[FE7] Text glitch, game loads random stuff instead of inserted text

Toa

Hello. I was working on my hack and was testing a chapter and found that certain portions of text were broken, displaying what looks to be parts of the archer animation sheet while opening a speech bubble with question marks in it, followed by opening a shop prompt of some kind. None of that was in the text I inserted.

2RFbANg.png8of2fKs.png

Here is the text

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B9AUf9jC6FWsuyCzvdrZC92agsvJdzSLKPmG1Q2GRTw/edit

It does similar things (currently it displays some text in the corner for a moment and then text appears at the top of the screen telling me what type of tile the cursor is on) even with different mugs loaded, at different locations(it started in 848), and with the simplest of events. No matter what I do, the game seems adamant on not playing this text. Any ideas?

its an address, you need to use the memory viewer

*sigh*

can you give him advice on how he's supposed to use the memory viewer?

"do the thing with the thing" isn't that helpful

Edited by Ghastly

open the memory viewer, type in or paste in the address and click Go when the conversation is happening like in the photo

o70RDbS.png

you can alternatively look at the actual ROM data in a hex editor by searching for the ascii text

Edited by Brendor

It confirms my hypothesis; you see it says Goddess Icon in memory because that's the "current item" in whatever reserved byte the game uses.
The whole store system including the graphics and options and displaying items is linked to the 0x1A byte being used in the text so check the actual ROM text for a stray 0x1A probably from an overflow or something

I started by writing everything in a google doc. I did all the base writing and then also the formatting in there. When it was finished, I copy pasted that into FEditor. It might be worth noting that FEditor doesn't handle this that smoothly, it turns all the apostrophes into [No] and ellipsis into &. I don't remember if I did it on this text, but I forgot some [LoadFace]s on some other text in the batch that I had to fix after hitting apply and seeing things go wrong. Anyway, after I fixed whatever formatting problems arose, I played through the chapter I inserted the dialogue for. Every piece worked fine except for this one. (they were all inserted using the same process).

Just check over the text and make sure you don't have any stray bytes or funny characters.

It also helps to insert stuff into Notepad first, I find, and then put it into FEditor.

Okay, I have identified the problem to be length related. Text that was broken started working when I removed a bunch of it and then broke when I started adding back in. Is there some sort of limit when replacing text? Like does it need to be similarly sized to the text you're replacing, or is this some sort of "just me" anomaly?

Edited by Toa