Why are people mad that Cloud is in Smash?

DarkDestr0yer61

If you don't like Cloud, then don't buy him and relish in the fact that if you do come across him in For Glory or something, you can at least beat the ever-loving mako out of him.

Personally, I'm buying him so I can beat him up and play as a character I rather enjoy from my woefully incomplete playthroughs of Final Fantasy VII and Crisis Core.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect we'll get Those Who Fight and Those Who Fight Further, being the perfect length and being in the trailer, and Opening ~ Bombing Mission for being THE iconic theme of FF7's opening and our introduction to Midgar.

I love all of those. Bombing Mission was my childhood because I never made it past the Scorpion as a kid.

Someone needs to expand their horizons, I mean if you limit yourself to just Nintendo consoles, you miss out on quite the number of great things.

Smash has so many iconic people, why not have the RPG dude? I mean sure it didn't make too much sense, but the implications are very real and very cool that we have so many gaming legends in the same game. Is this too much for people?

Snake also fit in his own way, and Kojima wanted his son's wish fufilled, is that really so awkward? They managed to make him one of the funnest characters in Brawl and introduced Nintendo fans to MGS, if they hadn't been via the Twin Snakes already.

Is it so wrong to see this as a coming together of Legends and not a "Publicity stunt"? Negativity about this whole thing is downright baffling to me.

We still have 2 more characters to go, and they may be more controversial than this, I hope people are prepared, if they are.

I play on Nintendo and PC, so don't you worry about my gaming horizon.

As I said, the thing is that this guy had never anything to do with Nintendo, which is something fairly required in my opinion.

I mean, if they went with Ark or Chrono, this would've been an entirely different story. I'm not mad or anything, though.

Someone needs to expand their horizons, I mean if you limit yourself to just Nintendo consoles, you miss out on quite the number of great things.

Since when does money grow on trees?

Since when does money grow on trees?

This is true, but still. PC! Partway there, also friends could have games too.

I play on Nintendo and PC, so don't you worry about my gaming horizon.

As I said, the thing is that this guy had never anything to do with Nintendo, which is something fairly required in my opinion.

I mean, if they went with Ark or Chrono, this would've been an entirely different story. I'm not mad or anything, though.

My apologies for the comment, I do understand where you are coming from.

I just have a very "What's done is done" sort of feel with this.

People please stop calling Cloud an emotionless super sad emo or an edgy fuck. Don't touch anything from the sequels and prequels and spin offs of FFVII because all of those games got his character wrong.

Cloud can be insecure, depressed, always worried (for a good reason), but he can also be brave, very kindhearted and compassionate, funny, snarky and shy.

Not to mention his moments of depression all have a reason to be. He is not a spoiled rich kid who hates everything, he is an ex-solder with mental traumas and who saw the girl he very probably loved die in front of him, he is a young man who doesn't know his past and is afraid of his own self.

Consider that when FFVII came out this was very new for a lot of RPG newcomers and for some RPG gamers too, and on top of it, it was convincing, and Cloud's depression is still filled with redemption and still ends with him trying to overcome it and be brave.

It's because other less good companies tried monkeying FFVII's plot and heavy themes that now "whiny" protagonists are a thing. Not to mention Squaresoft themselves kinda did it themselves with Squall, and that FFVII still has a very important environmentalist theme (so all the "whining" is not all there is in the game).

Yeah, I'm sorta off topic here, but I want people to know Cloud is more than what the Complications of Final Fantasy VII or Dissidia want you to think.

For the record, Cloud has been on at least SIX games on Nintendo systems.

- Final Fantasy Tactics

- Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

- Kingdom Hearts: Re-Coded

- Theathrhtym: Final Fantasy

- Theathrhtym: Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

- Final Fantasy Explorers

At this point Smash Bros. seems to be celebrating video game history in general rather than just Nintendo history. We got Pong representation in an Assist Trophy of all things.

Edit: Relevant to current discussion.

http://m.imgur.com/1ZsRkhG

Is that a bad thing though?

For the record, Cloud has been on at least SIX games on Nintendo systems.

- Final Fantasy Tactics

The other 5 are on Nintendo systems but Cloud is not in Tactics Advance or A2, and Tactics has never been on a Nintendo system. Only PS1 and PSP. So he's only been in 5. I don't know if his role in KH is significant or not considering he is a bonus boss in the first game. Theatrhythm is just an insane Who's Who of Final Fantasy characters with the bare minimum story and a whole lot of fan favourites in music selection. Cloud is only slightly more relevant than Lightning in his relation to Nintendo. Even Vaan has more going for him through major appearances in Revenant Wings and FFTA2. But FF as a series does have its place in Smash Bros and they picked the most iconic protagonist even if he isn't the most relevant one to a cast of Nintendo characters.

