Scariest Game You've Ever Seen/Played?

Leif

It's Halloween month, so I thought it would be appropriate to make a topic discussing scary horror games.

What was the scariest game you've ever encountered?

For me, I watched an LP of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and it was by far the scariest experience in a video game I've ever had. No horror game has come close to what Amnesia has achieved, not even the Amnesia successor games--"Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs" and "Soma"--or predecessor games--Penumbra Series--that were done by the same company.

Everything about the game makes it the perfect horror experience. Sanity meter, collecting oil and tinderboxes, the ever looming presence of the shadow, the torture rooms, the bloody terrifying grunts and brutes, visual effects, and the sounds. There is only, like, two jumpscares in the game, one being a door that slams in your face in the refinery and the iron maiden doors that burst open when you enter a room in the choir. No cheap jumpscares in this game, that's for sure. Everything about Amnesia: The Dark Descent surpasses even the scariest of horror movies. When you are playing it, you feel as if you are locked in a hellish castle witnessing the most ****ed up stuff to even be conceived by a human mind.

TL;DR--Amnesia: The Dark Descent is my pick for the scariest game ever made and i will hear no other

What games are scary for you guys?

Edited by Leif

Silent Hill 3. Seriously. I've played (or seen others play) every Resident Evil game, I've seen Dead Space, I've seen Slender Man, I've seen...so many horror games. But none of them have ever given me the chills...except for Silent Hill. I don't know why, but Silent Hill genuinely unnerves me.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. I don't generally like horror games, but the 'sanity effects' (I even believe that Amnesia was inspired by Eternal Darkness) in that game were genius. Stuff like pretending to delete all your saves and the game going to blue screen of death (even if it can't occur on GC, it was still unnerving) just to fuck with you is just sadistic.

I suggest you try Eternal Darkness even if it is dated if you liked Amnesia, OP. It has only one jumpscare that I can recall, the rest is purely atmospherical.

Edited by Tryhard

Nanashi no game is pretty spooky, and its sequel, due to the atmosphere and build up

I'm currently playing the sequel actually, and I agree the atmosphere is quite nice

The topic: Corpse Party Repeated Fear and Book of Shadows: Not for the gore, but the everything else. It's pretty good for psychological horror, which is my favorite kind of horror.

Edited by Soledai

The scariest I've played is Luigi's Mansion just because of the goddamn baby.Just because of the baby.

The scariest one I've heard is Five Nights at Freddy's,partly because I'm a coward and stay away from horror games like they're the plague.