Undertale

Cerbuirus

I had found it yesterday, now it's just waiting for me to play. Thanks, anyway.

Same here. On that note, how often does Steam go on sale before the Winter Sale? Because I'm really looking forward to buy this game (and XCOM, which I fell in love with).

A friend of mine said it usually has an "autumn sale", but not always, and that it happens in mid or late October.

Steam always has something on sale, with how popular the game is it will probably go on sale during autumn.

Even if they skip the autumn sale, which is unlikely, they'll probably put it on sale with a daily deal or weekend deal.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is popular, but it is also too recent to have a nice discount. It will probably have a -10% discount (and go down to 16 or 14 bucks where I am from. Yes, I'm bad with math to the point I don't know what 90% of 18 is), like what happened to Rocket League.

Edited by Rapier

@Deviddo:

It takes some digging around in some unsavory paths to understand, but the first human (who true name is apparently supposedly Chara) is trying to control Frisk in a sort of pseudo-possession sense, and use Frisk to commit some . . . unsavory deeds. This is why you see "Chara" instead of Frisk in all the menus--though, if you paid attention to the dialogue, you'll notice that Asriel is the only person to actually call Frisk Chara, which (like the rest of the Undertale plot) is a direct result of his own rather unfortunate separation anxiety.

Everybody else in the underground refers to you as "child" or "human" or "Yo!" or something like that--this being because Frisk never tells them their name until achieving the true ending, which has a prerequisite of shunning all of Chara's omnicidal influences completely.

Apparently, Chara (as an influence on Frisk) is supposed to be a sort of demonic representation of every RPG insert-name-here protagonist, each of whose games usually having an objective (or at least a favorable result) involving the slaughter of endlessly respawning monsters--this being the most obvious connection they have with you, the likely player of these sorts of games. It didn't help, of course, that Chara (the fallen child) was already made to hate humanity long before even meeting Asriel. All this leads to the potential for a perfect storm where nothing survives in a world like Undertale, which flips the mechanics of these games of their head and follows them to their logical conclusion.

This actually clears EVERYTHING I had a problem with up, thank you.

So, are we supposed to be the demonic child, or not necessarily so?

alright so to make a serious post here

I loved this game it was really fun had a lot of good characters and the soundtrack is really really good

probably my favorite of 2015

also to anyone who played this game

which was your favorite boss theme

mine was

sans'

with muffet's closely behind

So, I played the demo.

How did this game make me feel sad for a character I interacted for five minutes? Toriel's battle, dialogue and death is almost heartbreaking. I'll even play again and see if I can change this ending somehow.

Thinking on buying it... which I probably will.

This actually clears EVERYTHING I had a problem with up, thank you.

So, are we supposed to be the demonic child, or not necessarily so?

Oh Heavens, no!

You the player are a distinct entity, but are most closely tied to Frisk.

From what I've read, the fallen child screws you both over at the end of a genocide route. This bars you from getting the true pacifist ending.

Recommendation for anyone going to play the game, bring tissues.

@Raiper,

[spoiler=that fight]

There are different ways to end Toriel's fight and depending on how you interacted with other monsters you can change Flowery's dialogue at the end.

Also, get to critically low hp and let her attack you.

I'd say open up the spoiler after giving the fight one more go.

[spoiler=Different Ways]

Keep selecting spare until the battle ends

Keep selecting spare until she stops attacking for 3ish turns, then attack her.

There are quite a few secrets and endings to go for in the demo.

[spoiler=Ending Factors]

Kill/save Toriel then reload and do the fight again. Either killing her or sparing her.

The game remembers what you did on previous saves and Flowery addresses it directly.

[spoiler=Two secrets]

Go back into Toriel's house after killing her, listen.

Go back to where you fell at the start after sparing her.

Edit: I just realized how many spoiler tags I have and how good the demo is.

Edited by zerosabers

Oh Heavens, no!

You the player are a distinct entity, but are most closely tied to Frisk.

From what I've read, the fallen child screws you both over at the end of a genocide route. This bars you from getting the true pacifist ending.

Oh.

Wait. I'm. I'm doing a Genocide Route after the Pacifist Route. Is this a TERRIBLE idea!? Also if Chara isn't me then I feel weird for naming them with my name.

Recommendation for anyone going to play the game, bring tissues.

@Raiper,

[spoiler=that fight]

There are different ways to end Toriel's fight and depending on how you interacted with other monsters you can change Flowery's dialogue at the end.

