Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 1

Shin

First there was Angus, and then there was this moron. "So instead of getting out safely, you decide to try and rob me." What a fucking idiot. "Good choice, good choice. There's only one slight problem with that..."

Claire to (7,15), Fire the Thief

Edited by SB.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Claire moves to 7,15!

Claire attacks Thief #1 with Fire!
11 Atk, 68% Hit, 9% Crit
(45 49)
Claire deals 11 damage! (9/20 HP remaining)

Claire gains 13 XP!
Claire gains 1 Tome WEXP!
Niko casts Elfire on Baleros!
17 Atk, 100% Hit, 1% Crit
(85 75)
Niko deals 17 damage! (2/70 HP remaining)

Niko gains 18 XP!
Niko gains 1 Tome WEXP!
Edited by Shin

With the horrible monster man trundling over to the group, Cass wanted no part of it, finally making it into arms length of Angus. But as long as the beast roamed, she had little time for her anger, storming over to their vassal and healing him instead, because he was going to need to be in the best shape possible for what was coming.

Cass to 14,6, Heal Angus

Oh.

So that was the beast.

That towering monster of man. The one that was finally before Owen's own eyes and did not make him question how the human body could become that gargantuan at all.

"What." The word came out in a monotone as Owen drew his sword out, taking a step back --and almost losing footing as he'd stepped at the pool's edge. That wasn't smart. "Hell, Adele, what is that?" Doubtful, Owen observed as the beast took hit after hit, its monstrous bulk showing stamina beyond what he'd expect of a normal man; his gut told him that taking a blow from the beast's hammer would be an experience best passed. Was it even possible to close in?

Magical fire dealt a powerful hit to the beast and Owen felt a doubtless sign of pain in its roars. It took staring back at the man --and what mad eyes he had-- to convince himself that they weren't facing some invincible behemoth. Unlike his usual dueling posture, Owen wielded his sword two-handed, pointing at the beast as he slowly moved towards the chaos. One... one blow, I can't mess this up, or I'm done for. Gulping the last of his hesitation, Owen made a bold charge towards the gargantuan man.

Owen to (14,8), finish Baleros with a stab? (iron sword)

Edited by Xinnidy

Jean moves to 16,15!

Jean introduces Thief #1 to his Iron Lance!
(3 75)
Thief #1 dies!

Jean gains 37 XP!
Jean gains 2 Lance WEXP!
Jean finds a bunch of stuff!

Jean grows to level 6!
(5 49 1 84 71 46 21 74)
HP up!
Magic up!
Defense up!

Cass moves to 14,16!

Cass heals Angus!

Cass gains 15 XP!

Cass gains 2 Staff WEXP!

Owen moves to 14,8!

Owen slays Baleros with a mighty jab!
Owen gains 100 XP!
Owen gains 2 Sword WEXP!
Owen acquires the Strange Vial!

Owen grows to level 7!
(44 46 58 38 81 60 19 21)
HP up!
Skill up!
Luck up!
Defense up!
Resistance up!

MAP COMPLETE

Baleros let out a mighty howl as Owen drove his sword though his chest, the weapon barely long enough to pass out the other side. Stumbling backwards, Baleros clutched his chest, blood pouring from the wound. It was a horrendous sight, the beast of a man falling to the ground in a pool of his own blood. However, he did not remain still. The beast began dragging himself across the floor away from Owen and his men, grunting with every sweep of his arms. It wasn't clear initially, but he halted as soon as he reached the remains of his keeper.

Extending his arm one last time, Baleros made the most coherent noise that Owen's forces had heard during the entire battle.

"Ceth... el..."

The beast's arm dropped, his entire form still. Baleros had been slain.

With Dettard unconscious and his forces defeated, Owen had emerged victorious from the battle. However, that was not without is consequences. Oddly enough, the body of Doug was missing from the pool room - the young man seemed to have moved himself outside.

Chapter 4 Completed - 11 turns!

Dettard defeated/Baleros defeated/Garath fled

[spoiler=BEXP rewards]

Owen gains 40 BEXP!

Owen grows to level 8!

(3 83 15 56 35 38 25 27)

HP up!

Skill up!

Speed up!

Luck up!

Resistance up!

Cass gains 30 BEXP!

Cass grows to level 8!

(47 48 16 36 75 22 33 48)

HP up!

Magic up!

Luck up!

Defense up!

Lionel gains 80 BEXP!

Lionel grows to level 7!

(15 2 62 24 95 22 55 32)

HP up!

Strength up!

Skill up!

Luck up!

Angus gains 60 BEXP!

Claire gains 90 BEXP!

Claire grows to level 7!

