Chapter 5 Cutscene + 15 Minutes gameplay footage in English

RidellCrimea

Question! Have we seen whether the localization uses "Shirasagi" or "Shirazaki" for the name of Hoshido's capital? I'm curious as to which they went with (and well all the location names)

I really wish they'd bring the magic triangle back, made mage vs mage fights more fun. I also wonder why they don't like light magic all of a sudden?

Putting some responses in the spoiler cause it'll discuse chapters outside of 5:

But is this really greying her character? Sure, calling people scum based on their nationality is "racist" but their grudge is justified. Nohr is still the evil empire and Hoshido the peaceful paradise. Unless Hinoka goes around kicking Nohrian puppies, her slurs are hardly disproportionate to what Nohrians did to her family. Keep in mind, they killed BOTH her parents (one recently) and kidnapped her brother.

Thing is we already get racist Hoshidans in the random chapter bosses on Nohr's route, they're the ones who insult Nohrian based on their race and that's the only place I can remember seeing it (none of the royals apart from Takumi do). Dehumanizing the enemy is a fact but is a bad thing and isn't justification for hating a people group in general that can be considered "good" it just is and causes things like internment camps to happen. FE9 did a good job of showing the blind fear and hate with the Daein citizens who refuse Ike's aid supplies and spit at them because they're with the enemy army, but FE14 doesn't really have any equivalent narrative space to address this. And I know all those reasons why Hinoka has beef with Nohr, it's the same in the Japanense script but I can't recall her ever using "Nohrian scum" or any similarly racially charged insult in those original lines despite the backstory. So having localized Hinoka say it isn't a direct translation but instead taking artistic liberties in the depiction of the character- thus why others in this thread theorize they're trying to "grey up" her personality.

Hmm... I thought for sure it was mentioned in Chapter 6, but I guess it was just an interpretation of the line. I do remember it popping up in one of the later chapters, but I don't remember which route I saw it in.

As mentioned before though, within the context the line is in, it's not as damaging to the character as I think you're getting at, it just seems like she's embittered towards the people that have caused her pain and she's telling them to back off of her brother/sister. If it becomes more prominent in lines and plot points then before, then we can be concerned, but as it is now, it's not too indicative of what the plan is for her character.

If you do happen to remember please let me know, as right now I can't recall it ever happening in what fans have translated. In Hoshido route Chapter 13 Hinoka says to Camilla "Stop it! Let go of my brother/sister!" and that's it, nothing about the fact Cam's Nohrian. Even in Nohr route Chapter 24 she doesn't use such insults when presumably they've killed her younger siblings and slaughtered their way there through Shirazaki. Instead all she talks about Kamui which is bad writing, but I'll take it over racist insults and overtones to the character. She does say "pawn of Nohr" but like Ryouma's "Nohrian commander" in localized Chapter 5 it's more concerned with the enemy military and the threat they pose by being used, rather than the sole fact that they're Nohrian and thus scum, ect.

People in this thread have also mentioned their worries about the subtleties of character being missed, Marx's vulnerability and Takumi's insecurity, because little changes in the wording. I'm worried that localization added an element to Hinoka's character that wasn't there at all before- she never made racially charged insults in the Japanese script despite have all the same motivational justifications, it just wasn't part of her character. But for whatever reason localization has decided to add it, I dunno if they changed a bunch or if it's a one-off, but it's there now and therefore canon which leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. It's an interpretation of the character I do not like, feel free to disagree, but all the "it makes sense to insult their race cause they're the enemy and she's got beef" arguments won't change the issue I have- which is Hinoka wasn't racist in the original script and now she is. And my resulting worry that the added racism wouldn't really be addressed, that instead it'll just have happen, unresolved, and be ignored which I'd find particularly frustrating in a character I was looking forward to playing first-hand.

Edited by Damosel

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question! Have we seen whether the localization uses "Shirasagi" or "Shirazaki" for the name of Hoshido's capital? I'm curious as to which they went with (and well all the location names)

Chapter titles:

Chapter 5= Mother
Takes place in the devastated Shirasagi Castle Town

I can't take Niles seriously... I mean come on... I realise there's already a character called Nils, but what about just Nil? Neil? Zilcho?

Anything but Niles considering now I can't get the picture of Dr. Niles Crane out of my head when I look at him.

I'm considering naming my FMU Daphne and marrying him.

