QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

I made a heavily-modified palusami. It was amazing, and if it wasn't for the fact that I can't take large amounts of coconut, and the dish itself is stupidly expensive (ingredient-wise), I'd totally eat this every other week!

Bonus question: Sure.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

So I'm an idiot for not reading, such is the consequence of trying to post late in the sleep cycle. Let's see....

I think I tried some sort of soup with ramen noodles and chicken and stuff (different from the chicken and potato stew I typically make). I used way too much food and couldn't eat it all, but it turned out okay.

I guess now nobody is really sure what interest meant \o/

(though I guess it was already kinda like that anyway)

Ya caught me red-handed.
bonus question: when i, integrity, should abide by #throwbackthursday and do some of those really old questions, should i re-ask interest's really stupid hypothetical train scenario questions

That could be really unkind depending on the context. To answer: I don't mind either way.

Edited by Interest

I literally can't remember the last time I tried to cook a new dish. Everything I cook I've known how to do for at least a few years.

i made pretzel brats and they were dank

QUESTION SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN: What was the worst album/song/period by an artist you otherwise really like?

music question!

Edited by Integrity

zero no kiseki evolution's soundtrack was a bastardization of the original, those arranges simply. didn't. work

... jdk band qualifies as artists okay, would watch their lives if i could

being a disgusting gaijin is suffering

I think there's literally one song by the Beatles that I cannot stand. It's called Because, and I dislike it because it's so dull... The Beatles have so many good songs (I could give you a list, but that list will be very long) but that song was TERRIBLE.

I can't stand Queen's Hot Space (1982). Too much disco for my tastes, and even the one song that's considered to be the saving grace for this widely-criticized album (even among Queen fans), "Under Pressure", is one I don't like very much. Overall, just not a great album, imo. None of their stuff in the 80's ever held a candle to their earlier work.

Queen's Hot Space is the only thing I don't really like about their lineup. Bowie got pretty mediocre and samey in the late 80s. Guns N' Roses was never able to replicate their debut album, much less surpass it. Iron Maiden went downhill after Number of the Beast, but it wasn't very steep at least and I still like a fair amount of things they did afterwards. Michiru Yamane has been in a rut ever since Order of Ecclesia.

etc. etc.

Edited by Nightmare

Going to specifically have to go with Queen's Body Language. Happened to hear the song at some point and felt very jarring to listen to compared to their other works. Out of all the music that happened to be on the CDs my family owns, it's the only one I did not save to my computer.

I really like Underøath (they ded now tho) but only when they had their second main vocalist, I'm not a huge fan of their music with their first main vocalist. It's just not my style at all, it was like heavier and not nearly as pretty sounding (yes it may sound strange to most but there is "screamo" music that I consider to be quite pretty sounding)

My vote for worst album by an artist I like would have to go to Chinese Democracy by Guns N Roses. Its not even really GnR its Axel Rose with a bunch of other guys. The songs themselves don't resemble really anything GnR did in the past and I can't say I found any of them memorable.

I love Super Junior, man, but I've never been able to get into their first stuff, like Super Junior '05. They had rocky beginnings.

sabbath were near-perfect with ozzy (never say die isn't great, and technical ecstasy is 7/10 as opposed to their other albums not mentioned which are all at least 9/10). after the dio years, though, aka the mid 80s up until 2013, they were bad. 13 is an alright album, 6/10.

as has been said, iron maiden's no prayer for the dying. HOWEVER, virtual xi and the x factor are super fucking trash. notb is their best album, but most of their albums after that are very, very good.

nas has like 4 good albums (haven't heard his whole discog yet though). and those 4 albums seal him as the one of the greatest of all time.

tommy emmanuel is fantastic live, when it's just him and his guitar. i really like him. in the studio, though, he's got too much going on and i rarely enjoy his music. aside from a few songs, i typically skip when they come up. makes me sad. :(

i didn't enjoy zappa's "we're only in it for the money," nearly as much as most do.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Q614 - i baked my first cake. moist af! people liked it!

Q615 - oh gosh, dozens come to mind. i'll go with Daft Punk's "Human After All" (a rushed, seemingly ironic album) since it was bad music made by a group at the height of their powers rather than by some well-past-their-prime rock band. disappointing follow-up to one of my favorite albums

going for an easy target here

Metallicas St. Anger

bad songs, the title song is horrid and even the name of the album itself

St. Anger? it sounds like the most intentional edge shit ever

i'm also really not a fan of REMs Shiny Happy People

i like being happy and stuff, but this is just weird from a band that mostly delves into more deeper meanings from their songs or have darker lyrical content than Shiny Happy People

they themselves aren't fans of it either, so thats nice, i guess

"In case you've been fortunate enough to have never heard 'Stain Anger,' here it is, verbatim:
Pockety-pock pock-pock POCK. Pockety-pock pock-pock POCK.
Pockety-pockety-Pockety-pockety-Pockety-pockety-Pockety-pockety-
Pockety-pockety-Pockety-pockety-Pockety-pockety-Pockety-pockety-Pockety-pockety
'If I could have my wasted beers back
I'd use them to buy me some crack' x8
'Oooooh, yodel-yodel, whoa-ahooooo-ho!. Whoa-a-whoa-a-ooo-ooo-oooh, whoa!'
Pockety pock-pock."

sabbath were near-perfect with ozzy (never say die isn't great, and technical ecstasy is 7/10 as opposed to their other albums not mentioned which are all at least 9/10). after the dio years, though, aka the mid 80s up until 2013, they were bad. 13 is an alright album, 6/10.

I can appreciate some of the individual tracks recorded with Tony Martin, like Nightwing, Anno Mundi or Jerusalem. Born Again, unholy bastard child of Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, has a couple decent songs too. Dehumanizer is stellar doom. I'd say there's no decrease in quality compared to the last two Ozzy albums in the 70s, but all of it is to some extent inessential.

I suppose most bands with extensive discographies that I'm aware of have bad records, or only a few ones they never live up to? It seems pointless to point anything out. I guess you could always mention that one prog band that went bad pop (maybe with a catchy hit or two, but often not even that), a band whose frontman suddenly saw himself as an experimental genius to go on to produce a bunch of atrocious crap, or a band that released one big album and then just lived off its success for a lifetime career.

Oh, I guess I can think of one thing that I do find really repulsive even when a sharp loss of quality is the rule in rock music rather than an exception. Celtic Frost's short glam/rap period prior to Monotheist.

born again and dehumanizer are great albums. i included dehumanizer in the 'dio years' despite the 10 year gap. my bad on my lack of clarity. i also just plain forgot about born again and ian gillan's greatness.

i think i dislike tony martin enough to blow this out of proportion lol.

on another note, though, rush and pink floyd are definitely two of the best bands of all time, or at least in prog rock, but they both have a few albums that just don't deliver. i've never listened to floyd's "a momentary lapse of reason," in full (actually only a few), but i know it's infamous for being a disappointment

Edited by Phoenix Wright