Games you think are overrated?

Blue Druid

Well, Minecraft is one, yes, but it's a combination of that and a creative tool, and I like the creative aspect of it, so I don't mind Minecraft too much personally. But yeah, I'd consider it a survival game.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had some nice characters though (Komali, Medli, and Quill ftw. Rito rock!).

Man, the two dungeons where you had partners were easily my favorite part of windwaker. Don't remember the name of the little plant guy, but I love him too. Edited by Severian

Not ShadowShine's reasons, I can say that. The cartoony look in TWW was actually one of the few things I liked about it. I just didn't like the huge ocean (it felt empty, as the only land to explore were little islands) or the story or the dungeons and the difficulty was far too easy. I swear, TWW is one of the easiest games I ever played. And this is coming from someone who isn't really an expert at gaming. It had some nice characters though (Komali, Medli, and Quill ftw. Rito rock!).

I personally loved the graphinc and sound design of that game, they were very well done, but goddamn was it easy!

MM, I didn't like for similar reasons. Boring story and dungeons, imo. Also boring overworld again. The main story was also far too short. The game is like 80% side content and only 20% actual main story. Don't get me wrong, I like side content, but not this much compared to the main story. I liked Zelda games having six or more dungeons. Hell, ALttP has TEN and that's my favorite thing about the game.

True, the story is very short but the sidequests can keep you busy and can be very interesting. The game was certainly much more creative than OoT, and I definitely prefer it, but I'm more of a fan of the 2D Zeldas myself. Funny thing, is Majora's Mask was made in less than a year!

EDIT: Oh, forgot about Pokemon RSE. I didn't like almost any of the Pokemon, Hoenn is an awful region, imo (boring towns, too much water, bad Pokemon designs, etc.), the story was eh, I don't like Team Aqua (Team Magma is badass though!), and I didn't like that moves were physical and special based on type. Gen 4 did the right thing with its physical/special split based on the moves themselves rather than their types.

I personally like the Gen III pokemon, but what I dislike about RSE is that it's really easy! The Elite Four were among the most pushover Elite Four in Pokemon history! Fun fact, a hacker from the Pokehacking community found a way to implement the Gen Physical/Special split into Pokemon Emerald.

Well, Minecraft is one, yes, but it's a combination of that and a creative tool, and I like the creative aspect of it, so I don't mind Minecraft too much personally. But yeah, I'd consider it a survival game.

Yeah, Minecraft is also very creative, and a joy to play with your friends.

Man, the two dungeons where you had partners were easily my favorite part of windwaker. Don't remember the name of the little plant guy, but I love him too.

Makar if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Blue Druid

Fire Emblem :Kappa:

call of dooty bro

and really any mainstream multiplayer first person shooter that isn't TF2

EDIT: Oh, forgot about Pokemon RSE. I didn't like almost any of the Pokemon, Hoenn is an awful region, imo (boring towns, too much water, bad Pokemon designs, etc.), the story was eh, I don't like Team Aqua (Team Magma is badass though!), and I didn't like that moves were physical and special based on type. Gen 4 did the right thing with its physical/special split based on the moves themselves rather than their types.
everyone's entitled to their own opinion (i love hoenn you heathen) but the part in bold is crazy to read because it was the third generation and RSE were the 8th 9th and 10th handheld games to do this; it's not like it was an innovation, they were just following suit with what happened earlier and then the 4th gen was an overhaul
edit: tl;dr that's not the fault of 3rd gen
and majora's mask is my favorite zelda
Edited by phobia

Well, being someone that never played gen 1 or gen 2 when I played gen 3 (gen 4 was my first gen, though), I didn't know what had been around prior to gen 3.

OP, you changed the thread title to mean something completely different than what you were originally asking. People actually do use the word, overrated like its intended to be.

Cor blimey....

Therefore, my answer must also change. Shadow of the Colossus still to this day, appeals to me.

As for the NOW CHANGED answer: I think im gonna go with The Last of Us. This game is heralded as one of the best story-heavy games in the most recent/current gen of gaming. Nearly everyone has something nice to say about it. I feel like id probably rather see this as a film or something? Because the gameplay and style of it does not appeal to me in the slightest. Yet the story does. The conundrum of the ages right there.

While i have no real beef at all with Pokemon, its not exactly my cup of tea. Ive played a couple of the games (mostly gen 1 and gen 4) and they are fun and stuff, but not like, i dunno. I just didnt want to keep up with it and the appeal for me personally, kinda just faded. I do see why other people love it though. Pokemon is stupidly entertaining and really accessible.

Elder Scrolls games. Yeah, nah.

OP, you changed the thread title to mean something completely different than what you were originally asking. People actually do use the word, overrated like its intended to be.

Cor blimey....

I feel the two questions were more or less the same, and before it almost turned into an OoT flame war, so I'm content with the change.

Edited by Blue Druid

I feel the two questions were more or less the same, and before it almost turned into an OoT flame war, so I'm content with the change.

They are not the same.

4531039c22e5512fcaecf2c10c5c6a5b.png

Especially considering when someone overrates something, they have experienced it. Or when someone finds something overrated, they experienced it themselves and find the amount of praise for that thing to be not quite valid. Asking what popular games do not appeal to someone, is asking "what, without experiencing it, doesnt strike your fancy?" Its a very different meaning!

