Chapter 5 Cutscene + 15 Minutes gameplay footage in English

RidellCrimea

Charles zi Britannia is voiced by Michael McConnohie. I thought Garon sounded more like Travis Willingham…. am I wrong?

No you're right. It's just I can't help but remember it when I hear him speak. Sorry lmao.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall I liked them, much better the the Smash trailer, thank God.

Ryoma-YAAAAASSSSSS!!!! I really liked his voice. It suited him very well.

Xander-Meh. I have no real opinion, but I don't like it as much as his Jap voice.

Hinoka-I actually like it, despite the little we got. Just, her laugh was horrible.

Camilla-Decent. Again though I will need to hear more.

Takumi-I really like it. It just fits him.

Leo-Same with the above.

Sakura-I like it much more then Smash. She sounded to mature in Smash, but here it was a bit 'younger' sounding, if that is a thing.

Elise-It was snot bad per say, but it was not good either.

Mikoto-I liked her. She sounds very regal and it suits her.

Garon-I hope it is Travis Willingham. I love his voice and Garon just sounds nice with it. Just very cartoony though.

Azura-The singing was better then expected thank God. But her laugh, like all the others were very cringy.

Corrin-I don't like it. I hope we get better options then this one.

Yukimura-Not gonna lie I had to pause since for some reason I thought is was Professor Oak. I really like it though.

As for Rinkah and Kaze, I have no opinion since we only really heard one line each, but they sound decent.

Sakura and Ryouma are pretty good.

Camilla, Leon and Mikoto were alright, although I have to get used to them more before I can truly judge.

Hinoka is eh, Azura is a bit too high-pitched (that one giggle of hers sounded fake as hell)

Garon was a bit too stereotypical.

Elise and Marx sounded way better than in the E3 trailer. Marx still needs a deeper voice but whatever.

Corrin doesn't sound very good. Way too artificial.

Now with Takumi, I don't think the voice is crap or anything, but his whole characterization comes off as a bit.. wrong. His mistrust of Kamui is definitly justified, but the reason behind him also shouting at Azura and being so aggressive about it, is that deep down he is also a very insecure young man who feels threatened by the 'outsiders' presence in his family. This is one of the main reasons I love his character so much.

I feel the translation makes him come across as way too confident and more grown up, which in turn destroys a lot of his character motivation and depth. Hope this isn't going to go into Henry territory.

I don't mind Hoshido getting more grey injected into them, but when its stuff like making characters who didn't show many signs of racism (such as, using racially charged insults- them being scum cause they're Nohrian, rather than cause they're the enemy) more racist, I can't really like that. The random Hoshido chapter bosses (on Nohr route) were plenty racist, but the royalty weren't really depicted on that same level- like Takumi's more pissed about events. And it was a sound bit for Hinoka so I'm a little worried they're going to reuse it liberally which would....really racist up her characterization. Which could be said to grey up Hoshido, but I'd argue at the cost of that character in particular.

Honestly I don't want to be rooted in one characterization vs another but *sigh* when trying to make fanwork that's "accurate" to a character I've never had the original script vs localization knowledge like I do with FE14. But that's all the whining about it I'll do for now.

The sound bits of just laughing is pretty weird when the repeat it so close together like with Corrin,

I didn't even notice that they left Takumi and Yukimura's names alone.

The voice acting is fine, I'll get more used to it once I hear it more since right now I'm more used to the Japanese ones, but I do think the laughing thing sounds WAY more awkward in English than in the Japanese. SO AWKWARD.

"Orphaned at such a...tender young age."

That line and the reading made me feel so uncomfortable. I actually cringed, but in a good way, since it was so well done and the creepiness was probably deliberate. At least now we know why Kamui is such creep/sexual predator.

Now with Takumi, I don't think the voice is crap or anything, but his whole characterization comes off as a bit.. wrong. His mistrust of Kamui is definitly justified, but the reason behind him also shouting at Azura and being so aggressive about it, is that deep down he is also a very insecure young man who feels threatened by the 'outsiders' presence in his family. This is one of the main reasons I love his character so much.

I feel the translation makes him come across as way too confident and more grown up, which in turn destroys a lot of his character motivation and depth. Hope this isn't going to go into Henry territory.

I hope they ruin him , I hope they ruin him , I hope they ruin him

I hope they ruin him , I hope they ruin him , I hope they ruin him

Don't know what prompted this, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

I forgot to add my opinion about Rinka and Kaze. Rinka sounds quite good to me, just a bit unfamiliar. Kaze's voice clips are too few to judge for certain, but it does sound a bit off.

I didn't even notice that they left Takumi and Yukimura's names alone.

