Chapter 5 Cutscene + 15 Minutes gameplay footage in English

RidellCrimea

Oh thank goodness, the Nohr sibs in cutscene were better than the Smash dub, phew. Although now I'm weirded out by Hinoka's voice...

Edit: Also just checked the Chapter 6 transcript and they're making Hinoka more aggressively anti-Nohr (dang it).

Edited by Damosel

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, the localization made the dialogue so much more straightforward. I quite like it.

It definitely benefited my opinion of Takumi's personality (feels so much less childish already), though I'm not quite sure how I feel about Xander, atm... Not only is his VA's line delivery kinda curious at times (I like the use of the higher register, but it feels like some low lines should be high and high lines low, ya know?), but the way localization reinterpreted Marx's dialogue... I'm not so sure I like some of the changes... I guess I just need to see more to decide.

I did like the VAs though. Hinoka was weird and Marx a lil off at times (but not bad), but other than that, I really liked 'em!

Mikoto is probably voiced by Marisha Ray (Margaret in the new Persona 4 games). Sounds a lot like her, at least.

I have mixed feelings about Kaze, Hinoka and Mikoto, but everyone else was fine. I definitely prefer English!Azura's speaking voice to her Japanese and her singing sounds pretty good to me.

Thank goodness the decision scene is so much better in the game! Now I have no worries about Xander and Elise, I liked their voices.

The dialogue reads a lot smoother now, and it's handled pretty well! I was relieved by what they did (Draconic Rage > Water Breath) and didn't (Takumi, Yukimura) translate.

As for voices--

- Ryoma is great. Definitely Matt Mercer.

- The Hoshidan siblings in general were very good. So was Mikoto, she sounds very regal.

- Corrin gets better every time I hear him. He's a little deeper than I was expecting, but good.

- Azura's pretty good. Her singing is a lot better.

- Garon is Garon, deep and intimidating. A bit too cartoonishly evil, but so is he.

- I'm of the opposite opinion here, I thought Kaze was really good. Not a big fan of what I heard of Rinkah, though.

- The Nohrian siblings were hit-or-miss. Leo and Camilla are fine, Elise made me cringe a bit but not as much as Smash!Elise, and Xander...maybe it's because I'm used to him having the deep baritone, but he sounded bad to me. Maybe I just need to get used to it, who knows.

Overall, the VA work seems to be high quality, same as Awakening.

I watched only a little so I don't spoil myself. Such a pretty song. :3 And Ryoma sounds awesome too! I don't think he sounds quite the same as he did in the E3 trailer though. o.O I thought he sounded sexier, close to Lon'qu's voice (which is why I thought he was Travis Willingham). Here, he sounds closer to Chrom, aka Matthew Mercer. Huh...

Btw, I think I sound similar to Azura, and I can sing pretty well according to people who have heard me too, so I recorded myself. :P

I'm about 90% sure that Hinoka is voiced by Veronica Taylor.

When she said "Nohrian scum!" it immediately reminded me of Ash Ketchum.

Hey that's not fair because Kyle Herbert is also a god so it's okay. Also the quality of Awakening's dub is quite a bit higher than this from what I've been hearing so far.

Kaze will take some getting used to. Maybe they should've gotten Kyle for him again :P

I wish Kyle didn't tell us that he wasn't in any FE projects. That made me sad :(

Why has Elise's and Xandar's voices slightly changed?! They were different than it was in the Smash demonstration. ...And by the way...like Hinoka's, Rinkah's, Camilla's, Sakura's better than the Jap version.

Disliked Mikoto's.

Hers is worse than Jap's.

I'm pretty sure that Garon was Travis Willingham. He sounded amazing, as always

Yeah, doesn't mean he didn't also do Ryoma. Several voice actors did two characters in Awakening. Kyle Hebert did Frederick and Validar, for example.

Oh thank goodness, the Nohr sibs in cutscene were better than the Smash dub, phew. Although now I'm weirded out by Hinoka's voice...

Edit: Also just checked the Chapter 6 transcript and they're making Hinoka more aggressively anti-Nohr (dang it).

Well...this is probably to avoid sadness amongst some of the audience when Hoshido is a peaceful community and what your doing on Nohr is unjust. Figures that they were going to make them more rebellious. -.-

Hoshido is supposed to be devoid of evil dang it!

