Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 1

Shin

Owen released another sigh when Lionel made his apologies. "No, it's fine... we will be fine here." With his mind prioritizing the task at hand rather than slip ups, Owen was certainly not in the mind to judge his vassals. Fate wouldn't have him focused, however, with Cass and Sidney quick to argue again. Glances were shot his way, and they definitely didn't seem content without his decision on the matter. "Goodness..." A shake of the head, "Look, considering our proximity to Baron Dettard's lands, I will hire you, Sidney." Owen took a pause to let his words sink, but resumed too quick to receive any voiced objections. "However! I will provide you the information I judge necessary for your work, not a word more." Owen made his voice stern as he glanced back, mellowing his expression but moments later. "There's no point in overloading you in your first mission, especially when I don't know your results. I intend to pay you as I would a mercenary. Worry not about our ability to pay a salary --as long as you do a proper job."

With the attempt to defuse that situation made, Owen turned to face Alleun just in time for his response, realizing the Count had prudence in that decision. "That's fair. I suppose the best course of action is for me to handle this situation as soon as possible. Wish me luck." With a nod, Owen gave his permission for Count Alleun to dismiss himself, and turned his gaze at Ebert once again. "Thank you, Sir Ebert. And... worry not, I'm sure my father and the court will understand once I provide results."

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cass' smirk turned into a full smile, and she resisted the urge to release a haughty laugh. It was clear she was pleased, though. "I knew I could trust you, brother~" She was trying really hard not to sound so delighted, but it was soooo tough. This Sidney had been pushing her buttons ever since she'd showed up, and now that Cass had finally gotten a one up on her, things were already feeling better. It seemed that talks would have to wait, though, until things were less busy. That was fine, they could happen later.

"We'll find your results, Ebert. Worry not~ Feel free to tell our father we'll be done soon, if you're heading right back to the castle-- oh, er... Try not to mention me too directly, if you do, though. They've probably realized I'm gone, by now," They'd have to be morons to not have, "but I'd still rather it not be said so directly." Maybe it would do some good for him not to, but Cass doubted it; she was already ready for the lecture when they returned.

Edited by Snake Mom

Hmm... mixed news. Sidney had a difficult time not letting herself give into instinct and throttling the princess- she had to be on good behavior to not blow it now. "Fine. I'll let my actions speak for themselves when the going gets tough. Well, if that's all, I don't suppose I care to stick around any longer." The thief made her way out the door, crossing her arms with a huff. Ridiculous. They have every right not to trust me, but... perhaps I got my hopes up a bit high. Still, she glanced around somewhat awkwardly- she didn't entirely have a follow up plan, she just wanted to avoid the princess.

"Well then, Owen. I suppose I shall go indulge the vassals in some talk whilst I wait for your orders." Cass curtsied to the count and Ebert a moment, walking out after Sidney, whom she couldn't resist poking, just once more. "You were right, it was a good idea to wait for my brother's opinion. Thanks~" Cass giggled with glee, walking past the woman and approaching Angus. Claire was still about, but she had a question for him about axes.

"Angus, I've need of some help." She went back to folding her arms, tapping her foot lightly against the ground. "You seem to have no trouble tossing axes about; I've seen you practice, despite denting the castle walls a few times. I won't lie, though I've had time to train with Adele and Graham, we..." She flushed a light shade of red, grumbling a bit, "...never really, got around to practicing... With throwing axes." She stumbled over the words a moment, biting her lip. "I've procured one from the bandits, and whilst we're here, there's no one else I can ask to help me. Do you think you could... Give me a few pointers-- some advice, or an example?" It felt beneath her to ask for help from a vassal; she was supposed to be an example to them... But. There was no getting around this situation. She'd have to learn from someone at sometime. Better now than later, if they were to fight again.

Edited by Snake Mom

Having sufficiently rested up, Graham stretched himself out from his brief nap and set out to quickly do what he felt he was meant to do most in the world: train. Comfortable clothes, then armour... and the Over Flag held in his hand. This was how Graham felt most comfortable in life. Not to say that he enjoyed fighting and war, but it was just something that came naturally to him.

Getting into a combat stance, he turned his head slightly to peer into the meeting room - it seemed things inside were wrapping up. He'd have to make this quick, then, in case they were leaving right away.

Another of those ever-frequent sighs escaped. "Honestly..." Owen wondered for a moment whether he'd spoiled his sister, judging her reaction. No matter. I can't risk trusting a thief, of all people, so readily. This woman will just have to put up with my terms.