The voice acting is fine, I'll get more used to it once I hear it more since right now I'm more used to the Japanese ones, but I do think the laughing thing sounds WAY more awkward in English than in the Japanese. SO AWKWARD.

Corrin sounds kinda like they have asthma. "Hahahaha *WHEEZE* ahahahaha."

"Orphaned at such a...tender young age."

That line and the reading made me feel so uncomfortable. I actually cringed, but in a good way, since it was so well done and the creepiness was probably deliberate. At least now we know why Kamui is such creep/sexual predator.

Garon taught him the tricks of how to get girls and your siblings into your room. Also to soundproof rooms.

I'm really glad the voice acting is significantly better in the actual game than in the Corrin Smash trailer and I'm generally really picky when it comes to dub actors.

Mikoto: I don’t know what else I was expecting from a motherly voice so it works.
Corrin: I'm getting used to it.
Yukimura: Good.
Ryouma: GOOD!!!!!
Hinoka: Meh, but I’ll probably warm up to it.
Azura: A little too soft spoken maybe? It's alright though.
Sakura: I actually like that she sounds a bit more mature than what I had imagined.
Takumi: God bless this grumpy piss baby
Kaze: Eh…………
Rinkah: It works.
Garon: Typical asshole voice, good.
Xander: OK. (I still imagine his voice to be a bit deeper though)
Camilla: Good (even though we only heard like two things from her, I can definitely sense that she's just as...sultry?? As she is in the Japanese)
Leon: GODS I LOVE HIS VOICE
Elise: Cute (Thank god she doesn’t sound as bratty as in the Corrin Smash trailer)
Edited by carefreejules

"Come back little prince" will always get me.

I don't know, I dig it. It really gets me hyped again for some reason, hearing the English voices and being able to read the text without pause. It's like I'm getting excited for a different game so I get to be disappointed all over again!!!!

Marx's voice is really, REALLY growing on me. In fact, the problems I have with his delivery are gone (was the Smash dub of that scene different? I'm really glad.)

Hinoka sounds bad, and I'll reserve judgement on Camilla for now.

Rather... it feels like localization just made everyone's personalities 'stronger,' per say? Like Hinoka was always anti-Nohr, but her dialogue was more reserved. And Takumi, instead of being kinda flustered when Kamui points out the issues in his one statement, is much more self-assured about the thing. Then you've got Marx, who's more certain about Kamui returning to him, seemingly viewing it as more of a definite. Even Sakura's more outgoing.

The only person I kinda thought it hurt was Marx, but it's a lil too early for me to really decide anything.

I dislike it. Granted, I have some bias from playing the Japanese version first but I think the vulnerability expressed in the Japanese version was more moving. Marx's uncertain "Come back to us" is more dramatic than the more matter-of-fact "We're your family" in the English version. Likewise, I'm worried Takumi's portrayal will make him sound like a prejudiced jerk instead of just being deeply insecure. That's the whole reason people grew to like him.

I'm actually liking this. Hoshido's still by and large a "Mary Suetopia", so more racism against Nohr is appreciated and evens things out a little.

I don't mind Hoshido getting more grey injected into them, but when its stuff like making characters who didn't show many signs of racism (such as, using racially charged insults- them being scum cause they're Nohrian, rather than cause they're the enemy) more racist, I can't really like that. The random Hoshido chapter bosses (on Nohr route) were plenty racist, but the royalty weren't really depicted on that same level- like Takumi's more pissed about events. And it was a sound bit for Hinoka so I'm a little worried they're going to reuse it liberally which would....really racist up her characterization. Which could be said to grey up Hoshido, but I'd argue at the cost of that character in particular.

Honestly I don't want to be rooted in one characterization vs another but *sigh* when trying to make fanwork that's "accurate" to a character I've never had the original script vs localization knowledge like I do with FE14. But that's all the whining about it I'll do for now.

The sound bits of just laughing is pretty weird when the repeat it so close together like with Corrin,

But is this really greying her character? Sure, calling people scum based on their nationality is "racist" but their grudge is justified. Nohr is still the evil empire and Hoshido the peaceful paradise. Unless Hinoka goes around kicking Nohrian puppies, her slurs are hardly disproportionate to what Nohrians did to her family. Keep in mind, they killed BOTH her parents (one recently) and kidnapped her brother.

Corrin sounds kinda like they have asthma. "Hahahaha *WHEEZE* ahahahaha."

Garon taught him the tricks of how to get girls and your siblings into your room. Also to soundproof rooms.

You're wrong. The OTHER characters sound-proofed his room because they were tired of hearing his wheezing.

Kamui with asthma is canon now.

You're wrong. The OTHER characters sound-proofed his room because they were tired of hearing his wheezing.

Kamui with asthma is canon now.