Also, get to critically low hp and let her attack you.

I'd say open up the spoiler after giving the fight one more go.

[spoiler=Different Ways]

Keep selecting spare until the battle ends

Keep selecting spare until she stops attacking for 3ish turns, then attack her.

There are quite a few secrets and endings to go for in the demo.

[spoiler=Ending Factors]

Kill/save Toriel then reload and do the fight again. Either killing her or sparing her.

The game remembers what you did on previous saves and Flowery addresses it directly.

[spoiler=Two secrets]

Go back into Toriel's house after killing her, listen.

Go back to where you fell at the start after sparing her.

Edit: I just realized how many spoiler tags I have and how good the demo is.

I went back into Toriel's house, but I saw nothing even after I revisited the rooms. When I went back the flower accused me of going back to murder her. I wonder if that is even possible. Nevermind, I derped. I need to kill her then do that.

Also, do you mean to go to the spot where the game started? ... That's so far...

I've killed her, then spared her all the way. Now I'll see what the third ending is about.

Is it possible for her to kill me while I have critical HP? Her attacks always miss.

Edited by Rapier

@Rapier,

You should be able to hear her ghost somewhere, though that might just be a rumor.

Yea, its probably not worth it since its only like 2 lines of dialogue.

The third ending is ;~;

There is a way, I'm guessing you can't pick up the ribbon. I've not tried it fully yet though, killing her is hard enough and I don't want to read what happens if she kills you.

Edited by zerosabers

alright so to make a serious post here

I loved this game it was really fun had a lot of good characters and the soundtrack is really really good

probably my favorite of 2015

also to anyone who played this game

which was your favorite boss theme

mine was

sans'

with muffet's closely behind

My favorite boss theme is

Mettaton EX's

. Muffet's is great too. I mean, they're all great.

For those who are talking about the demo, I'd say the game is well worth it. I just can't stop gushing about it to others!

As for me, Boss Theme Music that I love? The first Boss. Very heart-wrenching and I totally feel it left a huge impact on the rest of the game.

Undyne's boss battle theme reminds me so much of Magus. And the "wind howls" description in the save point drives it home.

The spiders' theme is also fun. I'm joining them in clapping along with the song's rhythm.

I can think of the worst. (Looking at you Jerry)

IMO, I really like Aaron and Madjick. Those two are cool as heck.

Gotta love Tsunderplane though.

especially in the True Pacifist Ending where you can talk to them again in Hotland

What do you think is the best normal enemy in this game?

And why is it the tsundereplane?

Well, I was too late to say Jerry is obviously the best enemy in the game right guys right

So um

temmie I guess

also moldbyg because "unhug" is quite an interesting way to appease a monster

Edited by maybe

Uh, not sure which I like, really.

Also, I think I played this game wrong. I went for the pacifist ending first (because the Act option is so amazing), and now... I'm going for the genocide route. Not sure if I can murder all the characters who were befriended in the first run in cold blood. :V

There's no such thing as a normal enemy in this game, they're all special.

If it counts, I really like the (true pacifist ending spoilers):

amalgam in Alphys's lab that is made up of a bunch of dogs or w/e.

EDIT-

Also, I think I played this game wrong. I went for the pacifist ending first (because the Act option is so amazing), and now... I'm going for the genocide route. Not sure if I can murder all the characters who were befriended in the first run in cold blood. :V

I am under the impression that if you do pacifist for your first run, you won't see content that shows up when you do a pacifist run after clearing the game once. I might be wrong - probably worth checking with other people here too.

I don't have the heart to do a genocide run. I've watched a couple segments of genocide runs.

Edited by Severian

I didn't know that. What I know is that attempting a pacifist run on the first time will lead to the neutral ending, and then to the pacifist run itself.

also, on Flowey

Flowey mixes Cosmic Horror with King Crimson's ability, wow. Dodging it's attacks is useless.

Also, from the normal enemies, I really like

the Amalgamate and Aaron

Edited by Rapier

I didn't know that. What I know is that attempting a pacifist run on the first time will lead to the neutral ending, and then to the pacifist run itself.

OH! That makes sense. I'm probably wrong then. Sorry for being confused.

Actually Aaron is pretty great too (thought he was a boss based on the trailer actually), second favourite.

On that note, I love how other enemies in this game sometimes react to your specific actions towards another monster, it tends to be really funny.