Series you wish were to discontinue

Magical CC

My main problem is that I simply answer the thread topic just as others have and people start bashing/complaining to me. I'm not the only person here that said I would like if a certain game/series died. Yes, certain series ending would make some people unhappy, but that's just the way it goes. You can't ever please everyone.

On Splatoon, I'm not sure why Ana hates it so much to the point she wants the series to end and make its two million (and counting) fans miserable when she hasn't even played the game. But I have my ideas on why the game is popular:

Maybe because the idea of ridiculous-looking kids that turn into squids and shoot ink everywhere is just...I don't know...stupid to me? No offense, but this is my honest opinion and you said you were unsure. When I first saw Splatoon's announcement at E3, my first thought was "wtf is this trash? Is Nintendo of all companies really doing this? lol, I can't wait to see it bomb." Of course, it didn't bomb, but I had that thought before the hype and such. I seriously did not foresee it being as popular as it is. Literally the only thing I can say appeals to me about this is how colorful it is. But color alone isn't enough to make me play a game.

Also, I DID say that it most likely will get a sequel because of said popularity. Still doesn't stop the popularity from making me take even less interest in it though.

Another thing, I do not agree with the idea that originality = good. Something original can just as easily be bad or do badly. Super Paper Mario, for example, is a favorite game of mine, but despite its original ideas, not many people enjoyed it.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still doesn't stop the popularity from making me take even less interest in it though.

I don't diss a game because it's popular, only because it's mediocre. But since you've given me a strategic opening, I should mention that Sin and Punishment 2 is one of the lowest selling Nintendo games of all time. Are you interested in it now? Please be interested in it!

Uh, I never said that its popularity was the reason I have no interest in Splatoon. It just lessened my interest further. Like I said, I thought the game looked awful from the moment it was announced.

I think we all need to calm down a bit.

Ana just answered what the topic asked and so did all of you.If you don't feel a series should be discontinued then cool.If you do then cool.I don' think we should be jumping down each others necks cause we all have differing opinions.(But then again this is the internet)I mean a shit ton of people including myself said what series they think should be discontinued yet no one jumped down their necks.So can we just stop.

Sorry for going off-topic but still, it was getting annoying.

I think we all need to calm down a bit.

Ana just answered what the topic asked and so did all of you.If you don't feel a series should be discontinued then cool.If you do then cool.I don' think we should be jumping down each others necks cause we all have differing opinions.(But then again this is the internet)I mean a shit ton of people including myself said what series they think should be discontinued yet no one jumped down their necks.So can we just stop.

Sorry for going off-topic but still, it was getting annoying.

It's not jumping on each other's neck, it's debating the topic. If someone posts his/her opinion regarding the topic, then others are allowed to post a counter argument. If we don't do that, then the thread is just a list of stuff, so what's the point?

It's technically not a series, but... Splatoon. I've not played it, but I don't ever intend to. And the sad thing is, it's popular for some reason and likely will get a sequel of some sort. I wish Nintendo would actually make interesting-looking new first party IPs.

Ehhh wanting to see an IP die simply because you dont like it, is not very nice. In fact, its downright dumpy. Its the exact same attitude as all those in the FE fandom being terrible to people excited about the new game. Its the same attitude as those trying to discredit indie game devs. Its a bad, bad, fucking nasty attitude and i know you are better than that.

Also Splatoon is really, really good from what I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA1mbZ_MMh8

This is how i feel more or less. Im like "i....dont....need..." Oh who am i kidding, i need to try that game at least once.

???

I really don't think Ana's was the first, considering like ten people said Call of Duty with little or no expansion as well as any other game series mentioned. I may have said that a larger gap would be nice, but others clearly said exactly what you're accusing.

And i made the same goddamn face when all those people whinged about CoD.

tumblr_msprz9wMUA1rytwo9o2_400.jpg

Like what did that shit ever do to them? Is the series stagnant? Is the gameplay terribad? Have those guys ever even touched a Call of Duty game?

Uh, why should I care about what others like and don't like?

Because the world does not revolve around you and if you dont like something, and other people do, you freaking move on with your life instead of having temper tantrums and ruining their fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

Like what did that shit ever do to them? Is the series stagnant? Is the gameplay terribad? Have those guys ever even touched a Call of Duty game?

