Which characters NEED to be reclasssed?

Minischew

As much as I love reclassing, I personally find it much more interesting to reclass simply for skills and then play with the characters in their original classes (i.e. unique color scheme classes). However, there are always a couple of characters that do horribly in their original classes, and have to be reclassed to reach their full potential.

For instance, when I was playing Awakening, I felt that I had to reclass Panne to a Wyvern Lord to actually utilize her. The Taguel class was, to put it bluntly, pretty useless, and I didn't really see much use in keeping her cooped up in that tree. In a similar vein, I've heard that the Herb Merchant class tree is pretty bad, and that Midoriko should switch out immediately in order to not lag behind in speed.

Of course, the need for reclassing doesn't always have to be based on the class's capability. For instance, I've heard that Mitama, despite her priest father, is actually a physical unit, and should also be reclassed to a physical class (I've seen a Dread Fighter Mitama in a YouTube video). I've also read on here (I can't recall the user who wrote about it-- sorry!) that Hinata makes a better tank if he immediately reclasses into Oni Savage to take advantage of the class's DEF growth rates.

Now, I haven't actually played Fates, which is why I'm posing this question in the first place. I know that you can buy seals in an unlimited quantity (from other people's shops), but I'd still like to allocate them efficiently, and get the most use out of them.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Minischew

Hmmm, well any Peg Warrior should be reclassed if you really want to use them offensively. Yuugiri is okay but everyone else should be a Holy Lancer or something of the sorts.

Felicia and Jakob tend to work better outside their original Maid/Butler classes being better at Strategist and Great Knight respectively.

If you plan on using Odin, he probably will work better as a Trueblade since if you want a magic user, Nyx is your gal and Odin is just bad at magic.

I can't really think of anyone else currently but I tend to like Silas and Sophie as Brave Heroes versus Paladins or Great Knights.

Hinoka serves much, much better as a Holy Lancer.

Asama's massive offensive growths and solid bases are wasted as a priest for sure.

Mozume functions better as a bowman, especially in Nohr where she can take down the several higher-leveled Pegasus Warriors early-game.

In Hoshido, Jakob can function a little better early on if you reclass him to Great Knight or Paladin.

Camilla's magic is poor and she really benefits from the immediate boosts that come from a reclass to Dragon Master.

Odin is outclassed by Nyx, Elise and Leo and only really serves a niche as a Samurai, although he's not incredible in that role either, to be honest.

Really the only units that need to reclass are Odin and Mozume. Luna and Lazward also perform better when reclass, but are still pretty good in their base class. I guess Asama also would like to reclass. Everyone else is better in their base class line.

I've read some things about Effie!Mitama, but those, to my knowledge, didn't state what class she was in...

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Most units are good enough in their base class.

Some of them may become a better unit. <- Is this the meaning of "NEED"?

But for most of them, their are going to be different good units. It is just "interesting" and hard to say better or not.

Also there are units who may want the skills/growth but not the class.

Aptitude is the only good thing of Villager. Mozume already have it at the beginning so she may want a reclassing.

We reclass Falicia/Jakob because they get the lv15 skills quite early. After getting a lot of powerful skills, returning to Maid/Butler is not a bad idea if you have enough money.
Revenant Knight!Camilla is good but Wyvern Lord!Camilla will be better.
Samurai!Odin isn't better than Dark Mage!Odin... You are just telling yourself "I have paid 2000 on him so I much use him", and almost all units are usable after training.
Shura is a better class for Tsukuyomi.
Berserker!Berka has high hit rates even with Roundhouse.
Strategist!Leo gives up tanking but gets higher Spd&Mag and staves.
Trueblade/Lodestar makes Xander faster.
Sing!Azura likes Sun God from Golden-kite Warrior.
Bow Kinght!Zero likes Pass from Adventurer.

Samurai!Odin isn't better than Dark Mage!Odin... You are just telling yourself "I have paid 2000 on him so I much use him", and almost all units are usable after training.

Agreed. Odin is one of the few characters who doesn't want a "reclass" so much as he wants a "DLC class." Odin wants Dark Falcon liek whoa. A class that will boost his STR, MAG, SPD, and RES enormously, giving his natural HP, SKL, and DEF all the stats he needs to succeed? Plus 9 base SPD and the Speed +2 skill just to give him that little bump he might need in certain situations? Yes please.

From the top of my head:

1) Mozume: Training a fragile archer is much easier than training a fragile melee unit. Also, the Underdog skill is pretty shitty.

2) Hinoka: Hinoka lancer is better statwise.