(88 54 46 65 38 94 92 98)

Magic up!

Speed up!

Gerrard gains 80 BEXP!

Gerrard grows to level 7!

(91 20 44 57 23 19 80 13)

Strength up!

Speed up!

Luck up!

Resistance up!

Adele gains 70 BEXP!

Niko gains 60 BEXP!

Niko grows to level 12!

(6 64 25 51 28 94 14 18)

HP up!

Magic up!

Speed up!

Defense up!

Resistance up!

Doug gains 100 BEXP!

Doug grows to level 7!

(74 42 33 3 96 41 35 26)

HP up!

Strength up!

Skill up!

Resistance up!

Jean gains 80 BEXP!

Jean grows to level 7!

(79 84 9 57 49 85 55 31)

Magic up!

Sidney gains 80 BEXP!

Sidney grows to level 7!

(82 28 35 14 37 49 14 5)

Strength up!

Skill up!

Speed up!

Luck up!

Defense up!

Resistance up!

Jeeves, Ermin and Zadkie-... never mind!

Andromeda gains 50 BEXP!

Andromeda reaches level 4!

(59 37 10 29 94 75 13 89)

HP up!

Strength up!

Magic up!

Skill up!

Defense up!

Graham gains 40 BEXP!

All players are free to act!

As the monster of a man fell, Niko turned, not even paying attention to the rest of the group and rushed out after Doug. Well, rushed as fast as his own wounds would let him. There he found a massacre. Three of their own down, another barely holding on, and Doug next to Jeeves. Slowly he walked over to Doug. "Are... are you alright?"

Angus gasps raggedly, hardly believing his eyes. [Of all the foolhardy--no. He's gone. It worked. Just tell them, man.] He rights himself, barking for Owen's attention.

"My prince! I received some urgent intelligence; the throne room is trapped as the forest was. I most strongly recommend we give it a wide berth until Sidney may arrive. Second, Baleros was carrying some sort of vial, which Dettard apparently found of import. The commander escaped as well, sire." The haggard warrior feels his side, noticing... a distinct lack of pain. It doesn't take long for him to realize why.

"Cassandra. I... I'm glad you're safe." The squire is both furious and relieved, but after such a vicious battle, his words come across vacant and tired.

Claire held her breath as the giant hit the floor, half-expecting him to get to his feet again. The ensuing scene wasn't exactly comfortable to watch either, and it was only when Baleros finally laid still that she realised that her breathing hadn't started again quite yet. But he was dead now, and the battle was over. Thankfully, she was in better shape than she'd been after the previous battle. She spotted the axe-wielding mooncalf on the other side of the room, and she had business with him.

"Angus!" she yelled, storming over to him. "What were you thinking, running in alone like that? You could've died!" Her hands flailed around as she spoke - half due to frustration and half to emphasise how stupid Angus' actions had been. She'd become vaguely aware of Owen and Cassandra's presence, but after he pulled stunt like that, she didn't really care. "All we needed to do was to regroup and take him down before he could get too close." Her speech had slowed slightly, as if she was trying to lecture a child. "So why, for whatever reason, did you decide to charge after him alone and risk him cornering you? Do you have a death wish? Or were you just trying to show off?"

The axe-wielding mooncalf shrugs, scraping the worst of the blood and grime off his favored weapon. "He did; didn't matter. I wasn't at any real risk until the rest arrived, and even if I was, who cares?" He finally looks up, one battered tool putting another away. "That's our duty; save that ire for the people who actually put necks that matter on the line, eh?" The tactic had value, Angus wasn't dead, and no viable opportunities were forfeited. He couldn't understand Claire's concern.

Edited by Terrador

"How can you be so indifferent about this?" If she was mad before, she was livid now. "It's. Your. Life." she spat. "Our job is to protect the prince and princess - NOT to kill ourselves doing it." How can anyone be this thick? How is it possible?

Angus gestures flatly at himself, almost starting to find the situation amusing. "Well, will you look at that, I live to fight another day!" He lets loose a chuckle at his own joke. "I fought 'im, I lived, and I'd hazard I did more good than I would've trampling grunts. Y'done?" He chuckles once again, a bit more protracted this time; for all his bluster, the stress of fighting that giant was gladly seen off.

"A man... presumably." Adeltrudis replied, before Owen charged him. Adele had been about to reach out to stop the Prince, but she saw the fire in his eyes as he moved, and saw the weakened state of the beast. Biting her lip as Owen moved out of reach for her to grab, the young Lady Herman prepared herself to tackle the Prince aside, were the behemoth to survive and strike back, but it seemed that such an action was not necessary, as Baleros fell. Wiping the sweat from her brow, Adele walked up to Owen and placed a firm yet friendly hand on his shoulder, giving it a squeeze.

