poll title  

37 members have voted

1. 1. which is best touhou soundtrack?

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, shezzy said:

flan's the hardest extra boss, still, in my opinion. a lot of people will say koishi is harder, but that fight gives you a lot more room to screw up. eosd extra stage gives you like 2 extends and thats all you've got to clear the whole thing.

plus its also got a lot more randomness to it. I feel like most extra stages you can just sort of memorize and then they'll never trouble you again, but flandre's spellcards can be pretty unpredictable sometimes

I always found Flandre herself to be one of the easiest Extra bosses, actually - you don't get a lot of room to screw up, but you don't really need it.
The trick is that Flandre is extremely vulnerable to shotgunning. If you abuse EoSD's shotgunning mechanics, Flandre's HP deplete crazy fast as she gives you a lot of opportunities to safely do it. Most of her spellcards are pretty tame, too - you're right in that most of them aren't static, but they're not particularly difficult to compensate. Heck, some of Lunatic Cirno's spellcards are arguably harder than Flandre's.

Now Patchy, on the other hand, definitely is a contender for hardest EX Midboss (although SA EX Sanae is still harder imo). Royal Flare is all I'll say.

10 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Now Patchy, on the other hand, definitely is a contender for hardest EX Midboss (although SA EX Sanae is still harder imo). Royal Flare is all I'll say.

So you could say that Royal Flare....

*puts on sunglasses*

...is a royal pain in the ass?

4 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

So you could say that Royal Flare....

*puts on sunglasses*

...is a royal pain in the ass?

...uhm... yes. I suppose that is one way to put it. :V

9 minutes ago, shezzy said:

which (windows) ex bosses would u say are harder

ive done flan, ran, yukari, mokou, and koishi but thats it.

I know you said Windows, but I've played LLS and MS as well, so I might as well include those.

Personally, I'd consider Mugetsu/Gengetsu, Mokou, Suwako, Koishi, and Raiko harder.
I haven't bothered with LoLK's EX boss, although considering it's LoLK, it's probably safe to assume she's harder, too.

Nue and Mamizou are about even, although the latter would almost definitely be harder if Trance wasn't a thing.

Alice, Ran and Yukari are easier.

2 minutes ago, shezzy said:

IN EX was pretty great.

best music, spellcards, and the dialogue between mokou and the different teams is fucking gold.

I didn't really like that one tbh. Far too memorization-based. (Also, Mokou's final non-spell is absolutely insane.)

i really wish the phantasm was more of its own thing in PCB. could've had the potential to be really great

Agreed~

1 minute ago, Futaba said:

i still find IN easier than EoSD >_> as a super noob

IN Easy is definitely easier than EoSD. For Normal/Hard it depends more on whether your forte lies in your reflexes or memorization. If you rely on your reflexes for dodging, you'll find EoSD easier. If you're better at memorization, you'll probably do better in IN.

(Also, Marisa might just be the hardest Stage 4 boss in any Touhou game whereas Reimu is one of the easiest, so which team you choose will probably also have a strong impact on your chances of 1ccing.)

IN Lunatic, however, is definitely on a completely different level than EoSD Lunatic.

1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

IN Easy is definitely easier than EoSD. For Normal/Hard it depends more on whether your forte lies in your reflexes or memorization. If you rely on your reflexes for dodging, you'll find EoSD easier. If you're better at memorization, you'll probably do better in IN.

(Also, Marisa might just be the hardest Stage 4 boss in any Touhou game whereas Reimu is one of the easiest, so which team you choose will probably also have a strong impact on your chances of 1ccing.)

IN Lunatic, however, is definitely on a completely different level than EoSD Lunatic.

oh, that explains it. well i think i'm better with memorisation because i know i'll always have bad reflexes.

i think i used a non-Marisa/Reimu team though? but i don't think i'd touch lunatic in my lifetime

4 minutes ago, Futaba said:

i think i used a non-Marisa/Reimu team though? but i don't think i'd touch lunatic in my lifetime

If I remember correctly, the Scarlet team gets Reimu as a boss, whereas the Netherworld team is stuck with Marisa.

is there really that much of a jump between hard mode and lunatic?

