Does anyone else, after enjoying a certain game, fantasize creating videogames?

Zerxen

To make it clearer, does anyone else after playing through a game and thoroughly enjoying it, daydream about being a developer for that series and think of the ideas you have if you hypothetically made a game for that franchise? I do this constantly, especially with the FE series. For example, in my head, everyday I constantly think about the gameplay mechanics I would want for my ideal FE game, how many weapons should be in the game, new classes and skills, original characters and their classes, personalities, growth rates etc.. Does anyone else do this? Not just the FE series but in any game series in general.

After I played Earthbound (and Mother 3 as well) I had a few thoughts about creating particular scenes/events/characters/monsters that I thought would be funny. Oh, and when I played Starcraft (before Brood War), I wanted to make a custom campaign in which the magistrate, cerebrate and executor (before he was known as Artanis) team up. Who knows why the cerebrate would team up with the magistrate and executor but whatever.

I have an entire universe with it's own lore and some character so far in my head. But I think it's more the plot and story part of a game and less the actual gameplay part. Although sometimes I'll think of some gameplay ideas and think of how many ways it'll probably be unbalanced and broken.

But is it the fun kind of broken or the lame kind of broken?

Also to answer the question, definitely (especially after watching cool movies and/or playing cool games).

You know, you don't have to just "fantasize" about a FE game. We have literally some of the most advanced fangame creation tools of any fandom. Advanced romhacking, the FEXP engine, soon the FEXNA engine... Especially FEXNA, which has the ability to let you do pretty much anything you could ever want to do.

I say pick up a rom or FEXP, and try to do something. You might actually end up making something cool, so stop thinking you can't do anything! It's nowhere near as hard to learn our tools as people make it out to be.

And, I mean, at least you're not like, say, a Kirby fan, who'll never get to do anything for their favorite series...

I know that feeling. Whenever a game inspires my own game ideas - well, that's just a sign of a very good game.

I aspire to make games eventually, so I always love it when they include level editors. The editor in Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury is particularly genius because it allows each level up to four "phases". Each phase can spawn enemies and objects, set a new objective, change the music, or any combination of the three. This lets you create really dynamic stages, and makes Missile Fury's editor the closest I've seen to actually designing a game.

You know, you don't have to just "fantasize" about a FE game. We have literally some of the most advanced fangame creation tools of any fandom. Advanced romhacking, the FEXP engine, soon the FEXNA engine... Especially FEXNA, which has the ability to let you do pretty much anything you could ever want to do.

I say pick up a rom or FEXP, and try to do something. You might actually end up making something cool, so stop thinking you can't do anything! It's nowhere near as hard to learn our tools as people make it out to be.

And, I mean, at least you're not like, say, a Kirby fan, who'll never get to do anything for their favorite series...

Well here's the thing, I do not legitimately want to create a game. I just fantaszie for my entertainment, that coupled with my OCD.

Edited by Zerxen

Ever since I first played Mario 64, I've always wanted to create my own game... for the N64. Needless to say that's not gonna happen anytime soon, but I have planned out a few games of my own. From Mario and Zelda to Fire Emblem and Pokemon, I just keep coming up with ideas!

It wasn't until I created Power Master that I was really motivated to actually create a game. FE is definitely one of the inspirational games for my idea. And guess what? It's almost done!

While my game designing focus is mainly on my own series, I still have the old Mario and Zelda idea notebooks. Unfortunately, I lost the Fire Emblem and Pokemon ones, but I still remember them. In fact, I even remade the old ideas onto RPGMaker.

I guess you never truly forget your inspirational roots.

If it's the best four hours ever, then it's worth it. And if it can be beaten that quickly, then all that work must have went into a game of great depth and replayability. In other words, you just created Sin and Punishment 2. Congratulations!

Yep.I always have ideas for stuff.It is nice to know I am not the only on though now.XD

I would love to make my own FE hack, and I plan to but school is taking up a lot of my time so I may wait.Also I first have to actually get into hacking.

My dream project is a game based on an article about memory.

Particularily the fact you can lose your thoughts after going through a door or seing a face (so basic ennemies are slimes, of course.)

It would be some kind of puzzle game, where you would have to avoid people (Face) and going through secret assage to avoid going through doors. Later, I added an idea of lightening/darkening the rooms to open/close passages.

And as a DQ fan, I started imagining the story of Slimes taking revenge o humans, after being slaughtered by every adventurers for so many time. The hero would be name Sullivan, and would be green.

My ideas are mainly based on RPGs since it's my all time used. It also helps me appreciatingbetter what's done well in RPGS (That's a large part of my appreciation of Radiant Historia. Its gameplay is nearly perfect.)

And I spent lot of time in RPG Makers making tons of project I abandon almost immediately, because it takes lots of time (I have a lot more rspect abaout balancing, because god this takes tons of time.)

Sometimes, when playing games, I think of how a certain part could've been and things that I find cool that could be added to it. Instead of thinking how I'd make a new game, I'm usually thinking how I'd change and possibly improve an existing game.

Always, my friend. Always.

So much this.

Isn't that natural to want to create something similar to what is not only awesome, but what you love ?

Edited by B.Leu

I don't fantasize it, I do it. Though I'm far from a Triple A developer.

But ever since my friends and I graduated from our Game Design course, we've agreed to work together on a project and get it to a good enough state to be put on Steam Greenlight. It's a multiplayer car battle game, think Twisted Metal but very minimalist, I can show you this image.

6XSwJMw.jpg

Here, this is a render of my car model. It's a ball with spinning blades in the middle and guns on the sides, our game is minimalist so the low poly hard edge feel is intended. This is sadly the only thing I can show you, but we intend to have our finished project with four different selectable cars and four different maps.

But yeah, game development is a fun job, a demanding job that requires a lot of dedication, but it's a lot more fun than it looks. I highly recommend it.

A fair warning, though: You'll never look at games the same way as you did previously since you know the logic and the skeleton behind it. You can analyse it and picture how it was created in your head. I've started a new playthrough of Kingdom Hearts 2 this weekend and all I see in front of me is the code behind it. It's that bad. Well, it's not THAT bad, I actually only see it when I want to think about it but still, I now have the ability to look at games and say: Yes, this is how they did it, it makes perfect sense now.

Sure I do, but then not too long afterwards reality ensues and I realize I have none of the talents required to make my dreams come true.

Yes you do, I know it sounds cheesy but everyone has the talent inside them. When you get into a game design course, you'll find out what you're best with. You may not be all that technical but you can be a designer, or a storywriter. You may not be that much of a philosopher or storywriter but you can be a good programmar and tech person, maybe even a marketing person, so on and so forth. The reason why they teach you all of these skills is to be able to communicate with other members of the team that are doing other things. It may sound daunting, but I still recommend it.

I have an entire universe with it's own lore and some character so far in my head. But I think it's more the plot and story part of a game and less the actual gameplay part. Although sometimes I'll think of some gameplay ideas and think of how many ways it'll probably be unbalanced and broken.

That's why it's a team effort, you can do designing and and storytelling at the same time, but working with someone who can takeover one of these tasks can be beneficial for you.

Edited by Rxmonste