"Well, it's over... for now. I have no doubt that poor Angus will wish he were born deaf, by the time Cassandra and Claire are finished with him..." The noble noted, trying to lighten the mood with a bit of humour. This was certainly a hard-fought campaign, though the young Noblewoman knew not yet the true cost it had exacted... not yet.

The beast had fallen, thanks to none other than her brother, but Cass wasn't feeling any joy from the victory. All she was doing was shaking still, staff almost breaking in her grip. Why didn't he listen? Why did he throw himself away like that? This stupid, idiotic, stubborn, moron...!

[i wasn't at any real risk until the rest arrived, and even if I was, who cares?"]

What? Cass looked up at Angus on his horse, casually cleaning his weapon, not a worry in the world. His smug face over defeating the beast, the attitude he displayed like he'd done nothing wrong...

"Who cares?" Cass asked after Claire was finished berating Angus. "Who cares!?" She let her staff drop, trembling. Suddenly, she grasped furiously at the boy's leg, wrenching him uncomfortably from his horse and onto the floor. She'd healed him; he could handle a bit of pain. And after the struggle of getting him down there she grabbed him by his tattered shirt and lifted him up, straight to her face. "I CARE!" That was all she could manage to bark out, her voice cracking before the anger broke to sadness. The tears streamed out, her face scrunching up between scowling at him and sobbing. "You... Y-You idiot... Why would you ask, wh-who cares?"

It doesn't matter if I can have you replaced in a day, you stupid boy... Cass let him drop, wiping her face on her arm, and taking slow steps towards the exit of the castle. I won't care about them, if they're just some soldier, some peon from father's courts. She'd been riding such a battle high, but now, all she wanted to do was climb into a cart and go home. You're my 0idiot, and you have to live. She couldn't just up and leave the castle though, not without everyone else. So she found herself sitting by the edge of the pool, knees curled up and held, staring at the water. "What a fool... And stop crying, Cassandra... You're better, than this..."

Edited by Melissa

An adrenaline rush left Owen catching his breath as Baleros hit the ground, watching in terror as the man still moved despite the bloody wounds, though not to fight back. As Owen observed, a glimpse of sanity seemed to hit the hulking berserk as he crawled back to the remains of another man --family? acquaintance? Owen didn't catch the story, but it didn't matter anymore--. The hulking man uttered a name and finally succumbed to his wounds. A giant had fallen. Owen's heartbeat slowly normalized.

Owen tensed a bit as he felt a hand to his shoulder, holding firm; he turned to face Adele. "Oh, I'm sorry." Owen relaxed his body, "I guess it was a bit too risky, huh?" He looked back at his bloody sword; it wouldn't do to have it sheathed now, he'd have to clean it first. Owen brought himself to smile at Adele's comment for a moment, until his own sister proved them true. Maybe too true. "I... goodness." His eyes followed Cassandra as she left the hall, and turned to Angus. "Uh... I'll get a hold of Sidney soon, thank you for the insight." Owen didn't really know what to say at this point. Maybe a warning was too much? "...I am glad you're alive as well. I understand the circumstances were exceptional, but you almost threw your life, and our chances weren't certain if you did."

Angus flinched at Cassandra's voice. [And here comes my death.] He was ready for anger, that was expected. A reprimand, even a discharge, wouldn't have been entirely unexpected, either; he did break from the other troops, after all. Even the iron grip that dragged him from his steed wasn't an incredible surprise. The tears, though... Engel above, the tears...! Angus collapsed after the princess' brief (if gut-wrenching) fit, only finding his feet again upon being addressed by his liege. The boy's voice breaks slightly as he responds.

"O-of course, my prince. By your leave." Angus clicks his tongue twice, beckoning his steed to follow him down the hall, only to find... [Of course. She can't not hear Agro--dammit, man, do you say something? Do you let her be?] He stands behind Cassandra for several aching moments, all but frozen. Finally, he reaches into his pocket for a bronze token, flicking it into the princess' lap.

"Could you weigh coin against my life?", he asks, knowing full well the answer. "It's th'same. I'm sorry." He continues down the hall... an unfortunate decision, if there ever was one. Angus had hardly thought of who was present and who was not, but he quickly recognized his comrades on the ground. Zadkiel. Ermin. Jeeves. Doug. The squire crumples in disbelief, nearly sick to his stomach. His shock is quickly supplanted by a howling, indignant rage, the kind that evoked the image of his terrible foe.