Yes.
Lunatic Marisa in particular is about as BS as Junko, with some of her nonspells requiring literally pixel-perfect squeezes through gaps consisting of bullets with wildly inaccurate hitboxes - and since that's her non-spells and bombs in EoSD/PCB/IN do close to nothing to those...

enh, considering reimu/yukari and netherworld are by far the best shot types in that game its a pretty fair trade

Eh. Hard to argue with the Border team, but I always found the Netherworld team inconvenient to use. Yuyuko's spread shot is great against stage enemies, except that's when you want to be unfocused. Likewise, Youmu is decent against bosses, except doing bosses unfocused is just asking for trouble (unless it's one the spells that's designed around it). You could choose solo Youmu, I suppose, although I still find her shot a bit cumbersome to control.

The Scarlet Team does fine, though. Sakuya is unimpressive, but gets the job done against the stage enemies, and Remilia's shot is both powerful and very flexible, making dealing with bosses much easier. Not having to deal with Marisa just sweetens the deal.

I practiced about one year frequently. I haven't count how many times I faced Marisa and took me almost all of my lives.
If your motorical skills, reaction time and your keyboard aren't the best for this genre, then it's obvious that the result will be unsatisfying like in my case.

I like Touhou although I suck in the shooters. The reason I tried to get back into this by playing TPDP, a game I have definitely more fun although the battle system is hard to understand for me. Idk without looking at a chart everytime which puppet and attack is good against the opponent. SInce I have almost no experience with Pokémon I have to get used on the battles but it's easier to learn than to play the shooters.

37 minutes ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

People told me that IN shall be the "easiest" part...... easiest part for all of them who can actually deal with the gameplay of this series.

My biggest success has been reaching stage 6 in about two years.

Two years? That sounds a little excessive. It took me half a year to get my first Normal 1cc when I first started playing Touhou, and that's having had no prior experience with SHMUPs or Bullet Hells.
Reaction time and motorical skills can also be trained to an extent. For instance, I can hit the deathbombing window pretty reliably, which in some games is as low as 6 frames. That obviously wasn't the case when I first started playing.

IN is extremely, and by that I mean extremely memorization-based, especially since the familiar system for bosses means you'll sometimes need to arbitrarily unfocus during boss battles, and the game-specific mechanics (like switching between two characters or gaining Time Points) are pretty complex in general.
Have you tried Ten Desires instead? Ten Desires is probably the easiest game in the series overall (especially once you get to Normal/Hard) and much easier to understand mechanically.

Also, I'd recommend getting a gamepad to play Touhou. While some people insist that the keyboard is the way to go, I definitely find the games a lot more playable with a gamepad, especially if you can get it to work with the D-Pad.

Another piece of advice I can give is to watch replays, even if it's your own. Figuring out how to deal with a pattern that gives you trouble is much easier when you're not actively trying to dodge it.

Also first I apologize to you for annoying you with my same kind of posts like every year. I guess it's like the third time that I'm whining that I can't go further in IN.

You guys gave me lots of tips but they didn't really help just because my motorical skills and reaction time aren't good enough for this kind of genre.

Also of course I thought about using a gamepad but for some reason I can't configurate them on my laptop. My laptop simply doesn't recognize them. 
So I have to stuck with my huge keyboard, a very awkward hardware to play Touhou.

Also first I apologize to you for annoying you with my same kind of posts like every year. I guess it's like the third time that I'm whining that I can't go further in IN.

You guys gave me lots of tips but they didn't really help just because my motorical skills and reaction time aren't good enough for this kind of genre.

Also of course I thought about using a gamepad but for some reason I can't configurate them on my laptop. My laptop simply doesn't recognize them. 
So I have to stuck with my huge keyboard, a very awkward hardware to play Touhou.

Wow, this thread being active again and me paying attention to my (neglected) playlist of Touhou music is making me want to play Touhou again.
I played a bit of MS the other day and it was pretty fun.

I should play PoFV so I can actually see Eiki in-game.