Not only that, there was no OoT flame war brewing. That was just people talking about OoT.

Like my answer before the title change was Shadow of the Colossus. I felt it overrated because i experienced it and found the game's controls clunky as hell. Asking if it appeals to me is entirely different. :facepalm: Now people are gonna be hella confused when reading this thread from page 1.

They are not the same.

4531039c22e5512fcaecf2c10c5c6a5b.png

Especially considering when someone overrates something, they have experienced it. Or when someone finds something overrated, they experienced it themselves and find the amount of praise for that thing to be not quite valid. Asking what popular games do not appeal to someone, is asking "what, without experiencing it, doesnt strike your fancy?" Its a very different meaning!

Not only that, there was no OoT flame war brewing. That was just people talking about OoT.

Like my answer before the title change was Shadow of the Colossus. I felt it overrated because i experienced it and found the game's controls clunky as hell. Asking if it appeals to me is entirely different. :facepalm: Now people are gonna be hella confused when reading this thread from page 1.

While I see what you mean that they are not the same, for something to appeal to you doesn't mean you didn't experience it. I never asked if something doesn't "superficially" appeal to you, and I might have exaggerated with the flame war. I'm not a very adamant person, so I guess I'll change it back?

I second Loki's suggestion, modify the OP to say at which point did you change the question title and what the former one was to avoid confusion.

I enjoy Super Metroid a ton. I say it's overrated, but almost every bit of it is something that appeals to me.

Edited by Knight

"Overrated" topic gets over 100 posts in a few days.

Ugh. People never change.

I hate the word "overrated" and basically never use it because I believe it has lost all meaning these days...if it ever had meaning. It's really just "other people like this more than I do."

Well, other people like Kid Icarus Uprising more than I do. And Bravely Default. Probably more, but those are the only ones in recent memory.

>thread title changes so people stop bitching about the word "overrated"

>THAT'S A DIFFERENT QUESTION, CHANGE IT BACK

>thread title changes back to "Overrated"

>OVERRATED HAS LOST ALL MEANING

>top kek

Anyways, I enjoy Bioshock and it's story but goddamn it's gameplay is mediocre at early-game and downright awful at late-game. Enemies have so much health late-game it takes so many fucking shots to kill them unless you literally used nothing but your Wrench and Plasmids early-game, taken so many pictures that you could teach the Pokemon Snap guy a lesson or two, and have so much Special Ammo that Rambo is jealous. Some of the plasmids don't even seem to work sometimes (Target Dummy) or are downright useless (ALL THE FREEZE PLASMIDS). You constantly have to kill Big Daddies for Adam and Money which you then use to buy Health Upgrades and Ammo to which half will go to killing Splicers and the other half will go to killing more fucking Big Daddies. It's not even that the Big Daddies (outside of Rosies) are challenging, they're just annoying. The game thinks it's a horror game with it's ammo distribution but holy fuck the amount of enemies it sends at you is atrocious.

I don't even want to get into the Final boss fight. I just hope you brought 50 fucking bazillion grenades because your going to fucking need them.

People think Bioshock's gameplay is better than System Shock 2's for some reason and I have no idea why. It's bad and I only tolerate it for the story.

Do you work for IGN

Uh, no. From what I've heard, "too much water" is literally IGN's only complaint, whereas I have many more complaints about gen 3 than that. But more than half the f-ing region is water and I never liked surfing in Pokemon much.

...Assuming you ignore the fact nobody in universe seems to actually engage in physical violence to overpower a little kid for his Pokeballs...

To the above three posts; The enemy gangs are illegal crime organisations and they always get foiled by taking on a 10 year old one by one (sometimes 2v1!!!!) in Pokemon battles instead of just physically attacking the kid instead.

Don't misunderstand, I am not trying to get pissy about the plot of Pokemon, I am merely disagreeing with this quote

"Like, Pokemon has simple stories, but they for the most part make sense."

but it makes sense because it never happens. its not like it happens like once or twice for no reason, it never happens. its unrealistic, but it makes sense because its established to never happen in pokemon.

its like in a story where monsters only come out at night. even if they never tell why the moneters can only come out at night, a story makes more sense when they keep something consistent like that

other than that, i think they keep the stories with the bad guys light because the big goal is to be pokemon champion. its not like megaman.exe where it's all like "yaaay, you won a big tournament!" and then they stop caring in 5 minutes because you have to fight evil guys.

Overrated meaning a game I think isn't that great but everyone else does, right?

Sassiness aside, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 is all I can think of at the moment. They may be classics, but I think they've aged absolutely terribly.

Overrated meaning a game I think isn't that great but everyone else does, right?

Sassiness aside, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 is all I can think of at the moment. They may be classics, but I think they've aged absolutely terribly.

We already covered that.

SA2, yes. SA1.....when its not getting overshadowed by sa2 a lot of people hate on it.

Uh, no. From what I've heard, "too much water" is literally IGN's only complaint, whereas I have many more complaints about gen 3 than that. But more than half the f-ing region is water and I never liked surfing in Pokemon much.

Twas a joke, mate.

SA2, yes. SA1.....when its not getting overshadowed by sa2 a lot of people hate on it.

Honestly to me they're both equally bad, I don't think SA2 is miles above SA1 or anything.