Stagnant would be one of things you could maybe argue in terms of not progressing, but you could be doing a lot worse. Unless they got throwing knife'd from across the map with a 12 year old screaming 'get rekt' and abuse someone even threatened to stab me irl down the headset, I'm not sure why they would hate it so much. I played Deadly Towers for shits and giggles and even though I don't see a Deadly Towers 2 coming out anytime soon don't you do it I don't think I could will up enough contempt to wish death upon it even for that. Edited by Tryhard

I've stated my opinion on the thread title and made my point clear; as it stands, wanting a game series to be cancelled because of your own personal opinion is entitled.

That's the entire point of this thread? Am I entitled because I want some obscure series to never, ever see the light of day again?

Ana wasn't the first, true; but as I said, it was made especially jarring after the recent discussion in the thread.

So, I should've made it a bit more clear, but everybody who's commented on this thread only to answer the topic question is acting entitled. I really wish the title was changed or re-rephrased to something that invited a bit more discussion.

I don't mind if people vent about what they're tired of seeing, and why. If the concept offends you that much, you can ignore this thread. I'd also throw in "report it", but this thread isn't breaking any rules.

It's not jumping on each other's neck, it's debating the topic. If someone posts his/her opinion regarding the topic, then others are allowed to post a counter argument. If we don't do that, then the thread is just a list of stuff, so what's the point?

You're also free to NOT RESPOND.

Ahem. . .

I think the "once a year for a new game" sequels are made because it's minimal effort for a decent amount of cash. Unless you're Assassin's Creed, and are full of bugs (but I happen to like the concept behind the game, so I'll gladly watch someone else play it). It also makes Christmas shopping a lot easier. That's why I tolerate them, even if I will never touch them. But I won't blame anyone for being tired of them.

Niche series that glorify some very fucked up behavior, on the other hand. . .

That's the entire point of this thread? Am I entitled because I want some obscure series to never, ever see the light of day again?

I say that if your reasoning is simply "I hate this series so no one else should be allowed to enjoy it", then yes, yes you are.

Bear in mind that I'm not actually calling YOU "entitled", since I've played that game you've talked about and I see why would you feel the way you do regarding it. I just feel that if you're going to wish for a series to die, at least have some valid reasoning behind it.

I don't mind if people vent about what they're tired of seeing, and why. If the concept offends you that much, you can ignore this thread. I'd also throw in "report it", but this thread isn't breaking any rules.

Nothing in this thread offends me. I simply have a different view on things. Note that I didn't even address Ana directly in my original post, because I wasn't really asking for a response. I just couldn't understand her reasoning because deep down I didn't want to believe she'll want Splatoon to die prematurely for purely selfish reasons, but reading her second post... I guess that is indeed the case. Go figure.

It's not like I have to keep digging on this, since all the people that predicted and wanted Splatoon's failure had to pretty much eat crow (or worse, in this case).

Yup, Karma was quite a bitch that day.

You're also free to NOT RESPOND.

Sure, I have that option, but I don't feel like I've done anything wrong in this thread, nor I'm offended or insulted that it means I should take a leave.

But on that note, people who want a series to die are also free to ignore it entirely.

Okay- there are some things in Gen VI which are good (such as the fairy type) but I have to agree with you- Gen VI was a step in the wrong direction. I never played Gen I and II, Gen III was ok.... But I think Gen IV and Gen V was where it was at. If they had a Gen VII, I'd love a story which was as strong as Pokemon Whites combined with a region which is as good as Sinnoh- with more inverse battles (but that's just me). If things get worse in Gen VII, Game Freak should mercy kill Pokemon.

What else? CoD needs to die. The yearly sports games (e.g FIFA). Assassin's creed. 2D Mario platformers. Conception.

Ok, when I first posted my list of series that needed to discontinue, I didn't realise that I needed to post the reasons why (apologies for that.)

Anyways, I'm gonna try and explain why I think certain series needs to be discontinued. I'm probably gonna fail, and I apologise if I do so.

For pretty much most of these games on the list, the reason why I want them discontinued is due to a lack of innovation. I'm one of those fans who takes the 'it's the same, now it sucks' mentality (which may make me sound entitled, but it is kinda true). If you cannot come up with any new ideas for an long going series, then you shouldn't continue with that series- invest your creative talents into developing something new and something fun. Please, don't turn a fun series of games into a Franchise Zombie. For example- I really enjoyed playing New Super Mario Bros DS with my sibling- but when 3 games are released on other consoles that look mostly the same, then the series kinda became banal. So- my main reason is that the longer the series runs, the more likely it is gonna succumb to sequalitis, and the worse it's gonna get. (I may put the Final Fantasy series in this section as well, but at least Square Enix do take innovative risks, even if some of those risks fail...Pokemon could also be in that section.) So, it's basically mercy killing series before the worst happens.

