Critical hit/Skill activation Quotes question.

Alvin1104

Another change that frustrated me was Yarne's, whose quote went from "I won't go extinct!" to "Now! You go extinct!" Yarne's characterized to be a very cowardly character. In one of the Drama CD's for the Past Future, he refused to fight at first because of his fear. He only decided to participate and be brave after he realized that his friends needed his support. So the sheer fact that they changed his defensive quote to an offensive one really irked me. Yarne isn't out to kill people; he's aiming to save himself and his peers. He's focused on survival, not destruction.

This is kind of nitpicky but I hear Yarne's English quote as "No! You go extinct!" instead of what you wrote. This completely changes it from an aggressive outburst to more of a defensive one, take that as you will.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is kind of nitpicky but I hear Yarne's English quote as "No! You go extinct!" instead of what you wrote. This completely changes it from an aggressive outburst to more of a defensive one, take that as you will.

Oh. Oh wow. I just checked the wiki, and you're right. Pfft, and all the times that I played I always thought it was "now." I still do prefer the JP quote, but that's probably just my bias speaking. Nevertheless, I am pleasantly surprised. Thank you for the correction!

Edited by Minischew

Maybe it's just me, but I never got the impression that any of the English quotes seemed more "bloodthirsty" than the Japanese ones (which I have seen) other then Henry's, but he's, well, Henry. Nor did I feel they hurt their characters.

Rather, I felt that they characterized them more. Just for me, I don't get anything out of hearing five characters say the same basic "I'm sorry.", "It's over." or "Prepare yourself.". And I certainly get even less when their children say the exact same thing. It feels like they're hardly separate beings with separate personalities. I enjoyed the fact that not only did the English quotes have more flavor, but they also allowed the children to stand apart from their parents, in addition to having the adults feel like they're all different. Even similar lines were worded just differently enough so that each person felt like an individual. Only ones I don't like are two of Stahl's having a one word difference. But that's just me~

"Won't you move for me, please?" vs. "It's been lovely."

This is a critical/skill quote right? Cause to me... they are both condescending as hell. The first one is saying, "Won't you move for me, please?" and then he smacks you in the face for massive damage. That seems flippant to me. You could take it several ways, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. "It's been lovely" just seems more American. Also condescending, but it is suave instead of actually flippant. I'm not saying it doesn't ruin his character, but I can't agree with the Japanese one being better.

Edited by Psyruby

This is a critical/skill quote right? Cause to me... they are both condescending as hell. The first one is saying, "Won't you move for me, please?" and then he smacks you in the face for massive damage. That seems flippant to me. You could take it several ways, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. "It's been lovely" just seems more American. Also condescending, but it is suave instead of actually flippant. I'm not saying it doesn't ruin his character, but I can't agree with the Japanese one being better.

But the tone of the JP quote doesn't strike me as condescending at all, so I don't think that's how they wanted it come across. Olivia also says something along "P-please get out of the way!" and... I don't think anyone can label that shrinking violet as condescending, lmao. Judging by how Olivia's quotes are all supposed to express reluctance, and Inigo essentially copies that quote, I think it's supposed to represent that as well.

I mean, several characters also bark out the command "Move!" (e.g. Gerome) and then go on to hit the enemy. Maybe it's a consensus that a plea or command to move is a forewarning of an attack? That is a bit confusing though, now that you mention it.

And that's the point that bothers me. Inigo isn't supposed to be suave-- he's meant to fail at his flirting. The very difference in the voice acting immediately keys us into how differently JP and EN interpreted his character, and I don't like the localization's low "hey there" Inigo.

Edited by Minischew

But the tone of the JP quote doesn't strike me as condescending at all, so I don't think that's how they wanted it come across. Olivia also says something along "P-please get out of the way!" and... I don't think anyone can label that shrinking violet as condescending, lmao. Judging by how Olivia's quotes are all supposed to express reluctance, and Inigo essentially copies that quote, I think it's supposed to represent that as well.