"Well then, I suppose I shouldn't be wasting your time either. Sir Ebert, Count Alleun." Owen turned again to the gentlemen, "I will gather my men and leave soon, march as far as I can before the sun sets. You are free to continue your duties." Owen dismissed the two, walking away for but a moment before turning back with a thought in his mind. "Ah, Sirs, how much do you know about this territory? Am I to expect more rogues in the vicinity?"

Edited by Xinnidy

"Very well. I've never been one for extended prattle, so those terms suit me just fine." Adele concluded, standing from her seat as she finished her tea.

"Jeeves, do fetch 1500 gold's worth of coin from the coffers for their initial payment... as well as travel expenses and additional funds in the case we end up in combat." The noblewoman continued, as she peered out to see her brother about to begin training.

"I'll need ask you to pack yourself up, Lord Brother. We've no time to waste, as soon as Jeeves has concluded preparations, we depart."

After Owen had taken the discussion inside, Claire found herself with very little to do. The princess seemed to be content talking with Angus about their weapons, about axe technique or something like that (she didn't really care, truth be told), and Gerard seemed content on his own. This left Sidney for company, which... wasn't exactly desirable, so she found herself wandering the ruined village rather aimlessly until she came across the armoury. She wasn't expecting to find much of interest inside, but perhaps they had a spare tome or two lying around, so she tried the entrance.

Niko grinned. "Then that's settled. We'll stay with you as long as you need us. Thank you." Walking over to Doug, Niko gave him a light punch to the shoulder. "Why don't we go check on your pegasus and talk about specifics for how we'll handle this, alright?"

Angus shrugs, hefting his weapon and beckoning for Cassandra to follow him. "Not really surprised by that one, honestly. It's more for--" he hesitates, realizing she may take this as coddling again, before continuing anyhow. "for the men on the front line. Nobody expects a princess to have to fend off javelins and archers, hm?" He leads the princess to a moldy bale of hay he spied during the battle--sure as hell not going to be missed.

"Alright, for this--it's all in the release. The instinct is to just rear back and chuck it, but then you let go 'round where they are and wind up falling way short. So what you've gotta do is just let it fall out of the hand as you hurl it. Depends on a lot of things, but you generally want to loose it just a bit past upright." Angus extends his arm not quite vertically, tilting it up just a bit to compensate for the change in height. "You don't ride a horse and you're a tad short, so from here... maybe like so?" Angus crouches, making himself a hair shorter than Cass, then throws, burying the axe in, admittedly, a very easy target. "Do it right, and it doesn't even turn. Give it a whirl."

"Though, while you're here... exactly how did the Prince get so torn up? Even without me there, he still had another three people who should've been taking those bolts long before him." To hell with prudence; the man tries that on a serious battlefield, and he's as good as dead. Angus has run that drill enough times to know how it ends. Maybe his darling sister could remind him of his place.

Edited by Terrador

Cass cocked an eyebrow at his line about men on the front line. She knew he meant no disrespect, and was just talking of her position. She was a princess, after all. Still... "Hmph. Well, whoever these nobodies are, they should expect more from me. I'll be fending off archers and javelins perfectly fine, just you watch." She couldn't let the regulars show her up, now. She had to get this down pat. Though, admittedly... Angus' choice of target was a bit... Suspect. I'm to retrieve my weapon from that? I'm... Almost tempted to miss on purpose. She made a rather disgusted face at their aiming post, but decided not to comment. Unless they were to use the corpses laying about as targets, this would have to do.

"All in the release, hmm?" At least he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. His squire training wasn't for show. It was fairly valuable information, and he wasn't awful to listen to, either. She ended up nodding as he went along, watching his demonstration and smirking a bit. "It's good to know you're not all talk. That was a good toss. Now, stand aside. I've a reputation to uphold." It was a self held reputation, but it was her own, nonetheless! She tried her best to mimic his pose, took into mind what he'd said about the release, winded up, and... Woosh! The axe went into the hay bale, though not as centered as his throw-- and she'd lost her footing a bit, on the release. She blushed a faint red, once again, but she propped her hands onto her hips, smirked, and huffed. "Well! That wasn't hard at all~ Thank you for the advice, Angus... Now... Retrieve that, from the bale. I refuse to touch that pile of... Excess." She shivered, and went back to folding her arms.

"Hmm, Owen?" she asked, while he inquired, as she waited for her weapon to be retrieved. "He lead the charge as a proper leader should. Unfortunately, he underestimated the enemy, and ate some bolts. I fixed him up nice and proper; he's fine, now. Are you questioning his decision, Angus?" Cass eyed him up hard. She knew Owen wasn't perfect, but he was alive, and that's what mattered, in the end-- provided he kept all of his limbs. Softening her gaze on the vassal, she sighed. "I suppose I can ask him to exert more caution. It would probably be better for you to do so yourself, even if he'd be more likely to listen to me... While you are a vassal, you're not a servant, or a slave. You're free to express your opinion to your liege... Even if he, or I, may not respond favorably~" She laughed a bit that time, narrowing her gaze and smiling.