The other reason is due to personal experience. I did play Conception II and, as eclipse argued, it was kinda messed up and it could encourage really messed up beliefs...

Also- to contribute to the whole Splatoon debate- I haven't played it yet, but I really want to. It looks innovative, exciting and really fun to play. I remember seeing the E3 trailer and being confused at first, but then I became hyped!! :)

Edited by Fantasia

D-did he do it?

Did he drank his own urine?

I must know!

And, this is off-topic, but here's something interesting about Splatoon:

It's a shooter that's a popular in Japan.

A shooter that's popular in Japan.

Not only that, but I've heard that because of Splatoon, japanese players are getting interested in other shooters.

And even though I love Splatoon, I'm not really a fan of shooters, but even I know enough to realize that Splatoon achieved something impressive.

Edited by Water Mage

D-did he do it?

Did he drank his own urine?

I must know!

And, this is off-topic, but here's something interesting about Splatoon:

It's a shooter that's a popular in Japan.

A shooter that's popular in Japan.

Not only that, but I've heard that because of Splatoon, japanese players are getting interested in other shooters.

And even though I love Splatoon, I'm not really a fan of shooters, but even I know enough to realize that Splatoon achieved something impressive.

Yeah majority of the Splatoon players you will encounter online are Japanese Players. It's widely popular there that we're already getting lots of merchandise for the game. Keychains, plushies, lots of doujins and a soundtrack it's quite insane actually.

My stance with Call of Duty has alwasy been the same, it's a great mindless fun shooting series and it would kind of suck if it were to discontinue since I have been a fan since the original WW2 shooter. However I really do feel it needs a break at this point. Sure they alternate developers to work on the games to make the workload less on the developers the fact we get a main one every single year gets stale. If they can branch out the yearly releases, it would not have receive the same rehash backlash it is continuously getting and I feel it would have helped its image better. Sure it's generating millions but that interest has been dying a lot now.

Wow, I'm still being called selfish, nasty, and being accused of "having temper tantrums" and other false things all because of ONE opinion. loool While as others have said, all I did was answer the thread question like others have.

Why do I even bother?

And seriously, people, did you all just COMPLETELY forget that I'm still going through a hard time? I do not need any bullshit right now.

Edited by Anacybele

And seriously, people, did you all just COMPLETELY forget that I'm still going through a hard time? I do not need any bullshit right now.

Then why continue arguing when you know it's just going to irritate you?

No offence, by which I mean plenty of offence, but no one is required to care about your life. Trying to hold it up as some excuse for people to stop criticising you seems rather shameless to me, especially when it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. If I were you, I'd stop waving a corpse around like a banner and put it to rest.

To remain on topic, I generally don't get so attached to any series that I'd ever find myself wishing them to end. The existence of bad games in a particular series doesn't negate the good ones. I wouldn't want to be one of the snobs who snorts at people for enjoying games I don't personally like. I simply trust they have their reasons for enjoying them.

Edited by Shuuda

Maybe I didn't think people would repeatedly bash me and call me things like nasty and selfish? I'm honestly surprised that people are treating me this way, and after what I've been through.

And I didn't say you had to care about my life. I never made up any excuses either.

Edited by Anacybele

Wow, I'm still being called selfish, nasty, and being accused of "having temper tantrums" and other false things all because of ONE opinion. loool While as others have said, all I did was answer the thread question like others have.

Why do I even bother?

For the record, I didn't mind your post too much, and while I don't consider it very nice, people here are overreacting a bit.

However, you should stop using your recent tragedy as an excuse to be treated better. That is the easiest way to lose sympathy. When you post in these threads, you should come ready to accept any replies as if it were any normal day. Don't post if you feel you that you are in an emotional state not ready to take any criticism, and don't use what happened as an excuse. I feel sorry for you, everyone feels sorry for you, but nobody is about to ease up in a discussion unrelated to that incident.

Anyway, I should at least try to post something on topic.