"Wh... What?! HOW! This place was clear! You were routing the last guard!! Wh... I... You... WHAT BUSINESS DO YOU HAVE DYING?!" The squire retches on the keep's steps, but this hardly slows him. "Couldn't you *urp* at least hold them?! Then I could... I could have helped..." The weight of Angus' sins drives him into the ground yet further. "I could have... stayed."

Edited by Terrador

Niko turned and glared at Angus. "Their mages almost killed Doug and their doors trapped the others outside against reinforcements. They did their best and you dishonor them by yelling at them? What business do you have completely ignoring their efforts here. Do you think that any of them wanted to die? That they wanted to be trapped outside? Be thankful that there are still some of them alive."

Just walk by leave me alone I don't want to talk to anyone right now especially not you Angus you stupid idiot just-- The coin hit her leg and she flinched a bit, glancing at him, and taking a moment to think over his metaphor. She got it, as much as it didn't make her feel any better. At least he'd apologized, but it didn't make up for how he'd acted. I just... I, just... Cass sighed, crumpling up further. This was not how today was supposed to go.

And it wasn't about to be getting any better. Angus began to shout, outside; she could hear that much from inside, even back up at the pool. What is he going on about now... Who died? She sighed, picked herself up, and slowly walked to the gates to see the mess. It was gruesome, but there wasn't anyone she'd seen that she especially cared abo-- "J-Jeeves?" Wh-What, no... He's old, but... He's a skilled fighter, he wouldn't have... "J-Jeeves...!" Cass ran over to where Doug and Niko had gathered gently nudging the elderly gentleman. "P-Please, you can't die like this, not... Not laid out on the field, you... Y-You have to go at home, peacefully, I... Oh, what about Graham and Adele? You can't... Y-You can't leave them, Jeeves!" She'd started crying again. The feeling of loss wasn't something that had ever weighed heavily on Cass, but she'd never been in the middle of such a fight, either.

She'd dropped her staff back in the keep, but Jeeves' was nearby. She scrambled for it, and started pouring what magic she could into him. "Please, please, Jeeves... Pleheheheeease...!" She sucked back tears, keeping the stream of magic going, for whatever good it was doing.

The squire weeps, tearing through his belt for the Vulnerary. Zadkiel's medicine. He hurls it away, unable to speak; though he did not know them well, these men were his own. Doug was still alive, and Jeeves, in truth, was nearly dead anyway, but that did not soothe his conscience. The ground laid claim to his skull, and the world became an abyss to him.

-----

Four winters ago. Angus drinks around a campfire with a half-dozen of his seniors, thrilled to even be present. The bitter winds do not dissaude him, or any of his fellows; after all, suffering for its own sake was a common test of fortitude. Talk of busty barmaids and foppish nobles was shelved for now as the fledgling knights spoke of the nature of it. Of everything, really; the world, humanity, religion, and now knighthood. Their vows were clear, but every page knew that their duties, should they see knighthood, would extend far beyond them.

Angus was too soused to remember who spoke of it, but something from that knight always stuck with him.

"The way I figure it, we're responsible for everyone, aren't we?" He did remember that one wasn't a fan of the strong stuff, for whatever reason. "As knights, and especially as cavalry. There's nobody who can do more than us, so there's nobody more suited for bringing our men home and keeping our women safe." The page, son of Kearney, did not stay awake for long after that, but those words chased him into his dreams and molded his very being.

-----

Angus rises, witnessing the storm of activity around Jeeves. He wipes his face roughly with his sleeve, slouching over on the off chance that he could be of any use, but he quickly recognized the lack of injuries. [Too much excitement, of all things. I suppose there was no avoiding it.] The squire sits, more collected now, resting one hand on the bawling Princess' shoulder and another on the old man's leg.

"They're all alive, oldtimer. Owen, Adele, Jean. Nobody died in that keep." That truth was bitterly contrasted with the bloodbath outside, but Angus had one last remark for the passing soul. "You fought nobly. Sleep well."

Edited by Terrador

Hearing much sudden sound, Sidney peaked towards the castle, approaching as if she hadn't left. Victory had been achieved, but not without loss, some taking it worse than others. "Hi..." she started off, not entirely sure who she wanted to talk to, eventually deciding the prince was the wisest. "Is there anything I need to be doing now, prince?" the thief asked. "If not, I'd rather not stay here for that long... this sort of stuff, it's not for me." She brushed a bit of hair out of her eyes, aware of the tense feeling in the air but not particularly in the position to do anything about it. "I'll be, I dunno, somewhere quiet if you need me I guess."