I mean, several characters also bark out the command "Move!" (e.g. Gerome) and then go on to hit the enemy. Maybe it's a consensus that a plea or command to move is a forewarning of an attack? That is a bit confusing though, now that you mention it.

And that's the point that bothers me. Inigo isn't supposed to be suave-- he's meant to fail at his flirting. The very difference in the voice acting immediately keys us into how differently JP and EN interpreted his character, and I don't like the localization's low "hey there" Inigo.

I think we both have valid views, so I'm going to end this with a joke. I think if you kill your target when flirting, you can count it as a failure.

Edited by Psyruby

I kind of have to disagree about the Inigo not being suave thing, the point of the character is that he's trying to flirt so that he can get girls, so of course his mannerisms would try to reflect that. Granted, it falls flat (like it does in the supports), but that doesn't mean the character wouldn't try and put his all into acting that way when it's a part of his façade.

As for the rest of the critical quotes, while I wouldn't say it was perfect, I did like that the localization did change up the quotes with the children. The thing is, they still are their own characters and thus would have their own traits and sayings. They wouldn't just say what their parents used to say, they'd say what their own feelings would be. So as said before, them just copying their parents makes them too similar to the parents rather then being their own separate people, and I prefer it the way the localization did it then it was in the Japanese version. The same holds true with Fates and I hope that the localization does give them more individual quotes as well, I'd much rather Kinu have more of her own lines then sharing them with Nishiki as she's not her father and I'd prefer she'd reflect that more in her quotes.

Edited by Medeus

I kind of have to disagree about the Inigo not being suave thing, the point of the character is that he's trying to flirt so that he can get girls, so of course his mannerisms would try to reflect that. Granted, it falls flat (like it does in the supports), but that doesn't mean the character wouldn't try and put his all into acting that way when it's a part of his façade.

As for the rest of the critical quotes, while I wouldn't say it was perfect, I did like that the localization did change up the quotes with the children. The thing is, they still are their own characters and thus would have their own traits and sayings. They wouldn't just say what their parents used to say, they'd say what their own feelings would be. So as said before, them just copying their parents makes them too similar to the parents rather then being their own separate people, and I prefer it the way the localization did it then it was in the Japanese version. The same holds true with Fates and I hope that the localization does give them more individual quotes as well, I'd much rather Kinu have more of her own lines then sharing them with Nishiki as she's not her father and I'd prefer she'd reflect that more in her quotes.

I mean... I know he's a flirt. But I don't think he's a suave flirt. To be more exact, suave means charming and confident, and he fits neither of the bill. He strikes me more as the type of guy who'd continuously tell you that you're cute and try to get a date, but not the guy that would say "hey sexy baby" and ask for your number. I definitely can't imagine him flirting with his enemies, tbh. But that's simply my impression, and I can definitely see where you're coming from as well. I don't want to flood this thread with Inigo debates just because I'm a little obsessed with him, so I'll just move on now. Apologies for all of the Inigo talk. ^^;;

I actually have a question regarding the translation. What exactly does Gurei's copied line from Awakening mean?

Edited by Minischew

Better bloodthirsty than boring.

I... don't consider being a sadistic murder by itself particular interesting. Especially if it's a trait shared by the entire cast.

Same goes for having a single-minded obsession that makes a character completely indifferent towards everything that goes on around them, even life and death situations. Especially if it's a trait shared by the entire cast. That routine became boring quickly.

Edited by BrightBow

I loved the localised critical quotes.

They are more 'western' as well in that we tend to casualise violence alot more than the Japanese do, so they clearly knew their audience. I would also get goosebumps and grin whenever I heard certain ones: it makes your characters seem badass and the effort in raising them feels worthwhile.

As for the whole Inigo quotes; I believe you're overthinking it. You can be aggressive in battle without being a sadist; especially when your life is on the line. Considering the children are from a time of constant war and devastation, it honestly makes less sense for them be afraid of conflict. He can have his internal struggles about killing people in base, fine, but if that were to bleed over into battle and make him hesitant to kill, he'd be dead already in a war situation.