I understand that Cloud Strife hasn't really been on a Nintendo console (even though he has appeared in 5 games on various Nintendo systems) but:

1) Final Fantasy really started on Nintendo (even though the first Final Fantasy game was actually released on Multiple consoles) despite the fact that it only really became 'famous' I guess with VII.

2) Cloud is Final Fantasy's most iconic character.

Therefore, I think Cloud does deserve a place. I will also say that I was amazed and really happy when he was announced, as I really wasn't expecting him. Also... If he is in Smash, does that mean Final Fantasy VII is coming to the NX? That would be awesome!

It's pretty likely that Cloud is a publicity stunt.

But, honestly? There's nothing wrong with that.

They wanted to grab attention and they did it. The internet it's going crazy right now, with haters and lovers alike. Everyone is a talking about this. People aren't going to stop talking about it anytime soon. And you know what they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Besides, it's no the first time Smash Bros introduces a new character as publicity stunt.

Take Roy and Mega Man for example, those characters were publicity stunts as well.

The salt is real, there will always be people who will complain that X character is undeserving or that they wanted somebody else instead. Clearly the only option is to include a character so unpopular that it enrages absolutely everyone, that way it'd be totally fair.

It really makes me mad when people have the gall to make petitions like that because they feel that their opinion is so important that they have the need to do something about it. But honestly, get off your high horse, grow up and deal with it.

By taking away Cloud, you're potentially disappointing the people who were hyped up for him because of your own selfishness. And it's not like they're forcing you to use buy/use him so if you don't like him, don't buy him while the people who DO like him, will buy him.

Everyone wins.

Don't rain on other people's parade my god.

Edited by carefreejules

The other 5 are on Nintendo systems but Cloud is not in Tactics Advance or A2, and Tactics has never been on a Nintendo system. Only PS1 and PSP. So he's only been in 5. I don't know if his role in KH is significant or not considering he is a bonus boss in the first game. Theatrhythm is just an insane Who's Who of Final Fantasy characters with the bare minimum story and a whole lot of fan favourites in music selection. Cloud is only slightly more relevant than Lightning in his relation to Nintendo. Even Vaan has more going for him through major appearances in Revenant Wings and FFTA2. But FF as a series does have its place in Smash Bros and they picked the most iconic protagonist even if he isn't the most relevant one to a cast of Nintendo characters.

My mistake. Could have sworn Tactics was on a Nintendo system. Guess I got it confused.

While I don't think Cloud is the best rep from SE, I do think his various minor appearances are good enough for his spot in SSB. He's also iconic enough, so that adds a lot. Although I definitely would have gone with a more Relevant-to-Nintendo character for a SE rep like Crono, Agnes or Terra (Sora and Cecil can go die in a fire for all I care).

But as I've said, I think this might mean the FFVII remake will be on NX as well. We'll see.

My mistake. Could have sworn Tactics was on a Nintendo system. Guess I got it confused.

While I don't think Cloud

is the best rep from SE, I do think his various minor appearances are good enough for his spot in SSB. He's also iconic enough, so that adds a lot. Although I definitely would have gone with a more Relevant-to-Nintendo character for a SE rep like Crono, Agnes or Terra (Sora and Cecil can go die in a fire for all I care).

But as I've said, I think this might mean the FFVII remake will be on NX as well. We'll see.

Umm... care to elaborate? That's a bit of a strong thing to say, considering (from what I've heard) the DS remake of IV expanded quite a bit upon the story and characters, as well as doing pretty well critically. Offhandedly saying a beloved character can just "go die in a fire" with little to no context seems a tad... harsh.

I don't think so, but as this thread proves some people think Smash Bros. should only be about Nintendo history.

Umm... care to elaborate? That's a bit of a strong thing to say, considering (from what I've heard) the DS remake of IV expanded quite a bit upon the story and characters, as well as doing pretty well critically. Offhandedly saying a beloved character can just "go die in a fire" with little to no context seems a tad... harsh.

It simply means I don't care for those characters. No need to take it so personal.

Not really, but Nintendo nowadays is in no position to neglect 3rd parties from Smash, especially when one of the problems of the Wii U is the lack of 3rd party support compared to the other baddies, like Sony or Microsoft.

Edited by Great Lord Diego

The 3DS has a bunch of 3rd party titles though, or at least as far as I'm aware

That's true!

That's why I said "Wii U"

3DS is great, and I enjoy it's huge library, but Nintendo feeds from the main console, not the handhelds. :3: