Would it really be that difficult to port FE6/7 to XNA?

Kysafen

I'm willing to take this as a symbol of my inexperience with this (and to my defense, the editor isn't even public yet), but wouldn't it just be a matter of copy/pasting the map/animation/text/music assets and easily editing the assets that aren't already in? Or is there substantially more to it?

I don't think you can actually port it, you'd have to remake it. All the GBA mugs were converted already though (At least... I thought they were. Thought I had a folder of them but I can't find them ATM), I think Klok did most of the map animations for Sacred Contention 2 or w/e...

The hardest part would be the events, as IIRC, those can't be copy-pasted at all and have to be remade from scratch.

Edited by L95

make some ridiculous GBA->EXE converter program

It's a completely different file type, platform, framework etc. Luckily though, it should be easy enough to transfer all the graphical elements, then you can rewrite the text and events.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that... well, most likely all Fire Emblem games up to 8 could be "ported" to the FEXNA engine, and you could do 2D demakes of 9 and onward if you knew your stuff.

You'd just have to port them by hand.

Graphical and audio assets and even maps could most likely be copy-pasted, but things like events, enemy layouts on maps, etc. would have to be copied over by hand.

So basically it's doable, but there isn't anything resembling a "Port Game" button so it would still require at least some actual effort.

Edited by Starlight36

Seems like that would be an incredible waste of time. By the time you did that, you could easily retype up the whole thing and use XNA's engine to recreate the games from start to finish probably assuming you borrowed all of their assets.

Assuming you mean FEXNA and not just whatever you were thinking of making yourself in XNA:

It shouldn't be hard. Getting all the character/generic unit data to be the same as FE6/7 would be a pain, but if you're willing to use the built-in chapter progression map select thingy and Yeti's Prep Screen and are okay with a 320x192 resolution (ie, you're not trying to make a 100% accurate remake), it should be tedious at worst.

Maps can be image-generated or imported by the map creator; animations are 90% already inserted and Klok's been going on forever about the FEditor>FEXNA animation converter he wants; a quick Find/Replace job could pretty reliably format the text, leaving you to just have to read the Event-Disassembled events to remake and put the text in and stuff. There's no converter for events, and I don't know of any plans for one--it'd have to be handled in FEXNA rather than as an external program, so that's best left to Yeti to decide if he even wants to do it. Even if not, though, It'll take forever, sure, but way quicker than an equal number of chapters when you don't have the entire framework set up for you.

Oh, right, music. FEXNA takes .oggs which you'd have to rip, find, convert, or what have you, but the most annoying part is finding loop points, since there's no program I know of that does it for you. That would be the only actually difficult part--the rest is just a matter of dedicating enough time to a project like this. Because while easier than a 20-chapter custom hack, it would absolutely be a project.

Seems like that would be an incredible waste of time. By the time you did that, you could easily retype up the whole thing and use XNA's engine to recreate the games from start to finish probably assuming you borrowed all of their assets.

That's pretty much what he said.

That's pretty much what he said.

For some reason I read that as him trying to somehow make the GBA code compatible with FEXNA. And it seems I wasn't the only one that thought that either.

Edited by Augestein

• 3 weeks later...

WHy bother? We already have perfectly playable versions of FE6/7. I could see why you might want to remake fe4 or something with inferior assets/different mechanics, but fe6 and 7 look almost identical to fexna and from what i have seen, play quite similarly. (in fact, i'm pretty sure that fexna was designed that way on purpose). I guess it would make balancing hacks easier, but IMO, it's probably easier just to repoint one or two tables if needed then it is to transfer an entire game over. Not that it would be that hard (exept possibly for events), but copypasting and arranging all those assets would take FOREVER, and double checking that everything was 100% accurate would take just as long.

• 4 weeks later...