I... don't consider being a sadistic murder by itself particular interesting. Especially if it's a trait shared by the entire cast.

Same goes for having a single-minded obsession that makes a character completely indifferent towards everything that goes on around them, even life and death situations. Especially if it's a trait shared by the entire cast. That routine became boring quickly.

That's how I feel about Joker; I never really liked him aside of his outlandishness, and even then he's just eh to me because the sociopathy is his defining (and almost only) characteristic. I feel that it's not just exclusive to the Awakening cast (really, most characters in the franchise could fall under that), it's just that critical quotes didn't exist until Awakening, and had they been in games prior we'd still have this issue of callousness. A non-localized Awakening cast could come across as not that far off from the older games characters had critical quotes not exist. But the older games don't have critical quotes, therefore the Awakening characters feel that much more inferior in comparison to some people in this userbase. With that said, I really don't see much reason for me to stick around here anymore.

To add, whilst the JP quotes tend to be a bit less bluntly callous, the JP quotes are still pretty big on emphasising character traits. Lets not pretend the JP characters are somehow all not mostly into what they're doing when they're killing people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Cx5U1E4vw

Not conclusive but you get the idea.

I do like how the JP maintain an inheritance of lines though...in particularly for Inigo, since his lines are very similar to Olivia's but have entirely different connotations befitting him as a separate character. A lot of the others are much more cut and dry, although I guess the contrast between Maribelle's desu-wa mannerisms and Brady's macho ze's are nice.

Edited by Irysa

That's how I feel about Joker; I never really liked him aside of his outlandishness, and even then he's just eh to me because the sociopathy is his defining (and almost only) characteristic. I feel that it's not just exclusive to the Awakening cast (really, most characters in the franchise could fall under that), it's just that critical quotes didn't exist until Awakening, and had they been in games prior we'd still have this issue of callousness. A non-localized Awakening cast could come across as not that far off from the older games characters had critical quotes not exist. But the older games don't have critical quotes, therefore the Awakening characters feel that much more inferior in comparison to some people in this userbase. With that said, I really don't see much reason for me to stick around here anymore.

Indeed. I haven't given this topic much thought since I loved Awakening's critical hit lines and I thought that was the more common opinion. However, if that had been present in earlier games, we'd definitely have the same problem; just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure all of Joshua's quotes would've been about luck and coin tosses or what have you.

Indeed. I haven't given this topic much thought since I loved Awakening's critical hit lines and I thought that was the more common opinion. However, if that had been present in earlier games, we'd definitely have the same problem; just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure all of Joshua's quotes would've been about luck and coin tosses or what have you.

One of the big reasons a lot of the Awakening characters seem much more gimmicky is because of the critical quotes, rubbing in one certain facet of their personality.

As for the translation, it's nice that they're unique, but they do come off as too bloodthirsty for most of the cast. When localizing, there's a balance that must be struck between straight translation and "woolseyism"; 8-4 clearly abuses the latter. Hopes are on the Treehouse to do a better job.

One of the big reasons a lot of the Awakening characters seem much more gimmicky is because of the critical quotes, rubbing in one certain facet of their personality.

As for the translation, it's nice that they're unique, but they do come off as too bloodthirsty for most of the cast. When localizing, there's a balance that must be struck between straight translation and "woolseyism"; 8-4 clearly abuses the latter. Hopes are on the Treehouse to do a better job.

Well...with the one example we've seen so far being the cringe-inducing "I WON'T SURRENDER!"... (which is basically a straight translation of Kamui's "akiramenai")

Edited by Bovinian

I think it fits the cheesy writing and characters of the series rather well, personally, and some of them always bring a smile to my face. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I won't pretend to have given enough thought to this to try and debate it; I will say that I find the Japanese lines more boring, however, so I'm glad they changed them.