Edited by Lin_Lee_Koo

It certainly would bring more unneeded fanservice to the table with Hoshido's soft nature which is bad for the game's mechanics being evil enough as it is. ;_;

Changing them however is alot worse. -.-

Edited by Lin_Lee_Koo

Well...this is probably to avoid sadness amongst some of the audience when Hoshido is a peaceful community and what your doing on Nohr is unjust. Figures that they were going to make them more rebellious. -.-

Hoshido is supposed to be devoid of evil dang it!

Thing is Takumi used to be the only aggressively anti-Nohr out of the Hoshido royal sibs (with his "I don't trust you OR Aqua" rant). Hinoka never used phrases like "Nohrian scum" so... I'll just be watching to see how localization tweaked her character. I just hope they didn't do anything too weird.

Edited by Damosel

Thing is Takumi used to be the only aggressively anti-Nohr out of the Hoshido royal sibs (with his "I don't trust you OR Aqua" rant). Hinoka never used phrases like "Nohrian scum" so... I'll just be watching to see how localization tweaked her character. I just hope they didn't so anything too weird.

Well the scene in the city give me the impression that the "Hoshido is the ultimate good" is still here so I don't think they've made a lot of change.

Sakura's mature sounding voice should be swapped with Azura's soft voice but ehh whatever, they both sound pretty good.

Takumi's voice actor actually makes him sound a lot more hateful than his Japanese counterpart, I think that is a step up. His dialogue pretty much more antagonistic here.

Corrin's voice is not too my liking, I felt like it was way too bland and lacked the emotion. (given his character and story maybe that can shape up to something.)

Can't comment on Mikoto, Rinkah, Kaze, Garon, and Yukimura.

I'm sorry but Raijinto? Seriously? Can't they go with Raijinken or just went with Raijin Katana? weird sword name aside, Ryoma's voice is fantastic.

Honestly, Marx's voice sound okay but I can't take him seriously with this dialogue. "Come home, little prince. We can live as a family once more!"

Camilla sounds pretty sweet while Hinoka's is tomboyish deep. They bound fit their character and voice.

Elise.......ugh

Rather... it feels like localization just made everyone's personalities 'stronger,' per say? Like Hinoka was always anti-Nohr, but her dialogue was more reserved. And Takumi, instead of being kinda flustered when Kamui points out the issues in his one statement, is much more self-assured about the thing. Then you've got Marx, who's more certain about Kamui returning to him, seemingly viewing it as more of a definite. Even Sakura's more outgoing.

The only person I kinda thought it hurt was Marx, but it's a lil too early for me to really decide anything.

Edited by blinkingbrave

Thing is Takumi used to be the only aggressively anti-Nohr out of the Hoshido royal sibs (with his "I don't trust you OR Aqua" rant). Hinoka never used phrases like "Nohrian scum" so... I'll just be watching to see how localization tweaked her character. I just hope they didn't do anything too weird.

I'm actually liking this. Hoshido's still by and large a "Mary Suetopia", so more racism against Nohr is appreciated and evens things out a little.

I like the changes, too; making the Hoshidan siblings more aggressive towards Nohr helps even out the gray and grey morality, and it makes Hoshido seem less "pure good", which were some of my biggest issues with the JP version.

I was hoping Elise would sound more like Lissa in a sense. I thought Kate Higgins' portrayal was spot on for the childish younger sister (she even does the "Joker" female voice in Xenoblade Chronicles X I believe).

Ryoma and Sakura both sounded on point. So did Leo and what little we heard of Camilla.

The jury's still out on Xander, Hinoka and Takumi for me.

Everyone else sounded okay I suppose. I guess this is what I get for listening to the Japanese voices for all these months.

I mean.... I like them.

Yukimura's voice reminds me a bit of, funnily enough, Roy Campbell's. The only line I didn't care for of Suzukaze's was the "stay calm" but otherwise I think his voice is fine.

Oh shit we got kidnapped by Charles vi Britannia!

I don't know why everyone's complaining about Raijinto. Raijintou is a very valid way to translate 雷神刀, and it is standard romanization procedure to drop the u from the long ou and uu combinations. This is why Ryouma->Ryoma and you rarely see Jotaro Kujo written as Joutarou Kuujou.

-tou is a fairly standard way to write katana as a part of a longer word, while katana's generally used when 刀 is used by itself. -ken would be extremely inaccurate because that denotes 剣, or Tsurugi, which is a straight sword, often double-edged and more stabby than slashy and not a katana like Raijintou.