Games you think are overrated?

Blue Druid

Kind of agree on Wind Waker. All because of that freaking Triforce quest you have to do. I'm still not past it because of just how boring it is. Granted, I still think it's a pretty good game, but best Zelda? No.

People considered WW the best Zelda too? Huh. I've never heard of that one.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get the Super Mario World craze I much prefer the nes ones. Also not as crazy for Wind Waker.

This is an opinion topic, but if you don't explain what you don't like about everyone's favorite games, we're just gonna think you're talkin' crazy.

People considered WW the best Zelda too? Huh. I've never heard of that one.

me tbh lol, but i know i'm in a minority

This is an opinion topic, but if you don't explain what you don't like about everyone's favorite games, we're just gonna think you're talkin' crazy.

"post about video games other people like but you don't but you'd damn well better back up why you don't like it!!!!!"

i mean, we wouldn't want anybody's feelings to be hurt because they walked into a thread about video games people don't like and saw their favorite game not being liked for nebulous reasons

Edited by Integrity

the entire god damn final fantasy series.

The spinoffs like Crystal Chronicles are pretty damn good, but ugh, the main series makes me want to shank someone.

...Kinda like what happened to Pokemon when Gen6 hit.

"post about video games other people like but you don't but you'd damn well better back up why you don't like it!!!!!"i mean, we wouldn't want anybody's feelings to be hurt because they walked into a thread about video games people don't like and saw their favorite game not being liked for nebulous reasons

Like someone said earlier, overrated doesn't necessarily mean "bad."

I still think OoT is a good game, it's just not as good as most people would consider it, in my eyes.

The Last of Us is the most overrated games of all time, followed by Shadow of the Colossus, the tons of interactive movies published by Sony and finally any other game that has nothing to it other than loads of oh-so artistic nothingness.

Ocarina of Time is in no way overrated. The game set bars in 3D gamedesign and holds up even today as a great game.

It had its flaws which were fixed in the 3DS version, but it still aged pretty well for being one of the first 3D action adventures.

(This, by the way, isn't based on any kind of nostalgia goggles.)

I don't know if this opinion would be considered controversial or not, but almost every console Zelda either is overrated or has been at some point. Wind Waker seems to be in vogue now as the one getting a lot of praise. Of course, that's not to say that Zelda isn't a great series, and I don't have a problem with people talking about their favorite, it's just that I've seen some die-hard fans talk up their favorite installment as some transcendent event of mystical power instead of just a great video game.

Edited by TheCosmicDude

I really don't get the Super Mario World craze I much prefer the nes ones. Also not as crazy for Wind Waker.

i think mario 3 is more popular actually, but the hack community for world is pretty big.

I agree with Ocarina of Time, although, unlike everyone else, I legitimately hate the game, so. I may be a bit biased, but I've had that opinion before I ever did, so.

i used to hate ocarina. really, the beginning of the game just sucks. i felt like i was forcing myself to keep playing until i started loving it. darunia started that :u

Ocarina of Time is in no way overrated. The game set bars in 3D gamedesign and holds up even today as a great game.

It had its flaws which were fixed in the 3DS version, but it still aged pretty well for being one of the first 3D action adventures.

mario 1 set bars in game design too...the difference is you dont see people yelling about it being the best game ever made

I don't know if this opinion would be considered controversial or not, but almost every console Zelda either is overrated or has been at some point.

the phillips CD-I is a console :)

So you must be among those that think it was the best game ever created? Are you among those that have their own shelf for it to marvel at its glory? Would you rate it 11/10 if you could?

If not, then you're mistaking how overrated it really is.

i mean, we wouldn't want anybody's feelings to be hurt because they walked into a thread about video games people don't like and saw their favorite game not being liked for nebulous reasons

Honestly, as long as this thread doesn't turn into a YouTube-esque flame war, we should be free of those overly butthurt people.

Like someone said earlier, overrated doesn't necessarily mean "bad."

I still think OoT is a good game, it's just not as good as most people would consider it, in my eyes.

Yes! That's what I meant when I started this topic, in case anyone misunderstands.

The Last of Us is the most overrated games of all time, followed by Shadow of the Colossus, the tons of interactive movies published by Sony and finally any other game that has nothing to it other than loads of oh-so artistic nothingness.