Well...with the one example we've seen so far being the cringe-inducing "I WON'T SURRENDER!"... (which is basically a straight translation of Kamui's "akiramenai")

(Cringe-inducing because of that VA; we don't even know if the VA's that bad, or if that line won't be re-recorded.)

But as I said, there's a balance; one or two examples aren't enough to base anything on.

Uh besides the small debate about my favourite Awakening character, this thread has been very helpful so far, so thank you to everyone who is helping out with the critical quotes! I'm very happy they're the same/similar to their awakening counterparts and I look forward to the localisation if they keep them similar too! I'm so glad they've kept this neat feature in, I love shouting critical hit quotes at my fellow Fire Emblem friends and having critical hit quote wars~

As for the whole Inigo quotes; I believe you're overthinking it. You can be aggressive in battle without being a sadist; especially when your life is on the line. Considering the children are from a time of constant war and devastation, it honestly makes less sense for them be afraid of conflict. He can have his internal struggles about killing people in base, fine, but if that were to bleed over into battle and make him hesitant to kill, he'd be dead already in a war situation.

It seems like you're absolutely correct, because the JP quotes for Lazward have "Sure, I'll dance with you." And the usage of "dance" was one of my biggest pet peeves, ahaha... I guess the game's telling me that my interpretation of Inigo is absolutely flawed. At the very least, I won't be biased towards the JP quotes this time around, since a lot of them seem to be way too bloodthirsty on supposedly placid characters for my liking.

I have nothing against Leo's quotes, though. He was shown to be a "cold-hearted" character even from his personal skill, and oh man I love his critical quotes so much.

Anyways, some of the quotes have been translated on the video. A lot of the quotes are still referred to as (?), and by the time the video rolls around to Takumi/Kisaragi, the subs die out.

Edited by Minischew

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just wanna report the two of Luna's critical quotes brought over from Awakening since I just watched the Awakening DLC chapter and heard her critical quotes...

Luna/Severa:

終わらせてあげる!(Owara sete ageru!) = I'll end it for you!

and

あたしだって!( Atashi datte!) = Even I can!

Which is kinda sorta awkward since they're the matching ones to the critical lines brought over by Cordelia/Matoi...

So... if Luna+Tsubaki+Matoi family happens...they're all going to have around the same critical quotes.... canon family?

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just wanna report the two of Luna's critical quotes brought over from Awakening since I just watched the Awakening DLC chapter and heard her critical quotes...

Luna/Severa:

終わらせてあげる!(Owara sete ageru!) = I'll end it for you!

and

あたしだって!( Atashi datte!) = Even I can!

Which is kinda sorta awkward since they're the matching ones to the critical lines brought over by Cordelia/Matoi...

So... if Luna+Tsubaki+Matoi family happens...they're all going to have around the same critical quotes.... canon family?

I was going to put Luna and Tsubaki together in the third path anyway so I don't mind~

Thank you so much for all the help you're giving! I really appreciate it!!!

Since this thread has been revitalized, I hope people won't mind me asking a question.

(Just as heads up: I have no idea how to romanize Japanese, so the romanizations are going to be horribly off. I kept them romanized because I have no idea what the meanings of certain criticals are, and it would be awkward to have some of them translated and some of them not.)

At around 9:16 on this video, Takumi says "Shitsukoi da...!," which is his fourth critical quote. I'm assuming this is actually the line Kisaragi inherited "Shitsukoi wo~." from. In the same video, at around 12:44, Kisaragi says "Nerai usa yo," which is his fourth critical quote.

So... does anyone know which lines actually correspond to which? I'm assuming this is how it goes:

(T) "Mesawari nanda kedo." -> (K) "Nerai usa yo."

(T) "Chou shini noru nayo." -> (K) "Chotto jama come on!"

(T) "Shitsukoi da...!" -> (K) "Shitsukoi wo~."

(T) "Boku ga yaru." -> (K) "Boku wa yanne!"