Gerrard had been leaned up against one of the trees in an attempt to not aggravate his wounds. He had barely survived, and even then it had been at a very large cost. Ermin and Zadkiel had both all but sacrificed themselves and Jeeves had finally pushed himself passed his limit in order to give Ermin a fighting chance. Even though he'd done everything he could Gerrard couldn't help but feel it was partially his fault. If only I'd been stronger! Slowly, he made his way over to Angus and the princess, his head lowered and his gaze locked onto the ground. "After the gates closed a group of horsemen caught us unaware and we suffered for it," Gerrard offered as an explanation. "I'm sorry."

Edited by Oersted

As the monster of a man fell, Niko turned, not even paying attention to the rest of the group and rushed out after Doug. Well, rushed as fast as his own wounds would let him. There he found a massacre. Three of their own down, another barely holding on, and Doug next to Jeeves. Slowly he walked over to Doug. "Are... are you alright?"

Doug watched as Jeeves gave a smile and closed his eyes. The butler would have the most gentle death of them all, and in a battlefield of all places. Not a bad way to go, considering. Doug soon noticed Niko had joined his side. The battle must have been over.

"I'll live, I guess," Doug replied, though he felt odd about having conversation in front of a man who just seemingly died. It became more awkward once Cass showed up.

"Better give them space," Doug said to Niko, expecting the rest of the group to huddle around their fallen comrade. The rider made an attempt to crawl away, though the scowls upon his face showed that this wasn't an easy task.

Cass weakly shrugged off Angus' hand, knowing full well that no amount of magic was about to bring someone back from death. She clutched the old man's staff tightly, slowly raising herself up, knees weak as she tried to stand. "N-No, Doug... It's... It's alright. Gerrard, y-you too. It, it's fine." Her hair had fallen in front of her face but she made no motion to brush it away. "I... I need, to take care of the w-wounded, right? I'm our healer, s-so... Where does it, hurt? D-Doug, Niko, Ger, Gerrard?" She sniffled, wiping her eyes behind her hair, looking between them all, finally pushing her hair away. Her eyes were fairly bloodshot, but she seemed to have calmed down, enough that she wasn't about to burst into crying. At least, not yet. The shock had worn off but the sadness was still there.

"I'm sure you'll all, f-feel better after getting patched up, so... Let me know, and I'll take care of it." She offered a weak smile, which faded fast, and looked down at the ground, avoiding the body of Jeeves, lest she be thrown over the edge again. "I'll get e-everyone else inside after, too."

Edited by Melissa

After the battle Andromeda hurried outside, desperate to see her allies once more. Nearly tripping down the stairs, she dropped her bow in horror as her allies came to view. She couldn't believe it, how could it be possible? Both Ermin and Zadkiel had fallen? It wasn't possible, it had to be some cruel trick of her eyes. Any moment now, she expected them to rise from the ground, Ermin asking to be nursed back to health by someone pretty and Zadkiel claiming he'd faced kittens who'd harmed him more.

Ermin, he'd been so young, so ambitious, he was a good boy at heart, always striving to make everyone around him proud. If only she'd been able to watch over him, keep him out of trouble a little longer. Staggering over to Zadkiel's body, Andromeda dropped to her knees, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Zadkiel, you weren't supposed to die!" she sobbed, her cool facade crumbling. "There were so many things I wanted to tell you... now I can never..."

-

Jeeves looked up wearily, his breathing still laboured. The butler gave a cough, blood dribbling from his mouth. "Princess Cassandra, I apologize for the lack of manners, I do not wish to distress you, but I feel my time has come." he replied, his face starting to grow paler. "You always made Lady Adeltrudis so happy, whenever she had a disagreement with her father, you were always there for her... you have my gratitude. Please continue to help her and Master Graham... I never had children of my own... they were the closest I had to family... even if I only was their butler. Lord Gerrard fought superbly, I am glad that he was able to survive..."

Cass' heal staff flashed as she frantically tried to heal the fading butler, although to no avail. No matter how hard she tried or how many times, it did not make a difference. Jeeves smiled, his aged face looking somewhat comfortable.

"Do not worry, Princess. The pain has faded, I am numb all over. Your healing magic is superb, but there is not a magic... nor a medicine that I know of that can prove triumphant against time. Master Kearney, those words give me great comfort... I have lived a long life, I am grateful for everything I had... although I wish I could have had a few more months..."

Jeeves' breathing became more laboured, fear spreading across his face. Death was staring him right in the eyes. Graham stood quietly, averting his eyes from the elderly butler. There were so many things the young fighter felt... but he couldn't process his emotions in his head, let alone put them into words. The bear cub approached Angus, resting at the side of his leg, as if it knew what were happening - it had only lost its own mother a few days before.