RealIy? haven't played those games, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

True, OoT set bars in 3d game design but that doesn't mean it reached the top. The 3DS version fixed many minor issues with the original, but didn't change anything core about it. OoT is good, but it can't be the first of its kind and the best of its kind at the same time.

mario 1 set bars in game design too...the difference is you dont see people yelling about it being the best game ever made

hahahaha Exactly!

I don't know if this opinion would be considered controversial or not, but almost every console Zelda either is overrated or has been at some point. Wind Waker seems to be in vogue now as the one getting a lot of praise. Of course, that's not to say that Zelda isn't a great series, and I don't have a problem with people talking about their favorite, it's just that I've seen some die-hard fans talk up their favorite installment as some transcendent event of mystical power instead of just a great video game.

I don't entirely disagree. I personally like the 2D Zeldas a bit more. What I don't like about Zelda more than anything is its lack of challenge.

This is exactly why I think referring to things as "overrated" is so pointless and terrible. There are thousands of people who love this game and there are probably thousands who don't. But saying that it's "overrated" because people say that it's better than you think it is is so overly generalizing. Wind Waker is a great game, and it's among my favorites. But every time the game is brought up I hear people praising it for understandable reasons and tons of other people calling it overrated. Really, just because people say a game is better than you think it is, is that so wrong? They definitely have some reason for it, even if it seems ridiculous, they're not just spouting nonsense.

"post about video games other people like but you don't but you'd damn well better back up why you don't like it!!!!!"

This may come as a shocker, but if someone doesn't support their unpopular opinions, then people won't believe them, in which case they have no reason to post at all. #Logic

I think Pokemon is overrated. The Pokemon's total base stats vary too much for balance. Battles are slowed down by too many repetitive animations (even when animations are turned off). The stories of all the games are way too similar. HM's can't decide if they want to be attacks or exploration tools. There is no in-battle type chart for reference, which is a criminal offense when types are so important and there are 18 of them (even more if you count dual-types).

Oh, and this:

"Pokémon caught in the wild are not made equal: some have better stats than others. While the game has a system in place that allows trainers to train and breed Pokémon with good stats, abilities and natures, and while it's gotten easier to train perfect Pokémon over the years, not every player feels like they should have to put in the time to get competitively viable Pokémon. For these players, Pokémon's complexity only shines once you have souped-up Pokémon that have been trained to perfection, because that's where players have to actually think about strategies and tactics. Anything before that is considered a useless grind that serves little purpose other than getting in the way of the 'real' game.

Players that feel strongly enough about this might resort to abandoning the game altogether, instead opting to play online versions of the game—like Pokémon Showdown, an online competitive Pokémon simulator. Here, players can create a digital team with ease, without having to raise or train them as they would in the handheld version of the game."

Edited by Zera

zera thats not explaining why its overrated, its just criticising the game...

if there was another game series like pokemon that does the same thing but better, that would be a good reason to call it overrated maybe

I agree. You're basically just saying you don't like the type of game Pokemon is trying to be, which is fine, but it prevents you from making a fair analysis as to if it fails in its execution and mechanics from an objective standpoint. Then again, the argument can be made that this entire thread is made entirely out of subjectiveness, but I think the way people are giving their opinions is actually quite objective.

Edited by Lantairu

zera thats not explaining why its overrated, its just criticising the game...

If I couldn't criticize it, obviously it wouldn't be overrated. Pokemon does a bunch of things that good games don't do, yet fans still gobble it up. That sounds like overrated to me.

Edited by Zera

If I couldn't criticize it, obviously it wouldn't be overrated. Pokemon does a bunch of things that good games don't do, yet fans still gobble it up. That sounds like overrated to me.

Seems more like it's your opinion of a good game.

Pokemon is popular, yes, but even the younger fans don't fangasm about it 24/7. We all know of its flaws.

Edited by Tragonight

Honestly, the game definitely could use a remake, but let's be honest, Square is going to find some way to mess it up. Though, I heard the newly released iOS port wasn't bad.

They're changing the battle system. People are already back to their good ol' "Eff Square", "why would they even try to remake this they don't know what made it great" selves.

But anway, back on topic...

