keep him if you recruited Sety.

Edited by BrightBow

Have complated ch. 24.

Grabbed some staves including the kia stave.

So next ch. will be 24x. Guess a FoW map, because each sidequest has been a FoW map yet.

I've heared rumors that this chapter shall be very VERY difficult and seriously I'm kinda worried about it.

What have I to do not to get any nasty surprises?

I've pretty much each stave in this game I can get; though only two warps and one rewarp stave.

Have complated ch. 24.

Grabbed some staves including the kia stave.

So next ch. will be 24x. Guess a FoW map, because each sidequest has been a FoW map yet.

I've heared rumors that this chapter shall be very VERY difficult and seriously I'm kinda worried about it.

What have I to do not to get any nasty surprises?

I've pretty much each stave in this game I can get; though only two warps and one rewarp stave.

Well, you should look up a map for this one because this chapter is just plain unfair.

Otherwise, if you want to go into this one blindly, then I guess the only thing I can really advise is to take as many Warp, Rewarp and Rescue staffs with you as you can afford and keep them spread out between everyone who can use them. But it's really not going to be pretty this way and I would not recommend it.

I assume this edit to my post comes too late, doesn't it? Sorry.

Edited by BrightBow

No, it's not too late.

I'm waiting for replies till I'm going to play it.

It sounds like that the enemies will wrap some dudes towards me. Unfortunately I only have two warps and one rewarp left, though still have some silences.

I'm going to watch a LP of this chapter not to get wrecked!

So I've completed ch. 24x.

I had no problem with this chapter, after I had watched a LP.

And yeah I totally agree that this chapter is unfair for a blind player.

Anyway ambush on Olwen made this chapter very easy. In turn one I wrapped her to the cell with the exit. With dime thunder she could kill all these dark sages before they could attack her and all the reinforcments went for her, which made this chapter even more comfortable for me.

Now my main problem is that I can't bring Lara + all my good stave users including Sara to the final chapter. Will load a savestate and give Sara the S drink to make her playable, because she's the only one, who can use the kia stave. I thought that maxed level units were excluded of the fatigue rule.

I only will have Tina (only 5 skill), Lionan (only 12 magic) and Sara as stave users in the final chapter. This could turn into a serious problem for me!

Outside of the Fenrir Dark Mages, Elf is likely the only real threat in Final; every other threatening boss can be statused while inside the magic circles except for Eins, who still gets facewrecked by the Bragi Blade anyway. Stone is no big problem unless Leif is hit as the big man Berdo is a wimp. So long as you can spring one Sleep and/or Restore user you should be okay.

Thanks Ray!

I took a look about the map and I didn't see any enemies with staves.

Only the dark sages with fenrir are dangerous, but they'll give me one turn, because they need to open the door first. So I'll have two turns to silence / berserk them.

Also I want to kill eins (Reidric) as soon as possible by wrapping someone into his cell to reduce the leadership stars of the enemies (learned the lesson from ch. 22).

Alright, FE5 is finished!

Many thanks to your support! All your comments helped me a lot to deal with these chapters much better.

Actually the final chapters went surprisingly very well for me.

In the final chapter only the fenrir sages were a little problem for me in the first turn as opening and seizing the center of each cell in time, because I was running out of lockpicks. Thankfully I had enough sleep and beserk staves left against the heros.

Veld was the typical final boss in FE: pathetic

Didn't even need the kia stave, because I could beat him one turn after I had opened the final door.

All in all FE5 was a fantastic game for its time.

Gameplaywise it was just awesome! No other FE game forces you a correct using of all your staves.

Storywise it was the best of all FE games I've played yet. Very dark, but also realistic.

I only wished 0 and 100% hitrate would exist and you that can form your units in the battle preparations. A major downfall in some chapters, when you don't have a stave user in a smaller group.

I also don't like the fatigue system like it exists. It's an interesting mechanic, which forces you to share the battle exp., but it screwed me most of the time especially Lara. It made the final chapter artifically harder than it could be.

First of all, glad we have another person who enjoys Thracia.

I also don't like the fatigue system like it exists. It's an interesting mechanic, which forces you to share the battle exp., but it screwed me most of the time especially Lara. It made the final chapter artifically harder than it could be.

S-Drinks help quite a bit, did you manage to get some throughout the playthrough? I personally think the fatigue system is pretty solid and it makes you think more, but it seems its a rare opinion ^^;

First of all, glad we have another person who enjoys Thracia.

S-Drinks help quite a bit, did you manage to get some throughout the playthrough? I personally think the fatigue system is pretty solid and it makes you think more, but it seems its a rare opinion ^^;

I only had 3-4 s drinks in total during the entire game. Only captured one, if I remember correctly. It was a problem that some of my units were suspended especially my stave users and Lara.

Like I said the fatigue is a good idea to force you to share the exp. and change your team from chapter to chapter, but it could be fixed (like a limit of exp. you may get in each chapter). Not having a dancer in your team is a real downfall, no matter what!

I accidently forgot to bring one of my two drinks to ch. 24x. It was in good hands in the inventory :/

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach