Series you wish were to discontinue

Magical CC

I doubt I'd see why it's popular. I've played through popular games I don't like more than once and still don't understand their popularity.

Also, this thread is about series you'd like seeing discontinued. I simply followed that topic. So how am I being "entitled" while no one else here is?

I've stated my opinion on the thread title and made my point clear; as it stands, wanting a game series to be cancelled because of your own personal opinion is entitled. Your post was the first one like that after the discussion about the thread title, so it was jarring. And a lot of people who replied before were along the lines of "I don't want this series to be cancelled, but a larger gap between games would be nice" or something along those lines.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People should stop like, overharping on this, as it only really got bad with Shadow, 06 and Secret Rings, the rest were mediocre then we got Unleashed to push us in the right direction, then for some reason after the awesomeness with Colors and Generations they decided to change it up with Lost World which was ok.

Then Sonic Team had nothing to do with Sonic Boom. But why is that getting a _3rd_ game.

Secret Rings wasn't even that bad. I got a hang of the controls pretty decently even without the power-ups that increased your control of Sonic. It was a pretty fun game (at least for me) after that.

I see a ton of people saying CoD and to that I'd have to say lol. I mean, I stopped playing after MW3 (because it was shit), but Classic to MW1 was pretty great and while they're still doing annual releases they've started swapping the series between 3 different Devs which gives Treyarch (the only CoD dev that matters) a maximum of 3 years to make a CoD game which is pretty good (although I question why Sledgehammer is on the rotation due to the aforementioned MW3)

Also Splatoon is really, really good from what I've heard.

It actually got my sister to play a shooting game online for once. That's an achievement considering she does not like shooting games at all.

Then Sonic Team had nothing to do with Sonic Boom. But why is that getting a _3rd_ game.

The Sonic Boom cartoon is actually really good and I enjoyed every single episode that has been released so far. So good in fact that it's universally praised by the fans of the Sonic community. So why not take another chance to make another Sonic Boom game.

Edited by kingddd

I've stated my opinion on the thread title and made my point clear; as it stands, wanting a game series to be cancelled because of your own personal opinion is entitled. Your post was the first one like that after the discussion about the thread title, so it was jarring. And a lot of people who replied before were along the lines of "I don't want this series to be cancelled, but a larger gap between games would be nice" or something along those lines.

???

I really don't think Ana's was the first, considering like ten people said Call of Duty with little or no expansion as well as any other game series mentioned. I may have said that a larger gap would be nice, but others clearly said exactly what you're accusing.

Every game I don't play

More or less what I'm seeing is "I don't like this series therefore I wish it would stop being made."

Honestly if I don't like a game, it doesn't mean others won't, or don't. So, even if a game isn't my cup of tea, if others enjoy it, even one person, and the company wishes to continue making it, then they should go for it.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I understand what you were saying was a joke, hence the strike out, I was just saying I see that a lot.

Also goodness I'm seeing a few "Fire Emblem is doing things I don't like, so it needs to die." If you don't like it, neat, but saying it's bad, as if it's a fact, because you don't like it, is silly.

Edited by Deviddo

I didn't read through the entire thread before posting, so I didn't know of this discussion. Still, I answered the thread topic and that's that. Deal with it.

Also, why would someone want something they don't like to be continued? That makes zero sense.

Secret Rings wasn't even that bad. I got a hang of the controls pretty decently even without the power-ups that increased your control of Sonic. It was a pretty fun game (at least for me) after that.

I like the story and the power ups, but some of the later stages are a bit messy with the control scheme imo.

The Sonic Boom cartoon is actually really good and I enjoyed every single episode that has been released so far. So good in fact that it's universally praised by the fans of the Sonic community. So why not take another chance to make another Sonic Boom game.

The cartoon is good yes, but the games thus far... Um... yeah, it makes me wonder how a SATam game would have gone back in the 90's actually.

Also, why would someone want something they don't like to be continued? That makes zero sense.

Because it's obvious that some people at least get some enjoyment out of it - while you can definitely say that you do want a series to end, he is somewhat right in saying that it seems self-important and selfish. Whether you care about being perceived as those things is up to you.

There may be some series that I say I can't understand why people like them, but I don't believe they should stop existing on an intellectual level.

The cartoon is good yes, but the games thus far... Um... yeah, it makes me wonder how a SATam game would have gone back in the 90's actually.

Yeah there isn't much hope with the new Sonic Boom games but you never know until they actually attempt to try.

Edited by kingddd

Uh, why should I care about what others like and don't like?

Because you're announcing that you (and not just you, pretty much a lot in this topic etc) wish to make others unhappy by denying them something they enjoy, and that reflects badly on yourself. If you don't give a fuck about other people's likes, then you don't give a fuck, I'm just telling you that's what it comes off as. I couldn't actually care less if you ranted for yonks about how you don't like X series, but to say you want the series to die is a bit far.

I really don't want to argue any further on this, so I'm out.

Edited by Tryhard

Yeah there isn't much hope with the new Sonic Boom games but you never know until they actually attempt to try.