Bandito Country

Alleun looked back at the departing prince, giving him a serious look. "Stick to the main roads and you should be fine, and don't travel at night, sir. We've got our fair share of bandits, nobody really to fend them off." Alleun walked back towards the village hall, the village elder following soon after him. That left Ebert, who seemed rather apathetic to Cass' requests. He gave a stern nod and also returned to the hall.

Hillbilly Armory

Greeted by a dirty short man with grubby hands, Claire's choice to visit the armory was a questionable one. "Yous be at the right place, miss! I got all the weapons you could be wanting, you'll kill them bandits dead you will!"

Bronze Sword 300G
Bronze Lance 270G
Bronze Axe 250G
Bronze Bow 280G
Unreliable Flame 220G
Bandage 400G 
Leather Armour 600G

Jeeves, Master of Accounting

Jeeves nodded, writing a note on a piece of parchment. "As you wish, Lady Adeltrudis, I shall ensure that the correct sums are carried out." Jeeves looked at Graham out of the corner of his eye. "Do not worry, Master Graham, I shall ensure that your belongings are also transported. Arrangements have been made, all I ask is that you are ready once we are to depart."

How can anyone butcher the Anglen language so... violently? The country accent and the comment about 'killing bandits dead' made her somewhat doubtful of the quality of the weapons they had for sale, so she ignored the tome on display and was considering making her way out, when she spotted something else. "I'll take the armour." she told the merchant. While she'd managed to avoid any permanent injury in the previous battle, she wasn't exactly the sturdiest fighter, so perhaps the purchase would prove useful.

Niko grinned. "Then that's settled. We'll stay with you as long as you need us. Thank you." Walking over to Doug, Niko gave him a light punch to the shoulder. "Why don't we go check on your pegasus and talk about specifics for how we'll handle this, alright?"

"Okie dokes," Doug replied, putting down his tea cup and heading outside. Waiting for him was his pegasus Oldtimer, tied up to a post outside the manor. The rider checked over his steed for any injuries from the last battle while the peg stood still while chewing a weed.

"So bascally, we play bodyguard, let the nobles meet up with their friends, gt them back to their castles, and be on our merry way? We didn't do too bad for ourselves."

Niko frowned as he tossed a small object back and forth between his hands. "I hope it's that easy. I'm just... worried it will be like last time." He looked down at the object he was tossing, revealing it to be a small carved wooden statue in the shape of a curled up dragon. It had been a present from his parents when he was young, and he had kept it with him ever since. "Look... You need to promise me something, alright? If... If something happens, and we're about to... you know. You need to get out. Find my parents, tell them what happened, but get out. Alright?"

So soon after he was to begin? Graham let out a sigh, though he was inwardly relieved that he was in no need to pack his own things - it was more of a hassle than anything, really, to load up a suit of armour into a caravan properly. At least he could take solace in knowing exactly how to do so, however; Adele was not quite as adept at such things as she would readily admit.

"Very well. I had hoped to train a little before we left in the event of a conflict when we arrive, but if we're to leave already, then I won't waste the time." He would still keep the Over Flag close, however, in such an event.

Angus dutifully plucks the axes from the hay, considering the thought of confronting his liege about the prior battle. "As much as I'd like to, Princess, that doesn't seem likely to bear fruit. I'm not a tactician, knight, or even witness to it; certainly not his darling sister." He shakes his head, still not quite believing how close a call two crossbowmen could command. "You would be far more likely to persuade him, if even he still needs persuading; with any luck, today's events have reminded him of a little thing my superiors call delegation." Angus laughs heartily, remembering the many times he or another squire had been given a less-than-delightful job. "Speak of the devil--if this bothers you, don't ever fetch a horse yourself. Just trust me on that mark."

Jean wished that he didn't need to travel for longer, though. He had already done enough, and fighting takes even more out of you. Sigh. How he longed for the days without strife like the past.

At the very least, Jean had done some research, or what little he could, on the royalty of Wyke - he knew of this Prince Owen, at least. Not being briefed so much on the details, it is possible that Toulese firearms were negotiated with this very same person. It may be useful knowledge in the future.