I'm not a big fan of Shadow of the Colossus. I'll just say: a minimalistic story should have an overarching, yet simplistic and basic plot that you largely flesh it through visual inferences. SoC feels like somebody took a novel outline, cut out most of the points, and then said "there: minimalistic story". No, what you have is a story that had most of the points cut out, with what's left being confusing and there to raise questions that will never be fully answered (interesting note: the Director said in an interview several years after release was that he regretted not fleshing out the story more).

The overworld is left over from when the game was supposed to be an MMO; as such, all it really does is drag out the game, giving you a big map full of nothing to traverse while you go from colossi to colossi.

SoC isn't a terrible game, but it feels very rough; almost like it had a very tumultuous development and was cobbled together from the remains of an MMO... oh wait.

Another overrated game is Halo 2.

FYI, Halo was originally supposed to be a duelogy: however, Bungie's plans for the campaign became so ambitious that they eventually split the second game into two.

So Halo 2 is the first half of the story it was meant to tell.

And like a first half would do, it introduces new characters, builds tension, and raises questions... and doesn't provide a substantial ending or answer said questions.

The campaign does feel somewhat bloated (probably because of the choice to split): there are multiple missions that feel like they could've just been cut down and combined. Plus, the levels are at points more open-ended than Combat Evolved,...but have no waypoint system. Translation: have fun stumbling around an area for five minutes post-combat trying to find where to go next.

And now, for the multiplayer. Oh, the glorious multiplayer that was the peak of Halo... not really. Balance doesn't exist. Outside of explosives, snipers, and the shotgun, it's Battle Rifle > everything else.

And of course, Fire Emblem Awakening for reasons said on this site many countless times. I'll just leave it at that; I've ranted too long.

Edited by The DanMan

Maybe because the people that buy them either overlook its flaws or decide to ignore them completely?

Smash still sold without a story mode. Anybody that bought it and kept track of its progress would've known that the story mode was removed.

If everyone recognizes its flaws, then why does it consistently sell 10M+ copies?

Because people enjoy it in spite of those flaws.

They're fun games that appeal to a lot of different people, however that doesn't mean many people would put them in a "Greatest games of all Time" list.

Overrated isn't based on sales so much as praise.

Edited by Snagglepuss

And of course, Fire Emblem Awakening for reasons said on this site many countless times. I'll just leave it at that; I've ranted too long.

Oh yeah, that too. Of course it isn't bad, and it's a great introduction, but when going back to the older entries, it's kind of disappointing. Sure, they refined a lot of things, but they also removed a lot of things and over simplified lots of other features. Still one of the best 3DS games, but pales in comparison to other FE games.

I'm not fond of Wind Waker or Radiant Dawn. I mean, I don't like the term overrated because I don't think people are wrong for liking those games as much as they do, I just don't like them.

Also, as someone who loves the original Mario Galaxy, I just couldn't get into Mario Galaxy 2, which many people find even better than the original. The entirety of Metroid also doesn't appeal to me.

Edited by Nobody

I feel Awakening, Zelda: TWW, and Zelda: MM are the most overrated games ever. Although, 2/3 of those are games I hate (the one I like being Awakening). Awakening just has too many plot, character design, and gameplay issues to deserve all the praise it gets, imo. In the case of TWW and MM, I just happened to dislike just about everything people like about these two and can't ever understand why people like them...

This is exactly why I think referring to things as "overrated" is so pointless and terrible. There are thousands of people who love this game and there are probably thousands who don't. But saying that it's "overrated" because people say that it's better than you think it is is so overly generalizing. Wind Waker is a great game, and it's among my favorites. But every time the game is brought up I hear people praising it for understandable reasons and tons of other people calling it overrated. Really, just because people say a game is better than you think it is, is that so wrong? They definitely have some reason for it, even if it seems ridiculous, they're not just spouting nonsense.

For me, when people talk about these sorts of things it's always implicit for me that it's just their opinion. Unless they do something specifically to indicate otherwise, I'm generally willing to give the benefit of the doubt that they don't think their word is God on the ultimate quality of a game.

My point certainly wasn't that people's thoughts are invalid just because they think more of something than I do, and I didn't mean it if I came across that way. To me it's all just difference of opinion, and I don't see a problem with everybody expressing their own.