We'll see. I just hope when Sonic Team actually does a new project (and people should learn its Big Red Button behind Boom not ST) it'll be in the Unleashed/Colors/Generations style that worked so well.

Sonic Team, you have four options:

1. Make a sequel to Sonic Colors.

2. Remake Sonic Adventure 1/2.

3. Give the Sonic and NiGHTS IPs to Nintendo.

4. Remake Chu Chu Rocket for 3DS.

We'll see. I just hope when Sonic Team actually does a new project (and people should learn its Big Red Button behind Boom not ST) it'll be in the Unleashed/Colors/Generations style that worked so well.

Well the Sonic Boom 3DS games aren't developed by BRB so that's something to consider.

Sonic Team, you have four options:

1. Make a sequel to Sonic Colors.

2. Remake Sonic Adventure 1/2.

3. Give the Sonic and NiGHTS IPs to Nintendo.

4. Remake Chu Chu Rocket for 3DS.

I'd rather not have Colors get a sequel since Colors was pretty dull despite being good, I liked Unleashed and Generations much more.

Edited by Jedi

I didn't read through the entire thread before posting, so I didn't know of this discussion. Still, I answered the thread topic and that's that. Deal with it.

???

I really don't think Ana's was the first, considering like ten people said Call of Duty with little or no expansion as well as any other game series mentioned. I may have said that a larger gap would be nice, but others clearly said exactly what you're accusing.

Ana wasn't the first, true; but as I said, it was made especially jarring after the recent discussion in the thread.

So, I should've made it a bit more clear, but everybody who's commented on this thread only to answer the topic question is acting entitled. I really wish the title was changed or re-rephrased to something that invited a bit more discussion.

I'd rather not have Colors get a sequel since Colors was pretty dull despite being good, I liked Unleashed and Generations much more.

Same here, I've always thought colors was a good game, but I much more enjoyed Unleashed and Generations. I never really thought Unleashed was a bad game simply because of the Werehog, either. I never really played Lost World, but is it accurate to say the Wisps are there just because?

I generally agree with the sentiment that I don't want any series to end as long as there's people who enjoy it. I can also understand why some people say certain series could use a break, particularly in the case of Sonic where it feels more like a mercy killing. However, I don't think Sonic needs to die, since SEGA has proven they're still capable of making good Sonic games (Colors, Generations), and I would rather have them go back to making stuff like that rather than give up completely. Or let someone else competent enough handle it. How cool would a Sonic game developed by Nintendo be? I'd play it, for sure.

On Splatoon, I'm not sure why Ana hates it so much to the point she wants the series to end and make its two million (and counting) fans miserable when she hasn't even played the game. But I have my ideas on why the game is popular:

1.- There's literally no game like it on any system, Nintendo or not. The shooter genre is filled with clones and series that barely change with every entry, so seeing Splatoon hanging around the Call of Duties, the Battlefields and the Gears of War, it definitely tends to stick out.

2.- The character design is very appealing. You could argue this is a matter of opinion, and it is, but the fact that so much fan art for the game exists is a testament to how much fans love the Inklings. Just look at how cute they are. Side note, but Splatoon was considered to be Mario Paintball at one point, and I REALLY doubt the game would have been as successful as it was had that been the case.

3.- The game is VERY accessible. It's really easy to get used to the controls and the interface is very simple. You can do everything on the Gamepad touchscreen while on the Hub, which is a huge convenience since you don't have to constantly walk out of a store to check another one, or go to the Equip screen. Also, I love the mechanic where you touch your teammate in the Gamepad and you Super Jump towards him/her. That's brilliant.

If there's people who want Splatoon to die, they're in for a rude awakening because I don't see that happening any time soon. I'm fully expecting a sequel at NX launch (or at least an enhanced port), more merchandising, spinoff games, and if Nintendo is serious about lending their properties to TV shows and movies, I can see Splatoon being among the chosen ones. The Squid Kids are here to stay and we might as well accept the fact.

On Splatoon, I'm not sure why Ana hates it so much to the point she wants the series to end and make its two million (and counting) fans miserable when she hasn't even played the game. But I have my ideas on why the game is popular:

Maybe because the game was somewhat overhyped at E3 last year?

But still, originality beats anything anyday.

But even then the overhype was well-founded given the game is a success now.

Fantastic post, Jave. But you didn't mention the extreme amount of COLOR in Splatoon. I think that's a massive selling point (it also makes the box art stick out more, which is always good).

Honestly I've had a lot more fun with splatoon then all the other Nintendo games that I have played for the last few years. It wasn't that overhyped. I remember when a significant amount of people were putting it down and they still are. A lot of them are indenial that it was a successful new IP and they probably will continue to think that way. It's no surprise that Nintendo really wanted to push this game since it was created by the Animal Crossing team and new devs at the same time so there was a lot of efforts to get the game onto the market and I felt they got it right. At the same time, I could not wait to see what holds for Star Fox 0 since that's being developed by the original Star Fox and F-Zero team.

I think my main problem with Ana's post is that she wants a series to die after 1 game, yet she hasn't played a minute of it? It's successful and a lot of people like it, so I think it's here to stay for a good while.

You raised some fantastic points too, Jave.