Edited by Tryhard

"Hmph. I order you to confront my brother with your worries in my place." She could throw her weight around here and there when she thought it mattered, and honestly, she didn't want to play messenger for someone else's thoughts. "Far more likely or not, I'll only step in once you've tried, and only if you've failed. And that's final." She took her axe back, a bit disgusted by the residue on it, hopping over to one of the corpses and wiping it off on the dead soul's pants leg. "I suppose he may have learned his lesson, though if he hasn't, I'll still expect you to speak with him. I delegate the task to you." She'd said as much already, but she couldn't help herself on that one, giggling a bit. "Ah, but horses, whilst they may be rather dirty beasts, at least provide me a service that I find quite enjoyable... Old, moldy hay provides little but disgust."

The thing

"Right you are, miss! That there jacket will protect you from all sorts of stabs and spears! It won't keep any bachelors away though!"

Claire bought the leather armour!

Preparations

Not actually having packed, Owen's group were rather ready to go. Both the Count and Ebert seemed content with the arrangements, although the warnings of bandits to come was somewhat unsettling. The country road to their west was before them, the mid afternoon sun still hanging overhead. With a good four hours of sunlight remaining, the chances were they would be able to make some progress.

In Jeeves we trust

Not much after Adele's arrangements, Jeeves returned, signifying that everything was ready to go. "Everything is prepared, Lady Adeltrudis. All your equipment and supplies have been packed. I do so hope we do not come across any other ruffians, I would prefer not to stitch any more tunics this evening."

Edited by Shin

Niko frowned as he tossed a small object back and forth between his hands. "I hope it's that easy. I'm just... worried it will be like last time." He looked down at the object he was tossing, revealing it to be a small carved wooden statue in the shape of a curled up dragon. It had been a present from his parents when he was young, and he had kept it with him ever since. "Look... You need to promise me something, alright? If... If something happens, and we're about to... you know. You need to get out. Find my parents, tell them what happened, but get out. Alright?"

"Uh...OK," Doug said as he took the wooden statue. He really couldn't say much more than that. He was a bit concerned that, should Niko continue thinking like this, they may never get another job.

"Are you OK to do this? Worrying like this is probably going to freak out the rich kids."

Things got quick

With nothing more to say, Owen's group pressed onwards, continuing their journey. Things were rather peaceful for an hour or two, the countryside feeling rather distant from the bandit-riddled village. Something was amiss though, they were approaching Dettard's lands yet there was not a guard to be seen. Not even at the bridge on its border. As they crossed, things soon became rather apparent - it was an ambush.

Hidden in the forests were an impressive collection of ruffians and crooks, brandishing their weapons at Owen and his group. On the bridge stood a muscular woman, surrounded by her group of thugs. Smirking as she peered at Owen, she beckoned her men towards the prince.

"That's the one! Urien's group must have failed, but we can get the prince for ourselves! Kill his underlings and rough him up a bit! I want him alive!"

Chapter 2: Greetings at the Bridge

Objective - Defeat Hilde

b33c764bdec5a308c6359abc0ad91182.png

SPREADSHEET

Meanwhile

Several miles behind Owen's trail, Adele and her group had a fair journey ahead of them. Jeeves appeared to know the area well, commenting on the landmarks as they passed.

"Master Graham, there's a young noble you may get along with near by. Count Alleun is only a few years older than yourself. His father was a good friend of Duke Herman, despite their differences in status."

Edited by Shin

They had been travelling for a decent while, with Jeeves pointing out landmarks along the way... of course, something seemed of a bit more import than the local Count to Adele... specifically the signs of battle, still relatively fresh.

"Forget that for now, Jeeves. The ground is littered with the corpses of brigands and other ruffians. There was a battle here." Adeltrudis noted, as she rode up to one of the locals.

"Excuse me, Sir. Might you know of what happened, here? Who was fighting?"

Walking was ever so trite, but things were to be shaken up shortly. No guards, and more bandits. Something was definitely going on with this Dettard, and Cass was having none of it. "More bandits, ugh! You don't suppose we'll find another ruffian who wishes to join our side, hmm?" Rather annoyed with all the lowlifes trying to get in their way, Cass spotted one sneaking about the treeline to their left, and readied her hand axe. Alright, you can do this. Angus taught you how, and it can't be that hard! Just smack him with it!

Cass to 3,5, Hand axe dat Merc #1 on 4,4

Edited by Snake Mom

Lionel had remained fairly quiet throughout the end of their dealings with Alleun, mostly in thought, about the Dettard boy and how this could change dealings in the Kingdom at large.

However their travels had yet again been interrupted by bandits, no guards to be seen in the Dettards lands either thus far, "This only seems to confirm our suspicions"

"Alright!" Lionel suddenly stated to Owen's group at large. "Keep your wits up, try not to stray too far from each other, and keep an eye on their commander."

Before moving to his destination, he looked swiftly around the border, as if he were expecting to see familiar faces.

Move to be put into play depending on how Cass does and will be done later.

Edited by Jedi