Series you wish were to discontinue

Magical CC

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conception...the game which you lay traps and combo the hell out of your enemies who you lured into your castle?

You're thinking of Deception.

Those seem fun, though the 4th one looks quite "anime"

Edited by Soledai

I want Pokemon to die. As someone who grew up and loved Pokemon all through Generations 1 to 5, I believe about every aspect of Gen 6 was a step in the wrong direction. As something so beloved from my youth, I'd want to grant it a peaceful death before it turns into a monster.

Okay- there are some things in Gen VI which are good (such as the fairy type) but I have to agree with you- Gen VI was a step in the wrong direction. I never played Gen I and II, Gen III was ok.... But I think Gen IV and Gen V was where it was at. If they had a Gen VII, I'd love a story which was as strong as Pokemon Whites combined with a region which is as good as Sinnoh- with more inverse battles (but that's just me). If things get worse in Gen VII, Game Freak should mercy kill Pokemon.

What else? CoD needs to die. The yearly sports games (e.g FIFA). Assassin's creed. 2D Mario platformers. Conception.

Also Nintendo needs to stop milking Mario and work on literally every other series, I mean Mario Maker looks promising, but gdi.

There haven't been all that many Mario games this gen, though (especially compared to previous gens).

Well, COD.

I wouldn't say Assassin's Creed needs to die, just take it off of yearly rotation. The series is very hit-and-miss, so putting out less of them should mean more effort would be spent to make them higher quality.

Okay- there are some things in Gen VI which are good (such as the fairy type) but I have to agree with you- Gen VI was a step in the wrong direction. I never played Gen I and II, Gen III was ok.... But I think Gen IV and Gen V was where it was at. If they had a Gen VII, I'd love a story which was as strong as Pokemon Whites combined with a region which is as good as Sinnoh- with more inverse battles (but that's just me). If things get worse in Gen VII, Game Freak should mercy kill Pokemon.

Gen VI felt like it appealed to the lowest common denominator. The EXP share becoming a key item killed the challenge and difficulty, granting you 3.5 times the EXP for each battle if turned on and with a full party. The fact that the new pokemon were pretty much thrown under the bus for the old ones screams "genwunner appeal". I don't see how Gen VII can get much worse than that; Pokemon's always been a fairly simple game (outside of breeding and competitive stuff). I think Gen VI would've been much better simply if there were significantly fewer Pokemon (200 instead of 450 in Kalos) and the EXP share wasn't the easy-mode switch.

Well, COD.

I wouldn't say Assassin's Creed needs to die, just take it off of yearly rotation. The series is very hit-and-miss, so putting out less of them should mean more effort would be spent to make them higher quality.

Gen VI felt like it appealed to the lowest common denominator. The EXP share becoming a key item killed the challenge and difficulty, granting you 3.5 times the EXP for each battle if turned on and with a full party. The fact that the new pokemon were pretty much thrown under the bus for the old ones screams "genwunner appeal" . I don't see how Gen VII can get much worse than that; Pokemon's always been a fairly simple game (outside of breeding and competitive stuff). I think Gen VI would've been much better simply if there were significantly fewer Pokemon (200 instead of 450 in Kalos) and the EXP share wasn't the easy-mode switch.

This. Y was really easy. Really, Really easy. And the variety of Gen VI Pokemon sucked- Gen V did have some weird (though that doesn't mean that they're bad) Pokemon, but the variety that Gen V offered was great, and the same with Gen IV (though the lack of fire Pokemon was bizarre). And yeah, the dex needs to be smaller- significantly smaller.

Pokemon

It's not because of Gen 6, though. I haven't even played X or Y, but I've seen enough of them to know that my biggest problem is still intact

The series refuses to change. Game mechanics are almost identical between generations. And there are dozens of unnecessary traditions that every Pokemon game carries on.

In every single Pokemon game, you get a fire/water/grass starter, have a rival with the type that has an advantage, go to 8 gyms to collect badges that allow you to use moves to progress while simultaneously fighting evil people who progress the story, and then fight 5 people at the Pokemon League to beat the game. It's not an awful formula, but the lack of variety is just flat out boring.

Also, every game has almost the exact same game mechanics. There are variations here and there, and while it's not completely necessary to change them, I'd at least like a little variation between games.

Also, some of the traditions between games are... kinda awful. I mean, I guess, some of those are up to taste, but the fact that the HM system is still intact despite having pretty much universally negative reception, and being easy to fix says something.

I don't necessarily think it should stop, but if it's just going to be the same shit over and over, then I'd honestly rather it did.