3) Midoriko: If you really want to maximize her speed and luck stats and utilize her passive, she should be reclassed as either a Basara or a Falcon Warrior. Hell, Midoriko as a Maid is even viable.

4) Effie and Charlotte: If you are playing the Nohr route, reclass them into Maids. You need many people to use Hidden Weapons and the Nohr route is infamous for the lack of Hidden Weapon users (besides, I kinda preer Silas as my main axe/lance user). In IK, I would keep them in their base class since you already have enough hidden weapon users.

5) Strategist Leo is better.

6) Asama should be reclassed into some sort of physical damage dealing class (more preferably either a General, Weapon Master, or Trueblade).

7) Hinata and Subaki should be reclass into a tank class. Unfortunately, they don't have much tanky class options.

Edited by Dark Paladin X

From the top of my head:

1) Mozume: Training a fragile archer is much easier than training a fragile melee unit. Also, the Underdog skill is pretty shitty.

2) Hinoka: Hinoka lancer is better statwise.

3) Midoriko: If you really want to maximize her speed and luck stats and utilize her passive, she should be reclassed as either a Basara or a Falcon Warrior. Hell, Midoriko as a Maid is even viable.

4) Effie and Charlotte: If you are playing the Nohr route, reclass them into Maids. You need many people to use Hidden Weapons and the Nohr route is infamous for the lack of Hidden Weapon users (besides, I kinda preer Silas as my main axe/lance user). In IK, I would keep them in their base class since you already

5) Strategist Leo is better.

6) Asama should be reclassed into some sort of physical damage dealing class (more preferably either a General, Weapon Master, or Trueblade).

7) Hinata and Subaki should be reclass into a tank class. Unfortunately, they don't have much tanky class options.

Bold: What's this supposed to say?

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Ϲharlie, October 25, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Ϲharlie, October 25, 2015 - No reason given

Oh come on...

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Hinata has the perfect tank option available to him right off the bat: reclass into Oni Savage. Boom, done.

I don't know, I'm not sure letting him stick with E-rank for a while just for the extra def is a good idea. You don't need much tanking on Hoshido in early/mid-game, even on Lunatic (or at least not something that other available units can't handle on their own). And in mid/late-game, you also have Crimson. Can't speak for IK though.

Edited by Ryo

I don't know, I'm not sure letting him stick with E-rank for a while just for the extra def is a good idea. You don't need much tanking on Hoshido in early/mid-game, even on Lunatic (or at least not something that other available units can't handle on their own). And in mid/late-game, you also have Crimson. Can't speak for IK though.

The E-rank/extra DEF tradeoff will of course need to be a personal judgment call from person to person. However, I was specifically addressing the claim that Hinata doesn't have a tanky class option, which implies that one needs him to tank to begin with. In such an event, that extra DEF is definitely worth an E weapon rank because it doesn't matter how much damage he does, it only matters if he can wall adequately for everyone else. Or at least, I should think that would be the case.

Odin is outclassed by Nyx, Elise and Leo and only really serves a niche as a Samurai, although he's not incredible in that role either, to be honest.

I found this out for my Nohr playthrough. Reclassing him to a Samurai gives him terrible bases as a melee fighter and he starts with E rank swords. He can't do much damage or take a hit. Add on to that, you already get 2 mercenaries so outside of the Samurai skills, they can already do what he does and better. Best left as a Dark Mage, and only use if you want more early game magic.

He'll keep his Sword rank if he promotes to Blacksmith so that's a plus.

Just curious but are Weapon Masters remotely tank-ish?

They're a balanced class. Stat-wise, they are basically Brave Heroes with lances. Brave Hero, Weapon Master and Blacksmith are all just durable infantry with swords and axes and almost indistinguishable caps. There is barely any difference between Blacksmith Hinata and Weapon Master Hinata, honestly.

If you plan to go Blacksmith, you might as well just go Weapon Master instead for the higher SPD early-game and ability to use his sword rank right away. He doesn't need to reclass at all, really. He has enough base SPD to function well as a Samurai and Weapon Master works just as well as Blacksmith in the end. While the immediate +5 DEF on reclass is nice, by the time he promotes his DEF as a Blacksmith will only be about 3 points higher on average than his DEF as a Weapon Master. It's 18 SPD and 20 DEF, or 16 SPD and 23 DEF.

Edited by gayserbeam

Most units are best in their base class tree because they have a base weapon rank in it.

There's nothing in this game like Taguel Panne who desperately needed to be reclassed.