Edited by nordopolica

Would be nice if someone could list all the new info from that, but from what I see...

Male Troubadours. ok folks, whatever you say

I didn't catch the name for Revenant Knights, but....eh.

The name changes,

Severa's

aside, the others are kind of silly. I mean really now.

Alright let me see then....

Zero>Niles

Iron Kunai>Iron Dagger

"Dusk Armory"

"Staff Store"

"Mess"

Mozume>Mozu (DAMNIT PEOPLE WHY)

Seems like it's Bronze for Nohr weapons, Brass for Hoshido

Revenant Knight>Malig Knight (What the hell?)

Luna>Selena (Coughs)

Belka>Beruka (What the hell?)

Rod Knight>Troubadour

Others:

Outlaw

Nyx

Fighter

Odin

Lancer

And I think that's all? All I saw anyway

(Iron Bow aside, etc)

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

So

Zero -> Niles

Mozume -> Mozu

Luna -> Selena

Belka -> Beruka

Revenant Knight -> Malig Knight

Kunai -> Dagger

Also we have Brass for Hoshidan weapons and Bronze for Nohrian weapons?

Who's left for possibilities for Llewellyn? It doesn't sound like a Hoshidan name.

Sooo...if anyone is curious on the name changes:

Luna: Selena

Belka: Beruka

Mozume: Mozu (the "me" syllable is dropped)

Zero: Niles

So yeah, in regards to the name changes. the Hoshido name changes are either shortened (i.e. Suzukaze to Kaze), or syllables or letters dropped (i.e. Tsubaki to Subaki). Across from that, the Nohrian character names so far are the only ones that have drastic localization name changes.

So

Zero -> Niles

Mozume -> Mozu

Luna -> Selena

Belka -> Beruka

Revenant Knight -> Malig Knight

Kunai -> Dagger

Also we have Brass for Hoshidan weapons and Bronze for Nohrian weapons?

Who's left for possibilities for Llewellyn? It doesn't sound like a Hoshidan name.

I thought we already had examples of Kunai from gameplay of Chapter 2 way back? Maybe they changed it.

Llewellyn could be Benoit or Asura.

I thought we already had examples of Kunai from gameplay of Chapter 2 way back? Maybe they changed it.

Llewellyn could be Benoit or Asura.

They were called Iron Kunai before. They definitely changed it.

I'm feeling Siegbert becoming Llewellyn. It apparently means leader or lion.

Adding on to name changes from previous footage, the Brass Club and Katanta used to be Bronze.

Edited by Konnor97

Please tell me Belka's isn't final. It's literally just her Japanese name left un-romanized.

We don't have Revenants in this game, so going for "malign" with a syllable lopped off is pretty cringe-worthy.

These name changes are pretty funny, but I don't think I can ever wrap my head around Niles. Or Selena. Although figured that her name was going to be changed.

And if Siegbert is Llewellyn, well...still finding his name ridiculous. But also hilarious.

Dear gods, what were they thinking?

They shorten Mozume to Mozu, probably because it is "hard to pronounce" or something silly like that. Which is already stupid but THEN they just use Beruka? What is the logic behind that? Someone tell me please.

And Selena for Severa is like the least useful code name. Just imagine her in My Room going "I can't tell anyone else, but my real name isn't Selena.. it's SEVERA!! Now you know my most well-hidden secret."

Niles is simply ridiculous. That's a name for an accountant or other door to door salesman. What was wrong with Zero anyway?

These name changes are pretty funny, but I don't think I can ever wrap my head around Niles. Or Selena. Although figured that her name was going to be changed.

And if Siegbert is Llewellyn, well...still finding his name ridiculous. But also hilarious.

I think it's cute, but I doubt it's Siegbert. I'm thinking Asyura or Ganz.

I think that the change of name Zero to Niles shudder is a way to make him sounds more exotic somehow... also I feel as if they will change his character to someone who is just sadistic, on the shop he comments about all these "lovely weapons" and that is something I would expect from someone like Pieri...

Niles isn't so bad, and Selena is similar to Severa's japanese name.

Now that I think about, maybe Lazwald will be called Azur in the localization or something similar or a blue-related name.

Llewellyn is most likely Benoit, since Asura is Hoshidan.

And dammint, with those echoing voices, I can't indentify the voice actors.

Edited by Water Mage