As a person who had asthma problems for a long time... this is completely fine.

I watched the Ch5 cutscene and the fateful decision cutscene and I have to say... Azura sounded like an old lady after she got slashed by Dragon-Corrin. Also, I thought there was a typo in Xander's line.. I forgot that father was spelled.. Father, and I had a giggle fit over that.

I am not even going to worry about any possible characterization changes until I play the game in full, because it really feels too early to call it. The only thing that's going to bug me is those really awkward laughs, those "filler sounds", you know? It sounds so fake in the English version! I really hope the other characters' "laughs" are better.

I watched the Ch5 cutscene and the fateful decision cutscene and I have to say... Azura sounded like an old lady after she got slashed by Dragon-Corrin.

Considering she was just slashed by a dragon, it's no suprise her voice sounds weak.

If pay attention to her "Flowing like time" line, you can tell she's making a great effort just to even sing, it shows that a the monment she cleary weak and hurt. I quite like it actually.

I haven't watched the full video yet, but Hinoka does call the Nohr siblings scum in the Japanese version as well according to the videos and transcripts posted here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/114533-fire-emblem-fates-conquest/73040522 Edited by Medeus

I dislike it. Granted, I have some bias from playing the Japanese version first but I think the vulnerability expressed in the Japanese version was more moving. Marx's uncertain "Come back to us" is more dramatic than the more matter-of-fact "We're your family" in the English version. Likewise, I'm worried Takumi's portrayal will make him sound like a prejudiced jerk instead of just being deeply insecure. That's the whole reason people grew to like him.

Mmm, yeah, it's too early for me to tell for most of them. If it's well-written over the course of the stories, I probably won't mind the changes made (though editing my fanfic to match will be a pain).

So far... I feel, for my own opinions of the JP vs localized characters, Hinoka and Takumi benefited, while Xander and Sakura may not have, with everyone else kinda not giving me enough 'important' material to decide.

Hinoka, tbh, I think could use the color she'd get from being more anti-Nohr. Not that I really have a problem with JP!Hinoka, but I always kinda felt her character was a lil... flat, I guess? in the actual story. Giving her something to talk about other than Corrin I think should be good for her character. JP!Takumi was just a lil too childish/immature for my tastes. It was justified given his age and what not, but because of that, I actually never warmed up to him. Making him more sure of himself already helps my opinion of him.

Xander... What I liked about Marx was that he was this stereotypical 'strong' character who was actually quite vulnerable... But some particular lines they changed for Xander, that one from the cutscene you mentioned and the line when he and Corrin reunite, make me wonder if they retconned that vulnerability? Or at least diminished its prevalence in his character? Which would be disappointing to me, personally, mostly because I liked how he deviated from that stereotype. Sakura, I think, was another character who really needed her weaker bits, more to make her strong moments really standout and to emphasize her insecurities. But like Xander, there's nothing to say they didn't change her character (or just make her strong moments stronger to compensate).

Eh, who's to say at this point, I suppose.

Considering she was just slashed by a dragon, it's no suprise her voice sounds weak.

If pay attention to her "Flowing like time" line, you can tell she's making a great effort just to even sing, it shows that a the monment she cleary weak and hurt. I quite like it actually.

Nah, I know. I enjoyed it too. Doesn't change the fact that she suddenly became grandma tho.

Edit: Ya know... watching the fateful decision again, I thiiink I prefer Smash Xander's delivery of "We're your family." over this one. He just sounded so condescending and like he was looking down on the Hoshdians. Overall that might not suit Xander but I still think I prefer it.

Edited by lordcorrin

Xander... What I liked about Marx was that he was this stereotypical 'strong' character who was actually quite vulnerable... But some particular lines they changed for Xander, that one from the cutscene you mentioned and the line when he and Corrin reunite, make me wonder if they retconned that vulnerability? Or at least diminished its prevalence in his character? Which would be disappointing to me, personally, mostly because I liked how he deviated from that stereotype. Sakura, I think, was another character who really needed her weaker bits, more to make her strong moments really standout and to emphasize her insecurities. But like Xander, there's nothing to say they didn't change her character (or just make her strong moments stronger to compensate).

You're over-thinking things.

One line change doesn't signify a major alteration to an entire character. "We're your family" comes off as a tad passive-aggressive ("They aren't"), and also feels like he hasn't fully grasped the situation at hand. "What? Really? This is happening?"

I don't know who made the voice for Garon, but he reminded me a lot of Tayama from Shin Megami Tensei IV, who easily had the best voice actor, next to Nozomi, Navarre and Walter. He's alright in my book. Awakening kinda set the bar high for Voice Acting in Fates, didn't it? I hope if they keep dual audio at least it's not glitched out like Awakening's.