Edited by maybe

Fire Emblem. I'm serious, the way it is now is almost insulting to the name, imo.

Instead of tainting it, end it and let it keep its pride! Just please, create a new franchise.. (But enough of that,)

Some other franchises I wouldn't want to continue as of the current circumstances are basicly all Rareware franchises, especially Banjo-Kazooie and Conker.

Again, don't taint them, do something new. (They're doing an alright job at that so far, by the way.)

Now, I expected some people not wanting COD (or apparently shooters in general? Yo, don't be such weebs , Kappa ) to continue. I for one never played COD so it doesn't mean anything to me.

As a tip, just ignore it, really, it's not like it means/meant something to you, so why bother with it? : )

(In case it does mean something to you, because you're a fan of COD4, I apologize.)

Edited by Ragnar

Call of Duty.I hate that game.And it was the first game my brother had when he started to get distant from me.

Pokemon
It's not because of Gen 6, though. I haven't even played X or Y, but I've seen enough of them to know that my biggest problem is still intact
The series refuses to change. Game mechanics are almost identical between generations. And there are dozens of unnecessary traditions that every Pokemon game carries on.
In every single Pokemon game, you get a fire/water/grass starter, have a rival with the type that has an advantage, go to 8 gyms to collect badges that allow you to use moves to progress while simultaneously fighting evil people who progress the story, and then fight 5 people at the Pokemon League to beat the game. It's not an awful formula, but the lack of variety is just flat out boring.
Also, every game has almost the exact same game mechanics. There are variations here and there, and while it's not completely necessary to change them, I'd at least like a little variation between games.
Also, some of the traditions between games are... kinda awful. I mean, I guess, some of those are up to taste, but the fact that the HM system is still intact despite having pretty much universally negative reception, and being easy to fix says something.
I don't necessarily think it should stop, but if it's just going to be the same shit over and over, then I'd honestly rather it did.

I honestly play Pokemon due to the fact it hasn't changed.I dislike the meta game,but otherwise I'd still play it.Most people don't play it for the mechanics,anyway.

Now, I see some people not wanting COD (or apparently shooters in general? Yo, don't be such weebs , Kappa ). I for one never played COD so it doesn't mean anything to me.

Just ignore it, really, it's not like it means/meant something to you, so why bother with it? : )

(In case it does mean something to you, because you're a fan of COD4, I apologize.)

I have been a fan of Call of Duty since the original 2003 WWII shooter and at the time it was a phenomenal game. Unfortunately it fell into the Activision yearly release plague that affected all their other IPs ranging from Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero etc. Because of this, Activision constantly funded the game to the point of oversaturation in the market where there has to be one new game every year. Yes there have been spin offs even in the original WW2 series but most brushed them off until around the CoD5 era and up. I have played most of the games in the series until Black Ops 2 and while I loved the campaign in that game, I felt it needed a break at this point.

There comes at a time where you just need to stop and let the IP rest for a while before you start and crash the market.

I have been a fan of Call of Duty since the original 2003 WWII shooter and at the time it was a phenomenal game. Unfortunately it fell into the Activision yearly release plague that affected all their other IPs ranging from Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero etc. Because of this, Activision constantly funded the game to the point of oversaturation in the market where there has to be one new game every year. Yes there have been spin offs even in the original WW2 series but most brushed them off until around the CoD5 era and up. I have played most of the games in the series until Black Ops 2 and while I loved the campaign in that game, I felt it needed a break at this point.

There comes at a time where you just need to stop and let the IP rest for a while before you start and crash the market.

I don't know about crashing the market, but thing is, that Activision is still making money of something they don't need to put much effort in.

From a business standpoint it's gold so they won't stop unless people stop buying the games.

Edited by Ragnar

I don't have worse than FF, seriously, that series was good before, now it's just...

Lot of series that I don't like, but I don't want them to really end.

Conception...the game which you lay traps and combo the hell out of your enemies who you lured into your castle?

Conception, isn't that that crappy JRPG who's also a copy of Persona 4 ?

Wait, that was done by ATLUS ? Good mother of...

No, Altus just localized it.

I had interest in that game because it had Altus's name on it, but then I read the game's description and nearly threw up.

It's extremely rare that I'll completely abandon a game because the mechanics creeped me out. The last time I stopped playing a game due to creep factor was Baroque, but Baroque's creep factor was the "stuff out of bad dreams" creepy, not "stuff that objectifies women" creepy. Even if I don't like the former type of creepy, I don't think Baroque is a bad game because of it. If Baroque would've had it so that enemies don't do squat until you input an action (which is one of my favorite features in a roguelike), it would've been one of my favorite games.

