What is your least favorite Fire Emblem game?

Lantairu

144 members have voted

1. 1. Least favorite game

• Dark Dragon Sword of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery of the Emblem
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Thracia 776
    • Binding Blade
    • Blazing Sword
    • Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • New Mystery of the Emblem
    • Awakening
    • IF/Fates
    • Love them all!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^They even cut my second favorite character from the game, Wrys

Maybe, I'm well aware with the problems both games have, but they weren't that big of issues for me , and I'm just surprised to see that they are such major issues for other people.

Edited by MCProductions

What bugs me most about the cut content is that the cut characters were some of the more unique ones.

Like what was the game's only pirate, and the ballisticians.

Ballisticians would not have worked as playable characters in FE3, and pirates are not significantly different from fighters in this game, so I don't see them as a loss.

The only cut character in FE3 I would want back is Roger, and that's mostly because of his recruitment.

Ballisticians would not have worked as playable characters in FE3, and pirates are not significantly different from fighters in this game, so I don't see them as a loss.

The only cut character in FE3 I would want back is Roger, and that's mostly because of his recruitment.

It's more about the idea. Like, there's this character with a unique class and a unique portrait, let's cut him out but keep Bord and Cord.

How could I forget Roger. FE3 book 1 getting rid of the greatest recruitment in the series, that alone might just make it my least favorite version of FE1.

It's more about the idea. Like, there's this character with a unique class and a unique portrait, let's cut him out but keep Bord and Cord.

How is a class unique if it does the exact same thing as another class?

How is a class unique if it does the exact same thing as another class?

Well there's only minor stuff like a different sprite and water walking.

I don't care all that much when I'm playing, I never even use Darros anyway. But like I said, it's more about the idea. It doesn't make too much sense to me why they remade FE1 so soon after it came out along with their brand new game, especially if said remake would end up not having the full experience. What confuses me more is why some people claim FE3 book 1 is a better remake than Shadow Dragon.

It doesn't make too much sense to me why they remade FE1 so soon after it came out along with their brand new game, especially if said remake would end up not having the full experience.

Possibly it's because FE3 was a direct sequel to FE1 and they wanted to make sure people who played FE3 knew what happened in FE1 beforehand. Maybe.

I don't quite see why everyone (not literally) considers the Gaiden reqs a deal breaker (or more like exceptionally bad thing) either. I mean, the gaidens are pretty worthless on the whole, if you really care to recruit everyone and keep them alive the gaidens won't affect your playthrough at all. I understand that it's an annoyance and should've been done differently, but it's better than a flaw that renders the game tedious or similar, such as super long EPs that aren't skippable.

I personally enjoyed every playthrough of FE11 I've done, be it a random casual run, a Marth solo, a draft or whatever.

Personally, one of the things that would draw me to a remake is extra content. Poorly implemented extra content means I have less incentive to bother (and Shadow Dragon is guilty of this - in more ways than one). Also, most of the perks that Shadow Dragon has aren't enough to convince me it's worth playing in spite of its many flaws.

Well there's only minor stuff like a different sprite and water walking.

I don't care all that much when I'm playing, I never even use Darros anyway. But like I said, it's more about the idea. It doesn't make too much sense to me why they remade FE1 so soon after it came out along with their brand new game, especially if said remake would end up not having the full experience. What confuses me more is why some people claim FE3 book 1 is a better remake than Shadow Dragon.

Maybe that last part is more because of what Shadow Dragon DIDN'T do... I know it is for me.

It had really good battle animations!

Did it? Barely any of them stood out to me. The ones on the map were okay but that's only worth mentioning because they exist; they're not actually very interesting and just slow down what should be fast.

Maybe that last part is more because of what Shadow Dragon DIDN'T do... I know it is for me.

I can't quite say that's a good reason to say one is better than the other. I mean, if it doesn't meet your personal standards as well and disappointed you that's fine, but that shouldn't make the game any better or worse.

But what improvements did FE3 book 1 make that Shadow Dragon didn't?

Some of the maps (See: The Knorda Market map; may be more, but that one stands out the most).

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I would feel weird for putting FE:1 and FE:2 because they are old and it hasn't aged that well. No FE is objectively bad imo, it's just that some FEs have more problems like others, like what the OP said. For me, I would have to pick either Awakening or Sacred Stones.

