New english name for a character revealed?

Water Mage

Sorry, it's just that we discovered the name Llewellyn because D.C. Douglas said he was going to voice that character in Fates alongside Guther.

Again, sorry if came of rude.

If you want I can show some clips of D.C. Douglas, to see if helps predict who Llewellyn is going to be.

Ehh at this point im almost used to people assuming im some massive weeb, sits around and plays EVERY GAME EVER or something. But there are times its a bit annoying because its really obvious im not if you've been here awhile and seen me post.

Anyway, listening to the samples, yeah ok its not likely Foleo. In fact, that sounds like it wouldnt even be a playable. Probably a villain? The guy is already voicing a somewhat major character thats a playable. (Gunther) Soo..there ya go.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh at this point im almost used to people assuming im some massive weeb, sits around and plays EVERY GAME EVER or something. But there are times its a bit annoying because its really obvious im not if you've been here awhile and seen me post.

Anyway, listening to the samples, yeah ok its not likely Foleo. In fact, that sounds like it wouldnt even be a playable. Probably a villain? The guy is already voicing a somewhat major character thats a playable. (Gunther) Soo..there ya go.

Again, I apologize, it was unfair of me, I was really rude.

Anyway, back on topic,

Honestly, I can see him voicing Zero.

Bit of an unusual name, but it isn't the first time localizers have given us nearly unpronounceable names (looking at you Yllise from Awakening). I'm not quite sure who Llewellyn is. Zero, Benoit and Ignis make perfect sense given D.C's voice, but Foleo makes sense it terms of meaning. Who knows.

Excited to hear D.C. as Gunter, he's perfect for the big guy.

Again, it's definitely not Foleo's name, even if the name does fit, D.C's voice and Foleo's appearance and personality just don't match. It would sound incredibly awkward to hear his voice coming out of Foleo's mouth.

I think Zero is the most likely candidate

Again, it's definitely not Foleo's name, even if the name does fit, D.C's voice and Foleo's appearance and personality just don't match. It would sound incredibly awkward to hear his voice coming out of Foleo's mouth.

I think Zero is the most likely candidate

Yeah, D.C. Douglas is quite known for his baritone voice, especially when he voices villains. Foleo is meant to be a guy that looks like a girl. If you ask me, you need a voice actor whose vocal range is androgynous enough to make Foleo sound feminine. Apparently, D.C. Douglas baritone voice doesn't fit the bill. If you ask me, Foleo is a character that would most likely be voiced by Lucien Dodge (well, that's the closest male voice actor that can pull a more feminine voice for Foleo in the L.A. area. Unfortunately, the voice actor that would have been perfect for Foleo actually works in Houston).

Another option is to have a woman voice Foleo, but that usually has mixed results since some characters that are voiced by a guy (like Foleo's case) in the Japanese version is voiced by a woman in the English dub (a good example is Konekomaru Miwa from Blue Exorcist is voiced by Yuki Kaji in the Japanese version, but voiced by Mona Marshall in the English dub). But I would rather have a man with a high-pitched and near feminine voice to voice Foleo in the English dub since Foleo is voiced by a guy in the Japanese version.

But yeah, judging by the name of "Llewellyn", it either most likely be a minor Nohrian villain, or Asyura.

Oh yeah, and if you are curious about Lucien Dodge vocal range in regards to Foleo, this is the closest clip I can find in Youtube.

Edited by Dark Paladin X

But yeah, judging by the name of "Llewellyn", it either most likely be a minor Nohrian villain, or Asyura.

My bet is Asyura, if only because Aqua's name has been localized to Azura and it would be really confusing if there was another unrelated character with a name with slightly different letters and almost no difference in pronunciation.

It's a lot more confusing than something like Kent vs. Pent and Legault vs. Renault.

Even if it's not who he's voicing, Asyura's name is not going to make it through the localization process.

Edited by HeoandReo

My bet is Asyura, if only because Aqua's name has been localized to Azura and it would be really confusing if there was another unrelated character with a name with slightly different letters and almost no difference in pronunciation.

It's a lot more confusing than something like Kent vs. Pent and Legault vs. Renault.

Even if it's not who he's voicing, Asyura's name is not going to make it through the localization process.

Asura is Hoshidan, right? I hope they'd go for a more Japanese name for him then, instead of ...Ll...Llyewlyn.

EDIT: Nevermind, he is Hoshidan, but I was thinking of someone else...

Edited by L95

It would be unfortunate to find it was a just a minor villain after all of this! D:

However that sounds about right. If we hurr in 'Murica can't handle Suzukaze, I doubt they'd throw in Llywellyn for a player character. I hope this isn't the case, though.

It would be unfortunate to find it was a just a minor villain after all of this! D:

However that sounds about right. If we hurr in 'Murica can't handle Suzukaze, I doubt they'd throw in Llywellyn for a player character. I hope this isn't the case, though.

The thing is

I'm still not sure how to pronounce Kjelle

The thing is

I'm still not sure how to pronounce Kjelle

It is pronounced like 'chell' like cello or shell, I am not really sure.I know it is Swedish or something.

The thing isI'm still not sure how to pronounce Kjelle

Nobody knows. The closest real name is the Norwegian Kjell, a masculine name pronounced "shell".

The Japanese katakana for her Japanese name, "Degel" are pronounced "DEH-JEH-RU" so the English name might even have just changed the D to a K and made it "KEH-JELL" or "KUH-JELL".

The difference is that Llywelyn is a real name, and while obscure, it has a real pronunciation, unlike Kjelle, where IS just got really high creative.

Edited by gayserbeam

I'm not sure if Kjelle's localized name is supposed to be reflective of her Japanese name. Some characters just get a complete name change -- like Tiamo to Cordelia, or Xyst to Gerik in FE8, or Wayu to Mia in FE9/10. Kjelle looks like a feminine version of the name "Kjell", which as stated in the post above me is a real name, I'd just pronounce it like that.

Considering her armor is like a damn shell, it's fitting.

I always just pronounced Kjelle K-GEL-E because I assumed you pronounced the E lol.

EDIT: Getting back on topic. I still say Zero is the most likely candidate. The voice suits Zero and he is still Leo's subordinate, so they name makes sense based purely off the guy he serves

Edited by Soapbar

Could it the name of one the capturable bosses?

To those that played the game, were the voice actors for the capturables bosses named in the credits?

Or were credited anywhere else?

EDIT: Also, I can't I forgot this but in D.C. Douglas's page he is credited as:

Fire Emblem If (2016 video game) Gunther, Llewellyn, Additional Voices

Considering that he's also doing "Additional Voices", it's very unlikely that Llewellyn is a minor boss, otherwise, he wouldn't be listed as a separated name from "Additional Voices", granted "Additional Voices" could mean the generic soldiers, but I don't think a minor boss's voice actor would be credited, they weren't in Awakening.

Edited by Water Mage

Could it the name of one the capturable bosses?

To those that played the game, were the voice actors for the capturables bosses named in the credits?

Or were credited anywhere else?

EDIT: Also, I can't I forgot this but in D.C. Douglas's page he is credited as:

Fire Emblem If (2016 video game) Gunther, Llewellyn, Additional Voices

Considering that he's also doing "Additional Voices", it's very unlikely that Llewellyn is a minor boss, otherwise, he wouldn't be listed as a separated name from "Additional Voices", granted "Additional Voices" could mean the generic soldiers, but I don't think a minor boss's voice actor would be credited, they weren't in Awakening.

Good point. I hadn't considered that it already mentioned "additional voices." Nor had I heard about how they handled that in Awakening.

I suppose we can assume it's at least a supporting role.

Edited by Respite&Nepenthe