I don't really think game series like CoD or Assassin's Creed should be cancelled per se, but the companies should work harder to put out a better product than what has been given as of late. Also, games with microtransactions need to reevaluate themselves and think about their artistic integrity.

Edited by Knight

Again, it's not an excuse. I didn't lie or fib or make anything up just to get attention or anything stupid and wrong like that. I seriously went through horrible shit and if you went through what I did, would you want to start being called rude things all because of one opinion?

Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, and if I am, I'm sorry about that. But my point stands.

What Knight said. If you're having a hard time currently, and I know that you are, I would suggest really not being involved in arguments, especially internet ones. It's just gonna make you feel worse. It wouldn't feel right for me not to treat each post as a seperate thing, though.

Also, understand that I at least am criticizing your opinion in this case, not your person, and it is not unique to you in this topic. While I think what you said was selfish, that doesn't mean I think you are inherently selfish because of that one thing you have said.

Edited by Tryhard

What Knight said. If you're having a hard time currently, and I know that you are, I would suggest really not being involved in arguments, especially internet ones. It's just gonna make you feel worse. It wouldn't feel right for me not to treat each post as a seperate thing, though.

Also, understand that I at least am critizing your opinion in this case, not your person, and it is not unique to you in this topic. While I think what you said was selfish, that doesn't mean I think you are inherently selfish because of that one thing you have said.

Fair enough. I wasn't originally trying to get involved in or start an argument, though, just contribute to the thread.

Also, games with microtransactions need to reevaluate themselves and think about their artistic integrity.

Microtransactions only work because people (AKA casual gamers) are willing to part with real money for the most worthless of things. Next time you see someone buying powerups in Candy Crush, show them how much actual candy they could have bought instead. And maybe slap them in the face, just to knock some sense into them.

Free-to-play games at least make sense for the kind of product it is, but in a full price game it's obnoxious. F2P games aren't for me, but many people do like them, I just don't want their cancer to spread to the kind of games I like.

And I have no hard feelings Ana, just want to clear that up.

Stagnant would be one of things you could maybe argue in terms of not progressing, but you could be doing a lot worse. Unless they got throwing knife'd from across the map with a 12 year old screaming 'get rekt' and abuse someone even threatened to stab me irl down the headset, I'm not sure why they would hate it so much. I played Deadly Towers for shits and giggles and even though I don't see a Deadly Towers 2 coming out anytime soon don't you do it I don't think I could will up enough contempt to wish death upon it even for that.

W E L P.

A gnarly fandom can really sour a series for some people trying to get into it. : (

...Where exactly did I assume that EVERYONE knew? Also, Loki/Florina and Jave DO know, as they posted in my thread on the topic.

I know you are going through a hard time and its why my wording was much gentler than what i would have said to anyone else with the same opinion. Its also why i know you are better than that. Theres loads of reasons why someone would not want Splatoon to continue, but simply "because i dont like it" isnt a good enough one. How would you feel if someone said "Luigi's Mansion should die because i hate it!" You wouldnt like that and you'd find it rather narrow minded, ja? Especially if the person expressing that opinion never played Luigi's Mansion. You know, i think we all would have been a lot less harsh if you'd have actually played Splatoon and drew your opinion from that. (i honestly dont think anyone here does have hard feelings over it btw.)

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

I wouldn't want to just kill a game series, per se, but for games that have their own woven story, some games really don't need a sequel. You can only push continuity so much before you've had enough of it, or, the story would have been completely fine if kept.

My own personal example being (that's kinda irrelevant now), the FFXIII trilogy. I really enjoyed the original's story concept of saying fuck you to fate and carving out their own ending, along with its world setting playing its part. Then XIII-2 happened and threw all of that out of whack, just for the sake of cashing in a sequel. I can't say much about Lightning Returns, since I've yet to actually finish it, but the reverse is in affect for this one, after what XIII-2 did, where, even if I'm unsure if I actually like it, it HAD to happen. I'd say I had the same feelings about Luigi's Mansion, out of my own spitefulness of not wanting it to lose its magic, which is why I never got Dark Moon, but thats just me being personal and shouldn't have much stock put into it

Back to my point. Its not to say that I'd want a series to just die after the first game. If its going to be a long term thing, such as FF as a whole, Tales of, FE etc, then its cool by all means. Just so long as the creators know when its the right time to just let it go, and on to the next thing, lest they actually disparage the predecessor, instead of either improving, or outdoing it all together.