Awakening because it just seems so different to me. I don't get the FE vibe from it for some reason. It's still good, my favorite game on the 3DS is Awakening, but the other FEs, imo, is at a higher level.

Sacred stones because I played that game too much that I'm basically burned out of it. I can't play it anymore for a while. That's why it is here.

Awakening.

It's a good game and I played it a lot, but IMO it's just not on par with the others.

If I have to go into detail, here's why:

• Removal of things I liked and found intriguing, like Fog of War, varied objectives, weapon weight, etc.
  • Too much focus on stats vs stats.
  • Too much content is behind grinding (no, you can't get all child units without it).
  • Terrible map design. The fact that my favorite map (Inigo's paralogue) is actually from another game breaks my heart.
  • Reclassing destroys unit uniqueness.
  • Ultimately, when I play it I don't feel like I'm playing a FE game.

I also have gripes with the (IMO terrible) story and (okay for the most part but horribly gimmicky)characters, but I can skip story cutscenes and supports, lol. Plus I dislike the artstyle and graphics, and the soundtrack is rather bland (but it has some great tracks).

Out of what I own/have access to, Probably going to have to go with Shadow Dragon. The gaiden chapter requirements and ugly as hell art style ruin it. Not sure If I'll ever finish it or make an effort to borrow it from my sister again.

FE1 is a fantastic game for it's time, truly nothing else really like it. It's also the first game so no standards are set. Can't really hate on the first game in the series.

I suppose the music in SD is its only redeeming quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm personally of the opinion that many of the things people hate about Awakening started with New Mystery, and that the only reason it isn't receiving as much criticism is because it doesn't have a worldwide release. What we know of Fates pretty much seals the deal for the older style of Fire Emblem games; we're never getting a good story again.

Like what, other than the Avatar?

I might actually prefer FE12 to 13. I prefer how reclass is handled, the maps are more fun. It also doesn't have the marriage system, and isn't a grindfest.

Edited by Radiant head

New Mystery shoehorned an Avatar, twisted characters around him, shoehorned a subplot with assassins that ended up making Altea's government look like a joke, let Michalis live, and whatever I haven't brought up. New Mystery started the paradigm shift that was continued into Awakening and cemented by Fates.

Well, just because it was introduced with FE12 it doesn't mean I can't dislike the fact that Awakening doesn't have those mechanics.

Reclassing is present in Shadow Dragon and it was born in that game, and I didn't like it there either.

By the way, I did not play SD much, but I remember disliking it for not having mechanics I was used to have... granted, I was younger and I had played less FEs. I wonder if I'd still dislike it if I played it now.

I can't comment too much on story aspects, since I never played the "untwisted" FE3. Most of my problems with Awakening go beyond story since I usually skip the cutscenes anyway, and in general most FE games don't have good stories or characters.

Edited by Radiant head

New Mystery shoehorned an Avatar, twisted characters around him, shoehorned a subplot with assassins that ended up making Altea's government look like a joke, let Michalis live, and whatever I haven't brought up. New Mystery started the paradigm shift that was continued into Awakening and cemented by Fates.

It also shoehorns every single Akaneia character that wasn't canonically dead at that point into a playable spot in the roster, most of them showing up out of nowhere, getting a single intro line and then we never hear from them again outside of the (very badly written) Avatar supports. I have no idea why they did this, as the roster is pretty big already even with the original FE3B2 cast. Was it really necessary to bring EVERYONE back?

The Wolfguard were the worst offenders. They're supposed to be loyal to a fault, and here they're recruited in the most ridiculous way possible, through a chain of conversations? Get the hell outta here.

It also shoehorns every single Akaneia character that wasn't canonically dead at that point into a playable spot in the roster, most of them showing up out of nowhere, getting a single intro line and then we never hear from them again outside of the (very badly written) Avatar supports. I have no idea why they did this, as the roster is pretty big already even with the original FE3B2 cast. Was it really necessary to bring EVERYONE back?

The Wolfguard were the worst offenders. They're supposed to be loyal to a fault, and here they're recruited in the most ridiculous way possible, through a chain of conversations? Get the hell outta here.

I'm actually really happy EVERYONE was brought back.