Re: Pokemon - I could turn off EXP Share, and grind away on some other earlier route, and the game would still be easy (since exploiting weaknesses gives better results than being overleveled). The difference is that EXP Share makes the level gains faster. Furthermore, there's an option to turn it off immediately. So, like Awakening, my verdict is "great for those that want it".

Edited by eclipse

I don't know about crashing the market, but thing is, that Activision is still making money of something they don't need to put much effort in.

From a business standpoint it's gold so they won't stop unless people stop buying the games.

It may seem like gold but it's unfortunately a short term gold. There was a reason why they had to put Guitar Hero on hiatus and many of their other IPs being completely gone because they oversatured their games to the point that no one is interested in the franchise anymore. If Nintendo were to be releasing Mario Kart every single year would you actually be interested in the Mario Kart series? Not really. Even I started getting that feeling with the NSMB series. Sales for the game may have been high but having the same sequels over and over again makes people disinterested in the product.

Edited by kingddd

i would say sonic needs to take a break but it kind of already IS. sonic boom 3 is a spinoff so it doesn't really count. but yeah, sonic and mario are like the best game serieses ever but sega needs to take a break to decide what to do with sonic because theyre so confused really. mario is never disappointing except sticker star so pls nintendo never stop mario.

and sega keeps making new engines every 2 sonic games...just stay with one, sega! and learn how to do 3d again already...also sega has a lot of other game series theyve been ignoring now. is there such thing as a game company that listens to what fans say?

Even I started getting that feeling with the NSMB series. Sales for the game may have been high but having the same sequels over and over again makes people disinterested in the product.

but they were only 4 games, all on different systems...so they can have a 2d mario on all of them.

but they were only 4 games, all on different systems...so they can have a 2d mario on all of them.

There may have been only 4 NSMB but two of them were being released in the exact same year. NSMB2 and NSMBU. It also started the Nintendo rehash trend that has affected the fanbase's perception of what makes 2D Marios unique.

I personally would not be happy if they made another NSMB game at this point. While Mario Maker is technically one, the customization helped differentiate it enough to be considered one.

Edited by kingddd

There may have been only 4 NSMB but two of them were being released in the exact same year. NSMB2 and NSMBU. It also started the Nintendo rehash trend that has affected the fanbase's perception of what makes 2D Marios unique.

I personally would not be happy if they made another NSMB game at this point. While Mario Maker is technically one, the customization helped differentiate it enough to be considered one.

Actually, Super Mario Maker is ALL 2D home console Mario Games. I think what NSMB needs is a fresh coat of paint. Just make every level look like that Van-Gogh inspired level in NSMBU.

What about Mario Party? That series really needs a break after how bad 10 was compared to the older games. Blame my nostalgia but the 1-5 games seemed better (though I've never played the first, it seems good though)

Just a quick note: COD peaked in 2009. Each game since MW2 has sold slightly, but steadily, less and less. And (l)Activision keeps pumping more money into each game.

You don't need to be a genius to realize that won't end well.

Just a quick note: COD peaked in 2009. Each game since MW2 has sold slightly, but steadily, less and less. And (l)Activision keeps pumping more money into each game.

You don't need to be a genius to realize that won't end well.

The new games since MW2 have pretty much been full price expansion packs too.

i think that's WHY they made mario maker actually

What about Mario Party? That series really needs a break after how bad 10 was compared to the older games. Blame my nostalgia but the 1-5 games seemed better (though I've never played the first, it seems good though)

mario party 6 was really good...mp4 was copying 2 and 3 way too much.

I like Atlus a lot actually.

Wasn't real big on Conception though.

Nor did I ever care for Pokemon, actually. It never really appealed to me but I usually played it anyway. I liked Gen 2/3/5 but not the other 3.

Oh, and definitely the EA Sports games. Too many times I've gone to a pawn shop and found GC games, but only to discover it's nothing but terrible sports games. They're really repetitive, seems like they don't change enough and I was never big on it in the first place.

i think that's WHY they made mario maker actually

mario party 6 was really good...mp4 was copying 2 and 3 way too much.

Yeah I've heard good things about 6, I remember that it seemed to get really bad around 8 ( or at least that's how I feel). The day and night thing does seem very cool though! Hopefully Nintendo will one day use that Gamecube controller device for some Gamecube VC and add it (highly unlikely but we all need dreams).